Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you filthy heathens reading atm?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think it has already been mentioned, but giving it a bump as the auther has died.

I am Legend.

MrP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Now that truly is a kick in the nads.

Incredible book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Aw, that's a shame. I loved I Am Legend, cracking vampire apocalypse book with some brilliant ideas.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fantastic book, my only criticism is I thought it could have been longer. Loved the atmosphere he created and didn't want it to end.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Just finished solaris. Really *really* enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Just finished Mumbo Jumbo by Francis Wheen. Great stuff.

Currently reading Of Mice and Men. Concurrently, I'm wading through The Quantum Universe (or whatever it's called) by Brian Cox and friend, and The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mladinov (sp?).

The old brain, she cannae take any more, Captain...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Reading The Worthy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell

It's about the Puritans who left england to escape prosecution and ended up founding what is now the Boston area.
    It's a very funny look at this part of history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on 'the information' by james gleick. the bit i'm currently at seems like an easier version of 'godel escher bach'; but gleick is usually very good with scientific topics.

Started on "The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson. Tis very good.

Just finished, superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Just finished, superb.

I might give it a look. I was actually pleased with his work on WoT, thought it was better than Jordan's later books.

Currently reading The Child Garden by Geoff Ryman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

Just finished "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance " for the 17th time. A book that directs a lot of my life; kinda know what the bible baskets feel on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Just started One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich again.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Just finished the Oh my God Delusion by Ross o Carroll Kelly, just started The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins

See what I did there:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Sarky wrote: »
    Aw, that's a shame. I loved I Am Legend, cracking vampire apocalypse book with some brilliant ideas.

Read it, it finished, I was like... wtf, there's tonnes of book left then realised it was just a short story in a book of short stories. Very unimpressed as it was a cracking read up till then.

Started on "The Passion Of The Western Mind: Understanding the Ideas That Have Shaped Our World View" by Richard Tarnas. Very good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

There is a new book coming out soon which I think will be of interest to any filthy heathen who is curious about the ultimate real reason why they or anything else actually exists.

Its about "The Mathematical Universe Hypothesis" which was first suggested by MIT Theoretical Physics professor Max Tegmark in the 1990's. Its kind of taken off in the last few years in the Theoretical Physics community having gone through all the various different criticisms that scientists can throw at it.

The Hypothesis itself claims that the entire universe, everthing and anything, is nothing more than a giant mathematical structure. Its the only consistent scientific explanation for the existence of the Universe that doesnt end up with you asking "But where did this come from?" or "But who created the thing before the thing?" or "But what came before the Universe before our Universe?". Some of you may be familiar with theories of everything like String Theory. Thing is that even if String Theory (or any of its competitors) is proved correct in the future, it still leaves gapping holes in our understanding of the universe like "Why String Theory as a fundamental theory?"

And yes I have to admit that it actually sounds more whacky than believing in Gods and giant Elephants with 6 arms but its built on sound science. Even if The Mathematical Universe Hypothesis is proved wrong, that result itself will make for absolutely amazing science and tell us a huge amount about our Universe.

9780307599803?&height=281&maxwidth=190

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

swampgas wrote: »
    Have just read "Ready Player One", and having finished it, have started reading it a second time. The most fun book I've read in ages.
    Amazon Reviews Here

For anyone remotely geeky who grew up in the 80s, this is an absolute gem.

Picked this up on your recommendation and reading the amazon reviews. Finished it in 3 days and it is the only thing keeping me sane on a 6 day work week. Thanks! Great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Picked this up on your recommendation and reading the amazon reviews. Finished it in 3 days and it is the only thing keeping me sane on a 6 day work week. Thanks! Great read.

Thanks for the heads up on this one; the reviews are excellent.
    I just Amazoned it, so it's on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Just started reading Blackwater: The Rise Of The World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army by Jeremy Scahill.

Excellent so far. Well worth a read for anyone who isn't disgusted enough at the United States' foreign policy. This will just push you over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Some great recommendations here, thanks everyone. I love Christopher Hitchens & Richard Dawkins. I just read "Arguably" & "Hitch 22" by Hitch, and "Unweaving the Rainbow" by Richard Dawkins. I just finished "Rogue States" by Noam Chomsky, that was interesting.

I'm just about to start "The Wasp Factory" and "Crow Road" by Iain Banks, but I see there are some more good Banks books recommended here.

My current book is "Umberella" by Will Self, finding it a bit hard going, I've found that with other Will Self books, but I'll persevere. It's all one long stream of conciousness, no chapter breaks or paragraphs or anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Some great recommendations here, thanks everyone. I love Christopher Hitchens & Richard Dawkins. I just read "Arguably" & "Hitch 22" by Hitch, and "Unweaving the Rainbow" by Richard Dawkins. I just finished "Rogue States" by Noam Chomsky, that was interesting.

I'm just about to start "The Wasp Factory" and "Crow Road" by Iain Banks, but I see there are some more good Banks books recommended here.

My current book is "Umberella" by Will Self, finding it a bit hard going, I've found that with other Will Self books, but I'll persevere. It's all one long stream of conciousness, no chapter breaks or paragraphs or anything!
    If you like Hitchens read Mortality.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Currently reading On Another Man's Wound by Ernie O'Malley and also Dead Drunk: Saving myself from alcoholism in a Thai monastery by Paul Garrigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Strumpet City

Just started 'No God but God'.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Just bit the bullet and bought 'Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid'. Seen some brilliant reviews on the internet. Anyone here read it and what did they think?
    Also bought Ender's Game seen as there has been so much hype about it here.

Haven't been reading in the last while because of work but looking forward to getting stuck into these two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Just bit the bullet and bought 'Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid'. Seen some brilliant reviews on the internet. Anyone here read it and what did they think?
    Also bought Ender's Game seen as there has been so much hype about it here.

Haven't been reading in the last while because of work but looking forward to getting stuck into these two.
    I have Godel, Escher, Bach sitting on my shelf but it's currently just looking very imposing. Shall finish off The Shining and work out if i'm willing to start it...

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I have Godel, Escher, Bach sitting on my shelf but it's currently just looking very imposing. Shall finish off The Shining and work out if i'm willing to start it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I bought it shortly after it was first published and found it one of those books that's impossible to classify.

I'm not sure it succeeds in its aim of describing cognition and consciousness and how they can arise from inanimate matter, but as "a metaphorical fugue upon minds and machines", the work is thought-provoking, profound, brilliant and essentially flawless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Was reading Thinking fast and slow
    Currently reading http://www.danpink.com/books/drive

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Also bought Ender's Game [...]
    ...which is appearing on screens in October.

Unfortunately, there have been calls for a boycott of the film on account of Card's unhealthy views of his non-heterosexual fellow-citizens. So Card has asked that people forget that he spent years fighting against marriage equality and instead, show him "tolerance".

Advertisement