Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you filthy heathens reading atm?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Cocaine Diaries

The story of a middle aged Dublin man who out of desperation agrees to smuggle several kilos of cocaine from South America back to Ireland. For his services, he would be paid €10,000.

Of course, echoing Midnight Express, he is caught at the airport in Caracas by the Venezuelan authorities. From here, his nightmare begins.

He is plunged into a world where death, sexual assault and grievous bodily harm could come at any moment, and that is just at the hands of the local police. He is flung into the notorious Los Teques prison on the outskirts of Caracas and describes life in the Dickensian hell hole.

Really worth a read. And an extreme cautionary tale for anyone who might be stupid enough to try something similar and who believes the adage "I won't get caught. It won't happen to me".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I just finished Ubik by Philip K. Dick. I'd be very surprised if The Langoliers by King wasn't heavily influenced by this.
    I went on to read Do Dreams Dream of Electric Sheep after this. Also very good. Entropy seems to be the theme of choice in both.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

swampgas wrote: »
    [...] Orson Scott Card writes morality into his books.
    Orson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I will get my hands on that book. I read The Langoliers in my teens and I loved it.

I recently read Rebecca by Daphne de Maurier. I had never read it before. One of the best books I have ever read. It was so good that I ordered two more of her books off Amazon, but they didn't come close. Found them very hard to get into.
    I wouldn't call it the best ever, but I quite liked it.
    I LOVED the mitchell & webb skit on it :D

Hate philip k dick

Just finished kate elliott's jaran books, and "the killing moon"
    http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Moon-Dreamblood-N-Jemisin/dp/0316187283
    Love kate elliott
    Onto tad williams next

Currently reading East of Eden and LOVING it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Currently reading East of Eden and LOVING it!

Is that the thing with the dinosaur people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

bluewolf wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it the best ever, but I quite liked it.
    I LOVED the mitchell & webb skit on it :D

Hate philip k dick

Just finished kate elliott's jaran books, and "the killing moon"
    http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Moon-Dreamblood-N-Jemisin/dp/0316187283
    Love kate elliott
    Onto tad williams next

If you're going to start reading Tad Williams I'd recommend War of The Flowers before getting stuck in any of the series. It's kinda like a grown-up Narnia.

Oh, and before you write off Philip K Dick, might I suggest The Man in the High Castle. It's one of his better but less well-known ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    If you're going to start reading Tad Williams I'd recommend War of The Flowers before getting stuck in any of the series. It's kinda like a grown-up Narnia.
    Oh, I've read his Otherland stuff, and tried the um... shadow something. Liked it.
    Dragonbone chair is what I'm on now
    Oh, and before you write off Philip K Dick, might I suggest The Man in the High Castle. It's one of his better but less well-known ones.
    I might do... :)

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

For the fans of Enders Game, the trailer for the movie has been released.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just finished Pratchett's Pyramids, now starting John Fowles' The Magus.

swampgas wrote: »
    Ender's Game is a book that made a big impact on me when I read it, so I was rather curious when a friend of mine pointed me to this analysis of the book. I'm still trying to make sense of it, but it's an interesting take on how Orson Scott Card writes morality into his books.

Thought I'd post the link in case any other Ender's Game fans want to have a look.

That's really interesting

Banna and Ber did you ever read those Elliott and Kerr books

Giving Dracula a go. I vant to zuk your blaad etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Giving Dracula a go. I vant to zuk your blaad etc etc
    Big fan. Can't help but think of visuals like steam trains overlayed on maps of Europe and stuff like that. Classic.

kylith wrote: »
    starting John Fowles' The Magus.
    Read half of that last year -- it has its moment, but a too many longeurs and psychoanalytic hat-tips for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

robindch wrote: »
    Read half of that last year -- it has its moment, but a too many longeurs and psychoanalytic hat-tips for my liking.

I read it a few years back and thought it was good. It's been preying on my mind recently so I decided to give it another go, see if it holds up the second time round. If not, it's back to my Pratchett marathon.

Dades wrote: »
    Big fan. Can't help but think of visuals like steam trains overlayed on maps of Europe and stuff like that. Classic.

TBH I can't get the Mel Brooks spoof out of my head while I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Dades wrote: »

Dracula is a fantastic read.really atmospheric. Gotta love frankenstein too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Lets Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris.

The book is just as good as the name suggests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

Reading "Into the Woods - a five act journey into story" by John Yorke. I heard the author interviewed about the book and decided to try it, so far so good. As someone who has never studied art or literature, but has heard (in passing) of books like Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces", it's fascinating, if unfamiliar, territory.

Well known films like The Godfather and Being John Malkovich, and recent TV series like Life on Mars and The Sopranos are used along with classic plays and books to illustrate the structure of stories, which makes it more interesting and accessible (to me anyway!) than it might be otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I finished reading Immaculate Deception, that book on Christina Gallagher. That was quite an eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Note to self: use "Immaculate Deception" as a potential title when I get around to writing a story where the villain tries to become a god. :pac: I've already thought of "God Is (Not) Great".

(C) PopePalpatine, 2013 - 70 years after my death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Just about to order Godel, Escher and Bach... Should I add anything else to the basket? Have tons of fiction to read so I want to mix things up somewhat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Enders game, yes I know the author is a douche or whatever. Great book. What order do you suggest I read the rest in?
    Publication date
    Ender's Game (1985) – Nebula Award winner, 1985;[1] Hugo Award winner, 1986;[1] Locus Award nominee, 1986[1]
    Speaker for the Dead (1986) – Nebula Award winner, 1986;[1] Hugo & Locus Awards winner, 1987;[1] Campbell Award nominee, 1987[1]
    Xenocide (1991) – Hugo and Locus Awards nominee, 1992[8]
    Children of the Mind (1996)
    Ender's Shadow (1999) – Shortlisted for a Locus Award, 2000[9]
    Shadow of the Hegemon (2001) – Shortlisted for a Locus Award, 2002[10]
    Shadow Puppets (2002)
    First Meetings (2002) – short story collection
    Shadow of the Giant (2005)
    A War of Gifts: An Ender Story (2007)
    Ender in Exile (2008)
    Shadows in Flight (2012)
    Earth Unaware (2012)
    Earth Afire (2013) – Scheduled for Release June 4, 2013 [11]
    Shadows Alive (forthcoming, originally planned as part of "Shadows in Flight")

Chronological order
    Earth Unaware
    Earth Afire
    Earth Awakens
    First Meetings
    Ender's Game
    Ender's Shadow (Note: The events of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow take place in roughly the same time period.)
    A War of Gifts (Note: This takes place during Ender's Game/Ender's Shadow.)
    Shadow of the Hegemon
    Shadow Puppets
    Shadow of the Giant
    Ender in Exile (Note: This takes place during Shadow of the Hegemon and through Shadow of the Giant)
    Shadows in Flight
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide
    Children of the Mind
    Shadows Alive
    "Ender Back Again"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm trying to read Trainspotting, but Glaswegian English is so damn hard to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Psst... it's Edinburgh! You get used to it eventually. By the end of the book you'll have to stop yourself from calling people radge bastids in your real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm trying to read Trainspotting, but Glaswegian English is so damn hard to read.

Just use urban dictionary, shur, you'll be grand like.

Have a read of Iain Banks' The Bridge - Banks produced long doses of Glaswegian argot years before Welsh did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

A book I finished last week was Inferno, the latest Robert Langdon adventure by Dan Brown

Advertisement