Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sminky animation fad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

So you're trying to be the AVGN with a cracked copy of Flash, so?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MikeyS9607

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Give us the titles of some of your vids on Newgrounds or YouTube, I'm feeling all Roger Ebert this evening and I'm armed with a webcam

[url]Http://mikeys9607.Newgrounds.com/movies[/url]
    [url]Http://mikeys9607.Newgrounds.com/games[/url]
    (These are better. I don't make many movies anymore since last year.)
    [url]Http://Youtube.com/Mikeys9607[/url]
    Reviews and ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

MikeyS9607 wrote: »
    It's not effort. It's as simple as recording my voice, downloading clips and images, and putting them together by dragging and dropping.

Anyhoo, I've made reviews of bad things for years. I'm not even the first! Bad games, mostly but I sometimes review good stuff too. I wanted to take my reviews in a new direction with movies and animations too, so why not start big? If I wasn't gonna go for Sminky, I would have gone for another animator.
    Still far too much time expenditure for something so innocuous and more importantly; something so subjective as humour. Plus, you know what they say about critics. ;)

So you're trying to be the AVGN with a cracked copy of Flash, so?

First off, my reviews are more indepth than some diharrea jokes. Secondly, I don't use flash to make reviews. I use it to make games/movies.

Adyx wrote: »
    Still far too much time expenditure for something so innocuous. Plus, you know what they say about critics. ;)

The more the merrier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

[URL]Http://mikeys9607.Newgrounds.com/movies[/URL]
    [URL]Http://mikeys9607.Newgrounds.com/games[/URL]
    [URL]Http://Youtube.com/Mikeys9607[/URL]
    Reviews and ****.

Your movies are so exquisitely good that they have an average score of less than three. Good on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

[url]Http://mikeys9607.Newgrounds.com/movies[/url]
    [url]Http://mikeys9607.Newgrounds.com/games[/url]
    [url]Http://Youtube.com/Mikeys9607[/url]
    Reviews and ****.
    I don't see how you can complain about smikeys animation skills after watching those. The animation is fairly basic, I'd even say more basic than sminkeys, he went for a particular style and pulled it off well.. Your also illegally using other peoples content (music, characters), Smikey can actually make money off his animations, you can't without running the risk of being sued.

I don't like putting others creative work down but your bringing this on yourself now.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see how you can complain about smikeys animation skills after watching those. The animation is fairly basic, I'd even say more basic than sminkeys, he went for a particular style and pulled it off well.. Your also illegally using other peoples content (music, characters), Smikey can actually make money off his animations, you can't without running the risk of being sued.

I don't like putting others creative work down but your bringing this on yourself now.

I never said I could do better than Sminky. Saying I can't criticize someone even though I'm not as good as them is like saying "I don't like the president, but I can't criticize because I haven't been president.". Also my works count as Parody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

It's not effort. It's as simple as recording my voice, downloading clips and images, and putting them together by dragging and dropping.

Anyhoo, I've made reviews of bad things for years. I'm not even the first! Bad games, mostly but I sometimes review good stuff too. I wanted to take my reviews in a new direction with movies and animations too, so why not start big? If I wasn't gonna go for Sminky, I would have gone for another animator.

So your a professional whingebag at the ripe old age of 16. Might I suggest trying to actually create something yourself ? Its all too easy to sit there and whinge about what other people are doing but its essentially a complete waste of everyone's time. The world doesn't need any more critics, youtube certainly doesnt need any more. You'll end up wasting your time whinging, get nothing but abuse for it and end up an angry cynical man with nothing but hatred and contempt for the world.

Scioch wrote: »
    So your a professional whingebag at the ripe old age of 16. Might I suggest trying to actually create something yourself ? Its all too easy to sit there and whinge about what other people are doing but its essentially a complete waste of everyone's time. The world doesn't need any more critics, youtube certainly doesnt need any more. You'll end up wasting your time whinging, get nothing but abuse for it and end up an angry cynical man with nothing but hatred and contempt for the world.

Strange. I get a majority of praise comments on my other reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 lapidifer

Give us a link to your stuff. Otherwise you're just a crank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

May I say that it's not that far from creating something original? "You'll end up wasting your time whinging, get nothing but abuse for it and end up an angry cynical man with nothing but hatred and contempt for the world." Just replace the word whinging with creating and you'll end up with a lot of Irish artist's experiences.
    I think at 16, it doesn't hurt to have an opinion and create something from it (even though I haven't watched the clips he made), but it might be something to be more proud of if, at 16, you make something original without criticising someone else's work. Obviously, there's drive and ambition there - but maybe put it to better use than bringing someone else down eh?

Well your not exactly hitting the big time. That sminky review is the only thing that has gotten attention and your being hung drawn and quartered for it. The rest nobody seems to give a shít about and even those are only 50/50 with the thumbs. Its the nature of youtube, people will either like your stuff or they will hate it. As you've demonstrated with the sminky review. Kids these days cant just not like something, they have to be actively dismissing it. And it'll all come back around on ya.

I never said I could do better than Sminky. Saying I can't criticize someone even though I'm not as good as them is like saying "I don't like the president, but I can't criticize because I haven't been president.". Also my works count as Parody.
    Fair enough but your criticizing someone else work when I don't think you fully understand the work he's put into it.
    So your a professional whingebag at the ripe old age of 16.
    Now it all makes sense. I thought I was class at that age too, he'll learn humility, probably the hard way.

Well your not exactly hitting the big time. That sminky review is the only thing that has gotten attention and your being hung drawn and quartered for it. The rest nobody seems to give a shít about and even those are only 50/50 with the thumbs. Its the nature of youtube, people will either like your stuff or they will hate it. As you've demonstrated with the sminky review. Kids these days cant just not like something, they have to be actively dismissing it. And it'll all come back around on ya.
    The sminky video isn't my most viewed. It's my Crappy Lamd Before Time Games video. And I make money off that.

As for whoever asked for links to my videos where the comments are either praise or not just petty insults:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=roOaSUPV69E
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=E2SKm2f47JE
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=H_1FmtzmGCg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The sminky video isn't my most viewed. It's my Crappy Lamd Before Time Games video. And I make money off that.

As for whoever asked for links to my videos where the comments are either praise or not just petty insults:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=roOaSUPV69E
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=E2SKm2f47JE
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=H_1FmtzmGCg

You have the voice of an angel.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Shryke wrote: »
    If I critique your review then i'm lowering myself to pretty insults. Right.
    Nothing personal, but straight up called him a pussy before you even got rolling. Right.
    [\QUOTE]
    That was an annotation added later AFTER the video was reinstated by Google.
    I don't think there is freedom of speech on YouTube. Some licencing agreement or something. Terms and conditions and all that.
    [\QUOTE]
    Licensing? You need a LICENCE TO ALLOW FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Excuse me while I facepalm. Also, research: http://www.youtube.com/t/community_guidelines clearly says they ENCOURAGE FREE SPEECH and allow defense of unpopular opinion.

The second video wasn't about Sminky. It was about stupid comments.

What does it matter when you added personal abuse? It's still no less there and it is abuse of a personal nature. You're claiming that you're not being personally abusive.

As far as it goes I don't believe you are entitled to free speech on Youtube but I haven't actually read the fine print. I'm sure they say they encourage free speech but the site is also moderated somewhat and can be flagged for content. We're talking about a website not the American constitution. Caps lock is never necessary btw.
    Don't accidentally punch yourself in the head when you facepalm. That would be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mikey is getting what he wants here. Everyone asking for his video to view it is increasing his views.

I love Sminky Animations! :D

Come on 6 comments and 10 votes on your most viewed clip. And even 5 of those were down votes. I think its safe to say bar the sminky one people are fairly indifferent to your stuff.

As far as viewer feedback the sminky one is the only one people responded to and not in a good way.

If I critique your review then i'm lowering myself to pretty insults. Right.
    Nothing personal, but straight up called him a pussy before you even got rolling. Right.
    [\QUOTE]
    That was an annotation added later AFTER the video was reinstated by Google.

What does it matter when you added personal abuse? It's still no less there and it is abuse of a personal nature. You're claiming that you're not being personally abusive.

As far as it goes I don't believe you are entitled to free speech on Youtube but I haven't actually read the fine print. I'm sure they say they encourage free speech but the site is also moderated somewhat and can be flagged for content. [\QUOTE] Read the page. It says cear as they they allow freedom of speech as long as it isn't hate speech. YouTube isn't privately owned. My video has been screened by YouTube when Sminky false flagged my video for copyright infringement. I'm surprised YouTube doesn't terminate his account. Like they say they can do if the copyright infringement report tool is abused. Guess he makes them a fair amount of $$$$. If they saw a problem they would have had it taken down.
    We're talking about a website not the American constitution. Caps lock is never necessary btw.
    Don't accidentally punch yourself in the head when you facepalm. That would be awful.
    YouTube, or should I say Google, are an American company. YouTube is NOT privately owned.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Mikey is getting what he wants here. Everyone asking for his video to view it is increasing his views.

I love Sminky Animations! :D

Sminky made a thread on Boards to post his videos. Also, I don't mind people liking Sminky Shorts, but I can still criticize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Mikey I'd appreciate it if you could respond to my post.

Also, youtube do not allow total freedom of speech. You can't personally abuse, slander or incite hatred.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Mikey I can't find your video. Could you link? What is your constructive criticism? Your posts here don't read as constructive at all.

The videos are funny because they poke fun at Irish culture. Sure they are exaggerated but that's called artistic licence. The accents are really well done and the scenarios are funny because they are fairly true to life e.g. two auld wans lamenting the loss of a good soul is fairly similar to the scenario where the two mice lament the loss of their friend. Two auld wans shaking their heads and imploring their son to slow down in the car lest he do damage is like the Tommy video. Except the scenarios Sminky created are funnier because they play on these everyday Irish situations by wildly exaggerating them and casting cute animated animals in the roles of the Irish people.

I find them hilarious to be honest. A nice amusing look at Irish society in the same vein as Father Ted.
    You can like them. Just like I can not like them. The whole Irish humor thing is simply not amusing to me. I can't stand the overplayed accents. Without them, They're nothing. I have never experienced any of the scenarios you've mentioned, so it's not relatable to me.

Mikey I'd appreciate it if you could respond to my post.

Also, youtube do not allow total freedom of speech. You can't personally abuse, slander or incite hatred.

I did neither. Calling someone a pussy is simply me saying "You couldn't handle this video's criticism of you, could you."

You can like them. Just like I can not like them. The whole Irish humor thing is simply not amusing to me. I can't stand the overplayed accents. Without them, They're nothing. I have never experienced any of the scenarios you've mentioned, so it's not relatable to me.

But how is that criticism constructive? Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? I just find it hard to believe that an Irish person could be so divorced from society that they have never come across any similar situations to the ones in the shorts.

The accents aren't overplayed either imo. It's the scenarios that I was referring to when I was talking about exaggeration. And can you link to the video? I can't find it at all.

Do you watch Father Ted?

I did neither. Calling someone a pussy is simply me saying "You couldn't handle this video's criticism of you, could you."

It counts as personal abuse and name-calling. Online bullying if you will.

That's a fair comment and a good criticism. However, in my view, it's going a little too far to knock an artist in their work with a pisstake. Hopefully that isn't a generational thing, because artists have enough trouble (in my experience) with thinking their own work is sh*t without everyone else telling them it is too. Y'kno that saying "If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all"? Well, it's not true for abusive to people stuff, obviously - but for people who don't harm anyone, I reckon that's a good policy.

Mikey, you're obviously an opinionated and talented young fella. How about making some use of that instead of the "video response" option? I think IMO that youtube do no one any favours with that option.

But how is that criticism constructive? .........
    Do you watch Father Ted?

I'm not sure criticism has to be constructive. In my opinion, it just has to be fair. And I think what he said there is fair, no matter where he comes from or what he has watched, in his experience those words come across as true for him. He does not relate to it. Fair enough.

BUT! He should realise that others can and do. Criticism is very subjective (look that up Mikey) but using words like "pussy" just shows his age. Not good. Not mature. Not interested.

I'm interested in Mikey's opinion if he would hold back from personalising his criticism and sticking to the facts (like how it affects/does not affect him).

Obliq wrote: »

I'm not sure criticism has to be constructive. In my opinion, it just has to be fair. And I think what he said there is fair, no matter where he comes from or what he has watched, in his experience those words come across as true for him. He does not relate to it. Fair enough.

BUT! He should realise that others can and do. Criticism is very subjective (look that up Mikey) but using words like "pussy" just shows his age. Not good. Not mature. Not interested.

I'm interested in Mikey's opinion if he would hold back from personalising his criticism and sticking to the facts (like how it affects/does not affect him).

Sorry Obliq I don't think I made myself clear. I was responding to Mikey specifically saying that his criticism was constructive. I agree that it is fair enough if he doesn't relate (although I am surprised and a bit curious about that).

That's it exactly. The shorts appeal because they do resonate with a large cross-section of Irish society. And yes personal abuse is unwarranted and undermines Mikey's criticism of the shorts.

I am also interested in his opinion and how it is formed (hence my question about where he lives although he doesn't have to answer that obviously).

• Advertisement

I can't stand the overplayed accents. Without them, They're nothing.
    Overplayed accents are common in allot of comedy, think Cletus from the Simpsons.

Advertisement