Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sminky animation fad

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MikeyS9607

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    But how is that criticism constructive? Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? I just find it hard to believe that an Irish person could be so divorced from society that they have never come across any similar situations to the ones in the shorts.

The accents aren't overplayed either imo. It's the scenarios that I was referring to when I was talking about exaggeration. And can you link to the video? I can't find it at all.

Do you watch Father Ted?

I've seen a bit of it. It's good. It doesn't act obnoxious with the accents, and the writing is pretty good. I'll put it this way. Sminky to me is total knacker talk in terms of accent (Nothing against Sminky, his impression is good. It's just he's doing an impression of something I hate). I know no one who's accent is as thick as the rooster. I don't get I can't do it, and I've never heard any old or young person say Thatsrightthatsrightthatsright. Outside of quoting this. The Tommy voice sounds like an even more stupid version of Barney Gumble woth that obnoxious accent.
    Just replace the voices in Sminky with dead air or a bland voice, and you don't have ****.
    Now to think of it I was at some rock thing with a friend, and it was so loud, and the had a silent Father Ted in the background, the one with the boxes in the road and te milk truck. It was still amusing without he sound.

Okay. I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I've done knacker accents in games before. For my friend, It had a knacker in one part, and I voiced it. That was more mocking. I made 2 games where you beat up a veriety of knackers. I animated a movie where the character blows a knacker up.

I get the vibe that Sminky glorifies knackers. It doesn't help that the really bad comments I get are the biggest mishmash of the English language I've ever seen outside of the Sonic fanbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MikeyS9607

ScumLord wrote: »
    Overplayed accents are common in allot of comedy, think Cletus from the Simpsons.

I never liked him, either. The only heavily accented characters I ever liked are Bunnie Rabbot and Applejack. Both because of being interesting characters in their respective series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I was a gob****e at 16 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MikeyS9607 wrote: »
    I've seen a bit of it. It's good. It doesn't act obnoxious with the accents, and the writing is pretty good. I'll put it this way. Sminky to me is total knacker talk in terms of accent (Nothing against Sminky, his impression is good. It's just he's doing an impression of something I hate). I know no one who's accent is as thick as the rooster. I don't get I can't do it, and I've never heard any old or young person say Thatsrightthatsrightthatsright. Outside of quoting this. The Tommy voice sounds like an even more stupid version of Barney Gumble woth that obnoxious accent. -
    You haven't lived yet, trust me they're out there. I work exhibitions from time to time and watching someone with a thick Scottish accent have a conversation with someone with a think Cork accent is roll around the floor funny, especially when they get thick with each other because they both think the other has a stupid accent or is putting on the accent to annoy the other one.

It's not knacker accents either, there may be one or two knacker accents but the majority aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I think these shorts are just so goddam awful and not representative of real life. I mean (snort) a talking animal? Get real. And why would they mostly have heavy Cork accents, surely they move around the country or are not all originally from Cork. Are we really supposed to believe the cognitive functions of farm animals match our own? Their faces and voice boxes aren't even formed to make the sounds I am hearing in the clip. I cannot simply swallow any more of this tripe. 0/3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Sminky was great back when there was less than a 1,000 views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I watched your review of the sminky shorts and I stopped once you started calling them "overrated, unfunny, badly animated piece of shit animations". You can't expect to have any credence as a reviewer with that kind of harsh biased take on things because it takes away your credibility and people just won't care for your opinion.

What I will say is that the sminky shorts have a very distinct, simplistic art style that works, and works well because there's charm there. Art is subjective but if we're going to be comparing talent, there's no comparison to what you've done, and what he's done.

I'm not normally one for these sorts of things but it's kind of a breath of fresh air and he's just having a laugh and doing something good and creative. Being so hostile and kicking off because of it won't achieve anything. Don't like it, don't watch it.
    You're more than welcome to your opinion but I fail to see how this could work anyone up to such a point considering most people who don't like it are simply indifferent to it and don't waste so much engery critisizing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Hippies! wrote: »
    You spelt your username wrong. Hipster! surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Hippies! wrote: »

I liked Sminky before it was uploaded on youtube.
    Ruined the whole thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

LOL, only just noticed he made a Cloverfield parody one :D
    Check out "Caterpillar", and be warned it's a little graphic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I can't do aahh!! I'll get soaaaaked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

ScumLord wrote: »
    Overplayed accents are common in allot of comedy, think Cletus from the Simpsons.

True, his accent is strong but what he says is funny too. It's not just about his accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

New ones for anyone thats missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Advertisement