Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash Dieback Disease (Chalara fraxinea) in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

thanks for that oldtree, however i suggest that those of us who have up close and personal experience of the disease may differ somewhat with the official figures, I do not suggest that the figures are wrong, I am sure they represent the extent of the departments of governance's various knowledge of the situation, however wherever I go, i see it, locally and on various journeys farther afield.

I'd like to offer my opinion that removal of infected trees is somewhat less helpful than simply spraying the leaf litter at leaf fall with a bit of urea (50% solution in water) to promote decomposition and prevent breeding of the infective agent.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Thanks for that tip about the urea Tim, I was thinking about spreading fast acting granulated lime to break down the leaves but that gives me another option. I would agree with you about the spread of the disease, it's starting to steamroll now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

thanks for that oldtree, however i suggest that those of us who have up close and personal experience of the disease may differ somewhat with the official figures, I do not suggest that the figures are wrong, I am sure they represent the extent of the departments of governance's various knowledge of the situation, however wherever I go, i see it, locally and on various journeys farther afield.

I would suggest that current findings figures by the dept are not the full tally, and have not been for some time. Stating "no of counties" on the current findings instead of actual numbers of findings has been/is disingenuous.

426677.png

The Dept map is also somewhat disingenuous, as it does not give even a rough location of commercial nurseries and garden centres. These clear vector sites, even roughly indicated, would have given a better indication of possible locally future infected sites.
    I'd like to offer my opinion that removal of infected trees is somewhat less helpful than simply spraying the leaf litter at leaf fall with a bit of urea (50% solution in water) to promote decomposition and prevent breeding of the infective agent.

tim

Thats a very good idea tim. Taken a step further, spray the trees too, to catch any detritus, etc. Sounds like an excellent containment measure, rather than potentially wafting the spores up into the wind by tree removal.

Thats a very good idea tim. Taken a step further, spray the trees too, to catch any detritus, etc. Sounds like an excellent containment measure, rather than potentially wafting the spores up into the wind by tree removal.[/quote]

I'd like to stress that I first heard of this treatment from Dr Gerry Douglas Teagasc.
    Not my idea.

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Notice a fair few young Ash trees in my place that are looking very yellow with leaves at the tip going black.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    Notice a fair few young Ash trees in my place that are looking very yellow with leaves at the tip going black.

Are the branches turning brown or purple in color, this time of the year leaves will start to change color especially with ash

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaraK

Any idea if this is Ash borer beetle

CaraK wrote: »
    Any idea if this is Ash borer beetle

Hi Carak,
    I think not, see here for a good description and images https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_ash_borer

tim

ps your post put the heart crossways in me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blackcurrants

Pretty sure its a stink bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaraK

Apologies for making your heart race

I kind of had same sinking feeling when I seen it too

The underside is all green which leads me to thinks it's the Hawthorn Shield bug which would make sense as I have been trying unsuccessfully to cut mature Hawthorn trees the last few days, they are definitely the hardest wood I have encountered

http://staffweb.itsligo.ie/staff/dcotton/Hawthorn_shieldbug.html

• Advertisement

Have had a few of those shield bugs land on my arms and hands over the years, I never knew what they were but they are impressive looking, the effort cutting Hawthorn if it's for firewood is worth it as not many other types of timber can match it for heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Speaking of Hawthorne/whitethorn I just found out that you can graft pears onto them.

At last the Dept being honest about Ash Dieback.
    Article in the Irish Times last week, Department admit Dieback will not be eradicated, cannot post link

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

At last the Dept being honest about Ash Dieback.
    Article in the Irish Times last week, Department admit Dieback will not be eradicated, cannot post link

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/eradication-of-ash-dieback-not-feasible-in-ireland-minister-1.3468836

;)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 5 woollyman

Teagasc are holding an event tomorrow 23rd Oct in Ballyhaise college, Co. Cavan, on management of ash in the light of ash dieback. See Teagasc Forestry Events webpage for more info.

Anyone go to this today, I'd like to know what the latest plan is with infected ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Accidentally

Are we at the stage where fighting it is waste of time. If its going to happen anyway I'd prefer to start replacing sick trees with other species, or growing whips from local ash which shows signs of resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blackcurrants

We're actively managing our woods to favour all other species and to remove any Ash that is impeding the development of other trees. I'm going to try Birch as a possible replacement for the Ash where it is suited to the site. Cherry and Sycamore in other areas. Chalara is so effective at killing Ash regen and young plants that I can't see how we're going to have much Ash in the not so distant future. Hopefully some resistant stock is available soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Are we at the stage where fighting it is waste of time. If its going to happen anyway I'd prefer to start replacing sick trees with other species, or growing whips from local ash which shows signs of resistance.

Yes , unfortunately.

Sadly the ash will lose its niche even if resistant ones are found.

The gap on the ditch will be filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LogLady

Hello all, not sure if resurrecting this thread is the right way to go, but I'm primarily here to pick Old Tree's brains and some of the other old hands if ye don't mind. A loooong time ago, I had a different account that I closed, but had previously posted in this thread as the owner of a very small Ash plantation. I'm back up here now because it's difficult to know what to do and the Department isn't the place to have a chat about potentially not doing everything strictly by the book!

Ok, so having sold a number of acres to get a smaller headache than the massive migraine I had, I still own 2 acres next to the house. Not much and easier to handle. In Spring 2019 I went ahead and did the 2nd thinning without waiting for the grant (mostly because I was waiting on the forms so long that my felling guy was going to be gone somewhere else for the months I needed him) and it was then I discovered the extent of the dieback. Of course now, I see it everywhere - there is hardly a tree without it and it's obvious I am going to have to clear-fell. I took the decision to sell 2/3 to a neighbour (with full disclosure about the obligations, obviously) and I will replant the remaining 2 acres with mixed native Irish woodland, suitable to the different ground qualities and intend to leave 3 small clearings for the purposes of "glamping in the woods" (I asked the department forester and he said they wouldn't have a problem with this.....surprisingly!).

My issue is whether to go ahead and do this myself NOW this coming winter without all the rigmarole of departments, foresters, contractors, etc and just sell the standing trees to another neighbour who has already made me an offer for felling and clearing, and then go ahead and fund the replanting without a grant (which would be half nothing anyways). I still have a felling license in date until next year. I personally think the department won't come near me, and even if they did, I AM replanting and will maintain the integrity of a woodland (20m x 20m, with the potential for the canopy to close over is what the Dept forester told me). Is it strictly illegal not to inform the department I'm clear-felling and replanting myself?! At this stage, having managed the bigger plantation for 15 years over the 1st and 2nd thinning, I am very reluctant to throw money at every contractor I meet and end up paying for the timber twice over, when I could actually break even doing this my own way. Bearing in mind I am a woman of a certain age who does none of the work myself, until hauling the blocked logs up to the house ;-)

Any thoughts?! (sorry for the long post)

Re-edit: There is precisely NO access for logging trucks and it is entirely land-locked. Tractors and mini-forwarders only and extraction is a big issue. That's why this neighbour's offer is the least hassle and the fewest contractors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi,

I posted some grim photos of a number of Ash Trees in my garden earlier in the year, I actually had resigned myself to the fact they were dead, decided to save the trunks of two by pruning severely and retain them as features.

To my astonishment (and I really removed alot)

Both came back and better than ever. I can't explain it but this photos taken just now.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LogLady

"Both came back and better than ever. I can't explain it but this photos taken just now."

Hi Dempo, I've seen it in various articles that regrowth is very susceptible to the dieback, but actually the regrowth after the 2nd thinning of my plot looks healthy too. I can imagine that after I've clear-felled (see post above your's), I will have the same thing going on. Once I plant in between, I should end up with a nice canopy. Your trees are looking healthy alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

We have an ash growing out the front of the house, and I noticed that the tips are all black

is this ash dieback?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

No. If you have any trees 20 to 30 foot tall with dead branches at the top, that’s dieback, will get you a photo later.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ash has black buds and comes into leaf later than most trees. But you'll see ash die back quick enough, there'll be branches without leaves and the tree will look a bit thin in terms of foliage. Seems to be endemic now, we have about two dozen ash of various ages and I'd estimate that at least 2/3rds are visibly affected.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

This one is on the way out.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We're going to have loads of trees for firewood from now on, a lot of trees affected

When you come on a dead or dying Ash,

you are going to cut it up and burn its bits....

Save all the logs fit for making handles, Ash for handles will be in short supply in coming years.

Have you seen the price of a shovel handle recently?!!

imho the best approach to this is to split the handle stock into quarters and stack in a dry shed.

Lengths suitable for shovels, forks, spades or scythes will be at a premium id say, although these are much more difficult to split for storage.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I've noticed lots of ash dieback in public parks that are just left as they are, with healthy ask trees surrounding them. Why is there no control on the spread of this? I'm guessing it spreads from infected trees to healthy trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

At a guess it's impractical unless diseased Trees are in a dangerous state. There's no way to stop it's spread (open to correction).

I've had an interesting journey with Ash Die Back. I posted pics very early on this Thread of a number of Trees affected in my garden and surrounds , the disease is rampant in the Midlands.

A number of Trees died , young Trees mainly but Two strategically placed in my Garden , I decided to retain and just leave as features. I literally pruned them entirely, leaving Trunk and large branches. Left it and within a year it started to sprout new branches and growth. I can't explain it but in essence severe pruning seems to have rescued both Trees (about 20 years old) , they've now recovered fully .

On the other hand , I've another enormous Ash , must be over 100 feet tall , just to big to prune. It has pockets of Ash Die Back and areas of excellent foliage. I'm unsure but I believe older Trees fare better with Ash Die Back.

I've other Ash trees bordering an adjoining site , some have Died, some are blooming.

Very perplexing Disease but not always fatal in my experience.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement