Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washington Commanders thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Thats a fair bit of coin for a tackle.

Might be a moot point now but if he had been protecting a QB made of glass, he would be earning every cent of it.

Good that both Williams and Kerrigan are signed for the long term. Now let's just hope they can stay healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Reckon RG3 has played his last game for us tbh. Could be released before the season opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Morrison J wrote: »
    Reckon RG3 has played his last game for us tbh. Could be released before the season opener.

Where did it all go so wrong for him? Injuries?

Paully D wrote: »
    Where did it all go so wrong for him? Injuries?

Injuries and the fact that the read-option was never going to work in the long run. Like every new type of play (e.g. wildcat), it's only a matter of time before the defences catch up. Once that was neutralised, his lack of pocket passer skills became more evident and throw in the fact that he's not as mobile as he was in 2012, he was doomed.

s0y0ie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

looks like RG III is done .. stranger things have happened in football but not sure how he turns this career around. His struggles don't seem physical to me and in this league you just cant play scared. He looks like a guy who knows his O line is patchy(or doesn't like him) and he needs his speed and feet to give him the space to create things.

One thing for sure though is without him we're looking at another tough season. Cousins might be able to play but in an NFL East that looks bloody terrific this is going to be a very tough season. On a personal note I'll be in New York for the Thursday night Giants/Redskins game looking forward to taking it in.

• Advertisement

Cousins officially the week 1 starter now. Will he be there in week 2 though?

Cousins officially the week 1 starter now. Will he be there in week 2 though?

Depends on the O Line I think :)

Depends on the O Line I think :)

The funny thing is that Cousins wasn't sacked once on Saturday so either he reads defences better and releases the ball quicker or the OL protect him better.

The funny thing is that Cousins wasn't sacked once on Saturday so either he reads defences better and releases the ball quicker or the OL protect him better.

McCoy wasn't sacked either .. for me McCoy is a better QB than Cousins. Cousins turns the ball over , a lot. I think McCoy will end up with the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I guess we picked Interceptions over injuries and sacks. Seems like the right call, tbh, especially if the locker room rumours are true.

McCoy isn't the guy, imo. He's a perfectly competent back up, no more. Reckon we give Cousins a season to see if he can be, if not then we hire a new GM and draft a new QB

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote: »
    I guess we picked Interceptions over injuries and sacks. Seems like the right call, tbh, especially if the locker room rumours are true.

McCoy isn't the guy, imo. He's a perfectly competent back up, no more. Reckon we give Cousins a season to see if he can be, if not then we hire a new GM and draft a new QB

I don't see why people are so against McCoy. For me he performed very well last season and I think he should get a shot at the gig, I also think he will get a shot at it when Cousins invariably implodes.

I don't see why people are so against McCoy. For me he performed very well last season and I think he should get a shot at the gig, I also think he will get a shot at it when Cousins invariably implodes.

None of the QBs fill me with any confidence unfortunately. Let's just hope the run game is good enough so that all they need is 'game managers' (hate that term though) and hopefully the defence can keep them in games.

None of the QBs fill me with any confidence unfortunately. Let's just hope the run game is good enough so that all they need is 'game managers' (hate that term though) and hopefully the defence can keep them in games.

I would take a flyer on Fred Jackson to back up Morris. Could take a chance on someone like Trent Richardson but if he keeps getting cut there has to be something wrong .. probably the fact he had one of the best O Line's in history playing in front of him at Alabama made him look much better than he actually is.

Still I think there has to be something there you don't run for 1600 yards in a season without having some athletic talent.

McCoy is never impressive. Proper definition of a game manager. Not going to lose you a game but not going to win one either. No arm to make the big play to DJax either.

Cousins is at least aggressive and can get the offense moving at will. Got all the attributes just pushes the boundaries a bit with risky throws and proved very fragile mentally last year. I'm warming to him again though. He's without a doubt our best option right now imo.

RG3 will be released next week I expect. Would be shocked if a team traded for him given we took up the option on his contract.

McCoy is never impressive. Proper definition of a game manager. Not going to lose you a game but not going to win one either. No arm to make the big play to DJax either.

Cousins is at least aggressive and can get the offense moving at will. Got all the attributes just pushes the boundaries a bit with risky throws and proved very fragile mentally last year. I'm warming to him again though. He's without a doubt our best option right now imo.

RG3 will be released next week I expect. Would be shocked if a team traded for him given we took up the option on his contract.

I cant see them releasing RGIII doesn't actually make sense. None of the money is guaranteed unless he is injured. I think RGIII actually gives us the best chance to win. Cousins will be out of a job by week 3 in my opinion. You cant turn the ball over like he does in the NFL. I hope I am wrong though, I really like all three of our QB's and want to see them succeed!

I cant see them releasing RGIII doesn't actually make sense. None of the money is guaranteed unless he is injured. I think RGIII actually gives us the best chance to win. Cousins will be out of a job by week 3 in my opinion. You cant turn the ball over like he does in the NFL. I hope I am wrong though, I really like all three of our QB's and want to see them succeed!

I think Griffin has to go at this stage. He just seems clueless off the field and is too big a distraction. Imagine if he's on the sideline against Miami. Every time Kirk throws an incomplete pass or interception, the camera's going to pan to him and his expressions will be dissected endlessly.

Apparently no one in the locker room likes him either and this whole thing yesterday about the intern liking the Instagram post is a joke. He said it was one of his interns. Why does an NFL player need an intern at all, never mind more than one?

Take the hit on the $6-7m cap space this season and move on. They'll be in line for a top pick next season. Any good QBs in that draft?

I think Griffin has to go at this stage. He just seems clueless off the field and is too big a distraction. Imagine if he's on the sideline against Miami. Every time Kirk throws an incomplete pass or interception, the camera's going to pan to him and his expressions will be dissected endlessly.

Apparently no one in the locker room likes him either and this whole thing yesterday about the intern liking the Instagram post is a joke. He said it was one of his interns. Why does an NFL player need an intern at all, never mind more than one?

Take the hit on the $6-7m cap space this season and move on. They'll be in line for a top pick next season. Any good QBs in that draft?

Endless see of players coming out in support of Griffen after the decision to make Cousins the QB .. all saying he is still one of our QB's and we got his back. I heard some Oline men didn't like him because they got thrown in front of the bus when he got hurt .. but look that's all rumour.

Personally I still want him there. I think he has the talent you don't play like he did three years ago and then just be ****... he's a talented guy and I hope he makes it whether it be at the Skins or elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Is it because rg3 hasnt gotten over his injuries or is it more of a mental thing with him,because surley you dont just lose your talent, he was a guy with serious potential and his first season with us proved that

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Is it because rg3 hasnt gotten over his injuries or is it more of a mental thing with him,because surley you dont just lose your talent, he was a guy with serious potential and his first season with us proved that

That's the 64million$ question .. would love to know. He still looks athletically gifted to me but he definitely doesn't play like he did in that first season.

I still think he is there come the season opener and he gets a chance this season..

shamrock55 wrote: »

I don't know to be honest. Probably a bit of both. Although his speed has dropped considerably and that can't be mental.

You have to factor in that in year one it was a lot of zone read which was new to the NFL but by year 2 defences had adapted and were able to neutralise it to some degree so I wonder would he have continued to be effective, even if he hadn't been injured.

I'm not saying he wouldn't have (don't know enough to say either way) but the 'expert' view seems to be that he was never going to be a pocket passer.

• Advertisement

I don't know to be honest. Probably a bit of both. Although his speed has dropped considerably and that can't be mental.

You have to factor in that in year one it was a lot of zone read which was new to the NFL but by year 2 defences had adapted and were able to neutralise it to some degree so I wonder would he have continued to be effective, even if he hadn't been injured.

I'm not saying he wouldn't have (don't know enough to say either way) but the 'expert' view seems to be that he was never going to be a pocket passer.

Personally I think Russell Wilson has proven that you can be successful as a quarterback who relies just as much on his feet as his pocket passing and he is one of the few smart enough to do it successfully

If the O line doesn't block for him he'll never be able to fully develop into a pocket passer but Griffen looked plenty good enough leaving college to think he would become an elite quarterback by utilizing both his arm and leg work.

I guess we'll never really know whether it was physical or mental unless he plays his way back into a team somewhere.

After Griffin's injury Shanahan wanted to keep playing the zone read type offense and utilise Griffin's strengths. Griffin worried about the longevity of his career told and told Shanahan to make him into a pocket passer. Griffin does not have the skills or attributes to make it as a pocket passer and has proved time and time again to be the case.

Gruden is the man who took Andy Dalton ahead of Kaepernick in the draft. He wants nothing to do with the zone read QB so Griffin can either learn to play from the pocket or lose his job. He didn't learn quick enough this off season, Cousins did, so Kirk takes the job.

Griffin could do ok in an Eagles style offense I reckon but he'll never be good enough to run a pro style offense. He's also not what you want in a leader. It's always about him. If the team plays well he takes the credit if they struggle he throws his teammates under the bus.

We'd no choice but to move on from him really imo. The QB class in the draft is very deep too so if it doesn't work out with Cousins I've faith in McCloughan to find us our franchise QB. I think Cousins could prove a decent QB though. Has all the attributes.

After Griffin's injury Shanahan wanted to keep playing the zone read type offense and utilise Griffin's strengths. Griffin worried about the longevity of his career told and told Shanahan to make him into a pocket passer. Griffin does not have the skills or attributes to make it as a pocket passer and has proved time and time again to be the case.

Gruden is the man who took Andy Dalton ahead of Kaepernick in the draft. He wants nothing to do with the zone read QB so Griffin can either learn to play from the pocket or lose his job. He didn't learn quick enough this off season, Cousins did, so Kirk takes the job.

Griffin could do ok in an Eagles style offense I reckon but he'll never be good enough to run a pro style offense. He's also not what you want in a leader. It's always about him. If the team plays well he takes the credit if they struggle he throws his teammates under the bus.

We'd no choice but to move on from him really imo. The QB class in the draft is very deep too so if it doesn't work out with Cousins I've faith in McCloughan to find us our franchise QB. I think Cousins could prove a decent QB though. Has all the attributes.

Interesting synopsis of the situation. I agree Gruden did not want a Griffen style QB, I think it's a mistake to say Griffen cant develop into a pocket passer , he has both the arm and the finesse to develop into a fine pocket passer but the question is does he have the drive and is he afraid of getting hurt again?

Interesting synopsis of the situation. I agree Gruden did not want a Griffen style QB

That's the thing that baffles me the most. I remember after the Shannys packed their bags, all the talk was of getting a coach that would make Griffin a better QB and I thought that was what Gruden's was hired for. Yet from day one they haven't been on the same page.

That's the thing that baffles me the most. I remember after the Shannys packed their bags, all the talk was of getting a coach that would make Griffin a better QB and I thought that was what Gruden's was hired for. Yet from day one they haven't been on the same page.

That's what I thought as well and that is definitely how it was sold to the public as RGIII was seen as the franchise QB. Funny when we were drafting that year I was hoping for RGIII ahead of Luck, seems retarded now but I enjoyed watching RGIII far more in College.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/09/11/why-some-redskins-fans-are-rooting-against-their-team/

Did you ever see such stupidity from fans before? I hate that kind of attitude. Give out, moan etc. All well and good but don't actively root for your team to lose.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/09/11/why-some-redskins-fans-are-rooting-against-their-team/

Did you ever see such stupidity from fans before? I hate that kind of attitude. Give out, moan etc. All well and good but don't actively root for your team to lose.

I can understand it though, we will do well to get 5 or 6 wins this year, we need a top class qb and a top pick in the draft nxt year m7ght get 5hat for us, cousins isnt the answer and i dont know what the story is with rg3, i myself will always go for the win though but with our current set up its like being caught between a rock and a hard place

If we didn't have such a tough Division I would say we could compete this season, I think our defence got slightly better and I like some of the players we drafted but obviously we need a QB that we can rely on.

As much as the Redskins and the organisation and owners P*** me off I wouldn't and couldn't hope we lose

Can not askfor anymore than whatthey are doing here in this first half

• Advertisement

Same **** diff year, cousins 2 int and zero points in 2n half ffs:mad:

Advertisement