Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washington Commanders thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Thanks for that Jack, I'll probably get in touch with you again nearer the time if and when my better half makes up her mind as top where we're going in October. She was all set for Washington at the weekend, of course that can change by the day. Anyway thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DecStone

Maybe they will return to RFK in DC.
    D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser reopened the debate about bringing the Washington Redskins back to the city.
    The mayor asked her followers on Twitter to weigh in Tuesday about the potential for the Washington football team to return to the site of RFK Stadium or another location in D.C.

"We know that the perfect location for the Redskins is where they played for decades very successfully. We have the infrastructure sitting on top of a Metro station," Bowser told News4.
    "We have the ability to make [RFK] more than just a sports stadium. The surrounding neighborhoods want more play spaces, want more active areas for children and families," the mayor said.

Team owner Dan Snyder said last year that the football team was designing a new stadium. Snyder said the team was considering locations in D.C., Maryland and Virginia.
    Plans for D.C. could include a new stadium to be built at the site of RFK. The Redskins played there between 1961 and 1996 but moved to FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland, in 1997. The team's lease at FedEx Field runs for another 12 years.

"There's no better site than the RFK site in the metropolitan region," said Council member Jack Evans of Ward 2. "Our hockey team, basketball team, soccer team, baseball team, all located in the city, are all doing great."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

How much will it cost to break the lease at FedEx? I suppose planning and construction would take a few years but not 12 so they'll either have to wait or pay up.

I remember reading a few years back that even though FedEX is awful with no atmosphere and most fans would love a stadium in DC again, if they did get a new stadium, ticket prices would rise and PSLs would be introduced so some fans are prepared to put up with the bad stadium and associated traffic problems.

The name issue will probably come up again if any move to DC does come about.

No one actually knows how much it would cost to break the lease - even the Washington Post says that the lease issue is a mystery - but word around is that would not be an issue for Snyder. Or at least Snyder does not seem to say that it would.

But Fed Ex is a bloody awful place. Parking is impossible and it's a few blocks from Metro so not convenient to get to for fans. Years go I was at RFK a few times and it was an amazing place to be. The atmosphere was not to be beaten. Of course this was in the days before the idea of security was an issue and it was common to see Theismann or Riggins just park their cars and walk in - they would chat with fans on the way in. Different world.

RFK is still there but crumbling and the site is available for re-construction.

Is playing for the Redskins really that bad? Conor Halliday signed as an underrated QB on 2 May and then decides to retire on the 15th.

• Advertisement

Strange story all right. He left a voice mail for Gruden and then left town. Gruden suggested that there might be personal reasons behind it. But he did have that leg injury and after what happened to RGIII then who knows what went through his mind.

First day of OTAs and Jordan Reed already injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

First day of OTAs and Jordan Reed already injured.

Talented as he is, he seems plagued with injury problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

So frustrating with Reed. So much talent but no ability to get on the field. Niles Paul showed a lot last year though which is a huge plus, he just can't block. Was surprised we didn't draft a TE.

Ihenacho getting 1st team snaps ahead of Jeron Johnson is the main surprise so far. Nice to see we finally have a bit of depth in the position though.

Talk about injury prone is right. He didn't even make it onto the field this time so he got injured on his own time. I heard as well that he's a bit out of shape too and carrying a few extra pounds.

• Advertisement

Talk about injury prone is right. He didn't even make it onto the field this time so he got injured on his own time. I heard as well that he's a bit out of shape too and carrying a few extra pounds.

He's our most talented TE it's a shame he cant get himself 100%. On a side note I am hearing really good things about RGIII with regard to his own offseason workouts.

john_keim
    Per @caplannfl the Redskins are releasing OG Chris Chester.

McCloughan making all the right moves.

Morrison J wrote: »
    john_keim
    Per @caplannfl the Redskins are releasing OG Chris Chester.

McCloughan making all the right moves.

Tracey Porter gone too.

Freeing up some cap to help with the Kerrigan and Trent contract extensions I would think. Hopefully Spencer Long can step up to play RG. Can't be much worse than Chester anyway.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/17727/redskins-te-jordan-reed-undergoes-procedure-sidelined-until-training-camp

Hate hearing its anything to do with a knee but everyone seems to think its not a big deal which is good also a couple of good articles there for Redskins fans, everyone excited about Crowder he looks to be special but time will tell.

Well it took until day 2 of trading camp, but the first suspension for stupidity is here. Breeland 1 game for weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Well it took until day 2 of trading camp, but the first suspension for stupidity is here. Breeland 1 game for weed.

Christ how dumb can you be:rolleyes:

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Christ how dumb can you be:rolleyes:

Just read that the offence was last August. Don't know the rules etc. or why he's only getting suspended now so there's some comfort at least that he wasn't done that recently.

On other matters, we can't take the high ground over the Cowboys for them signing Greg Hardy as it looks like Junior Galette is signing with the Redskins.

Just read that the offence was last August. Don't know the rules etc. or why he's only getting suspended now so there's some comfort at least that he wasn't done that recently.

On other matters, we can't take the high ground over the Cowboys for them signing Greg Hardy as it looks like Junior Galette is signing with the Redskins.

With galette and kerrigan there will be sacks aplenty this season hopefully

Breeland stretchered off on Day 2 of camp. Video of it online doesn't look good. Might be an ACL.

Lets hope not. Probably the player I'm most excited about on this team.

Edit: Cooley now saying it's an ankle injury. Let's hope so.

• Advertisement

Lets hope he will be ok, he is a really good prospect in fairness, i just noticed we are 12/1 to win the east,christ we are not that bad are we:rolleyes:

A lot better than first anticipated thankfully!

John Keim ‏@john_keim 36s36 seconds ago Richmond, VA
    Team source says bashaud breeland will miss 4-6 weeks with an mcl injury. #redskins

As for our chances 12/1 is a pretty good price actually. I still wouldn't be putting money on us in a million years though. It's all down to Griffin really isn't it? If his numbers are even average in relation to the league I think we compete in our division, He's a total wildcard at this stage though.

Think we've had a brilliant off-season and addressed pretty much everything needed. You need good QB play in this league though so lets hope RG3 delivers. Reports have been pretty positive so far in camp.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Breeland stretchered off on Day 2 of camp. Video of it online doesn't look good. Might be an ACL.

Lets hope not. Probably the player I'm most excited about on this team.

Edit: Cooley now saying it's an ankle injury. Let's hope so.

More injuries today with the Texans in town. Both D-Hall and DeSean Jackson getting hurt. Jackson collided with one of those sleds that the lines use and separated his shoulder. Out for 'a few weeks' apparently. Hall's tweaked his groin and will miss about a week. Not a good start for CBs in camp with Breeland already injured.

Strange, everywhere else I've read has said we've had the better of it overall. Griffin is looking improved too.

Secondary is down to its bare bones. Amerson, Culliver, Hall, Breeland, Johnson all out with knocks the past few days and the back ups have done well considering.

Looking like Moses might be winning the RT job with Scherff at RG. Coped well with JJ Watt from what I've read.

McCloughan obviously ain't messing when talking about how you'd feel it physically playing the Skins either. About four massive brawls today.

Not good news last night as Niles Paul done for the year and Silas Redd could be too. But Paul is the bigger loss, huge in fact, especially since Jordan 'hamstring' Reed is out again and Paul was a better blocker anyway. Add TE to the secondary as positions that have no depth and look in trouble. Chris Cooley should start dusting off his helmet!

At least RGIII didn't look awful.

Yep massive loss. Logan Paulsen possibly out for the year too. A big Jordan Reed injury is always inevitable. Cooley wants to come back but not sure its a move McCloughan would make. Don't see the harm in giving him a shot though.

Decent game for us last night I thought though.

Was impressed by Arie Kouandjio for the most part. Showing a lot of good signs for his first year. Willie Smith was excellent.

RG3 was very good. Still worries me with the amount of hits he takes though. Cousins was great.

Andre Roberts and Rashad Ross the two most impressive receivers.

Run game was excellent. Morris and Jones can be a great tandem this year. Thompson also flashed some nice plays.

Overall, the Niles Paul injury aside (could be a massive blow) a pretty positive game for us.

Season ending casualties so far:

Paul
    Paulsen
    Hayward
    Redd
    Galette

Am I missing anyone?

Griffin not playing tonight either so it looks like he'll be starting against the Dolphins having gone 6-13 for 44 yards in the pre-season if they stick with the plan to start him. And throw in a couple of fumbles and a few sacks and that's his in-game preparation for facing Suh and co. They'd hardly give him a series or two next week would they if he's cleared to play?

Hopefully Cousins plays well tonight as he could be playing week 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/637714119030894592

Thats a fair bit of coin for a tackle.

Advertisement