Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Radio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnplayer

Agreed re Presenters . Simply not strong enough . Some are ok but not all .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

johnplayer wrote: »
    The press release is all true but there's a huge huge fall in share which is the most worrying . There has been a massive fall out year on year . The changes made by ClareFM are starting to be felt . Unless they address the haemorrhage they could see another 6.9 share drop this time next year and then the **** will really hit the fan .

To a certain extent I agree. Tbh, I don't think it's Clare FM. The JNLR figures show they only went down 1% probably to Today FM or 4FM, Tipp FM dropped sharply from 41% to 34%. Tipp's imaging is too heavy for anyone's liking and the quality of general conversation is shocking. Presenters are a problem. Tony Brooks is on for hours and the quality is diabolical. People just switch to another station because they are sick of the poor quality out by Tipp. I'm in the midwest quite a lot (Limerick and Tipp), and find that whenever I listen into Tipp FM there are too many ads, bad music. Live 95 is far superior yet meets their "target" market, if you want to call it that. I don't think it's nothing that can't be fixed and the JNLR figures next quarter may be more of an indication as to how well they are doing.

Here are the JNLR figures for local radio this quarter:
    http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/jnlr-2014-q2-regional-local-stations

* I don't work in radio, just my opinion on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

I have heard it said that the new owner is trying to clean Tipp FM up for a sale in the medium to long term. The ranks have been thinned out a bit, costs are being controlled like never before and small legacy shareholding issues concerning shareholders of Suirland Radio and Active Link (North Tipp) are being sorted out.

I'm sure the new owner is most concerned with increasing income, so the books will look as good as possible come the day a value is put on the business.

It has a shiney, new 10 year licence from the BAI, so it's got value whatever the JNLRs say.

Anyone care to put a price on Tipp FM today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

.anyone acess to figures for its country cousin tipp mid west radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

Expunge wrote: »
    I have heard it said that the new owner is trying to clean Tipp FM up for a sale in the medium to long term. The ranks have been thinned out a bit, costs are being controlled like never before and small legacy shareholding issues concerning shareholders of Suirland Radio and Active Link (North Tipp) are being sorted out.

I'm sure the new owner is most concerned with increasing income, so the books will look as good as possible come the day a value is put on the business.

It has a shiney, new 10 year licence from the BAI, so it's got value whatever the JNLRs say.

who said it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I presume when you say owner,you mean the CEO OF ClareFM/TippFM ?You seem to be in the know? They should thin out the weak presenters.They need someone younger on the talk show in the morning.If its old it will be even worse,as it will sound like all the others,Aldi radio stations,You go into one Aldi,you have seen them all.It wont be worth much if it has little listeners..who will advertise on a losing radio station?It seems all the good radio people are gone out of Tipperary...so much for local radio.

DT100 wrote: »
    I presume when you say owner,you mean the CEO OF ClareFM/TippFM ?You seem to be in the know? They should thin out the weak presenters.They need someone younger on the talk show in the morning.If its old it will be even worse,as it will sound like all the others,Aldi radio stations,You go into one Aldi,you have seen them all.It wont be worth much if it has little listeners..who will advertise on a losing radio station?It seems all the good radio people are gone out of Tipperary...so much for local radio.
    but they are number one in tipperary as they say. easy when there is no one else. as well someone younger some one who every interview does not turn to GAA would be good. GAA is theonly metaphor he knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

If your talking about Seamus Martin in the morning and GAA you couldn't be more wrong. The guy is clueless when it comes to GAA and relies on Tom McGrath or Ronan Quirke to bail him out after big Tipp games.

DT100 wrote: »

So who are these weak presenters that need thinning ?

So who are these weak presenters that need thinning ?

Well I mentioned the talk show guy in the morning,,but I think its clear who you think is weak,from your #184 post on this thread

**I'm thinking the new chap on afternoons will be getting his knuckles slapped by the PD after telling people on air today that he visited the Rock Of Cashel for the first time this week and how he didn't know what to expect ? And how he thinks its a great resource for the area . Lol ! Bizarre . Is there No Radio people in Co Tipperary that could of been hired that are part of the fabric of the county that could connect with Tipp people ?
    I hope someone will buy it,They might make it sound professional.

• Advertisement

Yes I'd forgotten that but truthfully I can't remember his name ( although easy check the website ) I remember thinking how poor it sounded at the time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭aisr1ofk43dpy5

I think Seamus Martin does a good job on the morning talk show. As for how much he knows about gaa that's irrelevant how much does Bill O Herlihy know about football.
    Its very easy to come on here and say who should go but does anyone have any idea who might replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

GoodLord wrote: »
    who said it?

I'd rather not say, but it was said by someone with a concrete interest in any potential sale of Tipp FM.

I'd rather not say, but it was said by someone with a concrete interest in any potential sale of Tipp FM.

Its a Tipp man..............

Chap on breakfast sounding good . Heard it today and last Thursday . Thought for a while I was listening to TodayFM until I heard the jingle . I know I know him just trying to remember the station . Anyway good stuff !

Chap on breakfast sounding good . Heard it today and last Thursday . Thought for a while I was listening to TodayFM until I heard the jingle . I know I know him just trying to remember the station . Anyway good stuff !

Has Antoinette Gleeson left?

Mr. G wrote: »
    Has Antoinette Gleeson left?

Andrew Looby doing breakfast..Its probably holiday cover...but Andrew did work for Clare FM some time ago...

A shiney new 10 year licence and value whatever the JNLRs say? A radio station without good listenership,is like a pub with no beer..would you buy that pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Radioshed

The news service has improved since Clare FM took over though and they have a news head of news. Much more content, and better follow up on stories. I only get to hear the lunch time news the odd day, but its far better than a the few headlines they used to have.

Having said that, i was disappointed when we went down to Clonmel for the recent festival, hardly any station presence there at all , just a van parked up a side street, with i think Aidan and Ian (not sure), nothing for the kids except a car sticker !. We were there last year and Beat put on a great show, entertaining the crowds with music, playing games, had tee-shirts, pens, key rings and even free food for us all in the evening.

I suppose the money for that kind of expense just isnt there, which is a pity. Still when the kids are old enough to get their own cars they`l have a sticker .

Radioshed wrote: »
    The news service has improved since Clare FM took over though and they have a news head of news. Much more content, and better follow up on stories. I only get to hear the lunch time news the odd day, but its far better than a the few headlines they used to have.
    The news is often reported as a local story when it is is national."Tipperary drivers will be subject to a large garda presence this holiday weekend"when so will ebvery other county
    The news state x reports for Tipp FM when it is not someone specifically reporting for tipp fm. it is to give the impression they have more repoters than they have
    Weekend news does not come form clonmel each hour, it should and should have local content. i think this is reffered to above somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

I cannot understand why anyone could say the news output has improved when its has become a Monday to Friday 9-5 service. A bit like the HSE...just don't come looking for us at weekends.

Environment Minister to formally announce jobs in Tipperary Town.
    PinergyLogoStock_250_250_s_c1.jpg
    The new positions are set to be created by energy company Pinergy in association with locally based call centre firm DSM

The above from yesterdays news....I am sure I read that on Wednesday in the Nationalist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Seems like Antionette Gleeson is back on the breakfast bowl, I thought Andrew Looby was doing a far better job at presenting the breakfast bowl in her absence imo, has the ability to make a hectic morning seem more relaxed and the choice of music he puts on is far more suited to that time of day.

uggybear wrote: »
    Seems like Antionette Gleeson is back on the breakfast bowl, I thought Andrew Looby was doing a far better job at presenting the breakfast bowl in her absence imo, has the ability to make a hectic morning seem more relaxed and the choice of music he puts on is far more suited to that time of day.

Holiday cover I would say...I would imagine the show has a playlist,and he wouldn't have much say in the music...Maybe you just got lucky with the tunes:D

Yes the DJ would have to work off music that's all ready picked by somebody else at the station . But sometimes you can give the same list of music to two people and one will make it sound completely different .

Yes the DJ would have to work off music that's all ready picked by somebody else at the station . But sometimes you can give the same list of music to two people and one will make it sound completely different .

You have it spot on there..Thats where personality comes into it.I would be of the opinion that people that can communicate don't come from a media course,which is the reason that some of the best radio people came from the pirates.In the pirate days,the people involved had the passion and the desire to want to be on the radio...I don't think you can teach that.....But I suppose all that the people who had that talent in Tipp,are employed in other stations,and theres none left..so we have what we have now....My opinion:)

GoodLord wrote: »
    Weekend news does not come form clonmel each hour, it should and should have local content. i think this is reffered to above somewhere

Are you sure?

I'm surprised to hear that there's no local news service on weekends. Clare FM even broadcast local bulletins during the weekend. I know it's the case after 5 or 6pm and in the early mornings that news comes from Newstalk on a lot of stations. Very poor if they don't have news from Clonmel during the weekend.

Mr. G wrote: »
    Are you sure?

I'm surprised to hear that there's no local news service on weekends. Clare FM even broadcast local bulletins during the weekend. I know it's the case after 5 or 6pm and in the early mornings that news comes from Newstalk on a lot of stations. Very poor if they don't have news from Clonmel during the weekend.
    yes, including 7am, news mostly comes from an external feed, is it INN? Theres a locally broadcast one at 10 am and at 1 pm. As far as I know 9 am/11am/noon are feeds. All should be form Clonmel all should have local content.

Don't know what after noon is like most feeds I would say

INN ? I'd say Newstalk

• Advertisement

INN ? I'd say Newstalk
    wherever the extenal feed comes from i don't know .

Advertisement