Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula E

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well JEV drove a great race for his first time driving in Formula E was a pity that his suspension broke so close to the end. Hopefully he will have better luck next time.
    As for Heidfield maybe next time he will have better luck. Overall it was a good race but not as exciting as the first two races. I look forward to the next one in Brazil on January 10th.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Back on today @ 6PM on ITV4.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,031 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Cars look very slidey

Ms

This race is round 4 of the Formula E championship. It is in Buenos Aires in Argentina. It is like a home race for the current Formula E points leader Lucas di Grassi.
    Sebastaun Buami is in pole for the race.The race starts in 40 mins but the preview is on now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am a fan of Trulli since his F1 days so will continue the support in this championship.
    Pity he crashed in qualifying...

• Advertisement

7pm yes, 1hr build up (pre show) does feel a bit too long :pac:

would prefer if they showed replay of full qualifying or more quilifying highlights for most of this hour

7pm yes, 1hr build up (pre show) does feel a bit too long :pac:

would prefer if they showed replay of full qualifying or more quilifying highlights for most of this hour

Thanks, sorry I edited my post after I found out on the ITV4 coverage.

I agree, they want to treat it like F1 it seems and I don't watch much of the F1 coverage before a race starts when it is on.

This safety car looks like it might mess up a few peoples races

Did look like Heidfield might have overtaken under the yellows?

What a mistake by Buemi. He really showed his disappointment.

They took long enough to give Sam Bird his deserved penalty.

• Advertisement

Leading this race is a curse lol.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Leading this race is a curse lol.

As I was saying, Heidfeld penalty out of the blue for pitlane speeding.

My first Formula E race to watch, I like this.

All got a bit messy near the end

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

That was exciting. The safety car confused the drivers positions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

the short nature of the track really didn't help the safety car scenario. might have to watch it again to figure out what happened when!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Ms

I enjoyed the race. It did get of to a slow start do but after the safety car it was certainly a very different race a lot more exciting. There was some good overtaking in it and fair racing too. A pity that Heidfield broke the pit lane speed as he could have got some really good points here. Maybe it was not his fault will have to wait till we here more to know for sure. Maybe he will do better at the next race in 2 months time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Im heading to an event in a couple of weeks that will have karun Chandhok at it and I can ask questions if anyone has any for him.

If anyone would lives in London its on the 7th of Feb near Gatwick if you would like to go to a Q&A with him and Duncan Tappy (Bentley driver in GT series) PM me for details.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

afatbollix wrote: »
    Im heading to an event in a couple of weeks that will have karun Chandhok at it and I can ask questions if anyone has any for him.

If anyone would lives in London its on the 7th of Feb near Gatwick if you would like to go to a Q&A with him and Duncan Tappy (Bentley driver in GT series) PM me for details.

How does it feel to drive a car faster than Hispania?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Dario Franchitti (Formula E Commentator) was on the Motorsport magazine Podcast this moth and gave his opinions on Formula E.

Essentially he said that;
    • Its off to a good start
    • the low downforce and slidey cars have led to exciting racing
    • the city centre circuits have been good for the crowds
    • the cars have got to be faster

I agree with him on pretty much all of that, especially the speed of the cars. the racing is close but it looks slow. I'm looking forward to it getting to the US next month and the races in Europe should be really interesting!

Ms

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117790

FE picks new manufacturers

Some news on the 8 manufacturers that are going to be in Formula E next season.There could potentially be 8 different powertrains from 8 different manufacturers racing against each other.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I agree with him on pretty much all of that, especially the speed of the cars. the racing is close but it looks slow. I
    I don't see how they can do much about that with the city courses though. They're narrow with no run offs.
    AMKC wrote: »
    Some news on the 8 manufacturers that are going to be in Formula E next season.There could potentially be 8 different powertrains from 8 different manufacturers racing against each other.
    Now things get interesting. Are they just making their own engines for the current chassis or are they actually building their own cars from scratch?

I'd love it if they let them come up with their own concepts and don't restrict them to be another formula car.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Eight manufacturers in Formula E vs four manufacturers in Formula One. Interesting times ahead.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see how they can do much about that with the city courses though. They're narrow with no run offs.

Now things get interesting. Are they just making their own engines for the current chassis or are they actually building their own cars from scratch?

I'd love it if they let them come up with their own concepts and don't restrict them to be another formula car.

They are only allowed to develop their own power train. Chassis and aero are same on all cars to avoid any costly development work in that area. They want teams to create better electric power trains, thus resulting in tech that can be transferred to road cars. In the next few years, and this is where it should be more interesting, is that battery innovation will be developed to the extent that there will be no need to use two cars during a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

astrofluff wrote: »
    They are only allowed to develop their own power train. Chassis and aero are same on all cars to avoid any costly development work in that area. They want teams to create better electric power trains, thus resulting in tech that can be transferred to road cars. In the next few years, and this is where it should be more interesting, is that battery innovation will be developed to the extent that there will be no need to use two cars during a race.
    Chris Harris has a video on the electric Mercedes SLS on youtube where he shows Mercedes next generation batteries, their something like a fifth of the weight of normal batteries.

I don't know how far they will be able to go with motors, I suppose there's a lot of weight saving to be done but at the end of the day they're so basic it's hard to see where they can eek an advantage. The fact it's probably going to have to be pretty similar to the motor it's replacing, because it has to fit into the same space would also lead me to believe there won't be too much room for improvement.

I hope the boffins will prove me wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Would not be surprising at all to see Formula E over take f1 in the next 10 to 15 years. Especially if F1 can't get costs down and attract new teams/fans/sponsors.

All these manufactures are shambling to produce the best batteries and prove that there EV get the best range. Formula E would be an excellent proving ground for them.

Having all street races in cities with big populations ensures big crowds and local interest. Much better than having a race in the desert in front of about the same number of people as the average league of Ireland soccer match.

Make the tech relevant, the racing close and bring the action to the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Would not be surprising at all to see Formula E over take f1 in the next 10 to 15 years. Especially if F1 can't get costs down and attract new teams/fans/sponsors.

I think they said the same about A1GP, and also that football F1 league that never took off. Won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Zcott wrote: »
    I think they said the same about A1GP, and also that football F1 league that never took off. Won't happen.

I think it has a much better chance than A1GP, its under the auspices of the FIA, it has major manufacturers involved, runs in the off season and crucially has High Class drivers like Jean Eric Vergne and Marco Andretti as well as 10 or 12 other former Formula 1 drivers.

If the cars and the series evolves as they hope it will it could become very popular. I think its unlikely to ever be as big as F1 but it certainly has the potential to go from oddity to well supported mainstream series.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I think it has a much better chance than A1GP, its under the auspices of the FIA, it has major manufacturers involved, runs in the off season and crucially has High Class drivers like Jean Eric Vergne and Marco Andretti as well as 10 or 12 other former Formula 1 drivers.

If the cars and the series evolves as they hope it will it could become very popular. I think its unlikely to ever be as big as F1 but it certainly has the potential to go from oddity to well supported mainstream series.

The series founder seems to have taken lessons on how to run the show from doing the exact opposite of what F1 gets up to. Mostly by having a more welcoming atmosphere and a less uptight "Show me the money" manner. You can see why the manufacturers would be interested as it's pitched more like a "Bring what you have and have semi-serious fun competing with each other" event rather than F1's "Spend billions for no great purpose" approach.

Ms

Next race is this weekend and it is in Miami. Miami has also said it wants to hold a Formula E race until at least 2019. It will be the first time that both Formula E and Formula 1 have races on the same weekend.
    Scott Speed is going to race for the Andretti Autosport team. He will be the only American driver on the grid. He raced for Torra Rossa in 2006 to 2007 but got replaced midway through the 2007 season by Sebastian Vettel.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

timetable for the weekend:

EDT Times GMT Times that matter
    7:00 18:00 Gates open/close
    8:15 9:00 NON-QUALIFYING PRACTICE 1
    9:30 9:50 FE School Series - Practice/Qualifying
    10:30 11:00 NON-QUALIFYING PRACTICE 2
    12:00 12:10 QUALIFYING SESSION GROUP 1
    12:15 12:25 QUALIFYING SESSION GROUP 2
    12:30 12:40 QUALIFYING SESSION GROUP 3
    12:45 12:55 QUALIFYING SESSION GROUP 4
    14:15 14:35 FE School Series - Race
    15:23 15:33 Pitlane open/close ITV 4 Coverage:
    15:50 FanBoost implementation 19.00-21.30hrs
    16:00 17:00 RACE (39 laps) Race at 20.00hrs (8pm)

Advertisement