Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula E

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Will it be available in Ireland though? Some of their sport coverage gets a "Not available in The Republic of Ireland" - I've seen it for soccer and cycling on that channel in the past.

Whoever runs FE has said it will be available for free online but hasn't yet said where/how.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I think there'll be geographic limits on streaming for countries with no access to TV rights.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Great way to promote your sport by sticking two fingers up at the people who actually want to watch it.

Exactly. It doesn't make sense at all. A new sport, so surely get everyone watching it as early as possible to get them bought into it. Or are they trying to use it as an exclusivity thing so people "desire" it more?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

O well, the pirates should look after me though, they know how to treat their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

astrofluff wrote: »
    But yes, equal cars this year meaning some brilliant racing until the energiser bunny fades.
    Jordan 191 wrote: »
    It's the Duracell Bunny!

Energizer_Bunny.png

Energiser have one for North America.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Great way to promote your sport by sticking two fingers up at the people who actually want to watch it.

I think the idea is that if its not on a TV near you you can watch it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

antodeco wrote: »
    Is it stream only, or will itv3 open it up to ROI?

FTA on ITV4 (satellite only I guess), live & highlights

TV Schedule
    FIA Formula E Championship Live - ITV4 08:00-10:30, ITV4+1 09:00-10:30
    Highlights - ITV4 18:00-19:00, ITV4+1 19:00-20:00, BT Sport2 21:00-22:00, BT Sport2 (Sun) 05:00-06:00

There was a championship preview programme on ITV4 early this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Formula E website is down. Not good that seeing as events begin in a few hours!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

OK, I registered to try this fan boost thing. Page crashes out and won't record my vote for Taku. Anyone else try it?

That fan boost was wasted on Bruno. These things look so slow - I mean slower than formula vee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

These things look so slow - I mean slower than formula vee.

Theyre behind a safety car :pac:

That whole car swap thing looks ridiculous. Do they have a minimum time they have to spend there?

And when I was watching it said yellow flag so I thought they were under safety car, but didn't see a safety car. Nope, they're just that slow...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,031 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Wow, bit of a block
    Hope Heidfeld ok
    Very poor from Prost, Heidfeld should have won

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

prost should be banned for that. disgraceful driving, looked like heidfeld had him

at least heidfelds ok, not going that slow to get flipped up like that

Dirty driving by Prost. Very dangerous going crown-first into the catch fence.

Dirty driving by Prost. Very dangerous going crown-first into the catch fence.

There was a layer or two of modern safety barrier there which seemed to help but did look dangerous

Heidfeld is very lucky; the way he went into that fence head first...

Extremely dangerous from Prost. FIA need to make a strong statement about that sort of block (a race ban would not be out of order).

Not sure really what to make of that race. The racing is decent enough; the cars can run close together which is good. The overall spectacle is a bit nonsense; stupid music makes it feel like a bad video game and the pit stops need to be seriously revised (no need for manditory stop time). They need to lose the gimmicks, stop trying so hard and let the racing speak for itself.

Could do with visiting some proper circuits also; a season of street racing is not going to be terribly exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

djimi wrote: »
    Heidfeld is very lucky; the way he went into that fence head first...

Extremely dangerous from Prost. FIA need to make a strong statement about that sort of block (a race ban would not be out of order).

Not sure really what to make of that race. The racing is decent enough; the cars can run close together which is good. The overall spectacle is a bit nonsense; stupid music makes it feel like a bad video game and the pit stops need to be seriously revised (no need for manditory stop time). They need to lose the gimmicks, stop trying so hard and let the racing speak for itself.

Could do with visiting some proper circuits also; a season of street racing is not going to be terribly exciting.

Agreed about Prost that dangerous and stupid what he done. He had done a great race up till then leading it. I think he realised Heidfied had him and moved over maybe to try and stop him but was too late. Instead of letting Heidfield win and him geting 2nd place they both now end up getting no points.
    Glad to see Heidfield was ok do after that crash which was quit a big crash.

I enjoyed the race with the cars running close together and some passing too. I never noticed the music. Agreed that the pit stops are silly. Why can,t they just have one car and have a pitt top to change the batterys when they go low it would make a lot more sense. I was thinking that too unlike Formula 1 where it is a different set up for the cars for each track like the downforce on the cars and where some cars are better in the straights and others in the fast or slow corners or a bit of both these are just at street circuits all the time with very little to change in the cars it could get boring.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

So clearly Prost was involved in a completely different final turn incident from the one we all watched.. stupid comments in his interview

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Shane_ef wrote: »
    So clearly Prost was involved in a completely different final turn incident from the one we all watched.. stupid comments in his interview

His father thought him well...

• Advertisement

Thought the racing was good, didn't notice the music too much was pretty low in the background. Pit stops were a bit weird, would be better if they were more competitive but maybe it's a safety thing, not wanting to rush driver getting strapped in properly. Formation lap did seem especially slow.

To be honest, until they can come up with a way to run the car for 40+ laps on a single battery its probably not going to be anything more than an interesting concept. Id prefer to see a two race format with each race being in the region of 30 laps; this at least would be preferable to seeing drivers changing car mid race. A single 25 lap 45 minute race left me feeling a bit short changed this morning; the race barely got going before it was over.

Pit stops were a bit weird, would be better if they were more competitive but maybe it's a safety thing, not wanting to rush driver getting strapped in properly.

Its never been an issue for sportscar racing...!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Seemed interesting enough. A few tweaks will see this doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pretty interesting race, way too short, if they could stretch it to 30 laps it might be a bit better.

There was some nice overtaking but the track isn't all that interesting, very narrow at point all straights, chicanes and right angles. A stupid move from Prost, he probably still would have been in front on the other side of the corner there was no need at all to squeeze Heidfeld like that. It's amazing he wasn't hurt, I thought for sure he would have had a serious injury it looked like he could have hit his head. Really shows how good the safety of modern race cars are.

That crash will get F-E into the papers tomorrow though which is good for the sport, there was nothing else spectacular about the race. It would be good to have some better coverage though there seems to be a lot of tactics in how the driver uses the battery but they don't really have time over 25 laps to go into too many details.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Heidfeld's car seemed to implode as if it were made of Lego.

I agree that the circuit was underwhelming. I'm at least hoping the London track won't be as bad as Polyphony Digital's version in GT5 & 6. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is there anywhere I can watch the race from?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Prost should have had the book thrown at him, incredible stuff!

Its no wonder why he never got to F1 properly.

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    Seemed interesting enough. A few tweaks will see this doing well.

The chassis is probably a bit light for a V10 so will need to be beefed up a bit :)

I guess the crash is kind of good publicity for the series added a bit more interest, bit more drama, showed that there's a bit of speed there, just a pity Heidfeld didn't try throw a punch or something when he ran after Prost ;)

Advertisement