Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother Nature at her best! ;)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Madam_X wrote: »
    The feigned outrage is amusing. I presume those who would "never" use a euphemism/slang for period would always say "I had sex"?

I think you're being deliberately obtuse. There's a big difference between using a slang word for something just 'cause and deliberately skirting around it because you find it embarrassing.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ahava wrote: »
    I always call it my period. Whether I talk to my female friends or my male friends. When I'm in a relationship I also usually call it my period, unless we are in an intimate situation and I need to tell my boyfriend that the knickers are staying on. Then I'd say that "my girl is on holidays" or "it's girly time".

It's not that I'd be embarrassed or ashamed to say that I'm having my period. I don't know, it feels more intimate and sweet to me to say it the way I do. In the same way as I have no problem at all saying 'penis', but when I talk to my boyfriend I call it his mickey. And it feels completely natural for me to say 'sperm' but when I'm intimate I'd rather say 'give me your magic ingredient'.

It's all about making the intimate relationship a bit cute and unique (as in 'we have our own language that we don't use with anyone else').

Those euphanisms sound like something out of a Mills & Boon. Sorry. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm not sure where you're going with the feigned outrage. :confused:

Menstruation is not a subject that appears to be easily talked about, even among women. Using the correct terminology makes it easier rather than substituting code words. When I gave my daughter the talk it was easier to say period, sex, semen, vagina, sex etc. than it was to tell her that she shouldn't shag when she's on blob and if she was going to that she should tell the boy to pull his mickey out before he spunked in her mumu otherwise she could end up with a bun in her oven. :D

One of the reasons for teaching children the correct words is so there is no ambiguity if there is a problem that they need to tell you about. Also it's easier to deal with doctors when you have a gynecological problem. "Hey Doc, my jade palace is burny when I tinkle." I don't think so. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

I just say I'm broken. The pill I've recently changed to means there's no 7 day break and it's still quite erratic as it hasn't settled. My OH knows before I do when I'm gonna get it. Few weeks ago, he said "you're gonna break tomorrow."

Broke my heart he was right! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I think you're being deliberately obtuse. There's a big difference between using a slang word for something just 'cause and deliberately skirting around it because you find it embarrassing.
    I agree. Thought the two were being viewed as one and the same though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I told my boyfriend tonight that it was shark week and he nearly fell off his chair laughing.

Success :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I'd usually say 'time of the month' or just I'm on my period, don't really feel the need to dress it up or disguise it or anything.

I actually quite enjoy getting my period unlike most women, as I've recently had some gyno problems with irregular bleeding etc so a regular cycle with all its nuisances feels like a blessing of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I know some people don't like them but I think some of the euphemisms are hilarious!

Sort of know what you mean beks01.. My cycle was really erratic. I went on the pill and it's so much less hassle knowing that I take my last pill on a Saturday and my period will arrive by Tuesday/Wednesday. Before I had no idea when it would come. I could go 3 or 4 months with no period and then next time I could get 2 in the space of the one month. Really painful and heavy too, caused me to pass out a couple of times.

Anyway, it's probably been mentioned but I've heard people calling a period their "monthly gift" and thought it was odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Generally just say I'm having my period as I live in a non-English speaking country and they'd have no idea what I was on about otherwise. I'd use "on the blob" if I'm feeling saucy otherwise but that's the way I'd refer to most things because it's funny for me and not because of any embarrassment. That's just how I was brought up and I know I've probably embarrassed others with my openness about it (feck 'em ;)). I do agree with some posters that the fact that some people feel extremely embarrassed about the whole thing is a pity. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

On my period, "time of the month" are my most usual. Sometimes I say I'm surfing the crimson wave though. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

As a Dragon Age fangirl, I've christened mine "the monthly Blight". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I just say period or time of the month. My ex used ask if I'd had my 'you know...' until I had used the word period with him enough to get him to stop being so embarrassed :pac:

I hate the term 'on the rag' too, because it's usually coming from lads I know giving out about women being moody on their period. If they were 'on the rag', they'd understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

We used to say Aunt Flo had come to visit or that the painters were in. I usually just say I have my period because I only really talk about it with my husband.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I was asked this recently and I realised that I just never talk about it :P In a bid to try and be a bit more open about it so I called it aunt flo, but more of a joke and to prove a point. I'm just not one to talk about it I guess. Sometimes I say lady issues if it is super necessary to mention it.

Only time I ever really refer to it is just telling my boyfriend "No sex today" :pac:

I am exactly the same!

And if I have ever had to talk about it I'd just say period. Always have but I do hate doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭_petulia_

What names do you ladies call your menstrual cycle?! Or other names you've heard it being called. I personally just call it a period. I do remember one time my mum asking did I get "my friend?!" and I was like WHAT are ya on about?! She said your period your friend! :) It ain't no friend of mine!

I tend to skirt around the issue but in the end I always just call it my period.

Having said that I've had a similar experience to you OP, in that every now and then my grandmother would enquire as to whether or not my 'little friend' was visiting. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

one of the girls at work calls it,"her things" I hate that with a passion
    I usually just say I'm broken (I might have to steal Shark week :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 syjg18

We call it Red Tide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I guess when I was younger it was my 'time of the month' but now I just call it my period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I was getting a flu jab yesterday (not from my regular doctor), and it reminded me of this thread.

Doctor: What was your last date?
    Me: Sorry, what?
    Doctor: When did you last have it?
    Me: Oh, this is my first time, I've never had the flu vaccine before.
    Doctor: Eh, no, I meant, when did you last *bows head, avoids eye contact* menstruate.
    Me: My period started a week ago.
    Doctor: OK. And are you ... hoping?
    Me: Am I ... hoping what? :confused::confused::confused:
    Doctor: Would you like to have a baby?
    Me: Maybe eventually, but no, certainly not anytime soon.

For feck sake, if you can't talk openly in a clinical medical environment, then when can you?! :confused: Was not impressed with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I was getting a flu jab yesterday (not from my regular doctor), and it reminded me of this thread.

Doctor: What was your last date?
    Me: Sorry, what?
    Doctor: When did you last have it?
    Me: Oh, this is my first time, I've never had the flu vaccine before.
    Doctor: Eh, no, I meant, when did you last *bows head, avoids eye contact* menstruate.
    Me: My period started a week ago.
    Doctor: OK. And are you ... hoping?
    Me: Am I ... hoping what? :confused::confused::confused:
    Doctor: Would you like to have a baby?
    Me: Maybe eventually, but no, certainly not anytime soon.

For feck sake, if you can't talk openly in a clinical medical environment, then when can you?! :confused: Was not impressed with him!

Wow, that's pretty poor form of the doctor. How could you be confident discussing any intimate issues with him if he behaves like that just to ask about your period?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nyoms

It's Aunt Flow the oul witch in this house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

I usually just tell people my lady parts are trying to kill me, or my uterus is trying to kill me, or I'm bleeding to death. I get pretty severe cramps so usually I'm having to refer to it as an explanation for being hunched over and extremely pale/high from a combination of Tylex and Ponstan.

Or than that I just use the word period in conversation. My nanny refers to it as 'your friend' though. Which I usually respond to by saying 'I don't know whose friend it is but it's not ****ing mine!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

From now on its the zombie invasion.

28 Days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

From now on its the zombie invasion.

28 Days

This is a good one, since I always look like the Walking Dead for the five days. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Shark week is my new favourite :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Crimson Tide.

The Curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I've fallen to the Communists :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I call it "Oh thank f**k I'm not pregnant"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

My husband refers to it as "The Time of Your Punishment for Being a Woman".

I generally refer to it as my period, or 'bleeding like a stuck pig' as in, 'can you make the dinner, Im bleeding like a stuck pig here and quite likely to stab you too just so you can join in'.

Im not into sex during it. I dont really mind the mess so much, but I tend to be too tender tbh and full penetration is uncomfortable. My husband finds it a total turn off anyway so itd be rare that the issue would come up.

Ive just switched to a new pill (cerazette) and cannot believe that Ive spend the last 20 years with (a) bleeding like a stuck pig once a month and (b) ever increasing headaches in the week break and (c) no sex during period time and (d) crazy hormonal moodiness during the week break. Ive only had a bit of breakthrough bleeding in the first few days, nothing since, so fingers crossed!!!

Maybe its too much info, but to add to the subject, I wasnt able to use tampons for years because I was so squeamish about putting them in, afraid they were too high so Id always leave them too low and theyd hurt. It was only after I lost my virginity that I realised, if that penis can go in there, a tampon can go higher!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

I call it my period, it's what my mother has always called it since I know what one was, and it's what all my friends refer to it as. At school so many girls were so awkward about it and referred to it as tom (time of month), aunt flo, my things, my yokes... It always baffled me, especially as we were in an all girls school... :/

I just tell my boyfriend "enjoy tonight, you won't be getting any for the rest of the week..." and he gets it... Don't think I could ever get my head around sex on my period... A good few of my friends do and say only good things about it (apparently it's the best thing ever for relieving cramps...) but the thought still freaks me out a bit...

Advertisement