Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother Nature at her best! ;)

Options
  • 27-09-2012 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

What names do you ladies call your menstrual cycle?! Or other names you've heard it being called. I personally just call it a period. I do remember one time my mum asking did I get "my friend?!" and I was like WHAT are ya on about?! She said your period your friend! :) It ain't no friend of mine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

In secondary school we called it Tom, as in Time Of Month. The boys didn't have a clue what we were talking about when we said Tom was visiting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Me and a friend call them our yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

My flowers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Shark week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was asked this recently and I realised that I just never talk about it :P In a bid to try and be a bit more open about it so I called it aunt flo, but more of a joke and to prove a point. I'm just not one to talk about it I guess. Sometimes I say lady issues if it is super necessary to mention it.

Only time I ever really refer to it is just telling my boyfriend "No sex today" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Me and my friends call it shark week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

My period.

Once you're past your early to mid teen years I think it's time to come out of the closet and call it by an identifiable name instead of a euphemism, otherwise it perpetuates the embarrassment that some people seem to feel concerning the subject. It's a perfectly natural bodily function. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

When I was younger we called it my friend or my others. Never understood those names but that was 20 years ago and we all called it that. For years now I've just called it my period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Tom is very good.

We used to call it Melissa - have no idea why :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

'Ah Feck' usually.

My sis and her best mate call it 'Steve'
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

My period.

Once you're past your early to mid teen years I think it's time to come out of the closet and call it by an identifiable name instead of a euphemism, otherwise it perpetuates the embarrassment that some people seem to feel concerning the subject. It's a perfectly natural bodily function. :confused:
    I say on the blob/rag but only because I like being informal about it - I think we tend to use euphemisms for all bodily functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Auntie Flo, period, time of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Period. I don't see the point in being coy about something completely normal. Never really understood why people are so weird about sex during it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

The Curse, Rage Week or Rag Week. :)

I usually just say period, but if I'm trying to get across the effect its having on me I can be more descriptive.

"If you were gushing from the crotch like its a mass murder crime scene, you'd be a itsy bit cranky too!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I say on my blob, on my rag, just because it's funny to me to be crass/ vulgar about it, when you're expected to be maybe a little shy or embararssed about it. That's pretty pathetic. It happens, it's been happening for 10 years, hopefully you're fertile. Get over it. And also because most men are like *lalala I can't hear you* when you say "period". Yes I'm on my period, please go to the shop and buy me chocolate & jam rags..

On the rag! I do say that one to the boyfriend a lot! Thanks for reminding me :P

Just been so long since I had to tell him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I just say I'm having my period. :confused: It rarely comes up in conversation, and if it does it's only with my boyfriend/doctor/friends, so I don't see why I'd need some weird code word for it.

Well, for that matter, why would you ever need a code word for it ... what normal person would be offended by calling a normal biological function by it's proper name? :confused:

I'm female, so I have a period every month. It's not something I go announcing to the world on a regular basis, but it's certainly not something I'm ashamed or embarrassed about, either ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Dolmio day :)

I know it's my period but that seems like a very archaic term to me.

Don't think you need a code, just some phrases are funny, and people like to be funny! I talk weird in general with loads of funny slang words.

Think I'll say shark week from now on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I just say period.

Having said that I have a mirena so I rarely get them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Period or time of the month. Making up names for it almost makes it seem like there's something wrong with it or it's something to be embarrassed about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I always just say period, and I really hate the phrase 'on the rag'.

LizT wrote: »
    Period or time of the month. Making up names for it almost makes it seem like there's something wrong with it or it's something to be embarrassed about.

Or, ya know different strokes for different folks? There's nothing wrong with periods. Periods are ace. Some people just think there are negative connotations to the word and prefer to refer to it in a way that works for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

mud wrote: »
    Or, ya know different strokes for different folks? There's nothing wrong with periods. Periods are ace. Some people just think there are negative connotations to the word and prefer to refer to it in a way that works for them.

And that's absolutely fine for them. I just think the more we as a society refer to periods using nicknames etc, the more of a taboo it becomes, the more people are less inclined to speak about it openly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should be going around telling people when we're on our period etc but for me personally I find using nicknames etc slightly juvenile.

Also I don't think I'd agree periods are ace, especially not when the cramps strike :P

LizT wrote: »
    And that's absolutely fine for them. I just think the more we as a society refer to periods using nicknames etc, the more of a taboo it becomes, the more people are less inclined to speak about it openly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should be going around telling people when we're on our period etc but for me personally I find using nicknames etc slightly juvenile.

Also I don't think I'd agree periods are ace, especially not when the cramps strike :P

Hee hee, I meant that the whole concept of a period is ace. Being all part of reproduction and all that good stuff :)

I dunno, I would never refer (for example) to sex as "copulating" or "intercourse" I prefer instead to refer to it using other words and I feel the same about the word period. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭cassiedoll

i say period or i got "them".

when i was younger my mother used to call them "Aunt from Red China"......i find it quite disturbing now cos i didn't have a clue what she was goin on about when i was in my teens!!!!

i hate the term "rag"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Hee hee, I meant that the whole concept of a period is ace. Being all part of reproduction and all that good stuff :)

I dunno, I would never refer (for example) to sex as "copulating" or "intercourse" I prefer instead to refer to it using other words and I feel the same about the word period. :)

I was going to say the very same thing!

I know a good few people who WILL NOT say the word ''period''. It doesn't bother me that they don't like using the proper words - there are lots of things I don't like talking about:)

I say period/time of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Don't think you need a code, just some phrases are funny, and people like to be funny! I talk weird in general with loads of funny slang words.

Totally agree with this! Sometimes I say period, sometimes I use slang words. It's nothing to do with embarrassment or shame. I have dozens of ways to refer to my cat, for example, and I am certainly not ashamed of him (he's a highly fabulous animal). ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I don't think it's about being formal for the sake of it, it's about making the point that there's nothing embarrassing about periods themselves or the word period.

A girl I knew on another online forum told us before that her husband wouldn't even put a box of tampons on the conveyor belt if they were shopping together and she had a box in the trolley. I think that's one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard in my life.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I don't think it's about being formal for the sake of it, it's about making the point that there's nothing embarrassing about periods themselves or the word period.

A girl I knew on another online forum told us before that her husband wouldn't even put a box of tampons on the conveyor belt if they were shopping together and she had a box in the trolley. I think that's one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard in my life.

Yeah, I'm not a bit embarassed about periods. As above periods are ace! :)

I think referring to them in a jokey way normalises it for people but maybe that's just me.

I can't believe that about that guy. Just wow!

Advertisement