Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blogger meets his Troll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

No, you won't.

And there are plenty of easily accessible IP to real address databases, for COMPANY registered addresses, not so much for individuals.

With Outlook and Skype, you already know who the individual is, and it's not too hard to Google their name, but if they have any sense, they won't have put their home address on the internet, so that still leaves you the problem of tying their IP address to their home address, LEGALLY remember?

If I use my dear old nana's internet connection to access my fake twitter and facebook profiles and spam the hell out of yours, then fill your e-mail inbox with spam, good luck to you trying to prove it was me, whether by illegal or legal means.

Now who's being naive?
    So what your using your relatives address,might be your neighbors wifi,in most cases that would track down you eventually to 30 meters radius,that's enough to get your arms broken.But theres a line insulting someone/and threatening to kill and sending threatening items to the house.nowadays kids only know how to use ps3 and maybe how install a game but when it comes to internet security/being anonymous its a rare find,especially who would spend time doing such horrible things with such skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

28064212 wrote: »
    Yes. An IP address does not "work out whose router it is". The only way to get that information would be by accessing the ISP's database and finding out which customer had the lease on that particular IP at that particular time

Oh sorry, it was just that I gave four possibilities for doing this without the ISP's logs and you gave no counterpoints to any of them so I assumed you hadn't read them.
    No, you won't.

And there are plenty of easily accessible IP to real address databases, for COMPANY registered addresses, not so much for individuals.

With Outlook and Skype, you already know who the individual is, and it's not too hard to Google their name, but if they have any sense, they won't have put their home address on the internet, so that still leaves you the problem of tying their IP address to their home address, LEGALLY remember?

If I use my dear old nana's internet connection to access my fake twitter and facebook profiles and spam the hell out of yours, then fill your e-mail inbox with spam, good luck to you trying to prove it was me, whether by illegal or legal means.

Now who's being naive?

The whois database gives the registered owner, it doesn't locate the street address of an IP address, although they may correspond.

I'm aware that for Outlook and Skype I already know who the individual is. That's the entire ****ing point. If I didn't know who the individual was then it would hardly be of any use to me would it?

I don't know if you're purposely trying to change the goalposts here but I don't intend to play along. I didn't say it was impossible to conceal your identity on the internet. I said that if an IP address was being used by one of my friends then I could probably work out who, just as happened in the blog post. You raised this as being impossible without accessing the ISPs logs. It isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

scamalert wrote: »
    So what your using your relatives address,might be your neighbors wifi,in most cases that would track down you eventually to 30 meters radius
    Stopped reading there, since you're talking utter nonsense. An IP address does not get you remotely close to 30 metres. It doesn't get you to 300 metres. It might get you to 3000m, if you're lucky

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Did I ban you on this account? Or was it a previous account I banned you with? Or do you just hate all the mods?

I am not saying I don't believe it because it can't be done.

I have little interest in conversing with somebody who glosses over what I am actually asking just to get a petty dig in.

I am not referring to what can be done. I am familiar with the reality of what people can do with minimal information.

I am asking about this specific situation that the author of this blog describes where this white knight shows up and pulls a house address out of his hat in two sentences.

That's what I want more detail on.

What I am talking about is specifically getting your house address, exact location, from a dynamically assigned IP address with an expiring lease in a legal manner without requests from police to ISPs. That's what I am asking about.

And to be fair, even this would have required a situation where the police were contacted and ignored a death threat.
    No,no no and no to the last three questions,as for isp giving address times have changed,a month ago i got a letter from eircom stating that i was downloading illegal music it stated my address,my name,house number,ip,time,torrent used,and what song was downloaded :pac: and it clearly stated eircom doesn't track their users in anyway

No,no no and no to the last three questions,as for isp giving address times have changed,a month ago i got a letter from eircom stating that i was downloading illegal music it stated my address,my name,house number,ip,time,torrent used,and what song was downloaded :pac: and it clearly stated eircom doesn't track their users in anyway

LOL
    Eircom don't
    But the prick from the RIAA who's PC you downloaded from, does!!!:D

• Advertisement

Zab wrote: »
    Oh sorry, it was just that I gave four possibilities for doing this without the ISP's logs and you gave no counterpoints to any of them so I assumed you hadn't read them.
    Apologies, I may have misread what you're saying, I thought you were saying Outlook etc could be used to get the IP address of the troll.

Are you saying that the "IT genius" got the IP address of the troll, then compared that address to IP addresses of all the blogger's emails etc? That seems like quite creative thinking by the IT guy, and doesn't match up too closely with what the blogger claimed

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Gordon wrote: »
    If he's emailed (received) his neighbour, yeah.
    Getting an IP address is trivial. Tracking that IP address to a real address is most definitely not
    Not if he knows his neighbour's IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

That's exactly the point everybody is trying to make to you.
    Eircom sent you the letter because they have access to which Eircom customer is using which Eircom IP address.
    A normal user can't access that information

Stopped reading there, since you're talking utter nonsense. An IP address does not get you remotely close to 30 metres. It doesn't get you to 300 metres. It might get you to 3000m, if you're lucky
    my mistake,true it only gives location to nearest exchange box,might be 30-50km now as i think,you know when you get them adds online with dating sites stating your town :rolleyes: ,but i stay with my opinion that its possible to do without guards being involved in all this.

Gordon wrote: »
    Not if he knows his neighbour's IP address.
    Seems to be what Zab was getting at all right. Conceivably possible, but doesn't quite match up with what the blogger claimed. And still requires quite a big leap of creative thinking by the IT genius to compare the troll IPs to email etc IPs, given that (IMO) the vast majority of trolls are not going to have any relationship whatsoever to the target outside of the trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

It makes baby Jaysus cry when you think that this person is actually a grown man.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

At a conservative estimate, perhaps 0.00001% of residential houses in the country would have that set-up

0.00001% of 2,000,000 houses = 0.2 houses in the country :pac:

the Op mentioned that he didn't track him down in one day,couple months or so,its enough to research where the most IPs are coming from.Then his friend came in,maybe fake website with root-kit attached to it,you need only one vulnerable open port to plant something like that,to further infiltrate into pc and eventually get names,and accounts used.

0.00001% of 2,000,000 houses = 0.2 houses in the country :pac:
    Exactly ;) As I said, a conservative estimate
    the Op mentioned that he didn't track him down in one day,couple months or so,its enough to research where the most IPs are coming from.Then his friend came in,maybe fake website with root-kit attached to it,you need only one vulnerable open port to plant something like that,to further infiltrate into pc and eventually get names,and accounts used.
    Root-kit? Open ports? Infiltrate? Stop talking nonsense. You clearly don't have much knowledge when it comes to computers, as evidenced by your claim of 30m from an IP address, and your surprise that your own ISP can find out what you're doing. When you're in a situation like this, you sit down, listen and see if you can learn something. Or possibly ask a question if you want further clarification. You do not go off spouting whatever marginally-relevant buzzwords you can think of

Are you saying that the "IT genius" got the IP address of the troll, then compared that address to IP addresses of all the blogger's emails etc? That seems like quite creative thinking by the IT guy, and doesn't match up too closely with what the blogger claimed

I don't know the blogger or his IT friend. All I can say is that if I took on the task I would have tried the methods I described, and other related ones, so from my point of view it isn't that much of a leap to think that he would too. The blogger himself is clearly not a techie and would likely only have a thin grasp on what his friend did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Story sounds like a load of bull****.

I don't know the blogger or his IT friend. All I can say is that if I took on the task I would have tried the methods I described, and other related ones, so from my point of view it isn't that much of a leap to think that he would too. The blogger himself is clearly not a techie and would likely only have a thin grasp on what his friend did.
    But you're talking about a situation where you know it's a friend who you're looking for. In the blogger's case, not only did they not know, but it would be extremely unlikely that it was a friend. As I said, that's quite the leap to make by the techie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Maybe he is looking for another stalker.
    Tell the world!!!!

• Advertisement

But you're talking about a situation where you know it's a friend who you're looking for. In the blogger's case, not only did they not know, but it would be extremely unlikely that it was a friend. As I said, that's quite the leap to make by the techie

It's easier if I know for sure it's a friend, but we're going to have to disagree on how much of a leap it would be. This wasn't some random abuse on a message board. This guy was referencing his family and sending packages to his house. I would definitely be suspicious that there was another connection between the two, particularly as (going by the blog post) the abuse didn't seem to be related to anything in particular the blogger was writing and couple that with the fact that I wouldn't have much else to go on. Anyway, hopefully he can ask his techie friend to write up the experience, although if it did involve tracking emails to all his friends then he may be reticent to do so.

It's easier if I know for sure it's a friend, but we're going to have to disagree on how much of a leap it would be.
    Yes :)

Exactly ;) As I said, a conservative estimate

Root-kit? Open ports? Infiltrate? Stop talking nonsense. You clearly don't have much knowledge when it comes to computers, as evidenced by your claim of 30m from an IP address, and your surprise that your own ISP can find out what you're doing. When you're in a situation like this, you sit down, listen and see if you can learn something. Or possibly ask a question if you want further clarification. You do not go off spouting whatever marginally-relevant buzzwords you can think of
    So according to you all the Admins/or ones studying IT are idiots who are trained to install windows-bravo.As for my situation since the day they signed that act with record companies i knew,that ill get some response or surprise from them,but not going defcon 5 to use proxy to hide myself as i downloaded stuff of internet for the last 10 years and not going to pay for anything that i dont like ,or download and delete program a day later.

So according to you all the Admins/or ones studying IT are idiots who are trained to install windows-bravo
    And I really thought you'd take my advice and think before you posted. Apparently not

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

humbert wrote: »

Ah ffs. It's the Gardai that come out of this looking the worst.

I hope the guy reported it to the Ombudsman.. the fact that he alleges he was told that the Gardai could do nothing about death threats been left on his doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

So according to you all the Admins/or ones studying IT are idiots who are trained to install windows-bravo.As for my situation since the day they signed that act with record companies i knew,that ill get some response or surprise from them,but not going defcon 5 to use proxy to hide myself as i downloaded stuff of internet for the last 10 years and not going to pay for anything that i dont like ,or download and delete program a day later.

now they know you've been doing it for 10 years they will be able to track your IP address to your home and lock you up for it!!

Scamalert is fairly up on this stuff for an idiot who uses torrents.:pac:

Scamalert is fairly up on this stuff for an idiot who uses torrents.:pac:
    only idiot is you,down here,stick with itunes or whatever your choice is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Very interesting post. Getting serious, how many people here would actually want to meet someone who was abusing them online with threats etc? Particulalry the men- yes, it might be satisfying to knock the crap out of them, but when push comes to shove, how many people would actually hurt the Troll? I thought the OP was very brave and I do hope that kid gets help..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Scamalert is fairly up on this stuff for an idiot who STILL uses torrents.:pac:

FYP there Bam :D;)

Advertisement