Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blogger meets his Troll

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I would have knocked out that little fuck out and started to stomp on his head until his eyes popped out of his skull.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I would have knocked out that little fuck out and started to stomp on his head until his eyes popped out of his skull.

Yeah, well you didn't :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Reminder to self: cancel plans to post ashes to Mickey's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Turns out this guy isn't half fond of bigging himself up-

http://www.traynorseye.com/2012/08/men-of-letters.html

knob! :rolleyes:

Got his Irish Times article and doctorate all into an amusing anecdote. So subtle too.... That Irish Times reading postman just asked all the right questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

BaZmO* wrote: »
    He seemed very calm after it all, but I'd imagine it was relief in the end as the Troll had said/done some really horrific things.

Should have called the Gardaí. The kid is probably making other people lives hell and nobody will know about it. Even if he's caught in the future he will have no record to show he has done it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

MagicSean wrote: »
    Should have called the Gardaí. The kid is probably making other people lives hell and nobody will know about it. Even if he's caught in the future he will have no record to show he has done it before.

What's your take on the bit about him claiming that the Gardai told him there was nothing they could do after ashes and threats to his family were delivered to their doorstep?

Pretty serious claim that... I'm sure he's reported it to the Ombudsman /s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

What's your take on the bit about him claiming that the Gardai told him there was nothing they could do after ashes and threats to his family were delivered to their doorstep?

Pretty serious claim that... I'm sure he's reported it to the Ombudsman /s

Was that in the op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

MagicSean wrote: »
    Was that in the op?

It's a ridiculous made-up story MS written by an idiot with a Walter Mitty complex to make himself sound more interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ah now in fairness, he was put through some pretty horrific times. Fair enough if it was just abuse via Twitter/email, but stuff being sent to your home address?!! That's hardly a "poor me" routine

Pretty scummy attitude there pal. Internet harassment is a serious problem and your comments, considering the number of victims (many of them young girls) who commit suicide as a result of cyber-bullying, show a distinct callousness and lack of understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Wouldnt be surprised if this guy has a screenplay of this ready to go as soon as he's drummed up enough publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pretty scummy attitude there pal. Internet harassment is a serious problem and your comments, considering the number of victims (many of them young girls) who commit suicide as a result of cyber-bullying, show a distinct callousness and lack of understanding.

What on earth are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gronemeyer

Scioch wrote: »
    Wouldnt be surprised if this guy has a screenplay of this ready to go as soon as he's drummed up enough publicity.

It sounds more worthy of a feature film, if only he could throw aliens and explosions in, to make it more believable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Internet addict, living in Ireland? He surely posts on AH. Come forth little one and show yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

dlofnep wrote: »
    Internet addict, living in Ireland? He surely posts on AH. Come forth little one and show yourself!

I say he who smelt it, dealt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

This alone tells me the guy made the whole thing up. My IP resolves to Dublin or Galway depending which provider I'm connected to at any part of the day and I'm rarely ever in either county, so the "IT guru/genius/whatever" would've had to hack the IP's ISP database to pin down the exact address of the account holder, which while in itself is not impossible- it's certainly illegal!
    :

If one of my friends was using an IP address there's a good chance I'd be able to work out who. There are definitely realistic ways that the computer friend could have tracked down who the IP address belonged to without resorting to the ISP's logs. I don't know if the story is true or not, but he isn't writing a technical account of how he tracked the troll down so it shouldn't be taken as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

What happened to the old fashioned abduct him.and break.his legs resolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Holy motherf****** s**t balls.

I can't believe the blogger reacted so calmly to the guy at the end. Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Zab wrote: »

If one of my friends was using an IP address there's a good chance I'd be able to work out who.
    There are definitely realistic ways that the computer friend could have tracked down who the IP address belonged to without resorting to the ISP's logs. I don't know if the story is true or not, but he isn't writing a technical account of how he tracked the troll down so it shouldn't be taken as such.

Mmhmm, time to get up for breakfast Walter. He ain't no Tom Clancy or Michael Crighton anyway, that's for sure! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If one of my friends was using an IP address there's a good chance I'd be able to work out who

Nonsense, unless you have access to the ISP database cross referencing the exact time it's not possible. And that only pinpoints the router, not the user

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No more than anyone using twitter deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Fair play to Leo, if I was in his shoes I don't think I would have been capable of showing any mercy at all.

If one of my friends was using an IP address there's a good chance I'd be able to work out who. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Nonsense, unless you have access to the ISP database cross referencing the exact time it's not possible. And that only pinpoints the router, not the user

Well, you could always enumerate the system itself ;) You wouldn't need any information from the ISP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I have to agree with others - it really sounds like a made up story that didn't happen; IMHO.

It wouldn't be hard to get the trolls IP address, assuming they weren't going to great lengths to hide it. Sending an e-mail will include the origination IP or getting them to visit a website you control. Easy enough.

Taking an IP address and matching it to an address? Very difficult. The location based 'estimates' you see on websites are just that, estimates, based off lookup tables.

http://html5demos.com/geo shows a location 3km north of where I am.
    http://www.whereisip.net/ shows a location 4km northeast of where I am.

I can conceive of an elaborate system where, if he suspected his friends, he could make individual posts on something like Facebook that each was only visible to one friend that included a unique link to a website. Each friend that clicked on it would then provide him with a friend -> IP mapping. Then he could compare that to the IP of the troll and realize it was the same as a friend.

But it's a real stretch to see that happening.

And even then - it wouldn't identify which family member it was. In fact, it wouldn't identify anything more than someone had access to one of their computers. It's just as likely (in this world of super hax0rs and evil trolls) that the troll HACKED into his friends home computer.

But no, this guy managed to track down the troll and comes to discover his parents *think* he's an evil bastard who would do those things; with no evidence of it. Then, they setup a 'sting' operation - where the kid breaks down, cries, confesses....

And the kids OWN PARENTS want to involve the law; but not this kind hearted old man, who did nothing wrong, but was still persecuted, out-witted his foe, and then showed compassion and love.

Seems fishy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Its easy to terrorize someone,or get into fights over twitter facebook or forums,ive myself insulted people,and even got called to meet face to face.End story in most cases i did apologize if i was wrong or to rude,or ignored and moved on.And the reality is like the OP described all the abuse mostly comes from sitting behind the screen,until you realize the person on the other end could snap your neck as easily as a match ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭darraghdoyle

Jaysis Boardsies, some of yis are fierce cynical altogether.

If this is made up, then Leo's gone to a hell of a lot of effort... for what? A bit of traffic to his blog?

I don't know the guy - follow him on twitter and Google+ - and have followed this story for a while now. If it is a set up, it's one of the most elaborate for the sake of a few blog hits I've seen in ages.

On Google+ - he posted this on August 15 https://plus.google.com/108745413579513709888/posts/d3gnZf7Df7M

and then followed up with this https://plus.google.com/108745413579513709888/posts/HtkfTsbSk8n

in case you can't see the image, here's what he was sent

ltyHB.png

then he came back August 16 https://plus.google.com/108745413579513709888/posts/3rXfHSHNJJd

then September 20 https://plus.google.com/108745413579513709888/posts/ScM6J9AWy34

and a follow up https://plus.google.com/108745413579513709888/posts/NNoM7dGHWvG

So if he's lying, he's gone to a lot of effort to make it look authentic...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I just think the manner in which he indicated he located his troll sounds like BS.

The internet law of proof or GTFO applies here IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I just think the manner in which he indicated he located his troll sounds like BS.

The internet law of proof or GTFO applies here IMO.
    Pretty easy I'd imagine, just create a tracking image and set up a trap for him somehow, I've done it myself on someone.

It's not something you would want to prove, as it would give the game away.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Gordon wrote: »
    Pretty easy I'd imagine, just create a tracking image and set up a trap for him somehow, I've done it myself on someone.

So you can get the IP address... But from that then the home address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Gordon wrote: »

So you can get the IP address... But from that then the home address?
    If he's emailed (received) his neighbour, yeah.

Advertisement