Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec Alarm Installation Manual

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I sent you that manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

dogrady76 wrote: »
    Hi. I've also lost my installation guide for my astec alarm. I never changed the engineering code and now I need to reposition a sensor to a new door. Racking my brains to remember but I can't. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You should not need the engineer code to do so. Just enter your user code on the keypad to turn off the alarm after removing the lid of the sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dogrady76

Thanks very much. Job done..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Glad you got it sorted.
    Any hassles you know where we are..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fabarm

I am trying to fix a sensor zone on my Astec system which consists of 6 no. Astec S12 inertia sensors combined with magnetic contacts. I am getting frequent enough activations reading "sensor fault" but command 88 in the engineering manual will not identify the faulty sensor (although I have a few spare sensors). In addition some of the activations are logged as "entry contact" alarms although there are just the 6 windows in the zone. The attack & pulse levels are set at 5.
    The engineer has yellow cables in the left & right sensor terminals & both blue cables in the middle terminal (loop wires?). On the EOL sensor ,yellow is in the left, blue in the middle & then the EOL resistor is in the middle & right.
    Page 57 of the engineering manual (kindly furnished by Koolkid) deals with "entry contact alarm on a loop without an entry contact" & recommends a resistance test but I would appreciate some directions on how to perform it or what way to go forward with this
    Many thanks

• Advertisement

You will need a multimeter to do this.

Remove the resistor from the last device on the zone and connect the wires to the last device.
    Sometimes the resistor is in the control panel so just remove this and connect the cable ends from that zone to the multimeter.
    Set the meter to 200 Ohms and take a note of the reading.
    Each device you have on that zone you will need to tap 10-20 times plus open and close each contact one by one. If you do connect the meter in series with the last device then make sure you disconnect the zone in the control panel plus any resistors on the loop and join the cable together there.
    After each one, check if the reading has changed.
    If it does not return to in or around the same value remove that device, join the cables from the alarm circuit together and move on to the next device.
    After this you should have a circuit with a lower resistance value that remains the same after you tap or open any device.
    Replace any faulty devices plus replace the EOL resistor and rewire the zone back into the panel.

Thanks for that Altor - much appreciated.

The EOL resistor is in the sensor itself & there are no other devices in the problem zone apart from the 6 sensors.
    Just wondering if the 1k5 2% resistor had to be replaced does it need to be a particular wattage & can I use a 1k5 5% instead?

Fabarm wrote: »
    Thanks for that Altor - much appreciated.

The EOL resistor is in the sensor itself & there are no other devices in the problem zone apart from the 6 sensors.
    Just wondering if the 1k5 2% resistor had to be replaced does it need to be a particular wattage & can I use a 1k5 5% instead?

The resistor in the zone should be fine. It a faulty sensor or two on that particular zone. Only testing with the meter will find the fault, just remove the resistor first.

Thanks again Altor

Fabarm wrote: »
    Thanks again Altor

Your welcome Fabarm, any problems let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 kildare29

hey. trying to reconfigure my astec alarm. has anyone a copy of the installation manual please/??

Sent you that :)
    Any problems let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kildare29

got it. cheers

Hope it helps. Any problems you know where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nowseperated

I am having a problem with a astec alarm I am not sure of the model but the keypad is S80 and the smoke detector module is module is s60 and the smoke detector is BRK model 83recn .

What was happening was intermittent smoke alarms with the smoke alarm going off at the ceiling and setting off the house alarm this was happening every few weeks .
    First I cleaned out the old smoke alarm (which was made in 2007) this made no difference.
    I then replaced the smoke alarm module with a different module and this seemed to work but again after a week it set off a false alarm.
    I measured the voltage going to the alarm and it reads 12.4v which seems a bit high as it is powering up a 9v smoke alarm .
    Any ideas as to what to do next ?
    Has anybody got a copy of the manual so as I could disconnect the smoke alarm from the system or what other ideas can I try.

Thanks

When it activates is the smoke alarm activating first?
    If so replace the smoke alarm with a similar 9 volt unit.
    I'll PM you the manual to see if that helps. You will need the engineer code to delete the smoke alarms off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nowseperated

Thanks for your help .
    yes the smoke alarm goes off first this has happened with 2 different smoke modules so I suspect the s60 smoke interface module ps a 12.4 volt dc when the smoke alarm is connected to high?

Thanks

To confirm it's not the smoke detector connect a standard 9volt battery and try it with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ladybong

Hi there, I am looking for an engineer manual for an Astec security system.

I sent you a PM with that manual.
    Hope it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 aequi

Hi all,

I'm also looking for a copy of the Astec engineering manual - could anyone help me out?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 robertfarrell

have an astec 63 panel.
    dont have any codes.
    can anybody tell me how to reset the panel.
    thanks

PMed you that manual.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Peej255

Hi, I'm looking for the engineers manual for an astec 63 alarm system.
    Can anyone send it to me or give me a link?

thanks

Peej255 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for the engineers manual for an astec 63 alarm system.
    Can anyone send it to me or give me a link?

thanks

Sent you a P.M.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Hi there,

This seems to be the best thread for this request. I have an astec 63DV alarm, with my engineering code and about 1/3 of the original installation manual, pages 30-60 have torn off somehow/time over the past 6 years.

Would anyone have a copy of it anymore? Very thankful if you can help!

I PMed you that manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nwhse

Hi there. Buying a house with an Astec 63 DV alarm fitted. Power to house has been off a while so I'm wondering when power is put back on, will it start alarming away?

I'm assuming that because its been without power for a long time (months) that its effectively been 'factory reset' and previous programmed codes (which I dont know) have been wiped?

Can someone please send me the Engineering/Installation manual?

Thanks

I PMed you the manual.
    The programming should still hold. The battery may be dead if it was not first disconnected.

• Advertisement

nwhse wrote: »
    Hi there. Buying a house with an Astec 63 DV alarm fitted. Power to house has been off a while so I'm wondering when power is put back on, will it start alarming away?

I'm assuming that because its been without power for a long time (months) that its effectively been 'factory reset' and previous programmed codes (which I dont know) have been wiped?

Can someone please send me the Engineering/Installation manual?

Thanks

Hopefully the system battery link was disconnected when the power was turned off. I have attached a picture of the battery link location. If so the battery may work with a charge.

276065.jpg

The alarm will activate when you power the system up.

Default user code is 4711
    Default engineer code is 1174

If the default codes do not work and you don't have the user code to turn the alarm off then you will need to do a factory reset.

All you do is down power the alarm, mains and battery. Remove factory link which is located on the left side of the PCB as you look at it. Power back up and it should default allowing you to use the default user and engineer codes.
    If the system does not default it is engineer locked and you would need an engineer to unlock and reset the system for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement