Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HIGHER DIPLOMA IN APPLIED SCIENCE (SOFTWARE DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT)(GYE12)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PRyan123

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering is it possible for people taking the Hdip (GYE12) or the Masters (GYE03) to apply for summer intern-ships like those taking the industry stream course ?

As you all know a certain amount of IT experience is required when applying for jobs in the IT sector and really intern-ships are the only way to start gaining some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dingle20144

Hey Guys

Doing an interview tomorrow for the HDip in Soft. design anf dev. with NUIG and im just wondering whats instore... Questions they ask, topics for discussion, need i stress about this?? Also anyone who has done the internship, is that paid??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jose-fahartose

Hoping to start this course in september. Anyone who has done this HDip and is now working are you working with the same company you did the internship with, or did you look elsewhere after the 3 months? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kellzer

Hi, I just finished the course in May this year and have been on my internship since. The company is keen to keep me on thou so looks good on that front. There are a lot of very good companies involved with the internships but there's also a few that aren't as good, and have little chance of being extended beyond the three months. It's really nothing more than the luck of the draw which company you end up with. I'm not sure what success rate of people that are kept on is but it seems to be pretty high, but like I said there are a few of the placements that have no chance of this.

I would definately recommend the course thou-it's hard work but I enjoyed it and learnt a lot. I would think that most people who aren't kept on after the internship will get sorted themselves anyway. I know people from the regular stream of the course that had no internship and some of them got jobs more or less straight away in June. Let me know if I can help you with any other info you need. Had a good few questions myself this time last year!

Cheers for the info Kellzer. Jobs prospects look good then!

Can i ask with the company mentor, did you work with them through all projects during the course or just the main one in the second semester? Do they give a lot of feedback/collaboration during the year or how does that work?

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement

Any idea what date the course is starting in September ?

It says 8th Sept on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭darraghking22

Hey All,

Just offered a place on this course, any idea about the 500euro deposit?
    Im not paid till 28th, but they want it within 10 days.
    Anyone know if they will be ok putting it off for a couple of days?

Hey Guys

So i didnt get offered the Industry stream course but i did have my deposit paid for the GYE12 course. In terms of modules for the GYE12 whats best to pick that may be the closest to the Industry stream? I done AI and tech writing in my B.A year so i dont want anymore EASY subjects. Also thanks Kellzer for ur input.

DarraghKing22 , email the fees office and explain that u have a situation in terms of money and u request a extension , that worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I don't think there are any huge differences for the industry streams modules. They'll focus on one language (either Java or C#, I believe) instead of splitting it between the two. To be honest most of whatever you learn in one is easy enough to learn to do in the other iirc.

Might be worth your while digging into C before starting though? Computer Architecture and a few other modules can be a bit hard to relate to when you've only dealt with higher level languages imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭darraghking22

@dingle20144.....thanks for the advice. I thought it was all an automated process, never thought to email them.
    Mailed them anyways and they've extended the deadline till sept 1st

Working part time while doing this course, will deco put in the extra time required by the course being so intense so hopefully it's doable with the PT job.

Thanks for the advice and posts.

Thanks.. I done Java in my undergrad degree. Im looking into buying a Macbook for the coming year. Anyone have any advice on which Mac might be best suited both on college and the pocket?? thanks

Thanks.. I done Java in my undergrad degree. Im looking into buying a Macbook for the coming year. Anyone have any advice on which Mac might be best suited both on college and the pocket?? thanks
    If you're doing .NET stuff, a Mac wouldn't be the best idea I don't think. Might be wrong here, I've never had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Mac is well able for the job. Probably go for the older model macbook pro at 1149. Not as expensive as the retina models but more powerful than the macbook airs. Compub store on shop st. have student discounts.
    http://store.apple.com/ie/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Would you be dual booting Windows on it then? Recent versions of Visual Studio have to be a bit resource heavy on a vm, surely?

I've never touched a Mac in my life, mind. Can remember someone or another complaining about them for whatever reason, no clue if he even knew he could stick Windows on there though, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

I use a mac because I love OSX but I dual booted windows when I needed visual studio. Works perfectly because it's supported by Apple.

Heys guys. So I was considering the part time diploma in Irish along side the hdip in soft. Design. For rhose who completed GYE12, is taking on an extra diploma of 3 hrs a week alot on top of the IT?

Heys guys. So I was considering the part time diploma in Irish along side the hdip in soft. Design. For rhose who completed GYE12, is taking on an extra diploma of 3 hrs a week alot on top of the IT?
    If I recall correctly, the end of semester two was shocking busy. The rest of the time it wasn't that bad but you might occasionally hit into something that would take way more time than expected (I recall Internet Programming taking a huge amount of time for a lot of people, in patricular). So yeah, uhm, gather up a few people's opinions, dunno if it'd be worth the risk myself, depending on how much else you've going on.

No clue what would be involved in the Irish diploma, mind.

Anybody have insight into the 2nd year of the masters...

Do you or IT dept decide your thesis topic ?
    How much student/lecture contact (weekly/fortnightly/monthly) ?
    Is it possible to have a job while completing your thesis ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eefasaur

Hello everyone!

Been reading through all the posts and I've just applied for the course myself so fingers crossed!

I was wondering what the reading lists are like?

Does anyone who has done the course, or doing it now, have any tips on pre-study? Any book titles recommended in the core modules would be really helpful!

Anyone else applying for this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Tonntaa

I applied for it too! But it's my third choice for NUIG so we'll see XD

• Registered Users Posts: 26 emerfan

Anyone do their internship with the Marine Institute and like to give advice / experience? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

I'm currently doing an arts degree at nuig without IT as a subject I'll be in third year this September.

Is there any course or anything online I could do in the meantime to strengthen my application or give me a head start on this hdip as I would love to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Hi Guys,

Just a quick message to say that applications are currently open for this course until 15th July, the applicants for 2016-2017 are down from last year so applicants would have less of a fight to get on the demanding course.

It is a fees paid conversion course and includes a paid internship upon completion of the course.

more information here on this 2 semester course.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/engineering-informatics/information-technology/courses/postgraduate-courses/softwaredesignanddevelopmenthdipappsc-industrystream/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jemmett

Hi Freeman just applied for the course recently,I was just wondering where you received this info about the course not having as many applicants? Have you done the industry stream before or teach it? If you know anything about the interview process that would be much obliged thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

any recent graduates to this course? would you need to be good at maths?

Advertisement