Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HIGHER DIPLOMA IN APPLIED SCIENCE (SOFTWARE DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT)(GYE12)

Options
  • 22-09-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey,

Has anybody an insight to this course? what primary degree would be neccessary to gain entry to this course. i.e would a degree in civil engineering from an i.t be an acceptable entry to this course?

Would a level 8 degree from a an i.t be a suitable entry route?

What level are these courses i.e is it an intensive course bringing you up to speed with people that have computing as a primary degree?

What are the follow on studies options for this course?

Are employees seeking graduates that do conversion courses, or would a primary degree in computing be more employable?

Thanks in advance! :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Has anybody an insight to this course?
    I kind of do - I'm currently in 4th year of the BSc in IT (the biscuits, they call us!) and my supervisor is one of the lecturers on the course and he told me a good bit about it so I know a little :)

what primary degree would be neccessary to gain entry to this course. i.e would a degree in civil engineering from an i.t be an acceptable entry to this course?
    They accept people from any background. It's mainly engineering and science students, but there are humanities students there too. There's a big number of places and I don't think it's common for a person not to get a place on the course if they have the necessary minimum requirements.

Level 8 is Level 8 no matter where it's obtained as far as they are concerned!

What level are these courses i.e is it an intensive course bringing you up to speed with people that have computing as a primary degree?
    That's essentially it. It's a conversion course that attempts to give you an opportunity to apply for jobs as a software developer after a year regardless of your primary degree.

There's a one year (h.Dip) and a two year (masters) course of that same course as far as I know. Once you have the Masters you can presumably keep on going in Postgraduate research or whatever. Of course, you don't necessarily need the masters for that but it probably would help - there's a research part of the masters too that would probably be beneficial if you wanted to go down the PhD route in the long run.

Are employees seeking graduates that do conversion courses, or would a primary degree in computing be more employable?
    Skills are skills. A primary degree in computing is very attractive to employers but that's not to say engineers, scientists etc don't possess the qualities of a software engineer - logical reasoning being a big one. I worked in a IT consulting firm and one of the analysts had just finished a degree in engineering (not electronic or computer engineering - mechanical or something) and he was hired despite having no real IT/Computer experience - they were willing to train him on the job because he displayed the overall qualities they were after - I imagine though having a primary degree in an unrelated field and then doing the conversion course would look good to any potential employers as a sign you were willing to gain the skills necessary to work in the industry. I'm not sure of the figures but I believe a lot of students leave after the first year (with the Dip) because they get job offers.

I hope I've been relatively helpful. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who are in the course or who have done it and can answer the questions better! Also, if you have questions about subjects - we've shared a couple of modules with those classes so I might be able to help there too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Cheers for the info, reap-a-rat. Also considering doing this next year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'm just finishing up the MSc in Software Design and Development. It's the Diploma year + 1 year research project. My thesis is due this Friday so I'll give a few quick answers and any more details after Friday. ;)
    Dalmighty wrote: »
    Has anybody an insight to this course? what primary degree would be neccessary to gain entry to this course. i.e would a degree in civil engineering from an i.t be an acceptable entry to this course?
    Yes that should be acceptable. I entered with a degree in Civil Engineering from NUIG. My research project is actually a nice mix between engineering and IT. There are a couple of Civil Eng students in every year.

Yes the diploma year is quite intense. You'll cover a few programming languages, databases, software engineering, internet programming and a few optional modules. You'll see the full list on the page.

As there's a lot of demand in the area at the moment most go straight into jobs. If you do the 2-year MSc you may have the option of doing a PhD if you're working on an interesting topic that merits further research.

I don't know how people with a primary degree in computing are doing for jobs but people from this course seem to get snapped up fairly quick. A few from the class who signed up for the MSc left after the diploma as they had work. Others kept a job going as they did their research year, depends how flexible your employer is and focused you are to do both.

It's a great course - highly recommend it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Dalmighty

Hey, thanks for the reply. You have been more than helpfull.

Im am hoping to do this course next september pending good results from my honours degree.

Im in the construction sector so the likelyhood of employment is slim, and im under the impression that the ict sector is thriving. Reports from my friends say that software developers are increasingly in demand.

I have started doing a basic fetac level 5 web design to give me sum insight to dreamweaver etc.

Any advice for a person venturing to do this course?
    Is there much benefit to doing the Msc apposed to the diploma, in respect to gaining knowledge?

Thanks again, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Hey, thanks for the reply. You have been more than helpfull.

Im am hoping to do this course next september pending good results from my honours degree.

Im in the construction sector so the likelyhood of employment is slim, and im under the impression that the ict sector is thriving. Reports from my friends say that software developers are increasingly in demand.

I have started doing a basic fetac level 5 web design to give me sum insight to dreamweaver etc.

Any advice for a person venturing to do this course?
    Is there much benefit to doing the Msc apposed to the diploma, in respect to gaining knowledge?

Thanks again, :D

Was in a similiar situation to yourself, Fetac course is a good start for Dreamweaver but you wont be really using that in this course, focuses more on designing a page in html from the ground up and introducing php, javascript etc... into the page.

If you want to get a bit of a headstart on the course I suggest ya look at this guys videos, New Boston particulary Java Beginner, Javascript, php and XHTML & CSS. No need to delve too far into them just the first few videos to get your environment set up and getting a handle of what the language is all about.

• Advertisement

hey it`s me again,

Kinda anxious about getting into this course..is there a requirement of a high GPA?
    At the end of this year ill have a honours degree in engineering which is a requirement.
    I want to make sure i tick all the boxs to get into this course!

Any advice would be of benefit!:cool:

Can't see why you wouldn't get in. You applying for the masters or diploma? Email the department I'd say if you want to double check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

What roles did people on the course get? And Did you get sorted yourself joe?

Just researching..is it possible to carry on and continue to the Master of Information Technology GYE05 when you complete this hdip:confused:

Just researching..is it possible to carry on and continue to the Master of Information Technology GYE05 when you complete this hdip:confused:

I don't think so, I'm not aware of anyone that did that this year anyway. If you want to do GYE05 best apply for it.

As far as I can see, GYE05 is aimed more at IT students who want to get into a management side of things rather than a development side. A prerequisite is that you have a good handle at the Development side already id say.

If you wanted to do the Hdip first and then apply again for GYE05 the following year I'd say you could get in. Problem is they would be considered separate Postgrad courses so fees would be alot.

If you are unsure get in touch with the Course co-ordinators. When I was there last year, Michael Schukat for HDip, Hugh Melvin for MSc and Pat Byrne for MIT.

If you do the Hdip you can get into MSc the following year, though you have to get a 2:1 and not fail any exams(ie No Compensation). Probably be better to apply for the Masters first then the Hdip if you don't get it.

I came form a Civil background but got into the Masters on the basis of prior programming experience. I'm not sure how strict the criteria is but I met with the course coordinator and did up a Personal statement.

Have deferred my 2nd year as I got offered an extension to my Summer Intern-ship. Working as a .Net Dev.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

Just thought I'd throw in my opinion with everyone else. I'm currently doing the 1st year of the Masters in Software Design & Development course.

The first year of the Masters is the same as the Higher Diploma, the only difference is that each course has one particular class that is required to study over the year.

In the Higher Diploma (http://www.it.nuigalway.ie/programmes_hdip_applied_science.html) you have to take the Software Design & Development Project (CT869) class, and

In the Masters (http://www.it.nuigalway.ie/programmes_masters_science.html) you have to take the Research Project (CT876) class.

Other than that you have the Core classes and one Optional class.

I am only just after completing the first semester of the course, but I already had a background in IT from doing an Arts Degree last year. The background in IT definitely relieved a lot of the pressure. Many people that came from a background without IT found it hard to adjust to the amount of material covered. They all seem to be doing alright now, but it really is up to each individual to put the effort in to be able cope.

As for gaining entry, a Level 7 Primary Degree is required for the Higher Diploma, whereas a Level 8 Honours Degree (minimum 2.2 Degree) is required for the Masters. There is also a short passage to write about yourself explaining why you think you should be accepted onto the course. The Degree Qualification Level you get from the courses are a Level 8 for the Higher Diploma and a Level 9 for the Masters (see - http://www.nfq.ie/nfq/en/images/FanDec2006.jpg for more information).

The handy thing with these courses is that they are interchangeable. For example, if you apply for the Masters but during the first year you decide you don't want to do the research-based second year you can opt to graduate with the Higher Diploma at the end of the first year. And alternatively, if you do well in the Higher Diploma you can opt to apply for converting over to the second year of the Masters Degree. I decided to apply for the Masters to be safe becuase it's easier to drop down than up, and I am more than likely going to choose to graduate with the Higher Diploma as job opportunities are quite good with this course.

Anyways, apologies for the giant wall of text, I just got rambling... Hope it helps.

Oh, and if anyone by any chance has a copy of the second semester timetable for the Hgiher Diploma or Masters course I'd be grateful for a link or copy of it if possible? Need to try plan ahead for part-time work.

Nope all this is a help..what kinda jobs are on offer on completion of this course?? are there alot based around galway?

Iv applied for it next september..hopefully il getta an offer on compleetion of 4th year..really studying something i hate at the min.. so no motivation in it..an there a lack of job prospects..which is also a b**ch...

ANything else relevant that we should now..like what kinda assignment are you required to undertake.. is it written or designing assignment etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Hey, I'm doing this course this year. I'm in H.Dip side of it and selected the Research Project option if I decide to do the Masters. I will more than likely be finishing after the one year though because jobs are available.
    The course is hard if you have no IT background. The language taught is Java and next semester I hear is VB.Net which I'm not so sure about. Course also covers HTML,CSS,Javascript,PHP,MySQL, Algorithms,Computer Architecture (This is all semester one).

My advice it only do it if you like computers, it's not a career for everyone. If you think it appeals to you and you can get good grades then you will more than likely be guaranteed a job when you finish.

Ps. I read somewhere of someone who done this course and done his second year Thesis part time whilst he was working and the Thesis was related to his job which made it a lot easier I'd guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Did it a few years ago, would recommend it although...
    boardzz wrote: »
    The language taught is Java and next semester I hear is VB.Net which I'm not so sure about.

Are they not doing C or C++ anymore? :confused:

c_man wrote: »

Are they not doing C or C++ anymore? :confused:

Apparently not, last year we did C and then Java for our OOP but it seems its only Java this year, bit of a shame really.

It's becoming a Java school then? ;)
    Nope all this is a help..what kinda jobs are on offer on completion of this course?? are there alot based around galway?

Generally speaking there's a shortage of software devs around. Lots of places in Galway taking up grads, though I wouldn't restrict myself (you'd be foolish to ignore Dublin if you have no ties keeping you in Galway).

Hmm if this is anything to go by that article could well be spot on. Saying that there is always going to be the very weak students who are going to try and plagiarise their way through a degree, you would hope that they are weeded out in any college course but you would be surprised.

so got an early acceptance to the course...as far as module options go...what would you recommend?:confused:

Not sure what background you have or anything but Artificial Intelligence is a easy option to do well in, and the lecturer is a nice man who is very laid back. I have recommended it to anyone who was asking for easy modules in order to relieve the pressure of the other modules.

If you intend to go on to do the Masters add-on year after then it is generally recommended that you choose the Research Methods option in order to get a basic idea of what the Masters year will be like. If not aiming for the Masters, then Technical Writing was also meant to be okay to do well in, though I never done it myself so I couldn't say for sure.

The only other option I have done before is the Graphics and Image Processing. It was a very interesting module but probably the hardest class I've taken at university. The material is quite dense and was delivered very fast. In general I wouldn't recommend it unless you aim to go into something like game development or computer graphics.

I heard mention that Cryptography was alright, but again I haven't experienced it myself.

Really it depends on what type of career you want to make for yourself and choose an option that may help in getting you there.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'm almost finished the course at this stage so I would have a fair understanding of it. Oh, and by the way, the languages used in Programming are Java for semester 1 (12 weeks), and C# and Java for semester 2 (6 weeks of each).

@ Barti: thanks for the insight..it is very helpfull..feel like im wasting my time in college due to the lack of employment opportunities in every sector..

Are u confident of finding a job after completing this course?
    What modules did you do?

Again thanks for your help!

• Advertisement

Yeah, the job prospects are pretty good as far as I know. Though I would definitely recommend working hard at it in order to obtain a good strong understanding and therefore be employable. Many people on the Masters course tend to leave after the first year and graduate with the H.Dip. instead due to the job opportunities.

As for the modules I done, in Semester 1 I took Database Development, Programming I, Software Engineering Methods, Internet Programming, Software Design & Development Project (Optional Module), Research Methods Project, Computer Architecture & Operating Systems, and Algorithms and Logical Methods.

This Semester I have taken Programming II, Software Design & Development Project, Software Engineering Methods, Computer Communications and Research Methods Project.

I'm not sure if it will be the same next year, but this year you only have to choose one optional module over the entire course. The rest are core modules and have to be taken. Generally if you intend to go on to the Masters course after doing the H.Dip. then you should take the Research Methods Project option in the H.Dip. year just to have the experience. And if on the Masters you could take any of the optional modules, but the Software Design & Developemnt Project is quite good for gaining experience in all areas of programming.

donegal11 wrote: »
    What roles did people on the course get? And Did you get sorted yourself joe?

Just to follow up on this - yeah I'm now in full-time work in Galway as a software developer. :) Focused mostly in C# and WPF, neither of which was done in the course! But when you prove you can learn a couple of core languages then it's very easy to adapt to new languages.

so got an early acceptance to the course...as far as module options go...what would you recommend?:confused:

I did Graphics. Was fine but a bit rushed. More important than the optional modules though is your year project imo. This is a chance to really go beyond the course, learn a new language/tech/area and I guarantee that any interview you have after, you'll be mostly asked asked about this compared to any course you do. Some companies used to sponsor certain projects, don't know if this is still happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

J o e wrote: »
    Just to follow up on this - yeah I'm now in full-time work in Galway as a software developer. :) Focused mostly in C# and WPF, neither of which was done in the course! But when you prove you can learn a couple of core languages then it's very easy to adapt to new languages.
    Well done, good to see you got sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Hi,
    I've just got a place on this course and following on from previous posts I was wondering what would be good preparation so that I can hit the ground running. I'm working part time so I'm planning to devote a good bit of time to getting up to speed in the next few months. I'm very much a novice, graduated from a completely unrelated course, so if there's any ex students willing to impart some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

If I were you, I'd start with a programming language, I'd recommend Python in your case. and start with any of the beginner tutorials on the web. You will start to get the hang of the syntax and execution, then move onto for loops, i/o, algorithms, data structures etc etc. Then maybe do a little html, javascript. There's a Development forum here that you should ask any questions on (and there's a fair few threads like this in there).

Best of luck with the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Thanks for the advice,its a bit daunting starting out but I've got six months..I'm looking forward to the challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kellzer

Hi Dalmighty-I'm thinking strongly about applying for this course for next September. Did you have to do much to get accepted or was it a fairly straight forward process of just filling out the paperwork? Did they call you for interview or anything before accepting you? Would appreciate any info that you can give me because I'm a bit anxious that I won't get accepted although I do have a 1.1 degree in Civil Eng from NUIG so maybe Im being pessimistic about my chances!

Hi

Fairly straight forward process, you have very good qualifications with a strong background in maths coming from engineering..id say you would walk through the application process.. there was no interview involved either.. apply through PAC

I was at the post grad open day and they said that their pretty relaxed about entry requirements! the students coming from this course seem to have had very positive experiences mostly in terms of gaining employment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 thechemputer

Hello there!

Has anyone made an application to the Industry stream of this course? Through Blue brick? I have been offered a place in the Msc but no word on the industry stream version yet! I

Advertisement