Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HIGHER DIPLOMA IN APPLIED SCIENCE (SOFTWARE DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT)(GYE12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

Whats used for Java in the course, Eclipse or NetBeans?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Eclipse

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

Barti wrote: »
    See this pdf of one of the exam papers to see what sort of things would be covered https://www.mis.nuigalway.ie/papers_public/2012_2013/AM/2012_2013_MP305_1_1_5.PDF

As for the other subjects, I never done them, but I could find links to the exam papers if you want. It's usually best to sample the subjects at the start to get an idea of what they're about and then choose.

Is there a way to find the other exam papers online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

starWave wrote: »
    Is there a way to find the other exam papers online?

Yep
    http://www.library.nuigalway.ie/collections/specialcollections/exampapersarchive/

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Taylor12

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm just wondering how much maths is involved as I wouldn't have a strong background at all!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭MooShop

I'm looking at doing this course next year, the Industry stream branch of the course. Through the ictskills website it says that applicants would be subject to an interview and aptitude test on the day of the interview.

I was wondering if anybody has gone through this process, would you be able to give me some insight in to this please. What does the aptitude test entail? Is it a technical interview, or more of a "why do you want to do this course" type of affair?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JackNow

Hi Guys, i would like to do the software engineering HDip in NUIG
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/adult-and-continuing-education-courses/softwareengineering.html/
    and i wondering if anyone hear knows what books they teach as i would like to get a head start and start reviewing the course material.
    Im probably jumping the gun as they havent selected anyone for this course yet.
    Any help \ input is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kellzer

Hey, the book that they recommended for programming in semester 1 is "An introduction to objected oriented programming" by Thomas Wu. It's a good book but any introduction to java book will hit a lot of the same topics if you can't get your hands on that one. We covered a lot of the topics in that book in semester 1.

Thanks Kellzer for the name of that book. I am now reading it.
    Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jimmel

Can anyone give me an idea of the hours per week involved in the Software Engineering online (pdip) GYE16 course. Not the MSC and not the full time course. It says 20 hours per week on the website but that seems a bit excessive for a course where people are mainly working full time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

Jimmel wrote: »
    Can anyone give me an idea of the hours per week involved in the Software Engineering online (pdip) GYE16 course. Not the MSC and not the full time course. It says 20 hours per week on the website but that seems a bit excessive for a course where people are mainly working full time.

I think 20 hours a week is probably typical of any part time course.

I've done the Hdip course (full-time), and if you have done object orientated programming (C# or Java) before you can probably get away with less than the 20 hours suggested. If you are relatively new to OOP, then you might need the 20 or more. I'd say it depends on the individual.

Hi starWave, im applying for this course and i will be studying in the evening and weekends. i am currently reading java and C# books to try and get a head start(i have not been notafied if i will be accepted yet) but can you tell me what course books did you have to read? or can you give me any books that you would recommend for java?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

JackNow wrote: »
    Hi starWave, im applying for this course and i will be studying in the evening and weekends. i am currently reading java and C# books to try and get a head start(i have not been notafied if i will be accepted yet) but can you tell me what course books did you have to read? or can you give me any books that you would recommend for java?

Heads first java

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Robmeister2011

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but all of the courses opened on the new website this morning and the H.Dip in Applied Science isn't there.

There's one in Maynooth alright. Has the course been discontinued at NUI Galway? I received an email during the week to say that it would be opening soon, but it hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

What do you mean open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Robmeister2011

The applications for the ictskills.ie springboard courses opened today, but the H.Dip in Applied Science in NUIG wasn't included. There's one with a similar name in NUIM now, but it's unlikely that they'd move a course when they have candidates/teachers in Galway, so maybe they just decided not to fund it this year? I'm going to get on to the department anyway, and see what the story is. Was really looking forward to getting on to this.

Edit: It's up now in the last hour. Crisis averted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PRyan123

Anyone know the start date for the post-grad IT courses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dingle20144

Hey guys, Iv been offered this course with NUIG and wondering of past students who done it, is ther jobs there after the 1 year HDIP and without this course would u have got a job?

I done it last year and the majority of students are now working in IT. Of course if you have never done an IT course then you probably wont get a job in IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

is ther jobs there after the 1 year HDIP and without this course would u have got a job?

First part, yes there's jobs.
    boardzz wrote: »
    I done it last year and the majority of students are now working in IT. Of course if you have never done an IT course then you probably wont get a job in IT.

Disagree. I know of at least one grad from there, from a very non-tech primary degree, who landed a C# dev role. Another whose only experience before the Dip was a semester of Programming in first year Arts! And those are just in my company. Of course you'll have to work a bit harder, but that should go without saying.

• Advertisement

I was saying if you don't do an IT course AT ALL. The poster asked if you would get a job without doing this course.

My bad :)

Apologies my bad. Im paying my deposit today for the dip and just wanted to be sure theres light at the end of the tunnel. If you don't mind me asking wher ye are working and hiw do u like ur job?? :) thanks guys

Apologies my bad. Im paying my deposit today for the dip and just wanted to be sure theres light at the end of the tunnel. If you don't mind me asking wher ye are working and hiw do u like ur job?? :) thanks guys

Well suffice to say I work for a multinational :) and am a developer on a pretty interesting project. I definitely enjoy my job.

I'm a while out of the H.Dip now but we've hired a few grads out of it over the years. Best of luck with it, and you should check out the Development Forum here on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭darraghking22

hey guys, anyone know when the closing date for applications for this course is?

Sorry for the silly question but I dont see any dates anywhere.

also, do offers of places come out in august with the CAO offers?

Appreciate any input :)

Thanks guys

Check out @hdipindustry on twitter.there's a link to a video about the course (key dates etc) posted there recently.

I just finished this course in may. (on internship now) offers are nothing to do with Cao. Think I was accepted about 2 weeks after the interview that I did. The whole process seems to be running a bit later this year thou because interviews were held in mid may last year.

It's a very good course-busy year but would recommend it highly and the job prospects at the end seem good.(although I am only on my internship at the moment like I said). Any other questions feel free to ask.

hey guys, anyone know when the closing date for applications for this course is?

Sorry for the silly question but I dont see any dates anywhere.

also, do offers of places come out in august with the CAO offers?

Appreciate any input :)

Thanks guys

Kellzer wrote: »
    Check out @hdipindustry on twitter.there's a link to a video about the course (key dates etc) posted there recently.

I just finished this course in may. (on internship now) offers are nothing to do with Cao. Think I was accepted about 2 weeks after the interview that I did. The whole process seems to be running a bit later this year thou because interviews were held in mid may last year.

It's a very good course-busy year but would recommend it highly and the job prospects at the end seem good.(although I am only on my internship at the moment like I said). Any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the reply. Wasn't expecting an answer so quickly.

So I'm just finished my level 7 in comp and electronic engineering and I loved the programming side of things and want to go down that route, but not sure if I can still apply for this Hdip?
    Is it too late to apply if the interviews have already taken place?

I checked out that twitter account, but could only find information about the industry stream Hdip.
    The course Im wondering about is this one:
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/taught-postgraduate-courses/software-design-development.html

• Advertisement

Sorry thought you were asking about the industry stream one. Both courses are almost identical (90% of the course is the same) except there are no fees for the industry stream one and you get a paid internship at the end of it. There would be no reason not to apply for this one as it is the same course with free fees.you can still continue on to the masters year regardless of which one you do. It's competitive for places thou.think they had well over 100 last year for 30 places. That video will give u all the info about closing dates.

Advertisement