Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HIGHER DIPLOMA IN APPLIED SCIENCE (SOFTWARE DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT)(GYE12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

Kellzer wrote: »
    yeah that's right- .Net is the framework that supports a load of languages so it could be any of them that were using like you said. The reason that I assumed it would be C# is that it's an object oriented language which is what the course is geared towards (and where a lot of jobs seem to be) but C++ is considered to be an OO language too so maybe that's what they'll use. I'm not really sure cos the University website doesn't seem to have been updated properly for this year so I'm probably assuming too much saying that it will be C# primarily when it could be anything covered by .NET! I guess once we learn one language then we will pick others up easily enough so probably doesn't matter that much.

If it was C++ last year, then I'm not sure why they would change to C# if both are .NET and both are OOP. Unless there is some motivation based on jobs in the industry.

I'm just curious, as I already have the C++ textbook, and was planning on browsing through it over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kellzer

Yeah I see what you're saying with that. Think I assumed too much that it would be C# because that seems to be in big demand at the moment but could be any of them and you're right that it's likely to be the same as last year. I think learning the basics is the same for them all anyway in terms of learning the principles and logic and all that so it will all help no matter which one you do a bit of reading on. I'm working a bit with C# now in the same way to get a head start on some of the basics, but for the simple stuff I'm doing it really wouldn't matter if it was C or any other language I use cos I'm not doing any OO stuff anyway at this stage, just simple procedural programmes to learn the basic rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Taylor12

Caliden wrote: »
    If you're ready to put in the effort then it shouldn't be a problem. I came from civil engineering and it was tough at the start but if you put in the hours you should be fine.
    I found it so much more enjoyable and rewarding than anything I did in my 4 year civil course and now I'm in a job that I actually enjoy as opposed to one that I hated every second of.

When you have several assignments on the go you will find yourself waiting in college later (8-10pm) but I became friends with almost everyone in my course that way because everyone inevitably ends up waiting later.

A very belated thank you I was away and hadn't seen the post. Thanks for the reassurance I am willing to put in the work to get the rewards looking forward to getting started.

Cheers

Anyone know the start date for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

starWave wrote: »
    Anyone know the start date for this?

2nd September I'm guessing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

Yeah, it's the 2nd of September as far as I know. It's usually the first Monday of the month. I started on the 3rd last year. Good luck with it, it was a good course. Oh, and look out for the Computer Communications module. The classes were fine and after the exam everyone came out thinking that it went really well and then with the results there a few weeks ago it turned out that a lot of people have failed since he marked it really hard. So I would pay particular attention to that one. He reckons most people forgot to mention the keywords so they lost marks and some were given 0 marks despite having written a paragraph on the question.

Anyways, /rant. Good luck with the course whoever is going for it. It's a pretty good course and not too difficult to get a job after.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone (Previous students) done the 2 module options:
    • Artificial Intelligence
    • Human Computer Interaction
    Whats included in these modules?
    What is expected of students for these modules?
    Are they difficult modules in comparison to the others? (Write ups, projects, practicals etc)
    What to look out for and avoid?

All/any info on this appreciated.

Cheers ;)

Hi there,

I done the Artificial Intelligence option before. If you want a good grade in any subject I would highly recommend doing the Artificial Intellignece option. The lecturer (Conn Mulvihill) is very laid back and the class is quite easy to do very well in. Considering that I knew nothing about AI other than watching some films, it was still simple enough to follow and is useful for some of the programming/algorithms modules later on.

The stuff you would be covering would be some of the intelligence behind the Watson machine which played on the TV show Jeopardy! (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_%28computer%29), and some of the basic priciples behind traversing a maze. So in the example of a character in a game, they are given an algorithm with which they can get from the start to the end of a maze structure (you could always go left when possible, or use one of the existing algorithms like A*). You also learn stuff like breadth-first search, width-first search and best first search. You can look into them before hand but I think what you cover in the class will leave you with decent knowledge of the topics.

At the end of the semester you write a paper on one of the search algorithms and explain what it is, why you would use it, give some examples where it would suit, and compare to the other search algorithms. Or at least that's what it was when I done the course. For an example of how easy it was, I didn't hand up my paper in November when it was due and I got an email from the lecturer asking whether I had submitted it or not. So I submitted it again then, around March, and still got top marks in it. So the lecturer is very easy going and will explain anything you ask him.

As for Human Computer Interaction, I didn't do that module, but I know some friends who did and they weren't too gone on it. The lecturer they claimed was a bit harsh and difficult. The subject I think covers topics dealing with the best way to design a system to allow for ease of use by the intended end users. So designing something like MS Office applications, they way they have standarised the interface so that when you switch between applications it's not something completely different. You'd have to ask someone who done that subject though to know more.

The main thing I took from the optional subjects was that Graphics & Image Processing was difficult, AI was simple, HCI I wouldn't have done since the lecturer didn't seem approachable, Technical Writing is meant to be easy enough with a couple assignments throughout the semester, and the Research Methods may be useful if you intend on going into the Masters year after the H.Dip. I done the Research Methods, and while it was easy enough, all the work is on you and your partner for the project so things tended to be put on the back-burner until it got close to the deadline and then the work got done. It was still a decent subject for marks, but you do have to do a bit of literature reading into the topic you choose and make some informed decisions.

Hope all that helps. Let me know if there's anything else you would like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I did a different AI as part of my course, but Barti seems to cover the optional one well anyway so I'm just here to offer my opinion on HCI.

I did it as part of my undergraduate degree in Computer Science but it was the same module; we were in with the Dip guys and some final arts students for it.

The lecturer is a bit all over the place. Her lecturing style can be quite condescending (a bit like a teacher teaching 4 year olds or something); you're not really given the respect you deserve for the level you're at, I felt.

There were 2 projects when I did it; an individual one worth about 10% and a group one worth 15% or 20%; there was also an online forum that yyou got marks for participating in. The assignments were grand - the individual one was taking an existing music system (like iTunes, Media Player etc) and redesigning it so that it had better user interaction or something. You had to evaluate the drawbacks of the original too. The group project was to design a prototype of a system focusing on user interaction and ease of use. That was grand too.

The exam is where loads of people fell down. Firstly, she seemed to be a harsh marker; her definition is what she wants, not a paraphrased version of the same from the internet. Secondly, the exam was 2 hours long only, and it was very easy to keep waffling on about one part only to realise that you're nearly out of time for the remaining bits.

I did quite well in the end; got 75. It's not at all a technical subject, it's more about the waffle (if you want to design something, your reasoning has to be correct really, no matter what you say it's valid if you can back it up and refer to standards and principles of design etc). If you can't waffle, or prefer a question with a definite answer, I really wouldn't recommend it. The people who did better were the folks who could describe things well (i.e. people who were good at English and had an eye for design). If you want a fairer class, I'd go with AI. Had that lecturer for a few things over the years and he's fantastically fair as well as being a top guy. Always willing to help you out on any subject he can. Good for some Beckett quotes too, should you be into that kind of thing!

So in short - I'd avoid HCI given the choice in future. Has the potential to be a useful subject but is taught poorly.

Also, Barti mentioned Graphics and Image Proecessing too. Don't do this if you're expecting half and half - it's very much Graphics focused. It's also very difficult to grasp, even if you have coded before but especially if you haven't. It's a case of "now you know that 1+1=2, find the square root of the inverse log of tanx- the circumference of Mars divided by the half life of iron" in terms of the examples vs assignments. I found it to be so anyway. I also found it to be shabbily organised and delivered poorly. So I would steer clear of it also.

I hope there's something useful to be got from my inane ramblings!

Interesting feedback. What about the other options:

Interactive Media Technologies
    Cryptography
    Computational Physics
    Modelling I
    Modelling II
    Business Organisation
    Communication in Organisations
    User – Centered Design
    IT Strategy

What is Modelling I and Modelling II? The other are self explanatory.

• Advertisement

Barti wrote: »
    Hope all that helps. Let me know if there's anything else you would like to know.
    reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I hope there's something useful to be good from my inane ramblings!

Guys Thanks a million for such detailed feedback, much appreciated ;)
    Just wondering how many of the optional modules are you expected or recommend to do? Is it one per semester or....?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Just one option for the year

boardzz wrote: »
    Just one option for the year

Do you not have to do two options? The core modules only add up to 50 credits, and I think you need 60, and the options are only 5 each.

I guess there can be an advantage to do one in each semester, or do both in the first semester, and have extra time for projects in the second semester, depending on your outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Stephenius

Can others who did the course previously clarify how many options in total one has to do throughout the year?

Is the industry stream similar in terms of subject options + timetables?

Stephenius wrote: »

Also, Did anybody do the option algorithms and logical methods?

This is a core module according to the website. It is compulsory and not an option.

http://www.it.nuigalway.ie/programmes_hdip_applied_science.html

Thanks for that. Somehow I thought it was an option. I'm deleting that from previous post.
    If anyone can clarify how many options we have to do and if there are any differences with industry stream that would help.

It's one option you do. I've just completed the course.

The ECTS credits are supposed to add up to 60. Where's the missing 5?

Core modules

Computer Architecture and Operating Systems (5 ECTS)
    Computer Communication (5 ECTS)
    Algorithmics and Logical Methods (5 ECTS)
    Application Programming (10 ECTS)
    Internet Programming (5 ECTS)
    Databases (5 ECTS)
    Software Engineering Methods (10 ECTS)
    Software Design & Development Project (5 ECTS)

Options (subject to availability)

Graphics & Image Processing (5 ECTS)
    Interactive Media Technologies (5 ECTS)
    Artificial Intelligence (5 ECTS)
    Human Computer Interaction (5 ECTS)
    Technical Writing (5 ECTS)
    Cryptography (5 ECTS)
    Computational Physics (5 ECTS)
    Modelling I (5 ECTS)
    Modelling II (5 ECTS)
    Business Organisation (5 ECTS)
    Communication in Organisations (5 ECTS)
    User – Centered Design (5 ECTS)
    IT Strategy (5 ECTS)
    Research Project (5 ECTS)

Hi boardzz
    How did you find it overall, Did you enjoy the course?
    Is it difficult for someone with very little java programming experience?
    What did you find the most difficult parts/subjects?
    Are the job prospects good for graduates?

Any info/advice to share please do? :)

Thanks in advance ;)

starWave The ECTS credits are supposed to add up to 60. Where's the missing 5?

Attendance maybe??

• Advertisement

thisNthat wrote: »
    starWave The ECTS credits are supposed to add up to 60. Where's the missing 5?

Attendance maybe??

Maybe 5 for giving feedback and advice on boards

Hi,

I need to plan a few things ahead and I'm wondering how much information we will be given about exam dates etc.

How long of a break was there for Christmas?
    When did you get the dates for exams and are they fixed @ the start of September?
    Is there a mid-term break (after Christmas) ?
    Was there a break between end of year exams and start of the internship?

Thanks
    Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Hi,

I need to plan a few things ahead and I'm wondering how much information we will be given about exam dates etc.

When did you get the dates for exams and are they fixed @ the start of September?

Thanks
    Stephen

http://www.nuigalway.ie/academic_dates/documents/academic_dates_for_students_other_than_first_year_and_clinical_medical_students_2013_2014.pdf

This should help
    Don't know anything about the internship yet

Thanks but I wonder can this be relied on for our course. I might make an enquiry closer to the start date.

Tsipras wrote: »

There's an internship? Is that just for the industry stream?
    Thanks but I wonder can this be relied on for our course. I might make an enquiry closer to the start date.

I'd guess yes. The exams would have to be on the same time as other exams. And the lecturers probably want to finish all the lectures at the same time.

maybe we should make a separate thread for the industry stream

There is a "work placement" for the industry stream but I don't know for the other course.

Interactive Media Technologies
    Cryptography
    Computational Physics
    Modelling I
    Modelling II
    Business Organisation
    Communication in Organisations
    User – Centered Design
    IT Strategy

What is Modelling I and Modelling II? The other are self explanatory.

I believe Modelling is to do with representing data graphically using algorithms and stuff like that. So perhaps trend graphs, probabilistic models, etc. See this pdf of one of the exam papers to see what sort of things would be covered https://www.mis.nuigalway.ie/papers_public/2012_2013/AM/2012_2013_MP305_1_1_5.PDF

As for the other subjects, I never done them, but I could find links to the exam papers if you want. It's usually best to sample the subjects at the start to get an idea of what they're about and then choose.
    The ECTS credits are supposed to add up to 60. Where's the missing 5?

The missing 5 credits are part of the Application Programming module I believe. In first semester you would have Application Programming I which is 5 ECTS, second semester is then Application Programming II which has 10 ECTS. Unless they have changed the structure this year, but that's how it was for me.

The internship is just for the Industry Stream group. They'll have already done the interview for getting a place on the course so the company they will be working for has likely chosen them and they will probably find out soon enough if they haven't already. The normal stream group don't get any work placement or internship out of the course. There may be emails throughout the year from the course supervisors mentioning some random internship available for anyone to sign up to or a poster on the notice boards for open internships, but there isn't anything set up for the standard stream group. It's all on themselves to get some work once the course is completed.
    Can others who did the course previously clarify how many options in total one has to do throughout the year?

Is the industry stream similar in terms of subject options + timetables?

It is only one optional module for the entire year, yeah. All I can tell you about the Industry Stream is that their second semester programming is focused on one programming language specific to the company they will be working for while the normal stream do a couple different languages. They also finish up the Software Engineering Methods in semester 1 and do another module for second semester. Not entirely sure what it is, so you'd have to find someone who done the Industry Stream to ask about the specifics.
    thisNthat wrote: »
    Is it difficult for someone with very little java programming experience?

Are the job prospects good for graduates?

I would say that it's not too bad once you keep up to date with the material covered. It can easily overwhelm you if you don't keep on top of things as the programming can move at a fairly fast pace. As for job prospects, there are definitely jobs out there once you finish the course. I found work for the summer in Galway easily enough and they have offered a full-time job out of it. I've also had job offers from abroad, like Amsterdam and the USA so it's not too difficult to find a job once you start applying to a few places.
    Hi,

Thanks
    Stephen

The pdf linked to you (http://www.nuigalway.ie/academic_dates/documents/academic_dates_for_students_other_than_first_year_and_clinical_medical_students_2013_2014.pdf)
    has all the information needed about holidays. Those are pretty much set in stone from now. An exam or two may change time/location/date nearer the exams but usually they stay the same. The lecturers/college will tell you when the exam timetables are up for viewing. As for the break between the exams and internship, I think there may have been a week or two, but not much time. You can ask whoever supervises the Industry Stream course about that.

Right, I hope that covers everything for everyone over the past week since I was last here. Good luck all.

Here is what we got from the course coordinator on the first week.

Here is the timetable for semester one.

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply.

Advertisement