Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kimmage seeks criminal investigation into Vebruggen/McQuaid - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I think watching Mcquaid getting booed presenting medals at the UCI RR at the weekend was better!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Oh dear the UCI has done it this time. Through the donations option to help Paul Kimmage the fans finally have the opportunity to show their displeasure.

This whole rotting house is about to come falling down around the UCI and they haven't got the sense to get out before it does, they're still inside shouting down everyone who tells them to get out.

This when it hits is gonna be the scandal to end all scandals in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Oh dear the UCI has done it this time. Through the donations option to help Paul Kimmage the fans finally have the opportunity to show their displeasure.

This whole rotting house is about to come falling down around the UCI and they haven't got the sense to get out before it does, they're still inside shouting down everyone who tells them to get out.

This when it hits is gonna be the scandal to end all scandals in sport.

There may only be a little distinction, but strictly speaking (as I understand it, anyhow) its not the UCI that are suing Kimmage, but rather its Verbruggen and his puppet doing so.......

One wonders at the collateral damage these guys are effectively causing the UCI itself? They are so intricately interconnected that any backlash against the duo is effectively going to be severe on the organisation..........I wonder if the management committee of the UCI is in any position to move against its current and past presidents, should things get sticky?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    There may only be a little distinction, but strictly speaking (as I understand it, anyhow) its not the UCI that are suing Kimmage, but rather its Verbruggen and his puppet doing so.......

There are 3 seperate parties suing Kimmage. The UCI as well as McQuaid and Verbruggen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

RobFowl wrote: »
    There are 3 seperate parties suing Kimmage. The UCI as well as McQuaid and Verbruggen.

Really? Everywhere I've read says McQ and Verbruggen for 8,000 Swiss francs each.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

buffalo wrote: »
    Really? Everywhere I've read says McQ and Verbruggen for 8,000 Swiss francs each.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kimmage-receives-uci-subpoena

Paul Kimmage has received a subpoena from the Swiss district court that will hear the defamation proceedings instigated against him by current UCI president Pat McQuaid, his predecessor Hein Verbruggen and the UCI itself.

I stand corrected..........a plague on all their houses, in that case.

Janey, I'm wrong all over the place today. I hate to see my organisation being used like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I understand from reading about the case that PK is looking forward to his day in court. What I do not understand is what sanction could apply if he was to choose not to cooperate with the subpoena and appear.

The alleged defense was committed in the UK and PK lives in Ireland. One could presumably decide to wipe ones backside with the summons given that one would hardly be extradited.

In any case the ****storm building against tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber is building momentum. I cannot see McQuaid surviving this. Surely the stakeholders - teams, race organisers, sponsors are saying drop this.

Although at this stage it would be disappointing not to give PK his day in court.

Will this be televised :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

ROK ON wrote: »
    In any case the ****storm building against tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber is building momentum. I cannot see McQuaid surviving this. Surely the stakeholders - teams, race organisers, sponsors are saying drop this.

Although at this stage it would be disappointing not to give PK his day in court.

Will this be televised :-)

Not to be dramatic, but if this is televised I hope it goes down something like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrdFFCnYtbk

With mr. Kimmage playing the role of Galloway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I would like to see thousands of cyclists with their bikes cheer Paul Kimmage into the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

This is nothing if not entertaining:
    Check out Kimmage's latest tweets:

Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage
    David, good news, found a real pitbull of a lawyer to go after those two ****ers.

Ooops, sorry that was supposed to be a private message to @DavidWalshST

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Then Toby Moody:

@PaulKimmage: Never in writing. Phone.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Ooops, sorry that was supposed to be a private message to @DavidWalshST
    Ooops, I accidentally on purpose told the world and his wife that I'm spoiling for a fight. Silly, silly me.

(If he has found a pitbull, he might want a rethink for a case like this. OTOH, if he's found a Swiss media lawyer well practised in the subtle arts, then this is fiendishly clever.)

His tweets this afternoon have been a bit strange, TBH. It comes across a bit childish to be slagging off his adversaries on social media, esp as they are unlikely to bother reading it, so its for our attention, really.He might be better advised to rise above it, tempting (and entertaining) as it is.

Maybe he is just having a bit of fun getting this off his chest in public?

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    His tweets this afternoon have been a bit strange, TBH. It comes across a bit childish to be slagging off his adversaries on social media, esp as they are unlikely to bother reading it, so its for our attention, really.He might be better advised to rise above it, tempting (and entertaining) as it is.

Maybe he is just having a bit of fun getting this off his chest in public?

Perhaps his ego has been boosted a step too far by the defence fund? Or is this publicity to draw more attention to his cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

In all of this ridiculous episode, Paul Kimmage is the last person I'd be calling childish. He has no problem saying these things on radio etc so I don't think he'd be too worried if his tweet really was accidental.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

kincsem wrote: »
    I would like to see thousands of cyclists with their bikes cheer Paul Kimmage into the court.
    So are you going to start an appeal for funds to send a Boards.ie Cycling Forum delegation over (obviously only Sports Cyclists, and not Commuters invited)?

Maybe we can get Kimmage to chip-in...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

Hope he gets enough to hire Johnnie Cochran

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Hopefully this case goes ahead...the more publicity for PK the better. He's one of our own.
    Can we put forward a motion to make Paul Kimmage UCI president? Seems like the ultimate (and obvious) solution to all these issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

slo rida, you might have missed it but Mc Quaid is one of our own too represented ireland at the very top level, good professional rider and brought the best cyclists in the world to Ireland to be viewed by the Irish public and promote cycling... I presume you are talking about Paul being Irish?
    Sad to see them at odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

... but Mc Quaid is one of our own too...

Maybe he means PK is one of our own in the sense that he's not a shytebag, unlike Paddy mack (for reasons why, please see posts above by others).

Plus, since McQuaid is sueing PK under Swiss law I now view him as one of those cuckoo clock wielding, toblerone-eating clowns.

And yes, I've chipped in and hope dearly that PK will tear Pinky and the Brain a new one each.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

honkjelly wrote: »
    Hope he gets enough to hire Johnnie Cochran

I'm not sure if the fund will get big enough to hire both a lawyer & a necromancer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭happytramp

fishfoodie wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the fund will get big enough to hire both a lawyer & a necromancer :D

I may be able to help. I used to be a level 17 Necromancer in advanced D+D.

happytramp wrote: »
    I used to be a level 17 Necromancer in advanced D+D.

I'm sure the women were fallling over themselves ;)

http://www.atwistedspoke.com/raleigh-to-introduce-kimmage-road-bike/
    Irish bicycle company Raleigh plans to launch a Kimmage road bike for the Spring of 2013.

...Raleigh has rushed development so production model Rough Riders are available for Kimmage and his legal team to ride to his trial.

“Paul wants to do it, I mean how cool would that be, showing up with $50,000 grand in your pocket and your legal team on Kimmage bikes?” said Fakely. “McQuaid would **** his pants.”

Fantastic!

The result of the action taken against Landis (almost identical to the one against PK) was released. They found in favour of McQuaid/Verbruggen by default...

Quoted verbattim ....

forbids Floyd Landis to state that the Union Cycliste Internationale, Patrick (Pat)
    McQuaid and/or Henricus (Hein) Verbruggen have concealed cases of doping, received
    money for doing so, have accepted money from Lance Armstrong to conceal a doping
    case, have protected certain racing cyclists, concealed cases of doping, have engaged in
    manipulation, particularly of tests and races, have hesitated and delayed publishing the
    results of a positive test on Alberto Contador, have accepted bribes, are corrupt, are
    terrorists, have no regard for the rules, load the dice, are fools, do not have a genuine
    desire to restore discipline to cycling, are full of sh*t, are clowns, their words are
    worthless, are liars, are no different to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, or to make any
    similar other allegations of that kind;

So there you go....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RobFowl wrote: »
    The result of the action taken against Landis (almost identical to the one against PK) was released. They found in favour of McQuaid/Verbruggen by default

...because Landis didn't appear to contest it, presumably?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

Lumen wrote: »

Must be guilty, then.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »

Hence the "by default" bit :rolleyes:

Advertisement