Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kimmage seeks criminal investigation into Vebruggen/McQuaid - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

morana wrote: »
    Kimmage was an excellent rider if we had a number of his ability we would be certainly better off. He was 6th in the amateur worlds iirc. If we get a sixth this week it will be a great achievement.

Sixth in the world on a punctured tyre! And the amateur worlds was a tougher bike race to get up in than the U23 worlds is now with all the iron curtain 'pros'.
    There are sportives/charity bike rides in the names of Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche and Martin Earley but none, as yet, for Paul Kimmage.
    He was a class rider and has achieved so much more for the sport as a journalist.
    Time for a "Paul Kimmage Tour of North Dublin and Meath."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/verbruggen-wont-take-legal-action-against-hamilton

Hilarious follow-up. How not to make yourself look good to the cycling public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

buffalo wrote: »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/verbruggen-wont-take-legal-action-against-hamilton

Hilarious follow-up. How not to make yourself look good to the cycling public.

Its kind of sad to see this old man make a fool of himself. One wonders at how the day in court will go if he has to provide a testimony - I bet UCI laywers will do their upmost to ensure he doesn't have to.

If Pat McQuaid is half the politician he reckons that he is, I think he'll be preparing a Plan B ......... ensuring that if the case flames Verbruggen, that he (McQuaid) manages to escape the collateral damage that will ensue - its going to be interesting to watch this develop. I've a feeling that its far from certain that it will even go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

Michael Ashenden's letter of support to Paul in NY Velocity is at http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/2012/paul-kimmage-defense-fund

Mods, it's worth reading in full:

Dear Paul,

I was shocked to read today that you have received a subpoena related to defamation proceedings brought against you by Pat McQuaid, Hein Verbruggen and the UCI itself.

It is not clear to me what the basis for the proceeding is; to the best of my knowledge it has not been publicly disclosed. Regardless, I find it deeply disturbing that, amidst the current turmoil surrounding cycling, you have been singled out.

I do not believe that court is the appropriate remedy in the current circumstances. For example, I don’t expect that WADA will sue him after Pat McQuaid claimed that WADA had launched a ‘15-year long political campaign against cycling’. Although his comments certainly do not reflect well on WADA’s integrity, to their credit WADA have shown admirable restraint.

I sincerely hope that after a period of reflection the UCI will adopt a similar attitude regarding your comments too.

Nonetheless, today I have had a change of heart. Earlier this year one of the UCI’s Passport cases that I had worked on as a member of their expert panel had to be dropped after we had received the rider’s explanation and us group of three experts could not reach a consensus decision. At the time, I chose not to invoice the UCI for the hours and hours which I had spent working on that case since October 2011. However, your subpoena gave me pause to reflect, and I have decided to invoice the UCI a token amount of 260 Euro (two hours at our expert rate) for my contributions on that case. I have simultaneously deposited that amount into your defense fund.

I sincerely hope you are not required to pay a fine. However in case you are, I hope it is some solace that to some degree you would be merely handing the UCI’s own money back to them.

Please keep up your good work – The Times They Are a-Changin’.

Best wishes,

Mike Ashenden

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Kimmage should get Grey Manrod Associates to represent him.
    http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/2011/landis-emails

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

gave 20 quid there. Almost 4 grand in 24 hours. Impressive. Hopefully it keeps rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

elduggo wrote: »
    gave 20 quid there. Almost 4 grand in 24 hours. Impressive. Hopefully it keeps rising.

That will just about cover the hotel bill in Vevey. Better take a packed breakfast, though.

Crazy boy Floyd - crazy funny comic genius

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Mr Dite****,

I am in tears laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Signed

Some interesting signatures and comments already - including Daniel Benson, Susan Westermeyer and the Cycling News staff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

That will just about cover the hotel bill in Vevey. Better take a packed breakfast, though.

He can kip at mine! Every penny counts!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

RobFowl wrote: »

Signed with a missspelled name fecking phone

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Have been reading the thread plus the links in shock. Beyond the disbelief that UCI are suing Kimmage is my disbelive in the bullying arrogance of UCI past and current members. What hope now for any Pro whistleblowing as they have more or less indicated they will sue?

What is also amazing to me is the information spilling out on the sides. I have seldom engaged in the Armstrong doping debate seeing it as a side show, as I long suspected that his links with UCI made him untouchable.

Ultimately the questions needed to go 'upstairs'. Paul Kimmage decided to move these questions to where they should rightfully be put.

What a mess and what a sad day for cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Morana how would we get a request raised at the Cycling Ireland AGM ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

David Millar ‏@millarmind UCI = SHAMEFUL. They continue to sue Kimmage which is disgusting and Verbruggen speaks out proving he must have nothing to do with cycling.

Junior wrote: »
    Morana how would we get a request raised at the Cycling Ireland AGM ?

Details here Junior

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home/News/CI-AGM-First-Notice.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Had a read of that .. it only says

General administrative motions can be sent to the Cycling Ireland Office to be received by 1700 hours on 05th October 2012.

Is there a form to be completed ? Can anyone raise a motion etc ?

• Advertisement

General administrative motions can be sent to the Cycling Ireland Office to be received by 1700 hours on 05th October 2012.

I think motions have to come from a club (but open to correction). Might be best to contact the CI office directly and get clarity.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think motions have to come from a club (but open to correction). Might be best to contact the CI office directly and get clarity.
    Just checked the Memorandum & Articles - it's the clubs that get the votes, and by implication they (and the Board) would get to propose the resolutions - that's what has happened in prior years also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

The motions have to be submitted by 5th October. As far as I know it comes from a club and has to be sent to CI office. So put your motion down and submit it. I will check the exact regs and get back to you.

Motions usually are used to change rules and Technical Regulations. This one doesnt fall into that category soI dont know if that wuold be accepted. Worth a shot though

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

morana wrote: »
    Motions usually are used to change rules and Technical Regulations. This one doesnt fall into that category soI dont know if that wuold be accepted. Worth a shot though
    It's an AGM, and I would have thought it should be standard practice to allow the voting members to propose what could be in effect a "No confidence" motion in McQuaid. That's pretty much how members organisations (and indeed corporates) work.

What CI does with it though would be a different matter and would depend on the wording of the motion. I guess it could be the prompt for CI to put a no confidence motion in McQuaid to the equivalent UCI meeting (on the assumption that the UCI works in a similar way with the national federations being allowed to propose motions)

It would be quite interesting to see what empowers a club to propose such a resolution in the first place - ie would their Committee have the power to do this, or would they need to call their own EGM to get the votes of their own members. If the latter, the notices of meetings required would make it virtually impossible to get something in time for the CI AGM

Beasty wrote: »
    It's an AGM, and I would have thought it should be standard practice to allow the voting members to propose what could be in effect a "No confidence" motion in McQuaid. That's pretty much how members organisations (and indeed corporates) work.

What CI does with it though would be a different matter and would depend on the wording of the motion. I guess it could be the prompt for CI to put a no confidence motion in McQuaid to the equivalent UCI meeting (on the assumption that the UCI works in a similar way with the national federations being allowed to propose motions)

It would be quite interesting to see what empowers a club to propose such a resolution in the first place - ie would their Committee have the power to do this, or would they need to call their own EGM to get the votes of their own members. If the latter, the notices of meetings required would make it virtually impossible to get something in time for the CI AGM

No it can come from the club thru the officers of the club. I think it would be fair enough for the members to put a vote of no confidence in me for example who is a serving board member however for somebody who is in effect is not an employee or a serving director I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

I am looking at the UCI's Constitution: http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI2/layout.asp?MenuId=MTkzNg&LangId=1

Article 29 says that Congress has the power to dismiss members of the Management Committee, which includes the President.

Article 31 says:
    Article 31
    1. The agenda of the Congress shall be drawn up by the Management Committee.
    2. A federation wishing to include one or more items in the agenda of the Congress, or to put a
    question to the Management Committee, shall submit its draft proposals stating the reasons on
    which they are based or the text of its question, in English or in French, to the registered office
    of the UCI at least ninety days before the date of the Congress.
    3. With the exception of alterations to the Constitution, any question not on the agenda of the
    Congress can be added to be discussed and voted on by the Congress at the request of fifteen
    federations.
    4. Except in cases where the preceding point applies, no vote shall be taken on any question
    which is not on the agenda.

So from CI's point of view, what you would need is a resolution mandating its representative at Congress to:
    (a) propose a motion to dismiss McQuaid from the Management Committee, for reasons ABCDEF, in accordance with Article 31 of the UCI Constitution;
    (b) vote in favour of any motion of another federation to dismiss McQuaid;
    (c) if time is too short, to solicit support from other federations to change the agenda so as to add a motion to dismiss McQuaid, or to support any such change proposed by another federation.

I am looking at the UCI's Constitution: http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI2/layout.asp?MenuId=MTkzNg&LangId=1

Article 29 says that Congress has the power to dismiss members of the Management Committee, which includes the President.

Article 31 says:

So from CI's point of view, what you would need is a resolution mandating its representative at Congress to:
    (a) propose a motion to dismiss McQuaid from the Management Committee, for reasons ABCDEF, in accordance with Article 31 of the UCI Constitution;
    (b) vote in favour of any motion of another federation to dismiss McQuaid;
    (c) if time is too short, to solicit support from other federations to change the agenda so as to add a motion to dismiss McQuaid, or to support any such change proposed by another federation.

congress was today I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Does anyone know if McQuaid was asked about Kimmage being sued at today's press conference?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2012/0922/1224324288708.html

Edit: yes he was - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-reluctant-to-elaborate-on-kimmage-case

Surinam wrote: »
    Does anyone know if McQuaid was asked about Kimmage being sued at today's press conference?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2012/0922/1224324288708.html

Dont think so. Watch his hand-wringing here though, classic body language...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

^^You're right about the body language, that's one stressed man! I really hope he gets the boot in the near future.

Advertisement