Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kimmage seeks criminal investigation into Vebruggen/McQuaid - Mod Warning Post #1

Options
  • 20-09-2012 3:04pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anti-doping journalist sued by cycling’s governing body
    Although USADA’s reasoned judgement on the Lance Armstrong case will shortly be delivered to the UCI and WADA and is expected to include serious claims about a 2001 doping positive, the UCI is pressing ahead with a legal action against anti-doping journalist Paul Kimmage.
    Mod Warning
    Please see This post

Beasty wrote: »
    Although it's fair to discuss Pat McQuaid and his actions, his family are not party to this legal action and are off-topic in this thread. The fact that a family member has posted does not mean that poster or other members of the family should be discussed

In addition, speculation over the activities of Pat McQuaid, the UCI or anyone else is not permitted. If you cannot back up your assertions with publicly available evidence, then don't post them here.

I shall repeat this warning in the OP so no-one can claim to have missed it

Thanks

Beasty

Further mod comment - title changed following the suspension of the UCI action against Kimmage and Kimmage requesting a criminal investigation into Vebruggen/McQuaid - see posts 262 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

heh, I have a window open for starting a new thread with the exact same VN link.

I'm half-looking forward to this, just to see Kimmage vs UCI in court. Will this end McQuaid and Verbruggen? Will the LA evidence be released before the case is heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Once again UCI shows how ridiculous they are.
    The newspaper stated that they told the Swiss District Court that Kimmage has caused them ‘annoyance’ and that their ‘reputation has been seriously damaged’ by articles.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12904/UCI-court-action-sees-Kimmage-summoned-to-appear-before-Swiss-court-in-December.aspx#ixzz271E72zho

Yes the articles are the reason that the reputation is damaged :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I think this is disgraceful behavior by the UCI. Paul Kimmage was a continental pro for RMO and Fagor. He finished the Tour de France, the Giro d'Italia and is an ex Irish national champion.
    He has long fought to highlight cheats and dopers at great personal cost. This action is IMO frivolous and completely unessecary.
    I'm not sure what is the best way to put pressure on the UCI to drop it and would welcome any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RobFowl wrote: »
    I'm not sure what is the best way to put pressure on the UCI to drop it and would welcome any suggestions.

CI members vote for CI to cancel membership of the UCI?

What would be the practical consequences of this for top-level racing in Ireland?

Better idea: sue UCI for bring Cycling Ireland into disrepute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

One better: I'll sue UCI for bringing cycling and by proxy cyclists (including myself) into disrepute. All those jokes about doping are having an emotional strain on me..cough cough.

I am afraid to take my cleared Diabetes meds when I am out on the bike nowadays for fear of being lambasted as a cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Vindictive, pompous, arrogant bullies. These guys are supposed to run the sport, how they are tolerated is beyond me. This may be naive but can someone tell me why the cycling world puts up with them, they are poisonous to the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

hmmm 6.6 grand to publicly defame a UCI official. Anyone wanna go halfsies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Signed petition to Cycling Ireland asking for an official letter of dissaproval on UCI's actions? Not sure what we can achieve with this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Signed petition to Cycling Ireland asking for an official letter of dissaproval on UCI's actions? Not sure what we can achieve with this though.

Did you see the petition in The Clinic for McQ to resign?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Where is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

A motion at the CI AGM.

Support for PK

Suspension of McQuaid by CI.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    CI members vote for CI to cancel membership of the UCI?

What would be the practical consequences of this for top-level racing in Ireland?
    Don't worry about it, the IVCA is not affiliated to the UCI:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

ROK ON wrote: »
    A motion at the CI AGM.

Support for PK

The best way to support Kimmage will be for cyclists everywhere to contribute to a fund to assist him in defending this case. I somehow doubt Paul Kimmage is quaking in his shoes at the thought of having to go to Switzerland to defend himself, but on a practical level we can all assist by offering a few €uro to a defense fund - I'm in no doubt that one will be set up.

If it was large enough, I'm sure it would be useful in getting whoever he needs over to Switzerland as a defense witness, or whatever other measures are needed to show up Verbruggen in particular - though McQuaid is a belligerent in this too.

EDIT: That didn't take long. http://www.cyclismas.com/2012/09/paul-kimmage-defense-fund/

Come on anyone who believes in Kimmage and his efforts to rid cycling of the scourge of drug cheats.......chip in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    The best way to support Kimmage will be for cyclists everywhere to contribute to a fund to assist him in defending this case. I somehow doubt Paul Kimmage is quaking in his shoes at the thought of having to go to Switzerland to defend himself, but on a practical level we can all assist by offering a few €uro to a defense fund - I'm in no doubt that one will be set up.

And pow! http://www.cyclismas.com/2012/09/paul-kimmage-defense-fund/

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

I think this is disgraceful behavior by the UCI. Paul Kimmage was a continental pro for RMO and Fagor. He finished the Tour de France, the Giro d'Italia and is an ex Irish national champion.
    He has long fought to highlight cheats and dopers at great personal cost. This action is IMO frivolous and completely unessecary.

He only lasted 3 years as a pro so lets face it, he couldn't cut it with the big boys. That he blames this on everyone else being doped up to the gills is evident in his writing but to me his repetitive covering of old ground year after year has always smacked of bitterness.

I doubt he would want to see this dropped as I'm sure he would relish the chance to stand in an open court and condemn Armstrong without being interrupted or shouted down, especially with the USADA findings to back him up.

Ironically this case could effectively lead to the public trial of USADA's evidence, a trial which Lance didn't want and cunningly avoided by not fighting it himself. He is definitely not going to want this going ahead when he cops on to the fact that it will be all about him and it will get big publicity - therefore Armstrong will probably be the one to get UCI to drop it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Limestone1 wrote: »
    He only lasted 3 years as a pro so lets face it, he couldn't cut it with the big boys

It was 4 years as a pro 86,87,88 and 89.
    He was the first to admit he wasn't able to compete with the best but to even finish the Tour and Giro takes a fair bit of dedication and talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

He only lasted 3 years as a pro so lets face it, he couldn't cut it with the big boys. That he blames this on everyone else being doped up to the gills is evident in his writing but to me his repetitive covering of old ground year after year has always smacked of bitterness.

I doubt he would want to see this dropped as I'm sure he would relish the chance to stand in an open court and condemn Armstrong without being interrupted or shouted down, especially with the USADA findings to back him up.

Ironically this case could effectively lead to the public trial of USADA's evidence, a trial which Lance didn't want and cunningly avoided by not fighting it himself. He is definitely not going to want this going ahead when he cops on to the fact that it will be all about him and it will get big publicity - therefore Armstrong will probably be the one to get UCI to drop it.

R u for real if nothing has recent past not showed that Kimmage has every right to be bitter, they were all doped up and he got shafted for trying to do the right thing. How can some people still not accept cyclings recent past is rotten and it only has a future due to people like Kimmage, he being bitter or not is irrelevant, the facts now stand for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Has there ever been a sport which dumped its governing body? It really rankles me that I might actually be funding these UCI people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If you actually read his book you would see that he was always honest in regards to his talent compared to that of Roche or Lemond. In fact at times he was fawning of Roche. He was also honest about how lazy he was in regards to training and diet.

Do the UCI really, really want Kimmage in court with all that ripe USADA evidence waiting to be unpacked? I guess Pat's vanity says yes, so bring it on!

ROK ON wrote: »
    A motion at the CI AGM.

Support for PK

Why not something along these lines? Seriously, some kind of stand should be taken against shameless, petty bullying like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Kimmage was an excellent rider if we had a number of his ability we would be certainly better off. He was 6th in the amateur worlds iirc. If we get a sixth this week it will be a great achievement.

One thing I did notice on a TV program about him last year he had a huge poster of Kelly on his wall, I didnt expect that.

morana wrote: »
    One thing I did notice on a TV program about him last year he had a huge poster of Kelly on his wall, I didnt expect that.

Many dart holes? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

buffalo wrote: »

Already, a total of nearly $2500 has been lodged in this fund.......

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

> $3.2k Dig deep folks. It's worth it to get fatso in the stand under oath to answer a few questions himself !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...but to me his repetitive covering of old ground year after year has always smacked of bitterness...
    Or the fact that the sport is still rife with doping!

For one thing it would establish CI's commitment to clean sport (or not).

Genealogy Forum Mod

fishfoodie wrote: »
    > $3.2k Dig deep folks. It's worth it to get fatso in the stand under oath to answer a few questions himself !

If there's any excess they should donate it to cancer research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I live near Aigle at the moment, I will pop into UCI HQ's and gently persuade Pat to drop the case!

Advertisement