Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitch Invasion - What you think of it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

jordainius wrote: »
    So, you're saying a pitch invasion by up to half the euphoric and overjoyed fans in a full to 84000 capacity stadium is a possibility at say an all ireland qualifier or an Ulster semi final or a Leinster quarter final?

So you are now saying that 42,000 drunken yahoos and scotes invade the pitch on All Ireland Day?

Two can play the silly semantics game. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Happyman42 wrote: »
    So you are now saying that 42,000 drunken yahoos and scotes invade the pitch on All Ireland Day?

Two can play the silly semantics game. :rolleyes:

Are you blind?

Admit that you are a liar, or admit that you are blind, or please point to where I said "drunken yahoos" or "scrotes"?

This isn't semantics either, you just make stuff up as you go along and consistently fail to respond to questions and statements which disprove your nonsense.

I ask valid questions, you attempt to misinterpret what others say or just ignore what they say when you don't have a reasonable response (i.e. when those people are right and you find yourself unwilling to concede.)

jordainius wrote: »
    Are you blind?

Admit that you are a liar, or admit that you are blind, or please point to where I said "drunken yahoos" or "scrotes"?

This isn't semantics either, you just make stuff up as you go along and consistently fail to respond to questions and statements which disprove your nonsense.

I ask valid questions, you attempt to misinterpret what others say or just ignore what they say when you don't have a reasonable response (i.e. when those people are right and you find yourself unwilling to concede.)

I'm a liar.
    You only said 42,000 people invade the pitch. It was others who also hysterically exagerated for effect, by saying they where scotes and yahoos.

You'll have to point out what I have ignored or refused to answer.
    In the meantime, maybe you can finally tell us all how the GAA ensure player and fan safety when crowds gather throughout the organisation?
    That would disprove my theory that this particular move was not about fan and player safety, would it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭False Prophet

celt262 wrote: »
    Without trawling through the last few pages are people still in favour of a stampede fans celebrate on the field after all-ireland finals?
    Made a slight change to your comment there! But Yes im still in favour and probably always will be (the same way that it is clear that people are against it for different valid/invalid reasons).
    What would change my mind is
    (1)
    if they did an actual vote of the county players rather than hearsay/GPA and the players were against finding ways to bring back the old way(we all know players that want the old system or like the new system seemly)
    (2) They move the presentation onto the pitch(had to laugh at some people comments that the could watch the presentation on the big screen which kind of defeats the purpose of being there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

had to laugh at some people comments that the could watch the presentation on the big screen which kind of defeats the purpose of being there

thing is, if they did that, there would be another 10-20 page argument here about it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

had to laugh at some people comments that the could watch the presentation on the big screen which kind of defeats the purpose of being there

I think it would be better to present it on the pitch, as everyone gets to see it properly.
    thing is, if they did that, there would be another 10-20 page argument here about it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Bring it back for the All-Irelands!

Bring it back for the All-Irelands!

Totally agree, the baby was thrown out with the dirty H&S bathwater. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

They look terrific. I was on City End Terrace just below the scoreboard for the Munster final and it was spectacular seeing supporters running on to the pitch from every corner.

However, somebody will eventually get seriously injured or killed in one (perhaps even a player who has to endure being swamped by numerous people after 70 hard minutes of playing GAA). And is it worth that? No, it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,775 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They look terrific. I was on City End Terrace just below the scoreboard for the Munster final and it was spectacular seeing supporters running on to the pitch from every corner.

However, somebody will eventually get seriously injured or killed in one (perhaps even a player who has to endure being swamped by numerous people after 70 hard minutes of playing GAA). And is it worth that? No, it is not.

True, I mean like think off all the spectators and players that died over the years like.

Shocking stuff, shocking altogether .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The answer was always to stagger the release of supporters onto the pitch, not stop it altogether. Some of the best moments of my life were running onto the pitch in the Hyde in 2001 and McHale in 2010. Even though I was deliriously happy to see Brigids win the AI this year you could tell both the players and fans would have preferred being together. A real pity our greatest stadium is one of our only venues to view some of the best behaved supporters in the world as a threat.

listermint wrote: »
    True, I mean like think off all the spectators and players that died over the years like.

Provention is better than a cure.
    I have never crashed my car, does that mean I will never crash it in the future?

I have never crashed my car, does that mean I will never crash it in the future?

Don't play the match at all in that case.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Don't play the match at all in that case.

what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

It was interesting to listen to (whom I'm sure was) Dirmuid O'Sullivan and co. speaking about it on Newstalk yesterday. They made the point that pitch invasions are unfair to the losing team who are often stranded on the field for up to 20 minutes following the conclusion of a game. What's more, they mentioned several cases where players of the losing side who were still on the field following the invasion often received the odd kick or punch from the invading (and energised) supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

it is safe to say the incidents on the pitch post the meathv louth leinster final are enough to not allow or deter pitch invasions.

listermint wrote: »

Yeah, and it is that kind of attitude that resulted in Hillsborough. People said "Sure, look, nothing has ever happened so it's not going to happen". :rolleyes: My point was that there could be a serious incident with a pitch invasion - is it really worth running that risk? Just because nothing serious has happened in the past does not meane it wont happen in the future.

The GAA had some figures a couple of years back about the amount of claims there were from injuries arising from pitch invasions. I was fairly shocked at the figure but cant remember it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ban driving altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yeah, and it is that kind of attitude that resulted in Hillsborough. People said "Sure, look, nothing has ever happened so it's not going to happen". :rolleyes:
    What an ignorant statement! Over 50 years of pitch invasions in the GAA and not one serious injury. Hillsborough resulted in over-crowding. It did not result, in any way, shape or form, from a pitch invasion. Over-crowding in this day and age does not happen.

You could blame Michael Hogan's death on pitch invasions using that logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If fact, if people were able to pitch invade, those deaths at Hillsborough probably wouldn't have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 piplin

macgrub wrote: »
    It was interesting to listen to (whom I'm sure was) Dirmuid O'Sullivan and co. speaking about it on Newstalk yesterday. They made the point that pitch invasions are unfair to the losing team who are often stranded on the field for up to 20 minutes following the conclusion of a game. What's more, they mentioned several cases where players of the losing side who were still on the field following the invasion often received the odd kick or punch from the invading (and energised) supporters.

What would you expect from a crybaba? O'Sullivan with his big sour sore loser king size head. He'd be more in line to keep his big trap shut than giving out about pitch invasions. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and it is that kind of attitude that resulted in Hillsborough. People said "Sure, look, nothing has ever happened so it's not going to happen". :rolleyes: My point was that there could be a serious incident with a pitch invasion - is it really worth running that risk? Just because nothing serious has happened in the past does not meane it wont happen in the future.

The GAA had some figures a couple of years back about the amount of claims there were from injuries arising from pitch invasions. I was fairly shocked at the figure but cant remember it now.

Be quiet now sonny. I've read enough fanny twaddle from you. Zip it.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

piplin wrote: »
    What would you expect from a crybaba? O'Sullivan with his big sour sore loser king size head. He'd be more in line to keep his big trap shut than giving out about pitch invasions. :rolleyes:

I think players should be allowed have a say on the matter.

As a former player, O'Sullivan has the right to voice an opinion. But sure, I'll tell you what, when you show me a video of you scoring a point from around 90 yards, you will then earn the authority to voice your opinion.
    Until then, zip it. :P

:rolleyes:
    macgrub wrote: »
    I think players should be allowed have a say on the matter.

As a former player, O'Sullivan has the right to voice an opinion. But sure, I'll tell you what, when you show me a video of you scoring a point from around 90 yards, you will then earn the authority to voice your opinion.
    Until then, zip it. :P

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My tuppence worth, I don't think H & S really comes into it. IMHO its just immature behaviour. I expect school children to do that kind of thing but not adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭blowitupref

curraghyid wrote: »
    it is safe to say the incidents on the pitch post the meathv louth leinster final are enough to not allow or deter pitch invasions.

What happened in that Louth v Meath game was pitch invasion what happened on Sunday was pitch celebration though i agree its tough on the losing team when all they want to do is get off the field.

THFC wrote: »
    What an ignorant statement! Over 50 years of pitch invasions in the GAA and not one serious injury. Hillsborough resulted in over-crowding. It did not result, in any way, shape or form, from a pitch invasion. Over-crowding in this day and age does not happen.

You could blame Michael Hogan's death on pitch invasions using that logic.

In fairness, I never said that Hillsbourough & pitch invasions were the same thing.

My (not very well made apparently) point was that the GAA are being somewhat forward thinking by trying to clamp down on pitch invasions. The FA were not so forward thinking with ther crowd control policy back in the 80's and it ended in a disaster.

I have seen some very very dodgy moments in pitch invasions down through the years. And I completely understand the logic of trying to get rid of them.

There is very little point in banning pitch invasions AFTER somebody gets hurt which seems to be the only way people on here will concede that pitch invasions are dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

People are saying, 'sure what harm in a pitch invasion, we've had them for years.' Well given the amount of compensation the GAA have had to pay out, there is obviously a lot of harm. Whether anyone was caused serious injury or not, or whether its simple oportunism, its now a health and safety issue. And who's to say that there wont be a serious issue in future? What if Limerick had won on Sunday after one of their players threw the ball in the net in the last minute, and there were some irate Cork fans spilling onto the pitch.

The decision was made for a reason, and I think the GAA are right to take the stance they have. I don't think its too much to ask to have people celebrate in the stands, and salute their heroes from there. And I also agree that its not particularly fair on the losing players either.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

The scenes in the Gaelic Grounds were wonderful but I don't think people would mind if there was no repeat in either the football or hurling championships later on in Croke Park

I mean you couldn't have a Hill 16 Dub pitch invasion, you wouldn't know what kind of weapons some of them would be packin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Disasters like Hillsborough happened due to overcrowding and high fences.
    The only conceivable way a Hillsborough type event could occur in a GAA game is if a terrace was completely overcrowded.

Stands like in the Gaelic Grounds, Croke Park etc don't have wire at the front of the stands, it's still there in terraces alright. The most dangerous aspect of the pitch invasions I always thought were the delay in opening the gates at the end as fans made a burst for a gate to open. The old Canal End in Croke Park was awful, you had to step up from terrace to pitch to get on the field. Very easy to stumble.

IMO, the players definitely should have a say.

Advertisement