Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitch Invasion - What you think of it?

Options
  • 18-09-2012 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Since the GAA have come out and ruled out the possibility of Donegal and Mayo fans invading the pitch after the final, what do people think of them taking this stance? Is there not the fear of the inevitable crush of people wanting to do what has traditionally been done for years and not to my knowledge (I stand to be corrected) cause any serious injury to anyone....or are tey tryig to go done the line of football matches in England and keep everyone in the stands for the trophy presetnations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

It's safer, and ultimately more enjoyable for the fans as they all get to see the lap of honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Pitch invasions are dangerous and reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

There always talking about the cost of insurance because of invasions yet can anyone cite an example of an injury taking place during a pitch invasion?

iDave wrote: »
    There always talking about the cost of insurance because of invasions yet can anyone cite an example of an injury taking place during a pitch invasion?
    Yes, Colm Cooper was struck by a fan once during an invasion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The health and safety guff being trotted out again, when really what is behind it is further monetising of a GAA event. This is being done for a clean focused advertising oppurtunity. The sponsors are probably insisting on it. Tradition means nothing to the GAA anymore, the bottom line is the accounts.

Yes, Colm Cooper was struck by a fan once during an invasion.

I meant fans getting injured but now that you mention it did that incident lead to an injury or a claim.

I meant fans getting injured but now that you mention it did that incident lead to an injury or a claim.
    No, and thank God for that, the GAA have been very lucky so far. But I do like your way of doing things, lets wait for someone to die before we change the laws, it worked very well with the English FA and Hillsborough I guess.

No, and thank God for that, the GAA have been very lucky so far. But I do like your way of doing things, lets wait for someone to die before we change the laws, it worked very well with the English FA and Hillsborough I guess.

No need for dramatics only asking you a question

No need for dramatics only asking you a question
    No, you make a very good point, cure is far better than prevention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Equating pitch invasion to Hillsborough? Really? That's like someone calling you Hitler for wanting the rules in place. Doesn't help anything.

I'd bet running onto the field is less dangerous than driving or going for a swim. It doesn't mean there isn't an argument against it. But if simply the threat of injury was enough to ban something, we'd all be watching the game alone in padded rooms. Maybe we should ban sports altogether because someone might have a heart attack while watching.

I say let em go.

RGM wrote: »
    Equating pitch invasion to Hillsborough? Really? That's like someone calling you Hitler for wanting the rules in place. Doesn't help anything.

I'd bet running onto the field is less dangerous than driving or going for a swim. It doesn't mean there isn't an argument against it. But if simply the threat of injury was enough to ban something, we'd all be watching the game alone in padded rooms. Maybe we should ban sports altogether because someone might have a heart attack while watching.

I say let em go.
    I didnt equate the act, I equated the belief that cure is better than prevention. I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to twist my words. Thank you.

Feel free to let them go, when someone does get seriously injured, or worse, then see how you feel about "letting them go". Your outlook is abhorrent to me.

buck65 wrote: »
    Is this old chestnut still being dragged out? Yawn.
    Stay off the f ing pitch.

You Sir are a smart man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Feel free to let them go, when someone does get seriously injured, or worse, then see how you feel about "letting them go". Your outlook is abhorrent to me.

Again, if the threat of injury were grounds enough to ban something, you'd have everyone walking to Croke Park.

Unless it was raining. Then we'd have to call it off.

Again, if the threat of injury were grounds enough to ban something, you'd have everyone walking to Croke Park.

Unless it was raining. Then we'd have to call it off.
    So you are equating 50,000 people stampeding onto a small area with people driving motor vehicles? You have a weird outlook on life and human safety. Thank God for the wise heads in the GAA.

So you are equating 50,000 people stampeding onto a small area with people driving motor vehicles? You have a weird outlook on life and human safety. Thank God for the wise heads in the GAA.

I didnt equate the act, I equated the belief that threat of injury alone is grounds for banning something. I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to twist my words. Thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

buck65 wrote: »

Personally I loved running onto a GAA pitch after an important win. I think this health and safety nonsense is just a lame excuse.

I completely disagree with the fence in front of Hill 16. I think it should be knocked down. It remind's me of Hilsborough. People are not animals. We don't need to have fences around us

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The most important factor for me is the players, I doubt they want thousands of bloody yahoos running up and slapping them on the back. Its not like any of those annoying kids did the legwork to win whatever title was at stake, so leave the players in peace. Its much more satisfying to see the players celebrating together than to see them mobbed by a bunch of people they dont even know.

Personally I loved running onto a GAA pitch after an important win. I think this health and safety nonsense is just a lame excuse.

I completely disagree with the fence in front of Hill 16. I think it should be knocked down. It remind's me of Hilsborough. People are not animals. We don't need to have fences around us
    Unfortunately GAA fans insistence on ignoring the specified wishes of the the Stadium owners necessitated the construction of the fence. If people would just respect the wishes and their fellow match goers then there would be no need for the fence. Until people learn, it will stay there I am sad to say. I am sadder to say, that from reading some of the reactions on here that people won't learn.
    I didnt equate the act, I equated the belief that threat of injury alone is grounds for banning something. I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to twist my words. Thank you.
    There was no twisting of words, it was plain to see your intent. I'd appreciate it if you could be original in your replies. Prevention is always better than cure, I do not wish to have any deaths in Croke Park, we in the GAA have seen quite enough blood shed there already.

The most important factor for me is the players, I doubt they want thousands of bloody yahoos running up and slapping them on the back. Its not like any of those annoying kids did the legwork to win whatever title was at stake, so leave the players in peace. Its much more satisfying to see the players celebrating together than to see them mobbed by a bunch of people they dont even know.
    Fabulous post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,019 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is also a H+S problem that has developed outside the ground after pitch invasions.

After a pitch invasion most people existed via the Hogan stand on to Jones Rd, this caused particular concerns to the Gardi as crushes were developing there
    There was a good documentary a few years ago about an All Ireland final that highlighted it

Without a pitch invasion the movement of people out of the ground can be better managed after a game.

I understand stopping pitch invasions in Professional Football and Rugby but not in the GAA. The GAA is not just a game. The matches are events where everyone in a local community come together, It's a social gathering. The players are not some obscure superstars. they are our neighbours, family, friends etc of the fans. Celebrating together on the pitch after a game is part of the tradition of the GAA. It's been happening since day 1

It should not be stopped now because of some stupid made up "health and safety" bull****

I understand stopping pitch invasions in Professional Football and Rugby but not in the GAA. The GAA is not just a game. The matches are events where everyone in a local community come together, It's a social gathering. The players are not some obscure superstars. they are our neighbours, family, friends etc of the fans. Celebrating together on the pitch after a game is part of the tradition of the GAA. It's been happening since day 1

It should not be stopped now because of some stupid made up "health and safety" bull****
    Health and Safety is neither made up or bullshiit. Your post is utterly ridiculous and reckless. Your lack of concern for the safety of players and fellow supporters turns my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭chubba1984

Clare supporters invaded the pitch on Saturday evening after the under 21s won. I thought it was great. Much better view of the trophy presentation from out on the pitch. We also invaded Croke Park in 09 when we won....Plan B was out in force that day!

chubba1984 wrote: »
    Clare supporters invaded the pitch on Saturday evening after the under 21s won. I thought it was great. Much better view of the trophy presentation from out on the pitch. We also invaded Croke Park in 09 when we won....Plan B was out in force that day!
    At neither game was there 50,000 fans attempting to make their way onto the pitch. It was on a far smaller scale with far less danger. Neither was right, and it sickens me to the pit of my stomach that you seem to revel in your carry on. I feel sorry for the players on both occasions who didnt get the opportunity take the occasion in properly. But hey, you had your fun, thats all that matters I guess.

At neither game was there 50,000 fans attempting to make their way onto the pitch. It was on a far smaller scale with far less danger. Neither was right, and it sickens me to the pit of my stomach that you seem to revel in your carry on. I feel sorry for the players on both occasions who didnt get the opportunity take the occasion in properly. But hey, you had your fun, thats all that matters I guess.

I find your take of this very strange cormac. Are you a regular at club or county GAA matches?

Why is this just restricted to Croke Park? As already mentioned you had a pitch invasion for the U21 and you still see it at senior provincial finals outside of Leinster. Why no effort to curb them at these events. Yes CP has greater numbers but surely the risk is there regardless if its 10k or 50k trying to get on the pitch.

I find your take of this very strange cormac. Are you a regular at club or county GAA matches?
    Yes and I will be there Sunday again. I don't see how my lack of desire to run onto a pitch, one which I have no right to be on nor have I worked to grace unlike the players who are there, to yelp and yahoo and backslap makes me any less of a "fíorgael".
    Why is this just restricted to Croke Park? As already mentioned you had a pitch invasion for the U21 and you still see it at senior provincial finals outside of Leinster. Why no effort to curb them at these events. Yes CP has greater numbers but surely the risk is there regardless if its 10k or 50k trying to get on the pitch.
    You don't think 50,000 people trying to break onto a space is any more dangerous that 10,000 people trying to burst onto the same space? Have you ever studied physics or geometry? Your lack of understanding is truly baffling and to be quite honest I am getting a headache discussing this with you given the sheer lack of basic sense which you are exhibiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Rodgeb

Great craic when you are a kid running on to the pitch however I understand completely why they need to be stopped. The assault on the referee after the Louth - Meath Leinster final demonstrates how dangerous they could be.

As usual a small minority of idiots are capable of ruining things for everyone else however the safety of the players and officials must take priority.

• Advertisement

Cormac calm down for heaven sake. Stop making stuff up. Obviouslty 50k is more dangerous. Are you suggesting 10k is completely safethen? if so maybe you need physics lesson. Are you suggesting it should be limited to CP? if so why, seen as you got in such a huff over it happening in Thurles.

Advertisement