Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitch Invasion - What you think of it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

People are saying, 'sure what harm in a pitch invasion, we've had them for years.' Well given the amount of compensation the GAA have had to pay out, there is obviously a lot of harm. Whether anyone was caused serious injury or not, or whether its simple oportunism, its now a health and safety issue. And who's to say that there wont be a serious issue in future? What if Limerick had won on Sunday after one of their players threw the ball in the net in the last minute, and there were some irate Cork fans spilling onto the pitch.

The decision was made for a reason, and I think the GAA are right to take the stance they have. I don't think its too much to ask to have people celebrate in the stands, and salute their heroes from there. And I also agree that its not particularly fair on the losing players either.

How much compensation directly because of invasions and how much compensation in general do they pay out? If the general figure was also hig then somebody would have a case to ban the game altogether.
    If you could quote actual verified figures please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Piplin banned for a month for personal abuse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My 2 cents for the whole pitch invasion thing is it's right to be banned and discouraged, not only would player safety be at risk but spectator safety would be a massive issue. If you are in a terrace at the end of an All Ireland, you'd have no choice but to go onto the pitch, with more and more people going, and unfortunately more and more drunk people going, it was only a matter of time before someone got seriously hurt. I think the system that's in place now of it's not allowed so stewards actively send people back and don't open the gates/block the way, but if loads of people want to get on they are allowed.

Personally, I know a guy who very nearly lost an eye going on the pitch after the All Ireland Final in 95, he slipped getting onto the pitch and fell onto a flag, got something like 12 stitches through his eye-lid and was in hospital for a long time (missed the Grad and everything :D). Also, if you want to see the effect a pitch invasion can have on a player watch Miracle Match 2 between Munster and Glochester and and the very end you see Duncan McRae legging it off the pitch cause he was terrified of what would happen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I can understand the health and safety concerns in banning pitch invasions. I understand that the players want to celebrate a big win with just their team mates, and not an unruly mob of strangers. But I still think that the GAA lost a part of its soul when they banned them.

I mean, in what other country or sport could they happen, without there being serious drama or violence? Imagine if they happened in the UK? There would be bedlam. The fact that they took place without major incident, for as long as they did, is a huge, huge testament to the people that did it, and the spirit in which they approached supporting their team and their sport imo.

What about allowing no fans on the pitch for 20-30 mins after the final whistle? The trophy presentation gets done & the players get to celebrate and parade it around the pitch, with no one else on the pitch but them. Then, the fans are allowed on at a designated time & in an orderly & safe manner.

The players that want to scarper to the sanctuary of the changing room can do so. The players that want to stay outside and mingle with the fans can do that too. The fans get to be a part of the celebrations. Not in the way that they used to, but at least in some manner that is connected to all those great scenes from years ago. Win win all around, no?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I can understand the health and safety concerns in banning pitch invasions. I understand that the players want to celebrate a big win with just their team mates, and not an unruly mob of strangers. But I still think that the GAA lost a part of its soul when they banned them.

I mean, in what other country or sport could they happen, without there being serious drama or violence? Imagine if they happened in the UK? There would be bedlam. The fact that they took place without major incident, for as long as they did, is a huge, huge testament to the people that did it, and the spirit in which they approached supporting their team and their sport imo.

What about allowing no fans on the pitch for 20-30 mins after the final whistle? The trophy presentation gets done & the player get to celebrate and parade it around the pitch, with no one else on the pitch but them. Then, the fans are allowed on at a designated time & in an orderly & safe manner.

The players that want to scarper to the sanctuary of the changing room can do so. The players that want to stay outside and mingle with the fans can do that too. The fans get to be a part of the celebrations. Not in the way that they used to, but at least in some manner that is connected to all those great scenes from years ago. Win win all around, no?

Most other countries would have had a history of pitch invasions, have a look at rugby, cricket, AFL, baseball and American Football.

• Advertisement

All the more reason to bring them back in here then so ! :D

Clareman wrote: »
    Most other countries would have had a history of pitch invasions, have a look at rugby, cricket, AFL, baseball and American Football.

All of them prone to steriliness from a spectator, sense of community point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Eh? College football is probably the most un 'sterile' environment in world sport.

We have something fantastic but let's not group together all the other sports to make ourselves feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Pitch invasions are great, the one in the Gaelic Grounds was a classic. Hopefully LK will win the all ireland and there'll be another monster one.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Pitch invasions are great, the one in the Gaelic Grounds was a classic. Hopefully LK will win the all ireland and there'll be another monster one.

You'll see one in Clones this weekend too, if Monaghan manage to beat Donegal. Although that might require an alien invasion first. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

What can be said for certain is that the scenes after the match on Sunday mean the occasion will really stick in the memory for years. I doubt if you ask any Limerick player, they would have had it any other way. There's no point in pretending that a lap of honour carries anywhere near the same excitement or level of emotion as celebrating on the pitch. It's simply not a patch on a pitch invasion.

As for health and safety, there kids in the crowd with hurleys on Sunday who bought them so they could knock around on the pitch afterwards. This happens routinely at Parnell Park also when kids get to go onto the pitch at half-time. Health and safety rules I'm sure would outlaw this, but it's a tradition at some venues and I think it's a wonderful one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Croke park has high insurance costs and apparently thats why they put end to pitch invasions however no ban is in place on other stadiums, in Connacht stewards open the gates and allow you to enter the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Uninterested Orange

Pitch invasions are great to see, really brings the emotion of players and fans together. What was seen in Limerick was great to see, hope to see them do it again in September. Don't know what the issue is at Croke Park, I think it would be great to see t every All Ireland Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

keane2097 wrote: »
    Ban driving altogether.

you totally missed my point

What happened in that Louth v Meath game was pitch invasion what happened on Sunday was pitch celebration though i agree its tough on the losing team when all they want to do is get off the field.

so where is the line drawn then? only the supporters from the winning team are allowed onto the pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭blowitupref

so where is the line drawn then? only the supporters from the winning team are allowed onto the pitch?

Why would a line have to be drawn? i doubt many supporters that lose will have much interest going onto the field and most will head home or to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

I understand how people can be nostalgic and passionate about this issue, but as I mentioned before, it's not fair on the losing players who cannot exit quick enough and therefore are recipients of abuse. Ultimately, the thirty players should get priority no matter how passionate fans are about their team. supporters wouldn't have a reason to be there if not for those players.

Secondly, would it not be possible for the GAA to have a clause to say that any supporters who exit the stands/terraces to the pitch hold liability?
    So if anyone gets injured, tough cookie; You shouldn't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

You'd swear from some of the posts here that the winning supporters were forming a human chain around the exit tunnels.

Losers are expected to wait on the field for the acceptance speech in finals anyways but if there was a significant pitch invasion for a non-final it's hardly much of a bother for the losing players to make an exit. Very few supporters abuse losing players and in fact I've never seen that happen once in all my years invading pitches. I'm sure it's happened but let's not kid ourselves and think it's more than a minute issue.

It really feels like people are inventing after-market reasons for a decision whose only worthwhile rationale was insurance costs, not serious safety concerns and certainly not opposition players.

Croke park has high insurance costs and apparently thats why they put end to pitch invasions however no ban is in place on other stadiums, in Connacht stewards open the gates and allow you to enter the field.

Some fecker (likely a Mayo lad, but that's just me being totally racist) forced a load of us to scale the railing - which has a fair old 8-10 foot drop from the top of the railing to the ground below - because he wouldn't let people use the stairs that connects the stand to the bleachers nearer the field after London beat Leitrim in an attempt to prevent a pitch invasion that had already happened.

To me that's magnitudes more dangerous than any pitch invasion. I hope the lad was just a lone ranger and more stewards use a smidgen of cop on when dealing with these situations outside the Insurance Bowl.

doubt many supporters that lose will have much interest going onto the field and most will head home or to the pub.

99% of the time that is the case, but look at the 2010 leinster final, or the 2011 connaught club football final. In those cases the referee was targeted on the pitch by the supporters of the losing team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Pitch invasions being banned at Croke Park was yet another tradition of the GAA being eroded away.

Never have I heard of any serious injury happening during a pitch invasion. Some of my most memorable hurling moments were from being on the pitch seeing cups being presented.

Good on the Limerick supporters for their pitch invasion. Let's hope if they do win the All-Ireland, that f**king barrier in front of the Hill will be knocked by the force of them trying to get onto the pitch. Send a message to the likes of Cooney and his ilk.

There is a very simple solution to this. Supporters should be left onto the field 5 minutes after the whistle is blown. An area should be opened up for the opposing team and officials directly below where an trophy is being presented in order for them not to be mixing with the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

What about allowing no fans on the pitch for 20-30 mins after the final whistle? The trophy presentation gets done & the players get to celebrate and parade it around the pitch, with no one else on the pitch but them. Then, the fans are allowed on at a designated time & in an orderly & safe manner.

Doesn't sound feasible. How exactly would you propose removing thousands of fans from the pitch? Easier to just keep them off the pitch in the first place.

If *fingers crossed* Limerick do win the All-Ireland, it will be very interesting to see what happens. I'd be quite concerned about Hill 16/Nally Stand and the prospect of fans surging forward towards that barrier, could create bigger H&S issues than a pitch invasion ever would.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 paudgemcgaudge

There must be important insurance reasons in Croke Park

jordainius wrote: »
    If *fingers crossed* Limerick do win the All-Ireland, it will be very interesting to see what happens. I'd be quite concerned about Hill 16/Nally Stand and the prospect of fans surging forward towards that barrier, could create bigger H&S issues than a pitch invasion ever would.

They kept the dubs off the pitch in 2011! It all comes down to safety though, if there is a large amount of fans trying to get onto the pitch and there is a crush at the front, then "Plan B" is put into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Not sure if its been mentioned here, but after the Limerick-Tipp game one of the Limerick players got eye-gouged (accidentally) by a fan who invaded the pitch who trying to celebrate with him. He ended up in hospital on the Wednesday and was lucky he didn't suffer a serious eye injury.

I know a player who was struck by a "supporter" who invaded the pitch after the final whistle of an Ireland final.

A saw a girl fall at the front of the hill trying to get onto the pitch and some big guy stood on her. I saw a guy tripping over a bit of the net and smack his face off the ground.

People who think they have a God-given right to be on the pitch are many of the same people who will stand on the sideline of an under 14 game and shout abuse at a 13 year old kid (often his own son) when they should be in the stand or terrace. But no, we're the GAA, "grassroots" organisation and I'll get onto the pitch if I want to.

macgrub wrote: »
    I understand how people can be nostalgic and passionate about this issue, but as I mentioned before, it's not fair on the losing players who cannot exit quick enough and therefore are recipients of abuse. Ultimately, the thirty players should get priority no matter how passionate fans are about their team. supporters wouldn't have a reason to be there if not for those players.

Secondly, would it not be possible for the GAA to have a clause to say that any supporters who exit the stands/terraces to the pitch hold liability?
    So if anyone gets injured, tough cookie; You shouldn't be there.

Losing is tough. If it was organised and stewarded it could make it easier for those wanting off the pitch. It's just a crowd of people.
    And it cuts both ways, the players wouldn't be there either if there where not supporters following them.
    There is no doubt in my mind that part of the reason and future plan in Croke Park was to accede to sponsors wanting a big branded presentation event in the midddle of the pitch.

jordainius wrote: »
    Doesn't sound feasible. How exactly would you propose removing thousands of fans from the pitch? Easier to just keep them off the pitch in the first place.

What's not feasible about it? The fans would just drift away and leave at the same rate and pace that they have always done. I would have thought that getting the fans off the pitch would be the least part of the problem. People would have calmed down, and would just gradually drift away, as opposed to the one mad dash when everyone is all fired up, and wants to charge onto the pitch at the same time.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Losing is tough. If it was organised and stewarded it could make it easier for those wanting off the pitch. It's just a crowd of people.
    How would this be organised? We assign 10 stewards to immediately sprint towards and form a protective circle around each of the 15 players of the defeated team to guide them safely towards the exit? We keep the crowd off the pitch until the defeated team leaves the pitch? And if it was "just a crowd of people" we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place, there's nothing simple about this.
    And it cuts both ways, the players wouldn't be there either if there where not supporters following them.
    I put it more down to the few hundred hours of training the players do myself. Fans don't drive a team to success, they have no influence at all. Fans are fickle, almost 5 years to the day before the pitch invasion at the weekend Limerick were booed off at half time and full time by about half of a 10k crowd as Offaly sent them out of the championship. Players of all counties know that they only have the support of the fans when things are going well, and they are well aware that the fans can turn on them in an instant. Players are the lifeblood of the GAA, not fans.

There is no doubt in my mind that part of the reason and future plan in Croke Park was to accede to sponsors wanting a big branded presentation event in the midddle of the pitch.
    This is quite a cynical view. Both codes have 3 title sponsors who are very well known and get plenty of publicity. The GAA have given their reasons, this has more to do with Health and Safety and the wishes of the players than it has to do with sponsorship. There's no conspiracy here.

I don't agree with the GAA's stance, but I understand it and respect their choice. At the end of the day if something goes wrong, they will be the ones picking up the bill as we have a sickening compensation culture in this country. And that is what has changed. There was a time when people took responsibility for their own actions, if someone got hurt they were more likely to take it on the chin, say to themselves "My own fault really, I took that risk when I decided to run on to the pitch.", now it's a case of; "Oh I stubbed my toe because the GAA didn't stop me from running onto the pitch, good thing I have my solicitor on speed dial.".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

You have to give GAA fans massive credit. I would say not 1 Tipp or Cork player got a punch or kick after the pitch invasions.

If that were a soccer match, I don't think I could say the same thing.

What's not feasible about it? The fans would just drift away and leave at the same rate and pace that they have always done. I would have thought that getting the fans off the pitch would be the least part of the problem. People would have calmed down and would just gradually drift away, as opposed to the one mad dash when everyone is all fired up, and wants to charge onto the pitch at the same time.

Once the fans are on the pitch, they're not going to leave it until the presentation is made. And it would be a bit daft to make the presentation at least 30/45 minutes after the final whistle, the "one mad dash where everyone charges onto the pitch" would still happen, and why make the presentation when everyone has calmed down? That kind of takes away from the moment.

• Advertisement

You have to give GAA fans massive credit. I would say not 1 Tipp or Cork player got a punch or kick after the pitch invasions.

I saw a few Cork players receiving pats on the back and sympathy and encouragement from some Limerick fans (and Cork fans naturally enough), sure there will always be a few bad eggs in crowds of that size, but I didn't see (or hear of) anything nasty after Limerick's two games this year.

Advertisement