Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pitch Invasion - What you think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Someone might get killed during a pitch invasion? What a load of sensationalist rubbish.
    As for the argument that there are 80000 trying to get the field in Croke Park at the same time - more rubbish. A good 25000 for starters are on the upper deck and at least half on the lower decks and on the hill will have lost and have no interest in going anywhere only home with their tail between their legs.
    Pitch invasions were very much part of All Ireland Final day and should be preserved - securely monitored if needs be and signs put up warning patrons that they enter the field at their own risk. If there is say a Westlife concert on in Croke Park you haver twice as many on the field as after an AI yet that is fine? On top of that, nearly all the people at an AI are honest and genuine people who will not try to endanger the safety of anyone - let parents be responsible for their children and there's no problem.
    Even auld women wouldnt carry on the way some of ye have on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

kstand wrote: »
    If there is say a Westlife concert on in Croke Park you haver twice as many on the field as after an AI yet that is fine? On top of that, nearly all the people at an AI are honest and genuine people who will not try to endanger the safety of anyone - let parents be responsible for their children and there's no problem.
    Even auld women wouldnt carry on the way some of ye have on this thread.

No you don't, Pitch capacity for a concert is limited to 14,000. About half the amount of people who would be on the pitch for an All Ireland final.

You will also get a higher level of alcohol consumption at an All Ireland final, compared to a westlife concert. No matter how honest people are, alcohol changes people. I've also seen people deliberatley put their children in danger to try and force us into opening the gates, now that shocked me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

No, and thank God for that, the GAA have been very lucky so far. But I do like your way of doing things, lets wait for someone to die before we change the laws, it worked very well with the English FA and Hillsborough I guess.

It was keeping fans in the stands that caused Hillsborough. If there was a pitch invasion it would have been better.

Good luck trying to keep Mayo/Donegal fans off the field on Sunday

Good luck trying to keep Mayo/Donegal fans off the field on Sunday

People said that about Dublin last year ;)

mmcn90 wrote: »
    No you don't, Pitch capacity for a concert is limited to 14,000. About half the amount of people who would be on the pitch for an All Ireland final.

You will also get a higher level of alcohol consumption at an All Ireland final, compared to a westlife concert. No matter how honest people are, alcohol changes people. I've also seen people deliberatley put their children in danger to try and force us into opening the gates, now that shocked me.

There's no call for that at all - cant believe someone would do that with a child. Cant understand why something cant be arranged so that the fans are aware and everything done in somewhat of an orderly fashion. You will get young lads gone cracked after an AI but by and large, most people are responsible and if somnething was in place you'd have no bother at all.

There's no call for that at all - cant believe someone would do that with a child. Cant understand why something cant be arranged so that the fans are aware and everything done in somewhat of an orderly fashion. You will get young lads gone cracked after an AI but by and large, most people are responsible and if somnething was in place you'd have no bother at all.

Neither could I, it really was shocking to see, and it involved me pulling two kids out of the crowd. Its not always young lads that are the problem, Its a huge percentage of the crowd that have consumed a large amount of alcohol. To give you an example without going into too much detail, I was punched in the face by a middle aged, well dressed male (who had consumed a large amount of alcohol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Cant understand why something cant be arranged so that the fans are aware and everything done in somewhat of an orderly fashion. You will get young lads gone cracked after an AI but by and large, most people are responsible and if somnething was in place you'd have no bother at all.

It is arranged now, as a result of the small minority who want to do everything in their power to get on to the pitch without regards to anyone else, no one will be allowed.

Now as a RESPONSIBLE adult I am sure "nearly all" AI attendees will be able to follow the rules set.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gronemeyer

Let's be honest the pitch would be trampled to bits and idiots not everybody would be ripping up lumps of turf to start their Croke Park out the back garden from the turf of the glorious victory, with finals scheduled for the next couple of weeks, do these players not deserve to have a decent if not perfect pitch?

gronemeyer wrote: »
    Let's be honest the pitch would be trampled to bits and idiots not everybody would be ripping up lumps of turf to start their Croke Park out the back garden from the turf of the glorious victory, with finals scheduled for the next couple of weeks, do these players not deserve to have a decent if not perfect pitch?

And this doesnt happen every time they hold a concert in there?

And this doesnt happen every time they hold a concert in there?

Why would Westlife fans want to start their own mini Croke Park? Not to mention their is usually a gap between concerts and game days and the pitch is normally re-laid after a concert...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Fair enough your a stewart in CP and fair play to you for giving up your time on a Sunday to go in and watch the sporting activities free of charge !!!!!

TBH, I'm a steward at CP too and I find this statement very insulting. Yes I get to see the match is great and all that but I can't enjoy the match. If my county are playing, I can't cheer them on. I'm not there with my friends/family and that too takes away from the experience. Essentially, I am there to perform a duty. I am also there from well before the stiles open until well after the match is over, so it's not like I'm strolling in 5 minutes before throw in.

I give up a large part of my free time to help the GAA because the GAA is a very important part of my life and I want to give something back to the organisation. Most of the games I have little/no interest in. I would hope that if you ever came across me, you would find me helpful.

I would definitely agree that some are a long for the free ride though, and I think they do a great disservice.
    Why not leave it up to the guys who are getting paid to do it anyway ? Not as if the GAA are short a few bob and wouldnt survive without you.

Croke Park are extremely reluctant to use paid security and not because of cost. They would much rather use people who have an interest in the GAA. Paid security brings with it an "us and them" mentality which "generally" doesn't exist with stewards.

Why would Westlife fans want to start their own mini Croke Park? Not to mention their is usually a gap between concerts and game days and the pitch is normally re-laid after a concert...

There's 2 weeks between the hurling and football AI finals.

There's 2 weeks between the hurling and football AI finals.

What about the Camogie finalists? Or do they not deserve a decent pitch?

LeftBlank wrote: »

Normally yes but the hurling is next week..... Not to mention the ladies football the week after... And there is usually a game in the middle of the mens hurling and football finals played on the pitch...

LeftBlank wrote: »

If they are happy to hold concerts in CP in the middle of ther summer, then pitch invasions should not be an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Normally yes but the hurling is next week..... Not to mention the ladies football the week after... And there is usually a game in the middle of the mens hurling and football finals played on the pitch...

I don't follow. What does next weeks hurling replay have to do with anything ?

The game played in the middle of the men's hurling and football is the camogie final.

Lapin wrote: »
    I don't follow. What does next weeks hurling replay have to do with anything ?

The game played in the middle of the men's hurling and football is the camogie final.

Well a large pitch invasion would wreck the pitch. Especially if their has been rainfall before hand, don't you think?

And as already stated do the camogie players not deserve a decent surface and the ladies footballers the week after the mens final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

There won't be any pitch invasion on Sunday because it's going to end in a draw :p.

I have to laugh at some of the people suggesting they give the players 5 minutes to celebrate or console each other and then get behind a safety cordon before opening the gates to let the the fans run loose. How selfish are you? These lads have trained for years in the hope of simply getting to an All Ireland final and they might never be there again. Do you not think they deserve some time after the final whistle to reflect on whats just happened and take it all in before before being mobbed by thousands of people they don't even know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

The most important factor for me is the players, I doubt they want thousands of bloody yahoos running up and slapping them on the back. Its not like any of those annoying kids did the legwork to win whatever title was at stake, so leave the players in peace. Its much more satisfying to see the players celebrating together than to see them mobbed by a bunch of people they dont even know.

i see where you are coming from but its part of the gaa, i mean look at the recent under 21 final where both sets of fans came on the pitch and it went off without incident, you will definitely see a few jumping through anyway, it just makes them more determined

• Advertisement

There won't be any pitch invasion on Sunday because it's going to end in a draw :p.

I have to laugh at some of the people suggesting they give the players 5 minutes to celebrate or console each other and then get behind a safety cordon before opening the gates to let the the fans run loose. How selfish are you? These lads have trained for years in the hope of simply getting to an All Ireland final and they might never be there again. Do you not think they deserve some time after the final whistle to reflect on whats just happened and take it all in before before being mobbed by thousands of people they don't even know?

If I ever won an All Ireland (wont happen now unfortunately) I cwouldnt care less who was mobbing me I'd be so happy. I'd wnat to be down with the people from my own parish and county whether I knew them or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

If I ever won an All Ireland (wont happen now unfortunately) I cwouldnt care less who was mobbing me I'd be so happy. I'd wnat to be down with the people from my own parish and county whether I knew them or not.

And what about the lads who have trained for years and just lost out on their only chance at a winners medal? Do they not deserve some time to sit and take it all in before being forced down the tunnel?

And what about the lads who have trained for years and just lost out on their only chance at a winners medal? Do they not deserve some time to sit and take it all in before being forced down the tunnel?

If it were me, I'd shake hands with the fella I'd marked and whoever else I met and I'd slip away quietly. I've played in a few county finals and lost them and hated standing there watching the opposition collecting the cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

If Mayo win on Sunday there will be bedlam. Winning an All-Ireland is something Mayo people have been yearning for. When that whistle goes and if Mayo are in the lead there will be a pitch invasion. Probably bigger than the Tyrone one in 2003.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

No, and thank God for that, the GAA have been very lucky so far. But I do like your way of doing things, lets wait for someone to die before we change the laws, it worked very well with the English FA and Hillsborough I guess.

Do you actually know what happened at Hillsborough or are you just quoting the sun of 23 years ago. :rolleyes:

What happened at Hillsborough could happen on Hill 16 under the same circumstances without any pitch invasion at all.

BTW you do know they went onto the pitch as a means of escape ?
    At neither game was there 50,000 fans attempting to make their way onto the pitch. It was on a far smaller scale with far less danger. Neither was right, and it sickens me to the pit of my stomach that you seem to revel in your carry on. I feel sorry for the players on both occasions who didnt get the opportunity take the occasion in properly. But hey, you had your fun, thats all that matters I guess.

I never knew 50,000 used to invade the pitch in Croker.
    I think it is awfull that they are going to stop the Mayo or Donegal fans from celebrating this very rare All Ireland win. For counties like them. The fans may never see their team win an All Ireland again. Being held back just takes away from their day. from the experience of releasing the emotion of pure joy while running across the pitch at croke park. Its a damn shame.

Listen I remember a few years ago someone saying in response to the anouncement about patrons refraining from entering the pitch that
    "if Mayo wins the All Ireland, I will not alone enter the pitch I will fookin dig it up and take it home with me."

The lawn in Blacksod needed resurfacing I guess. :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

A concert in croke park is completely different to an all Ireland Final for a start the amount of people allowed on the pitch in croke park is controlled and they are in sections so the front is cordened off from the rest so as to help prevent crushing.

Another issue that I find surprising from such die hard gaa suporters is you don't seem concerned about the stadium itself the stadium is designed so we can safely let the egress exit the stadium in a calm and controlled manner this simple cannot be done when a pitch invasion occurs.

Some of you have also commented that does a concert not damage the playing surface like a pitch invasion and the simple answer is no if you have not been to concert at CP before then you will not have seen the interlocking plastic mat that is laid out which protects the pitch. This could simpled not be put in place after an AI final to prevent the damaged caused. It is one of the best playing surfaces in the world why would you so called supporters not care about it and want it to stay in perfect condition?

GAA supporters are no different to soccer/rugby supporters and they are not allowed on the pitch in aviva stadium or any other large venure so why do you think you have a god given right to be allowed on the pitch after a final?

The stewards,gardai and paid security should also not have to deal with these pitch invasions. Its unfair on them as they are at risk of getting injured. You supporters who are in favour of pitch invasions don't seem to care about your own safety but you shouldn't be allowed to put the Croke Park staff's safety at risk too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

Personally, I think pitch invasions could be properly managed with a bit of planning. Give the players maybe 5 minutes or more to celebrate/commiserate initially and get an area in front of the Hogan cordened off where players and staff from both teams can congregate comfortably. Then when everything's in place, let the people on the pitch.

Problem with this is if 1 person get through in the 5/10 mins breathing space the floodgates will open.

Also in the 5/10 mins between the final whistle and the people coming onto the pitch, you think the people in the top decks are going to sit on thier hands and watch? Of course not, they'll be rushing down to try get in as well, as they know they have a good few minutes before the presentation. They'll then meet the losing teams support leaving. Crush points all over the place.

I was on the Hill last year, enjoyed celebrating with those around me and when Cullen lifted the cup I felt as much part of it as I would have if I had been on the pitch

jmayo wrote: »
    What happened at Hillsborough could happen on Hill 16 under the same circumstances without any pitch invasion at all.

No it couldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

If Mayo win on Sunday there will be bedlam. Winning an All-Ireland is something Mayo people have been yearning for. When that whistle goes and if Mayo are in the lead there will be a pitch invasion. Probably bigger than the Tyrone one in 2003.

Stupid post.

If Dublin fans(Bar one) can stay in the stands and celebrate so can Mayo fans.

As has been said players hate it, they want to celbrate together if they have won and if beaten the last thing you need is some idiot who has been on the beer all day coming up to you.

Stay off the pitch, celebrate from the stands, it's simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

i see where you are coming from but its part of the gaa, i mean look at the recent under 21 final where both sets of fans came on the pitch and it went off without incident, you will definitely see a few jumping through anyway, it just makes them more determined

It is not part of the GAA, it is only part of games when you have stewards who don't do their jobs properly.

big difference in numbers between an u-21 final and an all Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

its the crush that develops at the front below the presentation area, thats the problem as well as people running and tripping over advertising boards.

Cost a fair whack them advertising broads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Could one of the 'stewards' on here let us know what level of force you are required to use or permitted to use to prevent an invasion?
    Just interested in the planning.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Could one of the 'stewards' on here let us know what level of force you are required to use or permitted to use to prevent an invasion?
    Just interested in the planning.

None, thats what the Guards are for. However, if somebody assaults me, I'm entitled to use reasonable force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

None, thats what the Guards are for. However, if somebody assaults me, I'm entitled to use reasonable force.

And in the event of them invading anyway, what's the plan then?

Plan B, I would guess.

There will be two (or possibly more) paid security guards inside every gate

It will be hard to get past the cordon on AI final day, if they do then the situation will be assessed. If it becomes dangerous, then immediate action will be taken to make it as safe as possible, as quickly as possible. People who attempt to pass the cordon, will be removed from the stadium by Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

AGC wrote: »
    Stupid post.

If Dublin fans(Bar one) can stay in the stands and celebrate so can Mayo fans.

As has been said players hate it, they want to celbrate together if they have won and if beaten the last thing you need is some idiot who has been on the beer all day coming up to you.

Stay off the pitch, celebrate from the stands, it's simple.

Dont think it was a stupid post really.

You can't equate Dublin winning last year to what it would be like if Mayo won on Sunday.

They have had to watch their team lose 5 finals, and i would guess to many fans their dreams of winning sam would also have the pitch invasion as part of it as at all those other final defeats the winning team went on the pitch.

It would mean so much to those fans to go on the pitch as winners for a change.

Honestly it would be no big deal if it happens.

Bar the 1 or 2 more then likely fake insurance claims that would come out of it for the GAA.

Ive been at 11 All ireland Finals and i have seen the likes of Armagh/Tyrone win their all irelands and the reality is, it is not mass hesteria of people jumping all over each other to get on the pitch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

When I mentioned birds, I was referring the feathered variety, and it was a quote from Friends, please try to keep up.

And I don't appreciate what you are referring to with your "fatter" jibe, I am incredibly healthy, I eat whey protein and work out to keep myself in the excellent shape I am currently in. I have nothing against overweight people other than it disgusts me to look at them, but I would never see fit to make fun of them on an anonymous internet forum, your kind disgusts me.

Of course the crowd has relevance, there is less chance of a major incident if the crowds aren't coming from teeming stands in a heaving Croke Park on All Ireland day. You seem to want to provoke a reaction, both here, and in Croke Park it seems, which is quite disconcerting and makes me think I should perhaps report your post for fear of what you could do next.

People can't be held back, this has been proven in the past, if they believe they can get on the field, they will get on the field. The GAA had to go to the not inconsiderable cost of constructing barriers to keep these ne'er do wells corralled in, this was a last gasp solution and the only one that would work. It saddens me that it came to this, but what we got here is a failure to communicate, some men you just can't reach. So we get what we got here in the past, which is the way he wants it, well, he gets it. I don't like it anymore than you do.

Why should I go to great lengths to try deconstruct your stream of consciousness? Why should the onus be on me? I am generous enough to make my points coherently, to construct my posts in a well thought out and grammatically correct manner, the least I would expect from you is that you pay me the same respect. However you don't, so it irks me to think that I should do the same.

The wise heads have been proven correct over the last two years when it comes to All Ireland pitch invasions. The Dublin and Tipperary fans both respected the GAA wishes for a safe and calm presentation, and all the players appreciated the gesture, they even stayed out on the field for up to an hour afterwards in some cases.

The tone in your voice saddens and alarms me I must admit, its almost as if you are actively seeking out "trouble" on Sunday. I will give serious consideration to reporting your post over the coming days.
    Well at the very least, that post proves that you're just trolling.
    You're entertaining, I'll give you that, but a troll nonetheless.

Why should I go to great lengths to try deconstruct your stream of consciousness? Why should the onus be on me? I am generous enough to make my points coherently, to construct my posts in a well thought out and grammatically correct manner, the least I would expect from you is that you pay me the same respect. However you don't, so it irks me to think that I should do the same.
    A word of advice, if you're going to stoop so low as to criticise the grammar of other posters (as well as bragging about your own), I'd suggest you make your own posts 100% grammatically correct before you do so:
    Its very hard to argue with any of that. I think its only fair to give you the last word on it. Thanks for you help and volunteerism.
    Leave them to it, its little to do with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gaelic cowboy

Is it not the case that this time the GAA might be more security concerned as a game of hurling will need to be play the following week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is it not the case that this time the GAA might be more security concerned as a game of hurling will need to be play the following week.

A pitch invasion causes the following problems.

- Insurance issues - people falling and slipping rushing to get a better spot.
    - damage to advertising hoarding
    - crowd control and the possibility of a crush at the front of the crowd near the tunnel.
    - Damage to the pitch.
    - Crowd control issues as everyone leaves at the one exit route rather than staggered over the different ones in each stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

- Insurance issues - people falling and slipping rushing to get a better spot.
    One of the main reasons I suspect.

- damage to advertising hoarding
    Another of the main reasons

- crowd control and the possibility of a crush at the front of the crowd near the tunnel.
    Not applicable didnt happen thru the years why should it be any different

- Damage to the pitch.
    Not applicable--Croke Park has had its fair share of concerts

- Crowd control issues as everyone leaves at the one exit route rather than staggered over the different ones in each stand.
    Never an issue before this

I think H+S has a lot of sh1te to answer for, this being one of those things.
    If GAA are so big on tradition why the change of this.

As said already, the pitch is completely protected for concerts, not for matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

As said already, the pitch is completely protected for concerts, not for matches.

That didn't stop them having to hack up the pitch before Kilkenny played Waterford in 09, after a U2 concert if I'm not mistaken.

Pitch invasions when KK win are generally harmless enough, even though certain "big wigs" in Croke Park tried to label us as thugs and vandals on Liveline after the 2006 final.

That was because of the stage itself, financially it was worth it for CP. most of the time the pitch is perfect after a concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Don't they have to relay the pitch after concerts?

Don't they have to relay the pitch after concerts?

Nope, that was only for U2, even after 3 nights of gigs in a week, the pitch was in good nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

A word of advice, if you're going to stoop so low as to criticise the grammar of other posters (as well as bragging about your own), I'd suggest you make your own posts 100% grammatically correct before you do so:
    I am embarrassed that this is the best you could come up with. Embarrassed. For you.
    Nope, that was only for U2, even after 3 nights of gigs in a week, the pitch was in good nick

The pitch was due a resodding. This was well flagged. It's quite sad to see people attempt to make things up to suit their own agenda here.

CucaFace wrote: »
    Dont think it was a stupid post really.

You can't equate Dublin winning last year to what it would be like if Mayo won on Sunday.

So Dublin people have no emotions? Dublin don't loose games either?
    It would mean so much to those fans to go on the pitch as winners for a change.

Well it would even better to let the players enjoy their moment as winners don't you think after all their hard work over the year?
    Honestly it would be no big deal if it happens.

Bar the 1 or 2 more then likely fake insurance claims that would come out of it for the GAA.

These one or two fake insurance claims push the ticket prices up for us fans who go to GAA games week in, week out for me this would be a big deal :rolleyes:

I am embarrassed that this is the best you could come up with. Embarrassed. For you.
    Back from under your bridge I see.
    You're the only one who embarrassed yourself by criticising someone else's grammar while bragging that yours was correct. It really is pathetic on your part, as is threatening to report posts that don't agree with your views (go ahead and report mine by the way. I'm sure the mods could do with a laugh).

I'm done engaging (I couldn't even call it 'arguing' to be honest) with you. Pretty much every other poster can argue their point of view, whatever it is, without resorting to the petty insults and childishness that you come out with.

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

So Dublin people have no emotions? Dublin don't loose games either?
    As a population they wouldnt have as strong emotion like cork or kerry because they are used to winning down through the years
    Well it would even better to let the players enjoy their moment as winners don't you think after all their hard work over the year?

Most players prefer the old way
    But in time you will be right because they will know no difference
    These one or two fake insurance claims push the ticket prices up for us fans who go to GAA games week in, week out for me this would be a big deal :rolleyes:
    This im no expert in but im sure ithere wouldbe a way to prevent insurance claims being successful besides whats done.

I do believe pitch invasion will go and its another part of our culture/fabric that cannot be replaced,gone.

Advertisement