Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitch Invasion - What you think of it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

iDave wrote: »
    seen as you got in such a huff over it happening in Thurles.
    Huh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I think it is awfull that they are going to stop the Mayo or Donegal fans from celebrating this very rare All Ireland win. For counties like them. The fans may never see their team win an All Ireland again. Being held back just takes away from their day. from the experience of releasing the emotion of pure joy while running across the pitch at croke park. Its a damn shame.

Ask a Mayo or Donegal fan right now would they care, and they'll tell you they couldnt give a flying fucck once Sam is crossing their border. They'll celebrate it just fine thank you very much. And their players will be able to savour the victory with the other players in the camp, not yahoo's lepping and shrieking and pulling from them. At the end of the day, the players care about those in their circle, the camp, and their families and friends. They'll see all of those soon enough.

Let them breath, let them celebrate, and stay away from something that is not yours to intrude upon. Pay heed to the players own advice, stay off the pitch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Another thing is these fans who are going to the match will have spent at least 100 euro each getting to this game. between ticket, traval, program and overpriced food in the stadium. I say they have payed for the right to share in the moment with their family friends and neighbours on the pitch

Another thing is these fans who are going to the match will have spent at least 100 euro each getting to this game. between ticket, traval, program and overpriced food in the stadium. I say they have payed for the right to share in the moment with their family friends and neighbours on the pitch
    No they haven't. Their ticket allows them entry and if they have a stand ticket, a seat. That is all. They can meet their neighbours and family friends at home.

I feel like I am talking to birds here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I wonder have the H&S geniuses assessed and quantified the potential for injury for those trying to get on the pitch?
    They should just be done with allowing such crowds assembling in the first place, that's the cause of all this.
    Ramp up the TV rights cost and charge people to see it on telly. They'll be 'safer' at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It's not about health and safety it's about protecting the GAA from having a massive claim against them in the event of a serious injury or death and that's fair enough when you consider that if that did happen ticket prices would have to sky rocket to cover the cost of insurance in the future.

If the GAA let a pitch invasion occur and someone gets injured because they let it occur that's grounds for a massive claim.

The GAA have no concerns about people being injured outside the venue so comparing driving to the event is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

All the talk about safety but yet it still happens in every other ground after a final just not croke park talk about hypocrites

draffodx wrote: »
    It's not about health and safety it's about protecting the GAA from having a massive claim against them in the event of a serious injury or death and that's fair enough when you consider that if that did happen ticket prices would have to sky rocket to cover the cost of insurance in the future.

If the GAA let a pitch invasion occur and someone gets injured because they let it occur that's grounds for a massive claim.

The GAA have no concerns about people being injured outside the venue so comparing driving to the event is just stupid.
    No I'm pretty sure the GAA are still a bit concerned about their patrons and players. I doubt they are of the opinion that its ok for people to die or get hurt as long as they don't make a claim.
    Joekers wrote: »
    All the talk about safety but yet it still happens in every other ground after a final just not croke park talk about hypocrites

82,000 people versus smaller ranging from 5,000 to perhaps 15,000.

All Ireland Final versus barely consequential provincial games.

Honestly, I really think birds learn faster than some people here or do people just not read posts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

No I'm pretty sure the GAA are still a bit concerned about their patrons and players. I doubt they are of the opinion that its ok for people to die or get hurt as long as they don't make a claim.

82,000 people versus smaller ranging from 5,000 to perhaps 15,000.

All Ireland Final versus barely consequential provincial games.

Honestly, I really think birds learn faster than some people here or do people just not read posts?
    You're a very charming person aren't you?
    Quick question: at what attendance do pitch invasions become dangerous? 20000? 30000? Were you against the pitch invasion on Saturday night? I'd appreciate if you could answer these without either twisting my post or throwing about insults.

Personally, I think pitch invasions could be properly managed with a bit of planning. Give the players maybe 5 minutes or more to celebrate/commiserate initially and get an area in front of the Hogan cordened off where players and staff from both teams can congregate comfortably. Then when everything's in place, let the people on the pitch.
    For Sunday, they should at least have the presentation in the middle of the pitch if no pitch invasion occurs. One thing I've found about the All Ireland presentations is that they come across as very cheap and tacky (with those useless streamers). Also, it's nigh on impossible to see the presentation if you're in the Cusack or parts of the Hill and Canal End.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Joekers wrote: »

Great to see such an outpouring of emotion last Saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I'm sure they have a PLAN B for when the pitch does become invaded

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Rodgeb wrote: »
    Great craic when you are a kid running on to the pitch however I understand completely why they need to be stopped. The assault on the referee after the Louth - Meath Leinster final demonstrates how dangerous they could be.

As usual a small minority of idiots are capable of ruining things for everyone else however the safety of the players and officials must take priority.

Maybe the stewards could stop and ask the people as they approach the pitch, if they intend to cause harm to any player or official. If they answer with NO, let them carry on. If they answer YES, tell them they are not allowed onto the pitch.

You're a very charming person aren't you?
    Quick question: at what attendance do pitch invasions become dangerous? 20000? 30000? Were you against the pitch invasion on Saturday night? I'd appreciate if you could answer these without either twisting my post or throwing about insults.
    I dont know you, so I dont know why you need to comment on how charming or not I am. I am being generous here to reply to your post given the nature in which you approached me.

- I wasn't there Saturday.
    - I would say 82,000 is far more dangerous attempting a pitch invasion that 20,000 or 30,000.

Personally, I think pitch invasions could be properly managed with a bit of planning. Give the players maybe 5 minutes or more to celebrate/commiserate initially and get an area in front of the Hogan cordened off where players and staff from both teams can congregate comfortably. Then when everything's in place, let the people on the pitch.
    For Sunday, they should at least have the presentation in the middle of the pitch if no pitch invasion occurs. One thing I've found about the All Ireland presentations is that they come across as very cheap and tacky (with those useless streamers). Also, it's nigh on impossible to see the presentation if you're in the Cusack or parts of the Hill and Canal End.
    The point is, people wont wait. And why should the players wait for these yahoos to get their moment in the sun? Its the players time, why do people insist on encroaching on that. Its baffling.
    martyeds wrote: »
    Maybe the stewards could stop and ask the people as they approach the pitch, if they intend to cause harm to any player or official. If they answer with NO, let them carry on. If they answer YES, tell them they are not allowed onto the pitch.
    I couldnt see this working. It seems foolish in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I dont ever remember 50,000 trying to get onto the field in Croke Park.There will probably be 30,000 supporters from each county at the final and probably half of them will either be in the top tiers or have no interest in getting on the pitch.That leaves probably 15,000 who would want to get ont the field after the game.

There would be no issue with pitch invasions if the GAA just organised them properly and opened the gates and allowed supporters to file onto the field in a safe manner so they could get a proper look at the presentation.Perhaps if they cooperated with fans instead of lecturing them they might get a solution that would make keep everybody happy

supporters to file onto the field in a safe manner
    Yea, good joke mate, thanks Laughing_smiley.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Scrappylad

Is this not said every year? And low and behold it ends up safer to let fans in. I have no particular views on this as an earlier poster said I don't care as long as dinegal win(praying).

Scrappylad wrote: »
    And low and behold it ends up safer to let fans in.
    No it doesn't. It worked just fine for both All Ireland's for the past 2 years. Please get your facts right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Yea, good joke mate, thanks Laughing_smiley.gif

If the fans knew they would be let on the field and the GAA cooperated I doubt there would be much issue.Most fans want to get on the field so can can get a proper look at the trophy presentation.

If the fans knew they would be let on the field and the GAA cooperated I doubt there would be much issue.Most fans want to get on the field so can can get a proper look at the trophy presentation.
    Of course they would, I mean in the uproar after an All Ireland Final win, you'll be more than happy to wait 5 minutes, in an orderly manner ans you then proceed to stroll out through a small gateway as hundreds and thousands others do the same. You wouldn't ever be tempted to jockey for position. No sireeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I can't see how your plan could fail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Scrappylad wrote: »
    Is this not said every year? And low and behold it ends up safer to let fans in. I have no particular views on this as an earlier poster said I don't care as long as dinegal win(praying).

There hasn't been a pitch invasion in Croke Park since Leinster Final 2010.

Is the big screen not big enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

My suggestion is a ten minute period after the game for players to celbrate/ commiserate and assemble at Hogan stand after which fans would be allowed on.
    If fans knew that they didnt have to run gauntlet of security and also that the players werent still out all over the pitch there would be a more orderly "invasion" Also after ten minutes initial hysteria would have calmed down a bit.
    Obviously I cant prove this but think it makes sense.
    Do we have to completely sanitise everything in life just cos the effing champions league did it. There nothing like being on the pitch after your team has just won the all ireland.
    Finally,Croke Park authorities seem to be happy enough for young girls to stagger about the place,including upper decks pissed out of their heads at Westlife gigs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

harpsman wrote: »
    Finally,Croke Park authorities seem to be happy enough for young girls to stagger about the place,including upper decks pissed out of their heads at Westlife gigs

If it had anything to do with punter safety the GAA would be flat out and flat broke securing all their grounds against accidental injury.

Obviously I cant prove this but think it makes sense.
    Do we have to completely sanitise everything in life just cos the effing champions league did it. There nothing like being on the pitch after your team has just won the all ireland.

I don't think it would work because there'd always be at least one person who can't wait 10 minutes, and once one or two get on then all bets are off.

Remember when Dublin spent more than an hour on the pitch after the final last year? Doubt they would have spent more than 10 minutes if the pitch was full of fans.

At the end of the day, not having a pitch invasion allows for more dignified celebrations and also shows respect to the players involved. I don't understand how anyone could see it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

LeftBlank wrote: »
    I don't think it would work because there'd always be at least one person who can't wait 10 minutes, and once one or two get on then all bets are off.

Remember when Dublin spent more than an hour on the pitch after the final last year? Doubt they would have spent more than 10 minutes if the pitch was full of fans.

At the end of the day, not having a pitch invasion allows for more dignified celebrations and also shows respect to the players involved. I don't understand how anyone could see it differently.
    With regard to your 1st point obviously youd have to come down hard on those and if it didnt work then abandon idea forever.
    2nd point suppose its a matter of opinion-i happen to think its nice that we gaa supporters have our own thing bit different to other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

There was no problem with spectators going on to the pitch in Thurles last Saturday night or in Clones when Donegal won the last 2 Ulster Finals. Nobody raised any objection, but it seems to be different in Croke Park. Christy Cooney was the GAA President who pushed this idea and I do not think it will last much longer. I expect to see it gone from Croke Park as well as all other grounds in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Don 1985

At neither game was there 50,000 fans attempting to make their way onto the pitch. It was on a far smaller scale with far less danger. Neither was right, and it sickens me to the pit of my stomach that you seem to revel in your carry on. I feel sorry for the players on both occasions who didnt get the opportunity take the occasion in properly. But hey, you had your fun, thats all that matters I guess.

Cormac, having read this thread I'm getting a vibe that you are a player that has taken part in All Ireland finals ?? If not then most of your points are merely speculation at to what the players want and your bullish attitude in trying to get your point across is nothing short of pig ignorant.

Most players grow up dreaming of winning All Irelands,in these dreams they picture themselves being lifted on the shoulders of these fans after victory, being carried from the field by the fans,to then take their place in the Hogan Stand to watch their captain lift the Sam McGuire/Liam McCarthy and see the sea of green and gold/black and amber/maroon and white/blue and navy or what ever county that may have won. They then get to lift the cup themselves and hear the roar of the crowd down below on the field and take in every last moment . Do you think during the euphoria of having fulfilled your goal at the start of the year, a goal that you have dedicated your entire year to that having fans coming in and congratulating you be it by slapping you on the back, hugging you, that you are going to be pissed off with these fans ?? Fans or yahoos as you refer to them as that have supported you through thick and thin, when times were good and when times were bad. If you do then you really need to get real Cormac.

Never seen such a self opinionated rant from a poster on boards.ie in all my time on this site. You must realise Cormac that not everyone is going to agree with you, it isnt your Mammy your having a discussion with you know. This is a site where each person has a right to express their opinion.

With regard to your 1st point obviously youd have to come down hard on those and if it didnt work then abandon idea forever.

How would you propose to "come down hard" on these people?
    2nd point suppose its a matter of opinion-i happen to think its nice that we gaa supporters have our own thing bit different to other sports.

There is plenty different in the GAA compared to other sports without the need for pitch invasions. Are you honestly saying that you would prefer if the winning team disappeared down the tunnel with the trophy 5 minutes after getting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I reckon "plan B " will be in operation no matter who wins on Sunday ;)

Advertisement