Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

186 / 187 Skilled Select (Permanent Nominated)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks.
    I wonder how much an agent would charge to check for completion and sign the form. As in applicant dies all the work and gets everything in order as per the decision ready checklist.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

I asked an agent in Sydney the same question and he said he would charge the full cost. So $3000. At the time I couldnt justify paying that amount when I could do it myself but if I was doing it again, Id use an agent due to the length of time involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Mellor wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I wonder how much an agent would charge to check for completion and sign the form. As in applicant dies all the work and gets everything in order as per the decision ready checklist.

Yeah it's breaking my heart to pay 3500 to a agent basically to sign a form but I need a DR application cause my WHV expires in August and I need to be onshore when I apply.

It a bit of a gimmick if you ask me but, 7500+$ to have PR is worth it I think over the course of your lifetime.

Yeah Id use an agent then. A friend of mine is an RN and has a very straightforward case- she submitted her Nomination in Dec and she hasnt heard anything yet.

Its worth paying the money for an agent if your going to stay in Oz for a good while. I found it hard to justify as we are undecided if we are going to stay in Oz after another 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 eoindoyle_syd

rightyabe wrote: »
    Yeah it's breaking my heart to pay 3500 to a agent basically to sign a form but I need a DR application cause my WHV expires in August and I need to be onshore when I apply.

It a bit of a gimmick if you ask me but, 7500+$ to have PR is worth it I think over the course of your lifetime.

Yea, it does feed right into the agents hands and I expect you will hear a lot of agents requiring full payment only to submit forms after their assistant spends 2 or 3 hours reviewing them. $1000/hr ain't bad!

However just because your WHV is expiring you don't need an agent (or a DR application). You can still submit an onshore application yourself. You will have to wait longer to be assigned a case officer but you will have a bridging visa to keep working.

• Advertisement

Yea, it does feed right into the agents hands and I expect you will hear a lot of agents requiring full payment only to submit forms after their assistant spends 2 or 3 hours reviewing them. $1000/hr ain't bad!

However just because your WHV is expiring you don't need an agent (or a DR application). You can still submit an onshore application yourself. You will have to wait longer to be assigned a case officer but you will have a bridging visa to keep working.

Yeah I could do it myself but I'm very impatient and just want it over ASAP. I know a couple how were waiting for 15 months for their RSMS and it took a lot out of them waiting for news every minute of every day. $3,500 for peace of mind split between me and my missus over the course of a few years is not a lot really.

A question..can my company lodge a nomination while still waiting on RCB approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Guys,

It isn't as simply as just signing your name to the decision ready form.
    You need to go through the application to confirm for yourself that everything is right. If the information doesn't add up, if information is missing etc it is the migration agent's name that is associated with the file and its 3 strikes and your out. Any other DR applications would not be accepted from that agent.

Hence it is the agent's responsibility to ensure that the application is correct and meets the decision ready criteria before submission so a full review of the application is required.

PS, since you are asking, Visafirst's fees are
    AUD 1950 sponsorship
    AUD 3250 permanent residency visa (189, 190, 186, 187)
    They have a price promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Is it likely that a fee for de facto is going to be introduced after July 1 on the 186/187 visas? If so I think I might have to rush and get an application lodged!!

How long would it take to get a position nomination approved? I am currently on a 457 so my position has been nominated and approved previously would this aid the process in any way?

Can I lodge my application for a 186 visa after the position has been nominated but has not yet been approved?

Think I should really apply prior to the introduction of the rumoured de facto fees.

Cheers

Laoisforliam

Guys,

It isn't as simply as just signing your name to the decision ready form.
    I wasn't suggestion that it was simply a signiture.
    You need to go through the application to confirm for yourself that everything is right. If the information doesn't add up, if information is missing etc it is the migration agent's name that is associated with the file and its 3 strikes and your out. Any other DR applications would not be accepted from that agent.
    Of course.
    There's a checklist and you have to be sure that they have everything in order. I fully accept this takes time, which the agent should be paid for.
    Hence it is the agent's responsibility to ensure that the application is correct and meets the decision ready criteria before submission so a full review of the application is required
    This I don't accept.
    There's no way that say that reviewing a complete application totals the same amount if work as holding hands with a person with nothing prepared from start to finish. If companies want to have set service prices, that's fine. Obviously. But I think it's silly I pretend its the same work involved.

As my visa is running out my agent is suggesting I go for a 457 now and then get a 187 at a later date.

I'm wondering if I get a 457 now how soon can I apply for a 187 and what route? Transition route or could I still go the direct entry route?

• Advertisement

rightyabe wrote: »
    As my visa is running out my agent is suggesting I go for a 457 now and then get a 187 at a later date.

I'm wondering if I get a 457 now how soon can I apply for a 187 and what route? Transition route or could I still go the direct entry route?

Hi Rightyabe,

You can apply for the 187 as soon as you want to apply for it - either temporary stream if working with the employer for 2 years or direct entry if you have a skills assessment in place.

In both cases, you need documents for the visa application (applicant) and the employer's part (sponsorship and /or nomination).

If all the documents are in order, and you meet the requirements for direct entry, you would be better off applying for the 187 visa direct as then you don't have to apply for 2 separate visa applications and you/the employer incurring the costs of 2 separate applications.

Declan Clune

Thanks Declan.

Yeah it would be handier to apply now but 2 weeks advertising plus up to a 9 week wait for RCB approval is 11 weeks until I could lodge a visa. That would mean the end of July, I have until August the 12th.

Plus my employer is very slack.

Is it likely that a fee for de facto is going to be introduced after July 1 on the 186/187 visas? If so I think I might have to rush and get an application lodged!!

How long would it take to get a position nomination approved? I am currently on a 457 so my position has been nominated and approved previously would this aid the process in any way?

Can I lodge my application for a 186 visa after the position has been nominated but has not yet been approved?

Think I should really apply prior to the introduction of the rumoured de facto fees.

Cheers

Laoisforliam

Hi Laoisforliam,

We are expecting that DIAC is introducing fees to have dependents included on all PR applications but I don't expect it is be as much as the fee for the primary applicant.

Decision Ready applications are given highest priority but only migration agents can submit these.
    The nomination approavl you have from the 457 visa is totall separate from the nomination required for the 186 visa.

If the application is submitted prior to any fee changes, then the new fee changes will not affect your application but it is more important to ensure that you have the correct documentation in place.

If you are very concerned about the fees, the applciation could be lodged and some additional documents added later but teh case officer does not have to accept these. This will not be valid for a decision ready application though.

Thanks
    Declan Clune

Getting my documents together for this now. I'll be putting together both the nomination and my application.

Just looking at the checklist for each.

Nomination
    Contract
    Proof of equivalent salary

Proof of Training
    Payment summarys
    PAYG statements
    Leave records

Application
    Copy of Passport
    Copy of birth cert or identification
    Defacto evidence

Health requirement

Character requirement.
    Police check
    Form 80 Personal particulars for assessment

Skills (included in nomination)
    English language ability (passport)

So that appears to be the list for me, other might need more or less documents.
    A few questions to those who had applied already, ideally under the transition scheme.

Copies of Passport, birth cert or identification wwtc.
    Can I simply go to a JP to get these certified?.

Health requirement
    Am I correct in thinking that I apply first, then at the end of the application I get a link to start the heath assessment, where I enter my TRN etc?

Garda/Police check. How do I go about getting a character check from the guards at home? how much? How long did it take etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Copies of Passport, birth cert or identification wwtc.
    Can I simply go to a JP to get these certified?.

Garda/Police check. How do I go about getting a character check from the guards at home? how much? How long did it take etc?

If you are applying online, there is no need to get documents certified provided they are coloured scans.

Easiest way to get Garda check is to get someone at home to go to local Superintendent's Station and get the form, fill it out, bring it back etc. Should only take a couple of weeks and is free.

I filled out this form, posted it to my Dad. He went to the local Garda Station and they posted it back out to me- it took about 3 weeks.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/10167/177726.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

I’ve recently got a call about a job I applied for and they want me to come and meet them to discuss my visa situation. I have a masters in Planning and its a planning job everything Is above board. The company don't know much about visas but are willing to listen to my application provided there is not too much hassle with a visa. I’m currently on a WHV and if I get this job it would be a permanent contract so a 457 may not be substantial enough. Is the 186 visa my/our easiest route?

EDIT: or is 457 then 186 the easiest route?

Danotroy, its unlikely that the company will offer to sponser you straight away for permanent residency. The 457 will work fine with a permanent contract. People usually go the 457 route first, then 186.

statina wrote: »
    Danotroy, its unlikely that the company will offer to sponser you straight away for permanent residency. The 457 will work fine with a permanent contract. People usually go the 457 route first, then 186.

I know its unlikely, however it is a council job. They have given various people I know in different departments permanent resident visas and the team leader that is recruiting is going to meet with her superior to discuss the visa options.

Push it if you can but to go down the 186 route, you have to have a positive skills assessment and evidence of 3 full years of work experience.

Or you have to be sponsored with your employer for two years and you can skip above.

• Advertisement

Push it if you can but to go down the 186 route, you have to have a positive skills assessment and evidence of 3 full years of work experience.

Or you have to be sponsored with your employer for two years and you can skip above.

That answers my question I do not have 3 years full experience. So it will have to be 457 then take it from here. I can spin it as some sort of advantage to them where by its like they have me for 4 years and if they aren't satisfied with my performance they can let me go. Rather than having me for 40 years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been asked already.

I have been in Australia for 5 months, and have been working for the past 2 months for an IT company. I haven't done any Regional work. The company I work for don't sponsor, so I am thinking of applying for residency. Has anyone here done this? How much would it roughly cost and how long does it take (providing I'm successfull!). Also, I have a B Sc Degree from back home.

Thanks a million,
    Cathal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The mega thread is a sticky: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056505082
    it contains lots of info - but it is old
    and here is a more recent one
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056754586

If you do a bit of research (start at the immi site) you;ll find most of your info.

Sadly my employer has decided that there isn't enough time for the 187 and is putting me on a 457 instead, they have said that they will put me on the 187 "sometime in the future" im pretty sure it'll be after 2 years to be honest even thou they said the 457 is just a quick fix for me. Ah well, could be worse I guess, as long as I don't have to go home i'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been asked already.

I have been in Australia for 5 months, and have been working for the past 2 months for an IT company. I haven't done any Regional work. The company I work for don't sponsor, so I am thinking of applying for residency. Has anyone here done this? How much would it roughly cost and how long does it take (providing I'm successfull!). Also, I have a B Sc Degree from back home.

Thanks a million,
    Cathal

I thought you need to be in the country 2 years before you can get PR?

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    I thought you need to be in the country 2 years before you can get PR?
    Nope. Why would you.

You can get PR from outside Australia without ever having been to Australia. That's what a skills visa is.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

I think alot of people mistake the 2 years requirement working with your sponsoring employer on a 457 to avoid the skills assessment with having to be here for 2 years to get PR

so many people I meet think they have to have been in Australia for 2 years before they can apply and every time I explain it to any of them, the normal response is "I don't think you are right about that" so I gave up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Nope. Why would you.

You can get PR from outside Australia without ever having been to Australia. That's what a skills visa is.

Ah ok, didn't realise that was the skilled visa. But that takes approx 18 months to get so not much use to someone on a WHV as you'd have to leave the country before you get it.

Agree completely Legend!

The route of having 3 years fulltime experience and obtaining a positive skills assessment is obviously way less known. It gets fair annoying when people say you cant do that when this is how I have got my permanent residency!!

• Advertisement

You can apply for and employer nominated residency visa (ENS) too, from inside or outside oz. After a day here or after 4 years here. You'll get a bridging visa until a decision is made.

Being here two years doesn't give you any extra options for permanent residency. All the same visas are there.
    Two years on a 457, and only a 457 (2 years on a WHV changes nothing), means when you apply for an ENS, you can skip the skills assessment and a few other minor parts.
    The route of having 3 years fulltime experience and obtaining a positive skills assessment is obviously way less known. It gets fair annoying when people say you cant do that when this is how I have got my permanent residency!!
    I doubt its less well know, its the normal way and probably the most common by a large margin.
    The 2 years talk comes from people who don't know what they are talking about giving advice down the pub or two their mates. see Legends quote "I don't think you are right about that" or the posts that appear weekly that start with "My mate said..."

Advertisement