Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bayonetta 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Never got a chance to play the original Bayonetta but got the Special Edition with both games. Started playing the 2nd one first last night but seemed to be a fair amount of story carrying on from the first game. Would I be better off playing the games in order?

Fairly limited in my game playing time per week these days if that helps with the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Never got a chance to play the original Bayonetta but got the Special Edition with both games. Started playing the 2nd one first last night but seemed to be a fair amount of story carrying on from the first game. Would I be better off playing the games in order?

Fairly limited in my game playing time per week these days if that helps with the answer!
    I'd still say yes. Even if you ignore the story aspect, the gameplay has been noticeably refined since the first game and playing them in order would definitely allow you to appreciate each one based on its own merits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished on 3rd Climax there (if you have yet to start playing, play on 3rd rather than the easier options) and what to say other than it was absolutely fantastic. There were enough fresh twists, setpieces and mechanics introduced throughout to keep everything lively and unpredictable. I loved how intense the dueling boss fights were, really keep you on your toes.

Overall, I reckon it was quite a bit easier than the first game - I jumped straight in on hard and there was only one fight I found particularly difficult - oddly enough it was one of the
    totally optional fights in hell, where you fight two of the winged balls and the super powerful sword wielding guy.
    I got through every Muspelheim challenge I found during the first round (although I do kind of hate the don't touch the ground ones :p), whereas in the first I found some very difficult indeed and occasionally insurmountable. Curious to give Infinite Climax a go and see how I get on.

It's worth noting how smart some of the design choices still are, even if some have carried over from the first. I love that you're able to test moves and items out before purchasing, for example - when many games force you to make game-changing decisions based on nothing but text (often before you've even had a chance to play), it's great to know exactly what commitment you're making here.

Art and character design is wonderful throughout. While there are a few moments of needless hypersexualisation -
    another pole dance at the end!
    - 99% of the time I had no issue whatsoever with the way Bayonetta was portrayed. The most frequent phrase you hear out of her is determined '**** off!' - she takes no **** from anyone or anything, and crucially she enjoys her power and dominance in a way few other game characters do. She is one of the boldest, most unique characters in all of gaming.

I always felt Bayonetta 2 was in no way mandatory, given how perfectly realised the first was. But this is a delightful sequel - a clever and carefully judged refinement of what was already there. If this is the end of the Bayonetta franchise, so be it - it's a miracle this exists and is as good as it is. I won't for a second be disappointed if we don't see another, given how satisfying and complete Bayonetta 2 feels. But hey, if some company with more money than financial sense cares to fund another, I won't complain either;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wonder if Sony and MS will throw money at Platinum for the sequel?
    Maybe Nintendo will continue the trend and throw Suda 51 a few bob for something insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Anyone had a crack at the Witch Trials? I did the first four last night and had a decent crack at the fifth before giving up for now, I'll try again when I have a chance next week.

I'm loving the new weapons, especially the chainsaws on hands and feet, they do crazy damage and look really slick too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

My Wii U chugs like a beast during the cutscenes in Bayonetta 1, great port though, I haven't noticed much of the screen tearing that was all over the place in the 360 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Struggling through the first Bayonetta, too many stone trophies. :(

Enjoying it immensely though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I wonder if Sony and MS will throw money at Platinum for the sequel?
    Maybe Nintendo will continue the trend and throw Suda 51 a few bob for something insane.

I found suda 51 games to be getting abit worse as of late , after the no more heroes and it sequels and killer 7 I found only lollipop chainsaw to be the most unique. Shadow of the damned was fun but not memorable and I have not touched killer is dead I think it was called but heard it was not that great.

Who knows if there ps4 exclusive game be any good , I hope so .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Star Lord wrote: »
    Struggling through the first Bayonetta, too many stone trophies. :(

Enjoying it immensely though!

Same as myself. Still not liking all the QTEs during boss fights though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Every game should have chainsaw skating

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found suda 51 games to be getting abit worse as of late , after the no more heroes and it sequels and killer 7 I found only lollipop chainsaw to be the most unique. Shadow of the damned was fun but not memorable and I have not touched killer is dead I think it was called but heard it was not that great.

Who knows if there ps4 exclusive game be any good , I hope so .

Killer is Dead isn't really a Suda 51 game though.

Is this game playable with the standard Wii U game-pad or do you need to get the pro-controller?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Both work. Not really got a preference since both are fantastic controllers that work just as well with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Is this game playable with the standard Wii U game-pad or do you need to get the pro-controller?

Its playable on both, stupid thing is though is that the gamepad still needs to be on if using the pro pad.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Both work. Not really got a preference since both are fantastic controllers that work just as well with the game.

Are you using the touhscreen controls or the buttons? Just played the First hour of Bayonetta 1 and decided against the touch screen.

I'd advice against the GamePad. It's perfectly fine but just that little bit too clunky for the rapid response needed for the game. Falls down a bit in the trigger / shoulder department. If you have an alternative, I for one would recommend trying it although you won't suffer that much if not. I'm using my old Wii Controller Pro (which is a thoroughly mediocre piece of equipment) and prefer it to the GamePad just for sheer comfort, even without vibration.

Touch controls are sacrilege definitely though :p

I'd advice against the GamePad. It's perfectly fine but just that little bit too clunky for the rapid response needed for the game. Falls down a bit in the trigger / shoulder department. If you have an alternative, I for one would recommend trying it although you won't suffer that much if not. I'm using my old Wii Controller Pro (which is a thoroughly mediocre piece of equipment) and prefer it to the GamePad just for sheer comfort, even without vibration.

Touch controls are sacrilege definitely though :p

Won't be getting one of those controllers any time soon. Considering I dropped 300 on the lot today. I'll stick with buttons for now.

Have to say bayonetta 1 is ****ing mental. Cutscenes are just mad. The music is even more mental. Combat feels excellent.

The short combat sections
    during the credits
    drove me mad today when I was trying to get a higher ranking for the final boss. Got through it eventually, but a pain to have to play through them every time. Thankfully the boss is excellent enough to justify the extra playthroughs :)
    Bracelet of Time unlocked anyway, so halo farming we will go.

Gave the last boss a go on second climax out of curiosity, and man it's like a whole different game. Again, if you haven't started or only played through on 2nd, give third a go. It's challenging at times but absolutely fair (overall I found it much more approachable than the later difficulties in the first), and the battles are so much more involving when the enemies hit harder and the player's room for error is reduced.

Picking my way through the extras now. Witch Trials are great, got through the first two on first attempts (although was working on a fraction of health due to an engraged mid-boss during the second) and am expecting things to escalate in the third! Multiplayer I'm not sure about, seems too manic to get a really good grip on what's happening. Will give it another few goes anyway.

Digging the dual chainsaws for sheer force, although am a big fan of the scythe too due to its devastating area of effect (especially during Umbran Climax). Haven't experimented much with Undine or the whip yet, must give 'em a proper go. Wasn't a big fan of the bow though...

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Are you using the touhscreen controls or the buttons? Just played the First hour of Bayonetta 1 and decided against the touch screen.

Jaysus, I cann't believe you even considered touch screen controls! Buttons all the way!

Jaysus, I cann't believe you even considered touch screen controls! Buttons all the way!

Yep :o

Only issue I have is the Right Analogue stick is in a weird position so when I have to turn the camera I have to lift my hand from some of the buttons...if that makes sense.

Anyway I'm on Chapter 11 in Bayonetta 1. Loving it so far. Some of the Bosses are epic.

• Advertisement

Ah I see your problem. When I'm playing I don't use the camera at all in fights. I've been trained too well by the Ninja Gaiden games which had awful cameras so you have to use other visual/aural/near psychic cues to telegraph enemy attacks. Bayonetta is pretty good about that with good aural cues of attacks which I listen out for. If I do need the camera I find the shoulder buttons far more useful to centre the camera or lock on since you don't have to have to take your fingers off the buttons.

Even if you get a pro controller later on you'll have the same problem. Play the game more, become one with the game, enter that zen state and then you'll be grand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

I tried it on the demo, it's like mashing your fingers into the gamepad buttons, or about as effective at least.
    Didn't seem controllable to me, but I did get better results :p

I don't care what anyone says, the gamepad is always the best controller, because it has a screen.
    Got an extra hour into bayonetta 1 because of it when I should've been sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Finally started Bayonetta 1.
    I had about 20 minutes to play it.
    6 of them were gameplay and the rest was the kind of movie the Horror Channel would be embarrassed to show.
    Does the ratio of game : cutscene become more favourable as you progress?

Also, what were they thinking giving you a tutorial AFTER your first fight through the credits? My hands have been firmly set to "Mash", there's no point showing me combos now!

Still a lot of stupid, mindless fun - compared to the likes of Hyrule Warriors, where you exhaust the combo possibilities about 45 seconds into a 15 minute round, there's a huge amount of depth should you overcome Mashmania. The whiplash camera action makes motion-sickness kick in long before you can get offended by all the digiflesh on show, assuming you don't blink while the lens zooms past it, so my wife will never know I'm a pervgamer! Hurray!

Banjo wrote: »
    Still a lot of stupid, mindless fun

Wait until later on or the tougher difficulty levels. You won't get away with mindelss.

Wait until later on or the tougher difficulty levels. You won't get away with mindelss.

Hope you've actually finished the game this time ;)

Amazed it has taken so many until now to play the first game. Obviously it didn't set retail on fire, but they made the right move including the original if so many of y'all never got around to it.

Amazed it has taken so many until now to play the first game. Obviously it didn't set retail on fire, but they made the right move including the original if so many of y'all never got around to it.

The reception Bayonetta 2 received sold the system to me. The fact that I never played the first one and the chance to get both in a bundle was the icing on the cake. Very smart move by the publishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I had played the first one, briefly, before now. I got distracted by something else and never went back to it. Playing it on Wii U now and really enjoying it, although I really suck at these types of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I didn't play it because I never had an Xbox, and was put off by reports of the PS3 port being really bad.

Must say I'm glad I waited till now - by all accounts, the Wii U seems to be the best format to play it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I know what you mean - I meant more in the way I played it than the way it's meant to be played - I haven't figured out my way around the audio cues or attack patterns so Witch Time is a bonus, not a way of life yet :)

• Advertisement

I got pretty far in it and got sidetracked by something so a good excuse to finally play through it since my 360 doesn't get played much at all anymore.

Advertisement