Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICC T20 World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

if there is one positive to be taken, it's the wins over Zimbabwe & Bangladesh in the warm-up games, showing ourselves again as the "best of the rest".

Not sure it is a positive....winning warm-up games that is.....Wouldn't read too much into that given that Ireland were beaten 3-0 by Bangladesh at home in an official T20 series only a couple of months ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Bang V Pak on at the moment looks like a good one. Bang need to beat Pak by 30 something to go through. Currently going at over 9/o and only 2 down.

Would be nice to see at least one of the big names knocked out (I wouldn't consider Bangladesh a big name).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What a finish to Sri Lanka v New Zealand match, the tournament badly needed that

Jesus that is some first over even by Englands standards.

0WW000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Eoin Morgan tearing it up here, although was that the best 6 save ever just now by Russell?

Went out after about 5 overs into England's innings and it looks like I missed the excitement.

You have to question why Morgan is in at 5. Yeah he went through a bad patch and lost his test place but to have him at 5 is mental.

Also Hales. Should he even be in the side, let alone opening? Oh yeah I forgot, he's Broads BFF. A straight swap of Morgan and Hales in the order would improve England greatly.

Still fancy the Windies to do well. Not sure who'll be the other team from this group in the semi.

That Morgs innings was something special....pity it came in a losing cause

Why do England continue to persist with the likes of Kieswetter?!.......Bring back Prior and of course KP as well please and England will be a half decent team!

Two good games today as the World Cup finally takes off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Rjd2 wrote: »

I should have put a bet on that happening....wait it was Pakistan....;)

HonalD wrote: »
    I should have put a bet on that happening....wait it was Pakistan....;)

Yeah when you have the Akmals in the team its natural to be very skeptical. In the field the Pakistanis were a bit pedestrian, enough to make me suspicious.

Phil Brown got a good shot of this drop. Shocker.

wPE9Z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Rascasse wrote: »
    Went out after about 5 overs into England's innings and it looks like I missed the excitement.

You have to question why Morgan is in at 5. Yeah he went through a bad patch and lost his test place but to have him at 5 is mental.

Also Hales. Should he even be in the side, let alone opening? Oh yeah I forgot, he's Broads BFF. A straight swap of Morgan and Hales in the order would improve England greatly.

Still fancy the Windies to do well. Not sure who'll be the other team from this group in the semi.

they moved him down because they need someone to score quickly at the end

TheDrog wrote: »
    they moved him down because they need someone to score quickly at the end

Pretty pointless if you have a habit of losing early wickets. Looking at the order now after KP's (and Cook, Bell & Ravi's) departure you have a load of kids with little experience. Early wickets = big pressure on those that come in 3rd/4th/5th = more wickets.

Move Eoin up to opener. Move Broad ahead of Patel too.

Finally, BRING BACK KP.

SA lose a match they should have won comfortably.....no surprises there then.....some great hitting by a no:10 against some rubbish death bowling by SA

India on the other hand looked about as hopeless as England did the other nite

Australia and Pakistan look the best two teams so far

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

booth70 wrote: »
    SA lose a match they should have won comfortably.....no surprises there then.....some great hitting by a no:10 against some rubbish death bowling by SA

India on the other hand looked about as hopeless as England did the other nite

Australia and Pakistan look the best two teams so far

No idea why AB did not have Duminy and Botha bowl instead of "all rounder" Albie and Kallis in the last few overs. Both spinners had kept it really tight.

Oh and Afridi's "innings":P

Impressive from Australia, Watson is playing amazing these days.

The Pak v SA was probably the best one I've seen so far. SA really looked off against the Pakistan bowlers going at about 4 an over before managing to push to 133. At that point I thought Pak would make that with overs to spare only to see them pretty much collapse too. Great partnership by Akmal and and Gul to save it in the last few overs. Fun match to watch.

SL v Windies pick of todays matches. Should be a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Kieswetter out without offering too much resistance again, might be time for England to rethink their wicketkeeper position now.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Kieswetter out without offering too much resistance again, might be time for England to rethink their wicketkeeper position now.

I agree 100%. Kieswetter not played well in a while and with Bairstow isn't a bad keep.

From Cricinfo, Kieswetters last 10 innings (all this month):

4 v New Zealand
    0 v West Indies
    35 v India
    0 v Afghanistan
    10 v Pakistan
    8 v Australia
    50 v South Africa
    1 v South Africa
    25 v South Africa
    33 v South Africa

6 out of 10 he scored 10 or less and only single 50. Not good enough as an opening batsman and his glove work leaves a lot to be desired too.

Australia v South Africa should be a cracker......SA need to win to stay in the competition I think.....SA to bat first

India v Pakistan looks a great match up as always on paper....but India have been an absolute shambles both with their batting and bowling and since winning the T20 World cup in 2007 have yet to win a Super 8 match!....can't see them turning over Pakistan but I suppose I can live in hope!

94/5 in the 16th.....Awful batting from SA today.....need their bowlers to come up with something special

Shane Watson having a great tournament. India and SA out if Pakistan win.

• Advertisement

India have won their first Super Eight game since the IPL began in 2008!

Surprised that India did not try and finish this game off quicker to try and improve their Net Run Rate.....There could still be a 3 way tie for 2nd place in this group if Australia beat Pakistan and SA beat India on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Rascasse wrote: »
    I agree 100%. Kieswetter not played well in a while and with Bairstow isn't a bad keep.

From Cricinfo, Kieswetters last 10 innings (all this month):

4 v New Zealand
    0 v West Indies
    35 v India
    0 v Afghanistan
    10 v Pakistan
    8 v Australia
    50 v South Africa
    1 v South Africa
    25 v South Africa
    33 v South Africa

6 out of 10 he scored 10 or less and only single 50. Not good enough as an opening batsman and his glove work leaves a lot to be desired too.

Wouldn't be surprised if he makes way if and when KP comes back, both Bairstow and Buttler can keep, alternatively one of those 2 will be dropped and he'll bat well down the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

booth70 wrote: »
    India have won their first Super Eight game since the IPL began in 2008!

Surprised that India did not try and finish this game off quicker to try and improve their Net Run Rate.....There could still be a 3 way tie for 2nd place in this group if Australia beat Pakistan and SA beat India on Tuesday

Had no hopes on the game but was surprised by how well we played.Spinners did the trick, Yuvi was very good for part timer but it was Ashwin who was the star in the bowling.

On batting, I have never seen a batsman as comfortable as Kohli playing Ajmal. He read every ball very early, he had so much time as he read the ball from the hand rather than pitch. It was great to watch.

After the match, KP said he will ask Kohli how he picked up the ball so early, wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Finally we won first super 8 match and kept our record against Pak going. They have never beaten India in world cup game :D

NZ out. Can't help feeling like they choked.

Eng V Sri Lanka now. England need to win to go through (wouldn't count on it).

Edit: Kieswetter dropped along with Bresnan and Briggs. Bopara, Dernbach and Patel are in.

Well Derbach and Patel were fairly awful, but then not many England players can hold their heads high. A shame they didn't defend their trophy with a bit more spirit.

England's form in all forms of the game hasn't been great recently, doesn't bode well for upcoming series.

Well Derbach and Patel were fairly awful....

Bit harsh on Patel no? He did score nearly half of Englands runs and had an entertaining partnership with Swann.

Well Derbach and Patel were fairly awful, but then not many England players can hold their heads high. A shame they didn't defend their trophy with a bit more spirit.

Well if Patel with 67 off 48 was awful dunno how you would rate the perfomance of the other 10 players in the team!!:(.....unless of course you actually meant to say Dernbach and Bopara!!

Meanwhile one of the two perenially overhyped teams in every world cup i.e SA are out and I reckon they will knock the other one...i.e India out tonite as well

Still consider Patel is picked as a bowler, and he bowled pies. Bit maybe it was a bit harsh.

Time for Dhoni to be sacked as Indian captain......they needed to defend 121 today and who does he bowl....Rohit Sharma ahead of his premier spinner Ashwin:mad::mad:

Hopefully the likes of Gambhir and Sehwag never play a T20 international for India again

Both India and SA have been hopeless all tournament and have been rightfully sent packing

So it will be Aus v WI and Pakistan v SL.....The best four teams are in the semi finals IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

1 bad day against Aussies and we are out of the WC. :(

Advertisement