Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICC T20 World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Rascasse wrote: »
    When England played earlier in the year they were charging £25 a ticket to the tourists and £2.50 a ticket to the locals. England fans were up in arms over the disparity but to me it makes sense for the rich to support the poor.

The ICC know that these are poor countries so why not in the first round let people in for €1 or €2. Seems pointless playing in empty stadiums.

The cheapest tickets are around that price! Did you check at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Who is the Aussie commentator? He just said "That's very 'Irish', being 20 and playing in a under 19s World Cup".

Nice to see an empty stadium. Didn't that happen in the West Indies too? Charging €40 a ticket in a developing country leaves you with an empty stadiums and no atmosphere. Lets hope they learn the lesson before Bangladesh in 2 years.

In fairness to Sri Lanka the ticket prices are very very cheap, I was thinking of going and I think the second best tickets were like €8, maybe €15 at most for the best and that's for a double header too.

That dopey Oz commentator should have checked the rules for the under-19 WC before coming out with that, think a few of his countrymen were the same age as Dockrell too.

The eligibility rules are slightly different for the Associate countries. They are allowed to play U-20 players in the U-19 World Cup. Even if George were playing for one of the Full Members he still would have met their U-19 eligibility criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

When England played earlier in the year they were charging £25 a ticket to the tourists and £2.50 a ticket to the locals. England fans were up in arms over the disparity but to me it makes sense for the rich to support the poor.

The ICC know that these are poor countries so why not in the first round let people in for €1 or €2. Seems pointless playing in empty stadiums.

The cheapest tickets are around that price! Did you check at all?

Why would I check? One would ssume that in a country where cricket is the big sport the chance to spend an evening watching Australia & India play cricket would get more than a few hundred locals in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Why would I check? One would ssume that in a country where cricket is the big sport the chance to spend an evening watching Australia & India play cricket would get more than a few hundred locals in.

I dunno, maybe to have some facts to bolster your argument?:rolleyes:

Prices are cheap, but if Sri Lanka aren't playing they're not too bothered.

What on earth was Rauf thinking there? Even on my poxy TV you could see the huge inside edge on that.

No reviews thanks to India.

Afghans going to run out of men, again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Impressed with that performance from Afghanistan, I think they will definitely give England a game.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah it was a good performance from Afghanistan, pity they just collapsed a bit at one point.

I wouldnt be surprised if Afghanistan continue to struggle to get games against full members if they keep playing so well. If I was Bangla or Zim I certainly wouldnt want to play them too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Impressed with that performance from Afghanistan, I think they will definitely give England a game.

England unlike India have quality bowlers so no England should batter them really.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    dooferoaks wrote: »

England unlike India have quality bowlers so no England should batter them really.

Watching it it looked like the indians couldn't be bothered/going through the motions. The Afghanis wouldn't be a bad side if they could just hold on to their wickets a bit longer. Should be a comfortable England win tomorrow. Bang v NZ tomorrow too - probably the better match to watch.

Horrible fielding by the Afghans. England cruising to 170+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Well I thought it might be a closeish game but as most here have said, I have been proved wrong and its going to be a VERY comfortable win for England.

Afghanistan 17 for 3 chasing 197 to win

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Associates really doing themselves no favours in this tournament to date :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

KevIRL wrote: »
    Associates really doing themselves no favours in this tournament to date :(

Yes indeed. The Associates need to play excellently and hope for a slip up by opponents.

There is more scope in a ODI - more pressure in T20 when not scoring or not taking wickets.

Nice little rally there from Afghanistan to go from 28-8 to finish on 80.

Yeah really didn't look they'd get half that when 8 down.

Looking forward to tomorrow. Aus v Windies. If I were a betting man I'd have a small flutter on the Windies to win the tournament. Should be a good one.

Looking like something of a boost for Ireland. Aussies ahead on D/L with the rain pelting down. They are 100-1 off 9.1 overs chasing 192 to win, but rain has stopped play, they have just 20 mins more to get back out there.

If they stay off then it will be a straight shootout between The Windies and Ireland on Monday for second place in the group. Chris Gayle and the Windies batting looking scarey though

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

Yep, I think they knock of an over every 4 mins. Probably the most exciting game so far. Shame to go to DL And there it's called . Aussies win by 17 runs. Shane Watson MON

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

Another shocking start

Porterfield's 5th first-baller in 28 innings this year according to cricketeurope.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Match abandoned now, and that ends Ireland's T20 World cup this year..

Follows a similar pattern from the 2010 T20 world cup where Ireland were denied by rain (and England who barely squeezed through but improved a great deal to win the tournament)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

FUCK YOU RAIN!!

first you ruin our summer..
    ..then you knock us out of the cricket.. AGAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Anyone else feel that there is a little bit of a conspiracy against us:mad:

Vic Marks, BBC Test Match Special
    "Don't let the Irish hear this, but the tournment organisers will be pleased that the Windies will go through to the Super Eights, but it's not by the right route."

Good to see the ICC getting plenty of stick for organising this during one of the rainy seasons in Sri Lanka. October is the 2nd wettest month of the year so plenty of D/L in the Super 8s then. Clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

It's been a rubbish World Cup so far dominated by rain and one sided matches.....hopefully the super 8's will be more interesting.....weather permitting:(

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

The weather is a shame. A world cup is supposed to be the pinicle of the format, but has been reduced to abandoned games, single digit overs-a-side matches and even T20 d/l method results, all in whats supposed to be the fast paced, quick, exiting format of the game. The relatively poor attendances show the effect this has had. As said above sadly for us the WIndies are through so all the big names will be in the super 8's so hopefully that'll kick start the tournament and vindicate the tournament organizers, though that's for the weather to decide....

I think the weather is also responsible for a missed opportunity from our perspective. There is always a little boost in profile when we comeback with at least one decent result from a tournament, however today a rain affected elimination from the tournament did little to put the team/sport on the general public's radar, though in the build up I did notice a slight increase in general awareness of the tournament, just would've been nice to have something to help carry on that momentum.

Surely it cant be to hard to have a reserve day for every match in a T20 tournament.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Surely it cant be to hard to have a reserve day for every match in a T20 tournament.

No because they'd rather have the top teams play each other over and over in a long, drawn out super 8s stage :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yeah, there's a definitely still a whole "us" and "them" feel about the tournament.

if there is one positive to be taken, it's the wins over Zimbabwe & Bangladesh in the warm-up games, showing ourselves again as the "best of the rest".

yeah, there's a definitely still a whole "us" and "them" feel about the tournament.

if there is one positive to be taken, it's the wins over Zimbabwe & Bangladesh in the warm-up games, showing ourselves again as the "best of the rest".

That's true, even in the group stages while we certainly didn't look good we were way better than the truely awful Zimbabwe. Afghanistan went from exciting to terrible and Bangladesh also got hammered in their first game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

This is a big positive. I know it's an anti-climax and we didn't do ourselves justice but we ate at the top table again and like the taste of it...or something like that!

Advertisement