Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moone Boy (Sky One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I got around to watching the 3 episodes this evening, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I think the child playing Martin is quite good. He reminds me of the children in the BBC sitcom Outnumbered. The two youngest kids in that aren't very polished actors either which adds to their charm.

His character is meant to be away with the fairies and a bit of a messer, and I think that comes across perfectly. His best friend was hilarious in the third episode, the bit where he wears the make-up into school had me guffawing. I really enjoyed episode 2, especially the scene in the hairdressers which was perfectly played out. It was the looks shared between the women that had me laughing. It's also great to have quite a few female characters, and I find O'Kane very funny anyway.

I think it's a perfect blend of nostalgia and silly Irish humour.. but not so silly that it descends into Killinaskully or Mrs Brown's Boys territory. A lot of my friends over in England seems to love Mrs Brown's Boys, which I don't find funny at all. So it will be interesting to see if this goes down as well over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Positive review here for ep. 3 as well. I was 15 and hoping to get laid when the wall came down. Bloody good memories. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Is their any way I can catch up on these shows from the start somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭skibum

Just watched the first three episodes back to back, loved it, made me laugh out loud, can't wait for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

It didn't do much for me this week. Loved the first two episodes and will see this series out to the end.

I think I only really laughed right at the end with the Weight wishers crowd stuck the other side of the wall.

My viewing was interrupted though on about 6 different occasions so I could have missed a few things. I may have to re-watch the 3rd episode again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

Just finished the first two & loving it. I suspect it might be a little auto-biographical...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Martin's friend is a little star, he's gas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I didn't know Chris 'Moone Boy' O'Dowd used to be a handy Gaelic Football Goalie. He makes a fine save for the Roscommon Minors in this clip at 1.20. They should try to work that into the show somehow.

http://www.balls.ie/2012/09/25/chris-odowds-appearance-on-the-sunday-game-was-pretty-funny/

Screen-Shot-2012-09-25-at-16.20.22-580x324.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its OK, not laugh out loud funny but whimsical and puts a wry smile on your face
    Basq wrote: »
    Steve Coogan stole the show in the second episode.

he's brilliant, comedy gold, just a pity he can't be in it every week

check out the irish accent (1.28 in)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Simon Delaney Pops up everywhere. He's the Carrie Crowley of our generation.

Not bad for the man best known for Tesco Mobile ads!

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0926/delaneys.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    Not bad for the man best known for Tesco Mobile ads!

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0926/delaneys.html
    Well done Simon!

I take it he'll be playing Vince Vaughan's thinner brother then :pac:

fryup wrote: »
    its OK, not laugh out loud funny but whimsical and puts a wry smile on your face

he's brilliant, comedy gold, just a pity he can't be in it every week

check out the irish accent (1.28 in)

It is scary when professional actors do a character change like that in front of your eyes. Give Coogan a workable movie script and he'll win an Oscar someday.

It is scary when professional actors do a character change like that in front of your eyes. Give Coogan a workable movie script and he'll win an Oscar someday.

I agree, He is a serious talent. Hard to believe Alan Partridge and Touchy Feeley are played by the same man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

was an extra during the filming of the st patricks day parade scene on tuesday in boyle, freezing bloody cold standing around for 2hrs but got to meet chris o dowd so it was all good, nice guy

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

They still filming this season? Or is that a second season?

2nd season - it got the green light very early on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They started filming the second season before the pilot even aired.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Just discovered this thread. Loving Moone Boy so far. Martin is great, although you can tell the boy playing him doesn't have much acting experience. Love the parents and their friends but the standout star for me is Martin's friend :o

All of the characters are extremely likable and relatable though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

first season i believe is set in 1989, the second season will be set in 1991

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Anyone else notice the website address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Great to see another quality Irish comedy. Typical that RTE totally missed the boat on it again... Also good to see Sky's new (seemingly) policy of "make a series of every comedy pilot we see and one of them is bound to work" has had it's first proper hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Was this actually offered to RTE or are you just making that up? People do the same thing with Father Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I heard it was. No confirmed source, though... Probably should have said so to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 UKJon

I heard it was. No confirmed source, though... Probably should have said so to avoid confusion.
    I doubt it was offered to RTE, priority would have been to get it on in the UK and Sky are just as much as a presence in Ireland as they are in the UK so they'd have wanted exclusives rights in both territories.

Like Father Ted it's mainly British production companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Great to see another quality Irish comedy. Typical that RTE totally missed the boat on it again..
    phasers wrote: »
    Was this actually offered to RTE or are you just making that up? People do the same thing with Father Ted.

It was never offered to RTE. O'Dowd developed it after he made a one-off for Sky so there never would have been talk of offering it to RTE.

Why would they have done that and lowered their budget when Sky could offer much more.

Grand Pictures would have come on board later. And even if they'd been involved from the outset I'd say they would have approached the British broadcasters first. RTE don't have much of a budget for scripted comedy.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    first season i believe is set in 1989, the second season will be set in 1991

Are they skipping Italia 90? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

whats this about moone boy and liveline ? https://twitter.com/BigBoyler/status/251650794225541120 Haha, I hear they're giving out about #MooneBoy on #LiveLine. Sweet!

disrespect of the eucharist, which ep is that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

They were discussing it on Liveline according to Chris O'Dowd's twitter. Anyone know what was being said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They were discussing it on Liveline according to Chris O'Dowd's twitter. Anyone know what was being said?

Probably some sh*te by people who don't get comedy I'm sure. Remember the Rubberbandits liveline? Morons ringing in talking about things they have no notion of ever understanding.

Nice bit of publicity for the show though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

such a tease joe, it didn't come up

• Advertisement

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0927/odowdc.html
    Sky 'wants third Moone Boy series'

The Irish Independent has reported that Sky1 is to commission a third season of actor and writer Chris O'Dowd's comedy series Moone Boy.

Filming on the second series of Moone Boy is currently taking place in Boyle, Co Roscommon

That is a serious commitment (if confirmed) - Three Series commissioned before the First Series has finished its run. Sky are really getting behind this show. Great to see.

Advertisement