Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Murphy memorial marathon and ultras 18/11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Aimman wrote: »
    Signed up for the 52M again. Might as well. Once Dublin is finished, I'll let the Ultra-running silliness re-commence :D
    52 for me too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    52 for me too:D

Really enjoyed the 30 last year so I've decided to try the 52 this year. Can't wait:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Really enjoyed the 30 last year so I've decided to try the 52 this year. Can't wait:)

LOL That didn't take long:
    Well done to everyone who was involved on Saturday. Completed my first 50 miler but it was a real struggle for last 10 miles. Leg cramped up badly and ended up walking for a finish. Would be nice to return and put that right, just not sure if I could talk myself into it. Fantastic course though. Running down from the Pass into the wind was unreal.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

im all in:D,it will be my first double marathon,looking forward to the challenge ahead and meeting some friendly faces:),feck im going to have to start training again for this:eek:,it would be handy if they could bring it forward to this saturday,then i woulnt have to train for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

menoscemo wrote: »
    LOL That didn't take long:

Pretty much a similar reaction that the wife had. Although thankfully that's better than what I was expecting from her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I feel rather inadequate posting this but .....I'm in for the half.. Hopefully I can break 1.45 finally !!
    I must pop out and do a recce on this hill ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I feel rather inadequate posting this but .....I'm in for the half.. Hopefully I can break 1.45 finally !!
    I must pop out and do a recce on this hill ;-)
    Nothing to feel inadequate about, Corkrunner71's wife reckons "that didn't take long"?! :rolleyes::D:D

or that might be just my reading of it........

[Runs away (slowly)]

Think of all the company you will have, we'll be there all day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭runningcoach

You will not be alone on the 52 miler - 14 signed up already for it. I reckon we will have at least 20 starters for this race.

Also on the 52 miler - Hot To Trot take a Bow - only Lady on the list so far - could will be heading for a race victory !!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭40whit

Hey guys am fairly new to ultras, did longford this year and am taking on the 52 miler here. just looking for any nutritional tips as i feel my fueling was poor in longford and i struggled for the last 10-13km!! cheers:)

40whit wrote: »
    Hey guys am fairly new to ultras, did longford this year and am taking on the 52 miler here. just looking for any nutritional tips as i feel my fueling was poor in longford and i struggled for the last 10-13km!! cheers:)
    i do well on just gels and water(sis smart caffine gels)if thats any help,c u up there:)

• Advertisement

You will not be alone on the 52 miler - 14 signed up already for it. I reckon we will have at least 20 starters for this race.

Also on the 52 miler - Hot To Trot take a Bow - only Lady on the list so far - could will be heading for a race victory !!
    i will be wearing a dress while running the 52,so hot to trot wont be alone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭40whit

i do well on just gels and water(sis smart caffine gels)if thats any help,c u up there:)

Hey have experience using the gels at marathon and ultra distance they just dont seem to aid me fully and have had a few bad experiences with them(stomach cramps). any other ideas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Hey have experience using the gels at marathon and ultra distance they just dont seem to aid me fully and have had a few bad experiences with them(stomach cramps). any other ideas??

eat small and eat often....

try flahvans flapjacks,they have worked well for me in the past,and ensure drinks

ultraman1 wrote: »

eat small and eat often....
    He can eat your knob every half an hour so:-)

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    He can eat hob knobs every half an hour so:-)

for a race of this lenght, ur cant just rely on gels as you will basically be spiking ur sugar levels up and down all day and energy levels up and down,,,,wat works for me is high 5 drink 4:1(carbs/protien),also breakfast bars,maybe a protien bar all taken in small bits in conjunction with some energy drink/gels towards the last third of the race all while trying to maintain a steady flow of energy from ur fuel.the lay out of this race is perfect for fueling as u get to eat/drink every mile/10mins so you can plan in detail wat ur gonna eat at wat intervals,,,hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭breffni blue

just the marathon for me, really lookin forward to it..

for a race of this lenght, ur cant just rely on gels as you will basically be spiking ur sugar levels up and down all day and energy levels up and down,,,,wat works for me is high 5 drink 4:1(carbs/protien),also breakfast bars,maybe a protien bar all taken in small bits in conjunction with some energy drink/gels towards the last third of the race all while trying to maintain a steady flow of energy from ur fuel.the lay out of this race is perfect for fueling as u get to eat/drink every mile/10mins so you can plan in detail wat ur gonna eat at wat intervals,,,hope this helps..
    i managed grand on just gels and water in dingle 50miler,i have never eating during a ultra,might start trying,might make me run faster:)

i managed grand on just gels and water in dingle 50miler,i have never eating during a ultra,might start trying,might make me run faster:)
    wont make run faster,just mite keep u goin longer....

• Advertisement

wont make run faster,just mite keep u goin longer....
    i think im on the limit with just gels at the moment,i will defintly start eating anything over the 52.4,i only get away with it because when i train i run on empty most runs,so i guess the body is used to feeling ruff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

i managed grand on just gels and water in dingle 50miler
    Grand? Bit of an understatement there Ray.
    i have never eating during a ultra,might start trying,might make me run faster:)
    So, that's where I went wrong, I practically had a picnic in dingle, all I was short was the gingham rug and some pims, and a man servant, a man servant would have been nice. Maybe a butler for the double to pass me gels and water every time i need them.
    I seem to do okay on the gels but do notice up and down energy levels, can't seem to settle on a sustaining drink, high5 stuff gives me reflux, I tend to take glucose tablets at regular intervals, every 20/25mins in the later stages of long runs, I did suffer in the tail end of Dingle, more so fatigue than low energy. I think my diorylite and flavoured water help a bit as well, I seem to meter my fluid fuel intake better than on plain water.

:)
    b.harte wrote: »
    Grand? Bit of an understatement there Ray.
    So, that's where I went wrong, I practically had a picnic in dingle, all I was short was the gingham rug and some pims, and a man servant, a man servant would have been nice. Maybe a butler for the double to pass me gels and water every time i need them.
    I seem to do okay on the gels but do notice up and down energy levels, can't seem to settle on a sustaining drink, high5 stuff gives me reflux, I tend to take glucose tablets at regular intervals, every 20/25mins in the later stages of long runs, I did suffer in the tail end of Dingle, more so fatigue than low energy. I think my diorylite and flavoured water help a bit as well, I seem to meter my fluid fuel intake better than on plain water.
    when i look back i had a couple of ups and downs,not sure if it was the gels,wind,pace or the 50miles,but got there in the end,my second ultra was a 52.4,i was 8 laps of a course,i had a drop bag for each lap with gels,bars,bannanas,protien drink and energy drink,i was doing well in it and took a wrong turn during the race witch added 3 miles added on,that broke me and i didnt even finish,39.3 i stopped at,when i was running that day i was felt realy blooted with all the food,i will start eating from anything over the 52.4,as im going to give the 100k and 100miler maybe a go next year.see u all up in clare:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

b.harte wrote: »
    So, that's where I went wrong, I practically had a picnic in dingle

I was somewhere in the middle (nutrition as well as pace-wise :D ) I had about 8 or 9 gels, 1 rice krispie square and 6 bottles of sports drink.

When I did my longer ultra, I tried a few things and the one that worked best was potatoes with a generous amount of salt.

anywhere decent to stay down there...wud stay in RCs gaf but am bringin d kids ...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭runningcoach

anywhere decent to stay down there...wud stay in RCs gaf but am bringin d kids ...

I will put together a local list of places to stay in the next couple of days.

is there any hotels or [EMAIL="b@bs"]b@bs[/EMAIL] near to the start of the race,going to have to book somewhere soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭dizzymom

B&Bs in SMB - Bridge Side B&B is in the village (a tiny walk to start) or The Jamican Inn Hostel -both have good reviews, there is a load more, but there the 2 id choose !
    running coach will prob add a few more too

dizzymom wrote: »
    B&Bs in SMB - Bridge Side B&B is in the village (a tiny walk to start) or The Jamican Inn Hostel -both have good reviews, there is a load more, but there the 2 id choose !
    running coach will prob add a few more too
    ive stayed in the bridge side b and b a few times and its basic but clean and the staff are lovely. Very cheap also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Any idea when entries will close for this?

Gonig to miss DCM due to an injury and I'm still waiting to see if I will be ready to run this.

Advertisement