Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus ad - D4 girl

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Yawns wrote: »
    Was just about to type this. The local bus service is supposed to be every 15 mins at peak times. You'd be lucky to get one within 90 mins and when it does arrive, it's 3 of them together. Same bus number, same destination.

I needed to go into town today. The cost of fare for myself and the partner far exceeded the fuel cost and parking charges for us to take the car. So we took the car and had some decent comfort. **** off Dublin Bus.

I think in the past year I've only taken the bus about 3 times and two of those occasions were when I had to get some work done on the car.

Its cheaper for me to drive into town and park there than getting the bus (thanks to 6eur for the day student parking!). Not to mention the many benefits of driving in your own car where you reach your destination faster, you are more comfortable and you don't catch tuberculosis from the tramp sitting next to you on the bus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Has everyone else actually missed the direct point of this ad. Its not so much about telling people to take the bus, its telling them to download the new real time dublin bus app. The point of this is that if people know the next bus will be along in a few minutes they might take it rather than drive.

This will hopefully combat the perception that you'll be waiting forever for a bus. This should increase ridership.

The ad itself is intended to be funny and play on the D4 stereotype. I think its amusing while getting the point across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The advert is doing its job very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

theteal wrote: »
    which town?

The one that Dublin bus operates f*cling services in, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Been a good while since I've been on Dublin Bus, tbh I don't like mixing with the common man :pac:

• Advertisement

I think in the past year I've only taken the bus about 3 times and two of those occasions were when I had to get some work done on the car.

Its cheaper for me to drive into town and park there than getting the bus (thanks to 6eur for the day student parking!). Not to mention the many benefits of driving in your own car where you reach your destination faster, you are more comfortable and you don't catch tuberculosis from the tramp sitting next to you on the bus!

I don't know how it could be cheaper than getting the bus. The max single fare on DB is €2.30 afaik. The return journey on the bus is less than the total you spend on parking alone let alone fuel and car maintenance.

I hope its not a maths or finance course you're doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

kfallon wrote: »
    Been a good while since I've been on Dublin Bus, tbh I don't like mixing with the common man :pac:

Believe me it's mutual:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Homer: "Public transportation is for jerks and lesbians"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

The radio ad is better - pretty much the same but "American" accent is way more pronounced. "Clampers. EuuuuuuuuuuuWWWWW". Has me in stitches. Do like her shoes though.

I don't know how it could be cheaper than getting the bus. The max single fare on DB is €2.30 afaik. The return journey on the bus is less than the total you spend on parking alone let alone fuel and car maintenance.

Its 2.60eur into town from Lucan if I remember...
    Well it used to be cheaper when the parking was only 5eur for the day (and if its just a short trip, you will be paying less than 5eur). Now its like a wee bit more expensive. Also after 7pm and on sundays parking is free anyway.

And yeah, that is if you don't factor in the cost of petrol but again, the petrol is a small price to pay for getting to your destination faster and in more quiet and comfort...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Has everyone else actually missed the direct point of this ad. Its not so much about telling people to take the bus, its telling them to download the new real time dublin bus app. The point of this is that if people know the next bus will be along in a few minutes they might take it rather than drive.

This will hopefully combat the perception that you'll be waiting forever for a bus. This should increase ridership.

The ad itself is intended to be funny and play on the D4 stereotype. I think its amusing while getting the point across.

The realtime app is tripe and buses occasionally drop off it without showing up. Thats why I now cycle to work after putting up with three years of sh*tty service from Dublin Bus.

The other day my dad was over and he was intending on getting the last bus home so I was keeping an eye on the app. No. 4 to monkstown Avenue. He caught the bus ok but it terminated in O'connel street.

Sh*t service
    Sh*t app
    Sh*t company

Yeah the last time I drove to town, it cost me 6 euro for less then an hour in the Stephens green centre and driving in the heavy traffic to get there from D5 ate the juice at least another 5+. Plus the aggravation of driving in busy traffic.

Bringing a car to Dublin CC costs on average I would say at least 25. A lot of money for me these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭Riddle101

She's quite attractive, I wouldn't mind a go with her.

As for the ad itself. Why not put a load of scumbags on, sitting at the back of the bus blaring their crappy music. Now THAT would be annoying.

Colmustard wrote: »
    Yeah the last time I drove to town, it cost me 6 euro for less then an hour in the Stephens green centre and driving in the heavy traffic to get there from D5 ate the juice at least another 5+. Plus the aggravation of driving in busy traffic.

Bringing a car to Dublin CC costs on average I would say at least 25. A lot of money for me these days.

I'll agree city centre car parks are fairly pricy. I once had to pay 20eur in the Stephen's Green car park! It was the day with the plenty of snow couple of years ago so had to drive in anyway.

If you're a student you can get 6eur/day parking in the carpark behind Cine World and I think their student rate is like less than 2eur per hour.
    Also there are a few different routes you can take to avoid the rush hour centre traffic, or you could just leave an hour earlier or later! I don't mind sitting in rush hour traffic anyway. I have my music and its nice and quite in the car.

Also now I mostly have to travel to places far from the city centre so if I was to take the bus, I'ld have to take two busses to get to my destination and that would definitely be more expensive and much slower than just driving there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

My trip today if I took the bus was going to cost €10.60 for myself and partner return.

The petrol for the car to there and back was under €5. Parking was €2.50

I would gladly pay car tax, insurance and everything else to not have to sit next to the junkie bastard on the bus. Last time I was on the bus with my pregnant girlfriend a drunk tried to sit on my lap. Noone bats a lid. He gets aggressive when I tell him to go away, so I knocked him down. Que the angry mutters from the crowd then oh shock. Driver eventually stops later 5 mins after the incident. Deary me.

Oh and that bus took over 90 mins to arrive despite the bus text service at the time saying one was due every 10 mins.

I'll agree city centre car parks are fairly pricy. I once had to pay 20eur in the Stephen's Green car park! It was the day with the plenty of snow couple of years ago so had to drive in anyway.

If you're a student you can get 6eur/day parking in the carpark behind Cine World and I think their student rate is like less than 2eur per hour.
    Also there are a few different routes you can take to avoid the rush hour centre traffic, or you could just leave an hour earlier or later! I don't mind sitting in rush hour traffic anyway. I have my music and its nice and quite in the car.

Also now I mostly have to travel to places far from the city centre so if I was to take the bus, I'ld have to take two busses to get to my destination and that would definitely be more expensive and much slower than just driving there.

Another factor also determines why I don't drive to the CC, I know this is weird, I actually don't like driving, I only have a car because my job is about 20 miles from where i live, its an M50 route so virtually no traffic woes in the morning.

I much prefer to cycle and then the Bus.

Another factor also determines why I don't drive to the CC, I know this is weird, I actually don't like driving, I only have a car because my job is about 20 miles from where i live, its an M50 route so virtually no traffic woes in the morning.

I love driving so I don't mind paying the extra bit for petrol. Love the freedom to go wherever you want and discover new places you've never been to before and would have never seen if you didn't have a car...

I would love to cycle too but I live too far from anywhere to cycle comfortably to college work/town etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

dttq wrote: »
    This has to be the most annoying ****in ad on television, what are Dublin bus thinking putting this kind of crap onto our television screens?

I really dont know where that accent sprang from! Walk around the odd ucd building and its like being in downtown Los angelos judging by the accents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Better for your health, your wallet and the environment. Everyone's a winner!

I rarely get the bus but I don't find it as bad as people in this thread when I do.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I really dont know where that accent sprang from! Walk around the odd ucd building and its like being in downtown Los angelos judging by the accents!

She could be from Ballymun or Cork. The accent came from the director asking her to be more annoying, she's an actor and judging by the reaction a pretty good one.

• Advertisement

Zab wrote: »
    Better for your health, your wallet and the environment. Everyone's a winner!

I rarely get the bus but I don't find it as bad as people in this thread when I do.

And your sense of wellbeing, I enjoy anyway. Except in the rain:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Never really understood why D4 got lumped with that label. Have yet to meet anyone from here who speaks like that. In fact you're more likely to hear the neutral or inner city accent.

They sound like that further south though, definitely. Plenty of Northsiders speak like that too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Firing Squad

I would.

My trip today if I took the bus was going to cost €10.60 for myself and partner return.

The petrol for the car to there and back was under €5. Parking was €2.50

I would gladly pay car tax, insurance and everything else to not have to sit next to the junkie bastard on the bus. Last time I was on the bus with my pregnant girlfriend a drunk tried to sit on my lap. Noone bats a lid. He gets aggressive when I tell him to go away, so I knocked him down. Que the angry mutters from the crowd then oh shock. Driver eventually stops later 5 mins after the incident. Deary me.

Oh and that bus took over 90 mins to arrive despite the bus text service at the time saying one was due every 10 mins.

The bus text system is much better than it was as it is now based on real time information. If you and your partner used travel 90 tickets the journey on the bus would only cost €8.60. The full cost of car travel far exceeds this. Only in a full car does the monetary argument for travel by car actually make sense.

People are overstating the problem of junkies on the bus. Yeah I've got hassled by them, but it doesn't happen very often and it was never serious. I've had a lot more negative experiences with them on the street than on the bus.

I don't begrudge people travelling by car if they want to, but don't try and justify it by saying its because the alternative is actually unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

She could be from Ballymun or Cork. The accent came from the director asking her to be more annoying, she's an actor and judging by the reaction a pretty good one.

An actor playing a typical ucd commerce girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Lol why do you keep pointing to the fact that's it's an "act" of course we know that, it's the fact that it's rubbish. If it was an add that was set in the country with an a-typical "culchie" it would be just as bad. The "joke" isn't funny. It's old, obvious, and cringe worthy.

Did you work on the ad or something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Was just about to type this. The local bus service is supposed to be every 15 mins at peak times. You'd be lucky to get one within 90 mins and when it does arrive, it's 3 of them together. Same bus number, same destination.

There's a reason for that. The bus in front stops to let a lot of people on, in the mean time bus 2 and 3 are gaining time on it. When bus 2 gets to the same stops along the route there's not as many people at them because bus 1 has been there recently. What passengers it does stop for bus 3 following behind is catching up on it. Eventually you end up with buses that left 15 min apart arriving down the road together.

I'm guilty of being a nerd. :(

Never really understood why D4 got lumped with that label. Have yet to meet anyone from here who speaks like that. In fact you're more likely to hear the neutral or inner city accent.

They sound like that further south though, definitely. Plenty of Northsiders speak like that too.

A lot of them do sound like that, if you are from D4 you probably don't hear it. I was working as a barman once and I went out to change a keg, the other barman was in the store. I came back to see these girls behind the counter helping them selves.

I went WTF and get out of the pub, "loike there was no-one there loike what were we meant to do and "I am not use to been spoken to like that roighttt"

I was knocked sidewards, the bouncer came and politely ejected them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

She is getting the reaction the director and the advertisers wanted.

People

She's a good actor.

I went to drama school with her. Really nice girl. She would be playing up an accent she already has. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

There's a reason for that. The bus in front stops to let a lot of people on, in the mean time bus 2 and 3 are gaining time on it. When bus 2 gets to the same stops along the route there's not as many people at them because bus 1 has been there recently. What passengers it does stop for bus 3 following behind is catching up on it. Eventually you end up with buses that left 15 min apart arriving down the road together.

I'm guilty of being a nerd. :(

That would be well and good except the stop I was waiting at in that case was the 3rd stop at the start of the route and 3 mins away from the first stop. 90 minutes...

Advertisement