Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you date/marry a religious person?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What if a previously non religious (non smoking!) person took up religion (or smoking!). And I mean, took it up in a fundamental style, became very immersed by it. I think I would have to treat it as I would alcoholism or drug addiction and detach away from that person and draw a line in the sand telling them that I couldnt be with them unless they stopped doing the harmful thing.

I'd be pretty much the same. If they became that type of person while we were going out, then they've become a different person to who I wanted to go out with. I'd try get them away from it, but if it got seriously bad, I'd give them the choice between me and it. This goes for smoking, religion, alcohol, drugs... whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Penn wrote: »
    I'd be pretty much the same. If they became that type of person while we were going out, then they've become a different person to who I wanted to go out with. I'd try get them away from it, but if it got seriously bad, I'd give them the choice between me and it. This goes for smoking, religion, alcohol, drugs... whatever

From experience (of alcoholism) it creeps up slowly which is what makes it harder to step away. People dont wake up one day chanting religious doctrine (or smoking 40 a day), so it would seem very harsh to give someone a 'me or it' ultimatum on say someone popping into a church to light a candle after hearing of a relations illness. But I would be afraid that if something new like this appeared and I didnt speak up immediately, it could grow into something more sinister. Even though I probably wouldnt have an issue with someone lighting a candle from time to time if it gave them some comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

From experience (of alcoholism) it creeps up slowly which is what makes it harder to step away. People dont wake up one day chanting religious doctrine (or smoking 40 a day), so it would seem very harsh to give someone a 'me or it' ultimatum on say someone popping into a church to light a candle after hearing of a relations illness. But I would be afraid that if something new like this appeared and I didnt speak up immediately, it could grow into something more sinister. Even though I probably wouldnt have an issue with someone lighting a candle from time to time if it gave them some comfort.

I agree. That's why I said that I'd try to get them away from it and help them, but if it became seriously bad, then a line has to be drawn, whether it's smoking, alcohol or religion (but seriously bad, like fundamentalism)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I've gone out with religious people, some are more fervent (the girl who said a prayer for me in the pub) some are less...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Jernal wrote: »
    You do realise the Catholic concept of marriage is to have sex with the aim to reproduce children?

I'm sure the Pope would be able to sort out some kind of dispensation. If sweet Pope lovin' is wrong, I don't want to be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

No, I married another non believer. As for dating, none of my ex girlfriends were believers. Not conciously either. I suppose I got on better with people who questioned, disagree with me in a rational manner, and a similar outlook makes for a better partnership/relationship. In my case this coincided with non believers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

kylith wrote: »
    TBH, she sounds like the 'trueist' Christian I've heard of. Sure didn't Jesus say not to go around preaching at people but to keep your praying to yourself?

His words should speak for themselves:
    Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

As should Peter's:
    but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

As should Paul's:
    Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison— that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak.
    Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

For the record, you're entirely correct that at certain junctures in the Gospels Jesus tells people not to speak of him. In Mark's gospel in particular it explains why Jesus says this:
    Mark 9:9 wrote:
    And as they were coming down the mountain, he charged them to tell no one what they had seen, until the Son of Man had risen from the dead.
    Post-Resurrection Christians are encouraged to be clear about the Gospel, and to literally go to all ends of the earth to proclaim it.

There's no denying that Christians are encouraged to evangelise, and to live and speak for Jesus in their daily lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Could you perhaps evangelise somewhere else? It's kind of annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

philologos wrote: »
    Post-Resurrection Christians are encouraged to be clear about the Gospel, and to literally go to all ends of the earth to proclaim it.

A geoid doesn't have ends. So you "literally" mean "figuratively".

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Isn't that dangerous? I mean, they could fall off the side. Then land on the back of a huge turtle.

There's no denying that Christians are encouraged to evangelise, and to live and speak for Jesus in their daily lives.

There are some on these forums who might benefit (monetarily) if they could gather a few more 'followers'. More money in the basket, and in the case of evangelical churches, more cd and book sales.

Pastor: "Let me tell you about jesus". "I'll tell you how to live your life, and most importantly, lighten the load in your pockets". KKAACHING!!

"Why, oh, how come the pastor gotta have himself a nice house". "I said don't ask no questions".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Yes there is denying it. By "no denying it" you simply mean that you will not listen to or acknowledge people who deny it.

In fact many Christians do no such thing nor see or feel any obligation to. People like you are just an embarrassment to them and you do not speak for them despite your insistence on pretending you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Been there, done that. Pure and utter nutjob. Nutjob!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sarky wrote: »
    Could you perhaps evangelise somewhere else? It's kind of annoying.
    Just to clarify. Evangelising is specifically allowed under the charter here. T'would be a more boring place without it - and I think we all know it. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Dades wrote: »
    Just to clarify. Evangelising is specifically allowed under the charter here. T'would be a more boring place without it - and I think we all know it. :)

I suppose it's always a good thing to know what the enemy is thinking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭smokingman

I couldn't bring myself to date, never mind marry, someone with faith.
    As phil has shown on numerous occasions, someone that entrenched in the disturbing dedication to an imaginary entity will always state that jebus will be number one in their affections. How could anyone get a look in when they have to deal with that? It beggars belief why anyone like this wouldn't realise that they were shutting themselves off from ever knowing what real love is (and I mean "real" here in the truest sense).

If your real partner isn't getting the best of you, you're doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I married a Christian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

[-0-] wrote: »
    I married a Christian.
    I think I saw that movie. It's a horror, if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

I sure would. Not gonna become religious but wouldnt care about pretending if she wanted a church wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I sure would. Not gonna become religious but wouldnt care about pretending if she wanted a church wedding.

What if she wanted to raise the children in her religion.

That would be my major concern with marrying a religious person.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Zombrex wrote: »
    What if she wanted to raise the children in her religion.

That would be my major concern with marrying a religious person.
    I suppose if that happened it really wouldnt bother me. I raised RC and copped on that its all a load of bollox. Hopefully my kids will do the same, if not, its their life's. To be honest, I have more things to be dealing with in my life that I'm more concerned about that have nothing to do with religion. Good things and bas things. Maybe a bit of faith might help me but that's not gonna happen lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Yes there is denying it. By "no denying it" you simply mean that you will not listen to or acknowledge people who deny it.

In fact many Christians do no such thing nor see or feel any obligation to. People like you are just an embarrassment to them and you do not speak for them despite your insistence on pretending you do.

That's a little unfair, all he's doing is pointing out what's taught in the bible and what is the standard excepted dogma of pretty much all the blue chip Christian denominations.

If some.Christians choose to pick and choose which teachings of the bible they adhere to that's their business but I dont see anything wrong with Philo pointing out that that is what they are doing... we're quick enough to point these inconsostencies out ourselves when it supports a point we are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

strobe wrote: »
    That's a little unfair, all he's doing is pointing out what's taught in the bible and what is the standard excepted dogma of pretty much all the blue chip Christian denominations.

Or more correctly... he is pointing out HIS interpretation of what is in the Bible. Not everyone shares the same interpretation. Quite often one christian will presume to speak for all Christians as if their interpretation is the correct one and you either disagree or you are not a "True Christian (TM)".

All I am doing is pointing out that many Christians do not share this same interpretation and he would probably do well to stop pretending he speaks for anyone but himself when he clearly does not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Christians choose to pick and choose which teachings of the bible they adhere to that's their business but I dont see anything wrong with Philo pointing out that that is what they are doing...
    And he's doing it too, but can't see it.

robindch wrote: »
    Christians choose to pick and choose which teachings of the bible they adhere to that's their business but I dont see anything wrong with Philo pointing out that that is what they are doing...
    And he's doing it too, but can't see it.

Fascinating. I'd be interested to hear your POV on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

Nope. Simple as.

I've walked away from some stunners before because they started going on about church and that nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Nope. Simple as.

I've walked away from some stunners before because they started going on about church and that nonsense.

I'm sure some stunners walked away from you too ;)

Were they that bad though,I met a few stunners in my time but not one mentioned the church,religion or spirituality.

Known my luck though my next date could end up like one of your stunners lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I once snogged (sorry for using that word) a girl I knew was very religious. Nice girl, pretty girl. Under normal circumstances I'd definitely have considered dating here. But I knew she was very religious (Opus Dei) so there was no question of it. Not that I have problem with Opus Dei any more than any other extreme religious group, the ones that dont kill people anyway....

But it was the "no sex before marriage" thing........honestly, why would you.....

I have had loads of relationships without sex involved, they're call friendships.

I have had loads of relationships without sex involved, they're call friendships.
    So you believe that a non-romantic friendship is the same as a romantic non-sexual relationship?

Surely whether or not you genuinely love someone is what is most important?

• Advertisement

So you believe that a non-romantic friendship is the same as a romantic non-sexual relationship?

Nope
    Surely whether or not you genuinely love someone is what is most important?

As Tina Turner once said, what's love got to do with it?

Advertisement