Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've yet to injure myself on a bandsaw! to be fair, mine is so ****e my hand would probably just jam it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

i've yet to injure myself on a bandsaw! to be fair, mine is so ****e my hand would probably just jam it.

I didn't think you'd be likely to injure yourself, just figured you might like the sentiment :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cletus wrote: »
    I didn't think you'd be likely to injure yourself
    oh, i can find ways of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭tonytiger81

Respaced a framefrom 120mm to fit 130mm rear wheels. Bit daunting at first but the result was very satisfying. The key is to stretch the gap slowly slowly by about 5mm each time. Plenty of YouTube videos out there to show how it’s done.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Proper soaking this morning, (dam you deric hartigan) . All sorted with aldi's finest.
    20210518-142429.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

Last piece to change on the bike. Put aero carbon handlebars on to match carbon wheels.

Just picked up my mid-loader bag, courtesy of Weepsie, and fitted it to the bike. Pretty good fit overall, I think.

553708.jpg

• Last piece to change on the bike. Put aero carbon handlebars on to match carbon wheels.

Good choice of bar tape too, very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Puts some pedals on it and rode the bollix out of it :D Such a fun hardtail, rides like a mini tonka trunk :P

51194624699_e847384514_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Some upgrades on the ebike commuter, put on a set of clip on SKS Speedrocker mudguards, swapped the 32c Schwalbe E One for 26c Pirelli Cinturato Velo which saved about 80g, got a set of Fulcrum Racing 4 wheels which saved about 300g over the OEM Alexrims and went from 28mm to 35mm rim depth and finally replaced the Canyon's uncomfortable own brand saddle with a Selle Italia SLR TM Superflow, another 125g saving.

Might get a Sharpie to go over the green strip on the tyres as it doesn't go well with the red on the wheels.

The downside of getting a second bike is going in knowing I want to upgrade wheels and tyres right away!

P1roUaE.jpg

SRD2MZN.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I decided not to bore the arses off everyone by posting pictures of every single step of the rebuild I'm doing for my eldest fella (he's 12), but he decided he wanted to sticker bomb the frame, and I thought the progress below was worth posting

555784.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

Picked up this side car here on boards. Probably some tweaking to do, but smiles all round for the maiden voyage; at least until I met a headwind.

attachment.php?attachmentid=556493&d=1624286517[img][/img]

And finished my new best bike too over the weekend. My Nigel Dean world tour in 531ST, now equipped with almost full ultegra 3x10sp groupset taken from my other bike above.

My 1st bike with a hint of dura ace for the Eagle eye’d readers.

Smiles all round on this too, flippin delighted with it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=556495&d=1624286802[img][/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

WOT wrote: »
    And finished my new best bike too over the weekend. A Nigel Dean world tour in 531ST, now equipped with full ultegra 3x10sp groupset.

Smiles all round on this too, flippin delighted with it.

That's lovely, did you buy those wheels with the front dynamo or have them built?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That's lovely, did you buy those wheels with the front dynamo or have them built?

I’ve got 2 shimano dyno wheels.

1st one I got pre built from Bee cycles in 2017 and it was superb and can’t speak highly enough of Bee. When I wore out the brake track I respoked and rebuilt myself it but got some help to finally true it. It’s grand but not perfect. I put really skinny spokes on and a mavic A119 rim. It’s a bit flexy.

2nd one is a fresher hub that I bought on adverts for peanuts, €25 if I recall. Humphries built that one for me using butted spokes and a mavic A719 rim. It’s perfect, well built and ready for thousands of km.

Shimano hubs are great because you can service the bearings yourself or at the LBS. The others such as SON & Shutter Precision need to go back to Germany / UK.

I would like to have wheel built with a SON delux hub at some point but need to take out a mortgage for the hub itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

fitted new Chorus cassette 12-29 to go with the new chain fitted last week (skipping on the old cassette)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Breezer

Tubeless conversion. I’ve never done it before. The low pressure I now have my tyres inflated to is frankly bizarre.

I’ll see how they hold the air overnight and test ride it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭randomstuff

Swapped the super motox tyres for something with a bit more bite on the Ogre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Alanbt

About 8 months late in finishing this build (laziness and waiting on a few bits to arrive).

Savine frameset, Ultegra R8000, HED Belgium plus on CK hubs

Want to change tyres to wider 27mm from current 25mm (as rims are 21mm internal).

looking forward to proper test spin tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Is it just me or does that crankset look lumpy compared to the sleek looks of the rest of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Not too many non-lumpy modern crankset options out there. I’d prefer something less chunky too, but think the matt Ultegra looks ok actually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Put new bar tape on the good bike. The original stuff was on there 5 years but started to look a bit ragged, so went with some supacaz stuff. Looks and feels great. I have a set of swiss stop pads to fit as well, but I might leave the hunt ones in as I managed to get them not to rub finally

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Fitted the Dynamo Hub, and lights yesterday. Only a few laps around the house, but impressed with the light. Not entirely happy with the routing to rear light pannier - followed the rear derailleur cable down the down tube (which is fine), and then gone along the rear mudguard? Also, had to kinda bodge the connections to rear light as the B&M supplied cable only had spades on one end.

The cable on the rear brake needed some adjustment at the barrel, but I had the heat on in the shed. So I took the wheel off, took the caliper off, took out the break pads, full strip, clean and reassemble, because shed time.

i would kill for a heated shed.

Well, it's only heated because I plugged this in...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

New saddle on the carbon bike after a lot of turbo discomfort despite several adjustments. Hopefully this one is better, it's flat so it should be! A whopping 35g weight saving too.

I haven't made any tools for a while, so today I set about making a bearing press.

I had been using a length of threaded bar with two circular pieces of aluminium, all pressed via a nut at each end, turned with a pair of spanners.

The plan now, though, is to make up a set of nuts with handles

• Advertisement

Quick proof of concept shot for those of you not sufficiently bored by my previous post

Advertisement