Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Left my bike into CSS last Saturday for service and repairs, I hoped by today I'd have been out riding again but alas, no joy.
    I fit new cleats to my shoes in the mean time, a while back I had a blow out on the way to work and had to walk about 2-3km in carbon soles and cleats... It was so bad that one of the bolts had even gone missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

A bit of paint by numbers today :D

51012486396_73af6266d0_c.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you should have finished painting the rake too.

you should have finished painting the rake too.

At least it's getting used :D

• Advertisement

Oh and incase anyone is wondering about the Lidl stands that one is about 10 years old and has lived outdoors the entire time. Still works perfectly fine if a little stiff in spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Fitted new Ultegra 8000 crank to the good bike the other day and while I was in the shed I noticed a bulge in the rear tyre I’m the commuter/winter bike. Today I changed the dodgy cheng shin tyres for a set of GP 4000s I had in the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Wanted something simple to replace the bulkier Cateye computer. Much clearer to read than it looks in the photo.

thumbnail-image000000-7.jpg

Gave OH's bike a clean and a mini service. Wasn't shifting 100% and rear brake was a tad sticky. All tip top now. I also was not bothered doing my own bartape so it's in the shop having a new rear brake cable and bar tape fitted, I should have done it myself bit feck it

I've not considered using my snow foam lance on my bike and honestly I'm not sure why.
    Finished beautifully.

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    I've not considered using my snow foam lance on my bike and honestly I'm not sure why.
    Finished beautifully.

Using Autoglym snowfoam, I might as well be pissing on it, its brutal. Just using it up really

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Gave OH's bike a clean and a mini service. Wasn't shifting 100% and rear brake was a tad sticky. All tip top now. I also was not bothered doing my own bartape so it's in the shop having a new rear brake cable and bar tape fitted, I should have done it myself bit feck it

Clean machine.
    What cleaners were you using?... Shopping time for me

The snowfoam is autoglym but that ends up needing a good whack and a lot of elbow grease with the mitt. For the drivechain I used Muc Off motorbike degreaser. It's a really nice bike, if it was my size I'd have definitely stolen it from my OH

I'm.a real advocate for Chemical Guys Honeydew snow foam but I have a 25l drum of what ever my old job used as car shampoo in the shed, I'll have to see how well that foams. :pac:

Getting my bike back from CSS today so should be washed anyway, I'll get it dirty this weekend no doubt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Knocked out the Pf30 BB which I was using with reducers, which were fine but it was slightly outboard as I think the Pf30 was not fully pushed in, which actually made it easy to knock out without damaging. Replaced with pressfit Shimano BB. Not sure why people hate them so much, easy to take out, easy to put in and fairly cheap. Anyway, satisfying when a job goes correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Left it outside my house while I put the kids to bed and some young lad in a grey tracksuit was kind enough to take it off my hands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Finally got around to fitting a new BB to my Cube. Robbed the brakes off my Boardman for the Cube and refitted the chain that I took off months ago, so it is now rideable again.

A touch of colour and clear today :D

51030272721_ccb018c7a4_c.jpg

what's the frame/original bike?

• Advertisement

what's the frame/original bike?

It was a Donohue frame I picked up on here I'll try dig out the original thread. The paint was shot and had little going for it so figured nothing to lose throwing a bit of paint at it.

A couple of dodgy bands to break up the red. The one thing about painting a frame is you need to be patient it's all in the prep, I have zero patience so it's going to be a modest 10 footer. :D

51029587233_c41491364a_c.jpg

I had an absolute nightmare with the 2k clear. It sprayed fine but then started pooling under the nozzle and pouring out like water, no idea what the issue was. End result was some drips on parts of the frame but hopefully I can recover with the next wet sand and clear. If not it'll be a good 10 footer either way. probably going to be built up and used for winter spins.

Next an 800 grit wet sand and clear again which should leave a glossy smooth finish and remove the rough edges from the bands. :p

51035589056_fa07c8c3f2_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

Looking good. The missus must be out of the house...

cletus wrote: »
    Looking good. The missus must be out of the house...

Mothers day gift :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Hope this is the right place to post this.

My old Garmin Cadence sensor stopped working so I bought a Wahoo replacement based on good reviews and I liked the silicone cover it fits in when seated.

I fitted it earlier to the inside of my non drive side crank and it's a smidge too big for the gap between the crank and the chainstay. I tried positioning it all along the pedal to see if there's a wider spot but where I have it is the widest point between the pedal and chainstay. The pedal will rotate but there's a heavy chaff / rub as the silicone cover squeezes up over the chainstay.

The alternative to using the silicone cover is to stick the sensor to the chainstay using double sided 3M tape which will solve the problem but I'd really prefer to not stick anything to the chainstay plus it'll make replacing the sensor battery a pain in the ass.

Can I ask you guys for your input / suggestions? Will the silicone wear down to the point where it's no longer chaffing? Could I do damage to the crank or anything else if I ride it with this rubbing going on?

Are there any other installation options I'm not aware of? I know I could install the sensor on my shoes but I really don't want to do that.

Some photo's to clarify the problem.

juelmaP.jpg

5q4hfRs.jpg

Could you out it on the other crank arm or on the other side of it?

I also like the paint on that frame. Trek?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Could you out it on the other crank arm or on the other side of it?

Definitely not, no spare space at all on the drive side.

54and56 wrote: »
    Definitely not, no spare space at all on the drive side.

On the other side of the crank arm so

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I also like the paint on that frame. Trek?

Yeah, good spot!! It's a Trek Domane SL Disc Frame Set

EGZJQ3k.jpg

Advertisement