Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parades commission is useless and toothless

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

regardless of what "this means" and that "means2.......they can just be ignored.....

if they are being ignored....they cannot mean anything......

in a few generations time.......all this will be laughed at......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

junder wrote: »
    You mentioned the sash, not the famine song
    Stop deflecting, you know as well as I do that the sectarian song the band got in trouble over was the famine song.

Again:

What do you think of the bands actions? Good, or bad?

They protested against the parades commission by playing the Sash outside a church? Was the PC not correct in banning the band for playing sectarian songs(ie the famine song) outside a church? If not, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Stop deflecting,

All these NI threads are the same. I think when Junder and his buddies like the artist formerly known as KiethAFC start deflecting then that is as good as a win as far as your point is concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

voodoo wrote: »
    All these NI threads are the same. I think when junder and his buddies like the artist formerly known as KeithaFC start deflecting then that is as good as a win as far as your point is concerned.

That's the problem, Its very rare to get a discussion going on NI here without the usual tit for tat postings taken place, Actually same with the middle east ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Junder, you've done little but avoid questions and engage in whataboutery.

Waste of bloody time.

• Advertisement

Junder, you've done little but avoid questions and engage in whataboutery.

Waste of bloody time.
    So it seems.

Given his lack on condemnation it appears he supports the band in question, and its activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

woodoo wrote: »
    Stop deflecting,

All these NI threads are the same. I think when Junder and his buddies like the artist formerly known as KiethAFC start deflecting then that is as good as a win as far as your point is concerned.

And what have you won exactly?

I wouldnt mind a nice drum.

Will you answer the questions I asked junder? If you and your community want to be understood you need to articulate your POV.

Why is your community sticking up for a band which played sectarian songs outside a church?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This isn't a blog or twitter, it's a discussion site, either engage in the discussion by answering questions from other posters or don't bother taking part at all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Nodin wrote: »
    One band was involved in this. Again, I think its throwing a few babies out with the bathwater.

Tbf Nodin, it may have only been one band caught on camera. The bigger problem is the lack of condemnation from Unionist politicians on a pretty sickening sectarian act by the band.

I've heard a few lines from The Famine Song before. But I took it upon myself to check and find the lyrics online. I was going to copy and paste them but I thought I might be in breach of Boards.ie policy. Pretty sick stuff tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Odd how certain people only show one side of the issue.

Perhaps people could take a look at this:

This was before and after a Republican band passed by an Orange Hall in Clifton Street.

Is it that odd that Loyalists feel as if the PC are against them, when there are no restrictions placed on such Republican parades ?

Please ignore the blatant irony of people wearing football tops from English clubs. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

Jelle1880 wrote: »

This was before and after a Republican band passed by an Orange Hall in Clifton Street.

Is it that odd that Loyalists feel as if the PC are against them, when there are no restrictions placed on such Republican parades ?

Please ignore the blatant irony of people wearing football tops from English clubs. :pac:

this is a photo of the the UVF men who had keys to the Orange hall platform and were goading the parade.
    As usual there are two sides to every story.

185190_10151131055449568_1922960913_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Looking at pictures like these makes me glad i'm not from Northern Ireland.

TOMASJ wrote: »
    this is a photo of the the UVF men who had keys to the Orange hall platform and were goading the parade.

I don't know any of these men (and neither do you I guess), and they don't seem to be goading anyone there.

But tell me this: If a Loyalist parade is forbidden to walk past a Catholic Church (which I can understand), why is the same not done for a Republican parade walking past an Orange Lodge ?

Surely they are both equally sensitive ?

[YOUTUBE|youtube.vid[/YOUTUBE]

Ehhh.. minor disturbances. How many PSNI officers were injured? None? Compared with 40 the other night by Loyalists. Also, if you actually watch the video there is clearly a large contingent of wardens trying to quell trouble (yellow vests).

So what we have, if we compare the two recent disturbances, is orchestrated violence and attacks against the PSNI by Loyalists resulting in 40 officers being injured versus minor disturbances by Nationalists which were being quelled by wardens who seemed to be complimenting the policing of the area.

This is bull****. Are you really trying to say that Republicans can march where and when they like?

Scottish jerseys.

Is the idea there that they're recording each other in a "oooh I'm gonna find out who you are and get you" way? Is that the idea?

Feel sorry for anyone normal within a hundred mile radius of that.

Ehhh.. minor disturbances. How many PSNI officers were injured? None? Compared with 40 the other night by Loyalists. Also, if you actually watch the video there is clearly a large contingent of wardens trying to quell trouble (yellow vests).

So what we have, if we compare the two recent disturbances, is orchestrated violence and attacks against the PSNI by Loyalists resulting in 40 officers being injured versus minor disturbances by Nationalists which were being quelled by wardens who seemed to be complimenting the policing of the area.

Where did I compare the situations regarding violence ?
    I merely pointed out that apparently for some it's perfectly ok to antagonize others and to walk where they want.

And please don't try to do away with the riots as one-sided.
    This is bull****. Are you really trying to say that Republicans can march where and when they like?

This one seems to...
    Scottish jerseys.

Manchester is Scotland now ?

By the way, is it true that the Parades Commission is publicly unaccountable ?
    How the hell can you expect either side to trust an organisation which has a final say in these matters, but doesn't have to justify any of their decisions ?

I don't know any of these men (and neither do you I guess), and they don't seem to be goading anyone there.

But tell me this: If a Loyalist parade is forbidden to walk past a Catholic Church (which I can understand), why is the same not done for a Republican parade walking past an Orange Lodge ?

Thats not the case, they weren't allowed play music along the entire road, but they stopped and played outside the church. No one said they couldn't march. They got banned for playing sectarian songs. The two instances are not comparable at all, and you clearly have your facts wrong.

Churches have extra significance than ordinary buildings, or even protestant churches, due to the presence of the body and blood of christ inside, that's the catholic belief.

The republican parade was one commemorating a protestant. It was not sectarian. It was entirely legal and it broke no restrictions.

Oh, and when you start having a go at people over their attire it damages your argument and makes you look petty, like you are dragging football rivalries into this.

So a Roman Catholic Church is more important than any other religious building, how tolerant.

And I know why that parade had restrictions placed on it, but that doesn't change the fact that many other parades are restricted for no valid or clear reason.

The main issue for many of the Unionist community is that they perceive this as bias against them, just like I'm sure Nationalists will feel the same.

• Advertisement

Where did I compare the situations regarding violence ?
    I merely pointed out that apparently for some it's perfectly ok to antagonize others and to walk where they want.

Your first post in the thread is 'but look at this'. The intent to compare was implicit.
    Manchester is Scotland now ?

I was referring to the Celtic Jerseys - I didn't know you were referring to the club owned by Americans with loads of foreigners playing for it.
    How the hell can you expect either side to trust an organisation which has a final say in these matters, but doesn't have to justify any of their decisions?

It's the only show in town. What do you propose as an alternative?

Making them accountable for decisions would be a start.

Or is it not an option to want to change something, instead of outright abolishing it ?
    There doesn't have to be an alternative, just a debate about the workings of the PC as it is.

So a Roman Catholic Church is more important than any other religious building, how tolerant.

And I know why that parade had restrictions placed on it, but that doesn't change the fact that many other parades are restricted for no valid or clear reason.

The main issue for many of the Unionist community is that they perceive this as bias against them, just like I'm sure Nationalists will feel the same.

I said had significance - which they do for the reasons I outlined. Doesnt mean that other religious buildings aren't important, or that I'm intolerant. Nice spin though.

Making them accountable for decisions would be a start.

Or is it not an option to want to change something, instead of outright abolishing it ?
    There doesn't have to be an alternative, just a debate about the workings of the PC as it is.
    Can the decisions be judicially reviewed?

The main issue for many of the Unionist community is that they perceive this as bias against them

Tens of thousands of loyalists turn out for the marching season year-on-year and many believe that there is a bias against them? All that has happened with parade rerouteing is what should have happened decades ago.

I said had significance - which they do for the reasons I outlined. Doesnt mean that other religious buildings aren't important, or that I'm intolerant. Nice spin though.

Nothing to do with spin, you clearly stated that for Catholics a Church is far more important than other religious buildings, as if that should have any bearing on a decision.

And yes, I believe they can be judicially reviewed but they don't have to explain their decisions or the reasoning behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

I must say, looking at both videos on this thread, it's a very poor reflection on both communities. To be honest, the whole parades thing is quite childish in my opinion, you can't march here and I can't march there. Both communities are out to rub each other's faces in it.

As a resident of the Republic of Ireland, I am embarrassed by this sort of stuff happening on the same island, I just hope there aren't people in other countries who lump us all in together and think this sort of nonsense and hatred between communities happens here as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Nice they way the Republicans get the under age to throw stones knowing the Police can do little about it.

Who's that c0nt with the stick and mobile? Phoning his IRA friends? Guess he deserves his DLA for all the years he has been oppressed. C9nt.

getzls wrote: »
    Who's that c0nt with the stick and mobile? Phoning his IRA friends? Guess he deserves his DLA for all the years he has been oppressed. C9nt.

You sound like you have a lot of hate in your heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

TOMASJ wrote: »

I think if you care to do some research you will find that they are UVF thugs

If IRA men got keys from the priest and stood stood on a balcony goading and videoing Loyalists walking the church your comparison would stand up,

As it is your orange hall is not a house of worship

Advertisement