Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Phoned up to cancel. Was offered 9 months original for half price, 12 month contract. Which doesn't seem great as ideally I'd like basic, sports + HD for half price.

Have the offer on the Sky Services app too.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Any deals on Sky Q being offered? Or is it even available in ROI yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

ccazza wrote: »
    Sky hd available for €5 a month. Available until Thursday. Ties you into a new 12 month contract though.

I got it this morning. I had to ring them, no contract as I had it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

breeno wrote: »
    Any deals on Sky Q being offered? Or is it even available in ROI yet?

Yes, I'm currently negotiating with them on it.

It's €55 a month or €67 a month for the Silver Version(which mostly has 1 box and a mini box for a 2nd room).

There is a One Off Cost for New Customers and here is a copy and paste of the terms:
    Customers who have or take Sky Broadband, Sky Movies or Sky Sports with Sky TV pay €99 for Sky Q smart features fee (otherwise €249) - saving €150; or €99 for Sky Q silver smart features fee (otherwise €299) - saving €200. One discount per customer. Engineer set-up required. Installation cost of €50 applies for existing customers. Non-standard set-up may cost extra.

Something Concerning in the terms is this statement
    Sky Q kit loaned to you at no cost and must be returned at end relevant subscription.
    The Sky+HD Box I have they couldn't care less about so are they saying they want Sky Q back after the Contract

ALSO Contract is 18 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Berty wrote: »
    Yes, I'm currently negotiating with them on it.

It's €55 a month or €67 a month for the Silver Version(which mostly has 1 box and a mini box for a 2nd room).

There is a One Off Cost for New Customers and here is a copy and paste of the terms:

Something Concerning in the terms is this statement

The Sky+HD Box I have they couldn't care less about so are they saying they want Sky Q back after the Contract

ALSO Contract is 18 months

Yup, unlike previously, SkyQ equipment is only loaned to you. The benefit of this is no more service call charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Haven't been with sky for a few years.

TBH wasn't sure I even wanted to return but I accepted this offer for 12 months:

Variety pack + bb + phone + hd for €59

Free installation as well.

They initially wanted to charge me €15 extra for the HD and boxsets, but said no. They said they would reduce it to €5 / month. Again I said no (it was a genuine deal breaker - I would've walked away) and finally they said that they'd give it to me as a free addon.

I have a freesat box and will likely plug it back in after 12 months if sky increase the price.

I don't think I am the loyal customer they are looking for.

TBH wasn't sure I even wanted to return but I accepted this offer for 12 months:

They initially wanted to charge me €15 extra for the HD and boxsets, but said no. They said they would reduce it to €5 / month. Again I said no (it was a genuine deal breaker - I would've walked away) and finally they said that they'd give it to me as a free addon.

I have a freesat box and will likely plug it back in after 12 months if sky increase the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

ads20101 wrote: »

That's a very good offer. It was 50€ for original, bb with no HD on the website last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

ads20101 wrote: »

I'm currently shopping for the best deal for a new house... This sounds great...did you only get this as you are returning to sky? Any tips on getting best deal?

corvus4906 wrote: »
    I'm currently shopping for the best deal for a new house... This sounds great...did you only get this as you are returning to sky?

Possibly, as I made this a central issue in my negotiations. However, I was informed that because I was away for such a long time I was treated as a new customer. Additionally, I was issued with a new customer number.

Also, looking at the sat forum there is another chap that appears to have got the same deal as me but for €54 (I genuinely thought that I'd negotiated the best deal possible - obviously not!!! Grrrr!!!)
    corvus4906 wrote: »
    Any tips on getting best deal?

Yes,
    • Never accept the first deal
    • Try and negotiate with the team leader / supervisor. Or if you're not happy, tell them that and ask to talk to the team leader before you walk away from the deal.
    • Even if you get a deal you are happy with tell them that your not and that you have to think about it. Arrange a call back with the same operator (you will only need to start again if you get a different person). Ensure that you get a commitment for a date and time (if they don't call back liaise with the reps on the sky forum.
    • When they call back add another condition to the deal. Arrange for another call back (I never said that this was a short process).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Out of contract ..rang up the best they could apparently do was a 20 Euro per month saving on my bill ...and I have everything sports movies hd & phone ...felt like cancelling there and then

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Vego wrote:
    felt like cancelling there and then

Why didn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Anyway for existing subscribers to get the new Living Social deal here?

Just about to finish on the same Groupon offer last year (Original Bundle, Movies, Sports for €47.75pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Anyway for existing subscribers to get the new Living Social deal here?

Just about to finish on the same Groupon offer last year (Original Bundle, Movies, Sports for €47.75pm)

Ring them to cancel. I was on the half price Groupon deal and I rang to cancel and he just extended the half price deal with no contract.

On Groupon also. Rang up and have had back n forth for days with them. Final offer was worse than the first.

15% off for 9 months. Told them Nope, let it cancel.

Btw, anybody who says they got 50% off the Groupon extended, sky customer retention says you're all liars and you're not getting it. LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Rang to test the water. I cancelled 18 months ago and not missed it at all but my had box has jacked up so I don't even have fta now.

So they offered me "free installation" with variety and sports with hd for €68 pm. I said I'll think about it just to get off the phone but not a hope I'll pay that.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭gaz15

I put through the cancellation a couple of weeks ago after being on the phone 40 mins and saying cancel it at least ten times.

Missed a call today from them so be interesting to see if they come close to matching the half price I was on. I won't hold my breath on that though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

gaz15 wrote: »
    I put through the cancellation a couple of weeks ago after being on the phone 40 mins and saying cancel it at least ten times.

Missed a call today from them so be interesting to see if they come close to matching the half price I was on. I won't hold my breath on that though

I got a call yesterday as well. They were offering 10 months half price with a new contract if I came back - I wasn't even remotely tempted!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

here's one for a laugh

after being on the phone for at least 20 mins, he puts me on hold for another 7 and comes back with....

.....wait for it.....

..... 10% off my TV bundle, amounting to a whopping 3.90eur a month

I laughed at him and hung up....

On a serious note though how are ye getting offered anything remotely like half price?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

ImARebel wrote: »
    here's one for a laugh

after being on the phone for at least 20 mins, he puts me on hold for another 7 and comes back with....

.....wait for it.....

..... 10% off my TV bundle, amounting to a whopping 3.90eur a month

I laughed at him and hung up....

On a serious note though how are ye getting offered anything remotely like half price?

Maybe it depends on how long you were a customer and if you have broadband with them. Not sure if thats the answer but they must take some of that into consideration . My sons mate in collage works part time for them. Maybe he can tell us.

• Advertisement

6 years with them. We've broadband phone and TV with them. So even if he'd said 10 percent off everything but 10 percent just off the TV? Laughable.

Question if we cancel the account is in my partners name, can I join up then as a new customer?

ImARebel wrote: »
    Question if we cancel the account is in my partners name, can I join up then as a new customer?

Supposedly not because you can't take out sky and immediately put it back in because they think you're trying to scam them for new customers offers(and other reasons I'm sure). But they can set up a new customer straight away because imagine if you sold the house and moved out. They could hardly ban the new residents from having Sky TV because you just left.

I have Broadband and TV in my house, same address, same bank account, same password but one is in my wifes name and one in my name. Sky are currently trying to merge them, baffled how I could have two accounts. One was direct, one was direct using a groupon code. :D So they technically set up both accounts, not me so it's all entirely possible.

It's currently a very difficult process getting new offers and merging accounts so I don't recommend having different services under different names if you eventually want to deal with them over the phone to recalculate a better deal.

Cool that makes sense. Thanks for replying :-) I just need to remember to uncancel, lol. I was so sure I'd get a better deal

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ash_

Berty wrote: »
    On Groupon also. Rang up and have had back n forth for days with them. Final offer was worse than the first.

15% off for 9 months. Told them Nope, let it cancel.

Btw, anybody who says they got 50% off the Groupon extended, sky customer retention says you're all liars and you're not getting it. LOL

I'm in the same boat as well (with multi room), when I rang I got offered 20% of TV and Sports and half price on HD sub for 9 months with no contract. He said he couldn't offer half price for TV since I was coming off a half price offer. Another option he gave was Selective Sports(2 sports channels) for 15. My bill would've jumped from 50 something to 80 something. Couldn't convince myself I actually watch TV worth that much per month. So I told him to cancel and gave 30 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Spent an hour on the phone to them earlier. Trying to offer me
    Variety @ 10months 35% off and 2months full
    HD €15 for 12 months (no discount)
    Broadband €35 6months + €50 remaining 6.

Works out in total 20% more than I paid in the last 12months for the exact same thing.

Stuck to my guns and told them to cancel.

To be honest your man was a right pr$&k!
    Basically just kept using scare tactics to put me off Virgin, FTA etc.
    Kept saying I would be paying less even though I told him i wouldn't be.
    Kept using savings figures that were only true if I took basic TV and no HD.
    By the end I had completely zoned out with what he was saying I just had to keep repeating that I wanted to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Got the call there, half price variety for 10 months on a 12 months contract with first month complimentary and HD for €5 per month.

Think good,..... Any opinions please ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 28,823 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sasso wrote: »
    Got the call there, half price variety for 10 months on a 12 months contract with first month complimentary and HD for €5 per month.

Think good,..... Any opinions please ?????
    If I get offered anything even like that I'd be jumping at it!

Can I ask, had you just rung up, or had you given notice to cancel, or had you actually gone through with cancellation (ie service stopped)?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

I've been without service for about 6 months, but bought sky view card off adverts for €7 and turned skybox into a free view box, no rte but no loss there.
    I contacted them a few times on the live chat system on site and this is the best offer now. They seem to record or log everything so they know what was offered previously. I just stuck to my guns and waited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Boots234

Our Sky bill was going to be 76 euro next month, I rang to cancel it and because we are with them so long they were willing to bring it down to 69! I said no and then he brought it down to 64! I said that we were paying 60 for the past few months as we had a deal with 20% off. I said to go ahead and cancel it altogether. Sky sports costs 37 alone. They have never rang me with a deal so I may end up ringing again in a few weeks to see what they are offering

• Advertisement

I think they have started playing hardball.

To get the best deal be prepared to leave for a month or two.

That's what I plan on doing once my contract is up

Advertisement