Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sergio Martinez vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr-Middleight Championship of the World

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,704 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In terms of the fight, that extra weight is obviously a disadvantage if you're a quick, speed style fighter. For a fighter like Chavez, it's a huge advantage to have that much weight over your opponent. His 'style' is basically leaning his head on you and hammering away to the body and head. Having a near 190 pounder leaning on you all night is going to wear you out. Thankfully Sergio has the speed and class to nullify that and make Chavez look every bit the horrible, limited fighter he is. Hasn't even got a jab to work behind and work his way in close. He was utterly exposed that night. Good riddance.

It may be a huge advanatge over a fighter who allows him to lay on them and beat on them. But against quality it is obviously not doing him any favours. Against a slickster like Martinez JCC looked very pedestrian. The major weight loss regime, and then the rapid weight gain will see him suffer against quality. Against a Mackilin or Lee that weight advantage would be bad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Seems Chavez Jnr has tested positive for Cannabis, could have repercussions when the full results come through.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/174891-report-chavez-jr-tests-positive-for-marjuana

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

It will be interesting how they handle this ...second drugs offence is pretty serious...His lawyers will argue that he was backstage at every rap/rock concert in the last year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

marjuana ?? FFS

I reckon his camp leaked that as an excuse for his **** performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Severely doubt Chavez Jr has the head for boxing at this level, with his previous testing trouble then being found with mary jayne in his system he doesn't really have a leg to stand on (no problem with him smoking weed at all, its his choice, commissions don't want to know about this however). Whole attitude seems wrong and a polar opposite of someone like Martinez. Didn't like the look of him on the 24/7 not showing for training, didn't seem to listen to Roach in his corner on fight night either.

Spoilt child.

Wonder what his camp are going to say, possibly try a therapeutic use defence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

If he's already tested positive twice, what was in his system the 2 times he didn't show up for the test.
    This chaps a clown, he doesn't have the mentality to be fighting at this level, probably down to his rich upbringing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

If i remember right didnt chavez not give a urine sample or something before the Lee fight, very dodgy i wonder how many of his other fights has the lad had something in his system he shouldn't, wonder what punishment the guy will get after this, i bet very little considering his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Why is there so much negativity for JCC on here. He clearly has the head for the game considering his granite chin and very obvious fighting heart. Ok the drugs issues to cast a doubt over him somewhat but innocent until proven guilty. People saying he shamed his fathers name? Get a grip, he was Massive underdog fighting one of the greatest fighters of the recent era and if the fight was 2 years down the line he floors Martinez. He's a young fighter who will achieve in the sport (already has to be honest) and providing he is not souped up on drugs Ithink he has done his father proud.

minty16 wrote: »
    he was Massive underdog fighting one of the greatest fighters of the recent era and if the fight was 2 years down the line he floors Martinez. He's a young fighter who will achieve in the sport (already has to be honest) and providing he is not souped up on drugs Ithink he has done his father proud.

I don't see what is impressive if we have to wait until Martinez is even older before JCC can beat him, which, by the way I don't think happens. The gulf in class was very evident the other night.

JCC is good. It ends there.

Why is there so much negativity for JCC on here. He clearly has the head for the game considering his granite chin and very obvious fighting heart. Ok the drugs issues to cast a doubt over him somewhat but innocent until proven guilty. People saying he shamed his fathers name? Get a grip, he was Massive underdog fighting one of the greatest fighters of the recent era and if the fight was 2 years down the line he floors Martinez. He's a young fighter who will achieve in the sport (already has to be honest) and providing he is not souped up on drugs Ithink he has done his father proud.

He's 26 with over 40 fights, he's not exactly a kid. Even leaving out the failed drug tests and the no shows, the champion with huge support and hype was totally outclassed for 11 of 12 rounds and if Martinez was using his head he would have lost every round.
    He's a decent fighter who would be no one only for his father. He also has a terrible attitude, if he can't get it together now for his chance to prove himself as anything other than his fathers son then when is he going to get it together?

I can't imagine he'll last long at 160 and the compitition will be tougher when he moves up. I think his chin mostly comes down to the weight advantage as well and will be tested at 168 and 175

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

he has been proven guilty once

endswell wrote: »
    he has been proven guilty once

and no shows are as good as guilt, you can't claim it was an accident the second time. Only in boxing could a guy with a record of guilt not show up to a test and suffer no repercussions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

When I fractured my wrist, I could barely pick up a fork. Martinez fractures his and schools a top class fighter for a further seven rounds. He is an absolute beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

IrishAm wrote: »
    When I fractured my wrist, I could barely pick up a fork. Martinez fractures his and schools a top class fighter for a further seven rounds. He is an absolute beast.
    he must have had access to good painkillers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Sergio to fight in Argentina next April, Martin Murray the likely opponent it seems.

Henno30 wrote: »
    Sergio to fight in Argentina next April, Martin Murray the likely opponent it seems.

Another snoozefest. Murray is quite ordinary!

walshb wrote: »
    Another snoozefest. Murray is quite ordinary!
    A backward step i think for Sergio i would have thought at his age he would aim to fight someone of more quality and a bigger name, i suppose there isnt many big names at the weight but still i feel he should have tried to get a fight with one of the other champions either Quillin or Golovkin, i imagine an easy nights work for sergio tbh i wouldnt think Murray is on the same level as Macklin id rank him as good as maybe Barker but honestly against a top fighter like Sergio i think he will get destroyed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

A backward step i think for Sergio i would have thought at his age he would aim to fight someone of more quality and a bigger name, i suppose there isnt many big names at the weight but still i feel he should have tried to get a fight with one of the other champions either Quillin or Golovkin, i imagine an easy nights work for sergio tbh i wouldnt think Murray is on the same level as Macklin id rank him as good as maybe Barker but honestly against a top fighter like Sergio i think he will get destroyed

Just a homecoming for Sergio really, the opponent doesn't matters to him for this one. The other possibles mentioned were Jose Miguel Torres, Domenico Spada, and Kerry Hope. DiBella balked at the notion of facing Golovkin claiming that it makes no economic sense, an argument that would have outraged himself 12 months ago when he was on his high horse over Sergio being ignored.

It probably matters for Martinez that he does mobilise some sort of Argentinian crowd to get behind him alright, he needs to have some sort of negotiating power with the cash cows back in the US if he's going to get those last few big paydays.

Henno30 wrote: »
    Just a homecoming for Sergio really, the opponent doesn't matters to him for this one. The other possibles mentioned were Jose Miguel Torres, Domenico Spada, and Kerry Hope. DiBella balked at the notion of facing Golovkin claiming that it makes no economic sense, an argument that would have outraged himself 12 months ago when he was on his high horse over Sergio being ignored.

It probably matters for Martinez that he does mobilise some sort of Argentinian crowd to get behind him alright, he needs to have some sort of negotiating power with the cash cows back in the US if he's going to get those last few big paydays.
    Yeah i supppose that someone like murray will make sergio look good in front of his home crowd, Jasus though why the hell was Kerry Hope even mentioned as an opponent what the hell did he ever do to get near a world title shot i thought murray was a poor choice but god compared with kerry hope it dosnt look half bad

Advertisement