Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sergio Martinez vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr-Middleight Championship of the World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

darced wrote: »

Watch a lot of boxing then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gaybeer

Sergio won a pretty one sided fight. Short of the Mayweather fight he would be mad not to grant the rematch. He will make 3/4 times more fighting JCC than he would anyone else.

I could see Jnr having more success in a rematch given he knows he can hurt Martinez.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

darced wrote: »

He retired years ago..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Anyone have a link to watch this fight?

Trying to find one myself... if you come across anything let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

T-K-O wrote: »

Trying to find one myself... if you come across anything let me know
    boxingscene videos section

endswell wrote: »
    boxingscene videos section

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

would macklin chavez be a runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

First ever post to boards anyway was just wondering who do you think would win if martinez and mayweather where to fight i don't see it happening as floyd is unlikely to move up to middleweight and if martinez moves down at his age i fear he would be to weight drained. So what you think could it be a possible fight and at what weight, who do you think wins if martinez moves down then i fancy mayweather to take it but at middle i think martinez wins

First ever post to boards anyway was just wondering who do you think would win if martinez and mayweather where to fight i don't see it happening as floyd is unlikely to move up to middleweight and if martinez moves down at his age i fear he would be to weight drained. So what you think could it be a possible fight and at what weight, who do you think wins if martinez moves down then i fancy mayweather to take it but at middle i think martinez wins

I think Sergio offered Floyd the fight @150 at the beginning of this year. Would be a better fight at 154, no way Floyd is going to 160.

I think Sergio should do what it takes to make it happen. If he can't get Floyd he should look for Cotto at 154. He's 37. Only a few big fights left at this stage and Chavez should only be a back-up plan.

Apparently Martinez tore knee ligaments last night. Will need surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Henno30 wrote: »
    Apparently Martinez tore knee ligaments last night. Will need surgery.

+ broken hand & stitches to his cuts if reports are to be believed. He has nearly everything that lad ie; the grit for an absolute rumble, Kayo power & all the skills to "box" an opponent for points too. Seriously impressed by him last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Well done to Martinez, absolutely great fighter to watch. Always tries to put on a show. He seems like a really good guy outside of the ring aswell! A totally different class to Chavez!

And what can I say about Chavez? A complete embarrassment to his father and the sport to be honest!

I just don't understand this crap of draining himself to make the weight then putting on anything up to 2 stone before the fight!?
    He clearly shouldn't be anywhere near the middleweight division, he should step up to his true weight and see how well he can bully people his own size in the ring.

I think Everybody including himself know he couldn't compete with guys his own size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Thought Martinez was very impressive. Wasn't sure he really had much left after his last few fights but he totally outboxed Chavez last night. Was fairly stupid in the last round though, thought he was going to throw it away by mixing it when he had the fight won.

Thought max kellerman was a total embarrassment after the fight, fauning over a guy that only managed to win one round, comparing the fight to one of his fathers great fights and asking what this does for the chavez legacy. HBO arn't what they were

Just watched the fight. Martinez schooled the kid, totally outclassed.

In relation to the weight - if a guy makes weight he is entitled to fight at that weight. I'm sure we would like to change the rules and we would all have different ideas on that.

Chavez is not the first guy to cut down and he wont be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Just watched the fight. Martinez schooled the kid, totally outclassed.

In relation to the weight - if a guy makes weight he is entitled to fight at that weight. I'm sure we would like to change the rules and we would all have different ideas on that.

Chavez is not the first guy to cut down and he wont be the last.

I think it's the fact he has used illegal methods to make weight, and the way drug testing has been carried out in his following fights that make people angry with him fighting at that weight. It is pretty much unheard of for a Middleweight to be weighing 185+ lbs on the night, that's what Light-Heavyweights come in at.

Now we're not gonna speculate about who's taking what on this forum, but I think people would accept Chavez jnr fighting at this weight a lot more if he were to undergo rigorous drug testing procedures while he does it. Also actually staying on the scales for more than 1 second might make people less suspicious of him aswell.

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote: »
    I think it's the fact he has used illegal methods to make weight, and the way drug testing has been carried out in his following fights that make people angry with him fighting at that weight. It is pretty much unheard of for a Middleweight to be weighing 185+ lbs on the night, that's what Light-Heavyweights come in at.

Now we're not gonna speculate about who's taking what on this forum, but I think people would accept Chavez jnr fighting at this weight a lot more if he were to undergo rigorous drug testing procedures while he does it. Also actually staying on the scales for more than 1 second might make people less suspicious of him aswell.

Of there is a lot going on around he Chavez camp but that is up to the powers that be to resolve. Systems and rules will be manipulated to gain that advantage. If he is not being tested properly, well thats scandalous.

The size difference V Martinez looked huge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Has anyone got a link to the post fight interviews by HBO?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

clubwelly wrote: »
    Has anyone got a link to the post fight interviews by HBO?

The only place I know is go to boxing scene video trading block and go to the thread started by obama. Go to the stream or download and move the clip to near the end

Of there is a lot going on around he Chavez camp but that is up to the powers that be to resolve. Systems and rules will be manipulated to gain that advantage. If he is not being tested properly, well thats scandalous.

The size difference V Martinez looked huge
    WBC Diamond middleweight champion Sergio Martinez revealed recently that he wanted extra testing done for his bout against WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. for their September 15th fight in Las Vegas, because he was worried about Chavez Jr having previously tested positive for a diuretic, a water draining drug that some fighters use to lose massive amounts of water weight in a short period of time in order to make weight for a fight that they normally couldn’t make because of their size.

Martinez told thaboxingvoice.com “I’m not comfortable because Chavez Jr did test positive for diuretic before and there were doubts that he has been tested in his last two fights. But honestly, if I would have asked for extra testing, I don’t think we would have a fight.

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/07/sergio-martinez-im-concerned-with-chavez-jr-because-hes-tested-positive-for-a-diuretic-in-the-past/

Chavez wouldn't do an unofficial weigh-in for HBO on Saturday night either.

Henno30 wrote: »
    Chavez wouldn't do an unofficial weigh-in for HBO on Saturday night either.

Him not doing the un official weight in is suspect only because of the other rumours doing the rounds.

Normally I would put that down to gamesmanship but dodging various blood /drug tests is worrying.

In saying all that Martinez is happy to fight him and apparently happy to fight a rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 54,702 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is it rumour or fact that JCC weighed north of 180 lbs? Anyway, 20-25 lbs in 24-30 hrs to me seems more a disadvantage. It's a lot of liquids and solids consumed in such a short space of time. Seems quite dangerous actually. JCC came in 2 lbs under the limit as well. I wonder what Martinez weighed in the ring? Probably 167-170? Healthy gain that.

walshb wrote: »
    Is it rumour or fact that JCC weighed north of 180 lbs? Anyway, 20-25 lbs in 24-30 hrs to me seems more a disadvantage. It's a lot of liquids and solids consumed in such a short space of time. Seems quite dangerous actually. JCC came in 2 lbs under the limit as well. I wonder what Martinez weighed in the ring? Probably 167-170? Healthy gain that.

Rumor, well at least the HBO commentators said that Chavez refused the non official weight in, so we don't know for sure. However when they fought on the inside he looked huge compared to Martinez.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

It's fact that he has weighed in excess of 180 lbs before, and therefore likely was again on Saturday. Most people believe somewhere between 180-185 lbs.
    His amazing stamina (okay he didn't throw that many punches Saturday, but it other fights) seems almost super human considering the way he goes about things.

I think Martinez was 168 lbs, but I'm not certain about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Can't be good for your body, no. Especially since he's a proven user of diuretics to illegally cut the weight, which is known to be bad for your liver and kidneys. He won't be able to do that forever.

In terms of the fight, that extra weight is obviously a disadvantage if you're a quick, speed style fighter. For a fighter like Chavez, it's a huge advantage to have that much weight over your opponent. His 'style' is basically leaning his head on you and hammering away to the body and head. Having a near 190 pounder leaning on you all night is going to wear you out. Thankfully Sergio has the speed and class to nullify that and make Chavez look every bit the horrible, limited fighter he is. Hasn't even got a jab to work behind and work his way in close. He was utterly exposed that night. Good riddance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

To be honest the financial rewards on offer will ensure there is a replay...Martinez seems happy enough to accept a rematch obviously on a much closer purse split.

Chavez jnr's supposed indifferent attitude to his training came back to haunt him as he simply didnt have the energy to finish Martinez off. I accept the one sided beating he took also came into play here but there is no doubt his prepartions were under par.

Martinez for 11 rounds was absolutely incredible. What talent!

Advertisement