Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

No
    Cienciano wrote: »
    The start of operation damage limitation begins! Don't forgive Lance for him, do it for the millions of cancer sufferers out there!

If he does confess, i'd say it could be along those lines alright...

I'm imagining something like " i pumped myself full of chemicals for years so that future cancer sufferers won't have to. in the end who's the bigger villain here? me??? or the cancer!"

If he confesses and uses the C-word in any way to justify his actions, then its as despicable as that time Saddam Hussein packed his palace full of little rich white kids during the Gulf War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭resdubwhite

No
    leftism wrote: »

If he confesses and uses the C-word in any way to justify his actions, .
    I think thats a given.
    One of the motivations to confess would be to get the Livestrong business going again.
    That and if he can get a deal to avoid prosecution, but then he'd probably have to shop Hein/Pat and Bruyneel.

Of course, then Walsh/O'Reilly/Hamilton/Swart can drag him through the courts system.

I look forward to it with great anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    Lol!

Fat Cyclist (@fatcyclist) tweeted at 5:04 PM on Sat, Jan 05, 2013:
    BREAKING NEWS: I'm considering leaking to the press speculation that I'm considering acknowledging something that everyone already knows.
    (https://twitter.com/fatcyclist/status/287605485841022977)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No
    It's like the kettle calling the kettle black!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

He had this all planned since 1999, he knew he would have to become the greatest athlete of all time, winning the tour seven times. Even Lance knew he couldn't go on winning the tour into his forties so he devised a plan. He told other cyclists that they would have to leak to the press that he was doped, he knew that once he retired that to make people aware of cancer he would have to be back in the limelight but nobody wants to read about forty year olds, so much like Jesus died for our sins by allowing himself to be crucified by the Romans and getting himself into the bible, Lance is allowing his reputation to be crucified by the press for people ignorant of cancer everywhere, so we can be aware. But let it be told that Lance will rise again.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Ah to be honest i loved watching him drugs or no drugs he's still a super bike rider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No
    Ah to be honest i loved watching him drugs or no drugs he's still a super bike rider.

No he's not. He wears black socks. End of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

No

Without drugs you will find him an average bike rider. So you are so very wrong there fanboy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

...he's still a super bike rider.
    As good as me :). He won the same number of TdF stages as I have ;).

Without drugs you will find him an average bike rider. So you are so very wrong there fanboy

eh i don't think so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    Seweryn wrote: »

He has got 2 still on record afaik

Seweryn wrote: »

yeah course you are your just playing with words,
    i'm not been a smart ass lads honest but give me a break he was a class act you can not take that from him.
    yeah easy to kick a man when he's down but for me he was the fecking greatest rider the world has ever seen
    well except for sean kelly.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

RobFowl wrote: »
    He has got 2 still on record afaik
    Me too :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

No
    i'm not been a smart ass lads honest but give me a break he was a class act you can not take that from him.
    yeah easy to kick a man when he's down but for me he was the fecking greatest rider the world has ever seen

Sean Kelly doped too............are all your idols like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

No

So manipulative c***s are considered class acts now, well holy god Miley!!

Surinam wrote: »
    Sean Kelly doped too............are all your idols like this?

will you stop he took a few polo mints thats all.
    sean kelly doped yeah right my ass.:P

No
    Class act?

you don't read much do you?

Re him being a great rider without the drugs.
    We'll never know. Drugs and their affects on people don't create a level playing field as different drugs give different benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Raymzor

No
    Prior to 1999 Armstrongs Grand Tour achievements were not hugely impressive. this gives an understanding of his ability as a Grand Tour Rider on "bread and water"?

Class act?

you don't read much do you?

Re him being a great rider without the drugs.
    We'll never know. Drugs and their affects on people don't create a level playing field as different drugs give different benefits.

No
    Raymzor wrote: »
    Prior to 1999 Armstrongs Grand Tour achievements were not hugely impressive. this gives an understanding of his ability as a Grand Tour Rider on "bread and water"?
    Lances best placed finish was 36th or something.
    but that was the era of Banesto/Geweiss/Once/Festina.

The biggest problem from the EPO era is that we will never know who was good enough and who wasn't.
    The claim that it was ok to dope because everyone else was doing it and the results should stand is naive at best.

But its ok now. Everyone stopped doping after 2006. Its ok people. Everything is fine now.
    ( Do I need to add a sarcastic smiley?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Hopefully, if he does decide to come clean, he will bring McQuaid down with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    I just find his lawyer funny. Trots out the "500-600 tests passed" line every 2 mins and now asked will lance confess, just shrugs his shoulders!! Meh maybe!

Anyway i have a fundamental problem with the idea a confession only comes if he can strike a deal with prosecutors to avoid the perjury charges. If jail was good enough for Marion Jones it's good enough for Lance.

No
    I just find his lawyer funny. Trots out the "500-600 tests passed" line every 2 mins and now asked will lance confess, just shrugs his shoulders!! Meh maybe!

Anyway i have a fundamental problem with the idea a confession only comes if he can strike a deal with prosecutors to avoid the perjury charges. If jail was good enough for Marion Jones it's good enough for Lance.
    If WADA come knocking on his door and he offers Verbruggen and the UCI, I think the feds and SCA will probably go away. Albeit with monies retrieved from US postal case and the SCA case.
    He pays back 15 mill to Feds 10 to SCA, in return doesn't go to jail and WADA get the UCI he may have a deal.

As it stands he's in serious trouble. The perjury charges will come his way this year for certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    If WADA come knocking on his door and he offers Verbruggen and the UCI, I think the feds and SCA will probably go away. Albeit with monies retrieved from US postal case and the SCA case.
    He pays back 15 mill to Feds 10 to SCA, in return doesn't go to jail and WADA get the UCI he may have a deal.

As it stands he's in serious trouble. The perjury charges will come his way this year for certain.

the US postal case is a lot more complicated than a straight $15 million, it'll be closer to $25 million on a deal i would imagine, as going through the courts could put it closer to $50 million.

No
    the US postal case is a lot more complicated than a straight $15 million, it'll be closer to $25 million on a deal i would imagine, as going through the courts could put it closer to $50 million.
    I've read somewhere that Lances net worth is somewhere close to 150 million.

If he settles this all up for say 50 in total he'll still have a comfortable retirement.
    (SCA/Times/Feds. probably Betsy, Emma. Greg too)
    And the Livestrong persona can be rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

No
    will you stop he took a few polo mints thats all.
    sean kelly doped yeah right my ass.:P

Are you a troll or are you actually being serious?

Sean Kelly did test positive - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Kelly_%28cyclist%29#Doping

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Surinam wrote: »
    Are you a troll or are you actually being serious?

Sean Kelly did test positive - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Kelly_%28cyclist%29#Doping

Genuine question from casual fan, Does that exclude Kelly from being a great rider

No
    T-K-O wrote: »
    Genuine question from casual fan, Does that exclude Kelly from being a great rider
    No.

But it certainly changes the perception somewhat. I have always wondered why Kelly is held is huge affection in this country whilst Roche is a relative outcast compared to Kellys legend.

No.

But it certainly changes the perception somewhat. I have always wondered why Kelly is held is huge affection in this country whilst Roche is a relative outcast compared to Kellys legend.

I struggle to reconcile Armstrong and his demotion to a nobody when we know for sure other guys cheated yet they remain legends of the sport.

It leaves a very sour taste and IMO calls into question the reputation of almost every successful rider in my lifetime

No
    T-K-O wrote: »
    I struggle to reconcile Armstrong and his demotion to a nobody when we know for sure other guys cheated yet they remain legends of the sport.

It leaves a very sour taste and IMO calls into question the reputation of almost every successful rider in my lifetime
    Armstrong destroyed the lifes of several people in his attempt to keep the sordid story under wraps.
    The evidence also shows that Armstrong in his attempt to win coerced others into doping.
    Personally I think everyone in the sport is tainted. Outside of Lemond, I don't think anyones reputation is in tact.

• Advertisement

Armstrong destroyed the lifes of several people in his attempt to keep the sordid story under wraps.
    The evidence also shows that Armstrong in his attempt to win coerced others into doping.
    Personally I think everyone in the sport is tainted. Outside of Lemond, I don't think anyones reputation is in tact.

Guys could and have walked away, refusing to take drugs. Do I believe Lance was a major player, of course but he wasn't the first and he wont be the last.

He made me do it.... is something a child would say. Armstrong is such a huge story sometimes the debate lacks balance.

Totally agree with your last statement

Advertisement