Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex-Christian Support group

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I bumped this thread because I attended and was a member of a christian church for over twenty years, through my childhood and teens and into my early twenties tipped into degrees of leadership. The best thing I ever did was leave. But I've no one to speak to about it, as either my friends and extended family have never been involved, and those who are still involved are so to varying degrees. I felt a need to write it all down, which I've done, but feel I'd like it to be validated somewhat. I've battled thru feeling hurt, angry, embarrassed, rejected, deprived, relieved and believe Ive missed out so much. My non involvement causes issues with family and affected realtionships in the past. I don't want a group that's goIng to compare and contrast all the bad things but a group that can truly understand me ( and not secretly go and pray for me because I'm being blinded by the devil), not judge me and share positive experiences, how to get by with day to day difficulties. I was blinded by the light I was told to seek and would genuinely love support. That's my layman's reasoning anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

kylith wrote: »
    Since Jesus said that people who want to follow him should sell their possessions and give all the money to the poor, and you obviously haven't done this, what with having a computer and all, so you are not a true Christian either, and therefore unqualified to pass judgement (which a true christian shouldn't do anyway) on what other people may or may not need post religion.

To clarify:
    I've not cast judgement on this thread at all. I merely said that if one had genuinely seen "the Christian walk of life" as Jesus has described in the New Testament, one wouldn't have a need to set up a support group.

By the by, Mark chapter 10 and Matthew 19 have been tackled over on the Christianity forum quite extensively. Here's one of my posts on the issue. It'd be good to discuss certainly, and I would welcome that. I'd welcome walking through Jesus' words with you and anyone else.

It's not my place to judge at all, it's God's place. I have no such right, particularly when I believe that God has spared His wrath from me by sending His Son to save me from the rightful penalty of sin. More than happy to talk about that with you and anyone else also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

philologos wrote: »
    I merely said that if one had genuinely seen "the Christian walk of life" as Jesus has described in the New Testament, one wouldn't have a need to set up a support group.
    As above, I disagree. I've seen what happens when people are unable to limit the extent of their religious beliefs -- something you seem to have philosophical problems at least doing yourself -- and it can be a pretty unpleasant sight. One guy I knew committed suicide perhaps twenty years ago, and purely on account of his religious beliefs (a weird mishmash of catholicism mixed with some protestant-style revelation).

That Jesus quote about coming to separate a mum from her daughter, a father from his son etc springs to mind. And not just because it's one of the only truly accurate prophesies that the bible contains.

Or, more likely, perhaps you simply haven't seen what happens when people can't control their religious beliefs and can't imagine that what's no doubt the warm glow of fellowship that you feel now, takes on a sharp, very chilly edge as the years go by.

robindch: I guess, if I truly believe that God created the universe, and if I truly believe that God has revealed Himself to us, and indeed has given us standards to base our lives on, why would I limit that? Surely the reasonable position in that situation is to live for Him in His creation? I appreciate your concern, but I don't think it is well founded in the slightest. Yes, I understand that many people find my beliefs bizarre, but honestly I can say that I have a much healthier attitude to other people, and the place of mere material things in my life as a result.

I find the quote from Jesus where He says that families will be divided on account of His name strikingly true for a different reason. Namely, the world is largely intolerant to anyone who bases their lives wholeheartedly on the words of Jesus. Fortunately, that isn't true in the case of my family, but I know that it is true of many others in the world.

I've long stopped caring if people think I'm a fundamentalist, or who thinks I and others are nuts for believing wholeheartedly in Jesus. The cost of holding the beliefs I do is that some people will think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Phil, with all due respect, do you not think your "true Christian experience" comment (in the context of this thread) was unhelpful? While I'm sure you believe your version of Christianity is the right one and you certainly appear to be of one of the more pleasant variety, BUT likewise the nastier Christians also say they are the true Christians and your "Christian experience" is not the true one.

• Advertisement

if I truly believe that God created the universe, and if I truly believe that God has revealed Himself to us, and indeed has given us standards to base our lives on, why would I limit that?
    Because -- like the billions of people who went before you with different religious beliefs, each one of whom thought themselves similarly possessed of infinite truth -- you might be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Galvasean wrote: »
    Phil, with all due respect, do you not think your "true Christian experience" comment (in the context of this thread) was unhelpful? While I'm sure you believe your version of Christianity is the right one and you certainly appear to be of one of the more pleasant variety, BUT likewise the nastier Christians also say they are the true Christians and your "Christian experience" is not the true one.

Yeah Phil- this is the very same question I put to you in another thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

To clarify:
    I've not cast judgement on this thread at all. I merely said that if one had genuinely seen "the Christian walk of life" as Jesus has described in the New Testament, one wouldn't have a need to set up a support group.

In your opinion. Personally I think that anyone who believes some if not most of claims emanating from most religions could do with some sort of support upon relinquishing said beliefs and discovering an intellectual liberation where the shackles of ignorance can be dispelled for reason and logic, and where they can hopefully see the true wonder of the world and the universe without needing recourse to some made-up celestial dictatorship.

I know I find the universe and the amazing things within it more awe-inspiring than any miraculous claims our world religions make. Things like event horizons and evolution and the randomness of our existence - its precarious and fragile nature - and the sheer power of the human mind, but yet the vastness of the things it doesn't yet know and will probably never know.

These phenomenon to name but a few, and the things we can learn about them should make getting up in the morning worthwhile and are surely more impressive than some convoluted nonsense about a 3-in-1 god who sent his only son, who happened to be part of himself to earth in order to be given as a human sacrifice/quasi suicide to save us all from the sins we hadn't committed yet, only to resurrect as some sort of zombie. Even the "miracles" he apparently carried out along the way are bland in comparison to say what you'd find in a JK Rowling book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I merely said that if one had genuinely seen "the Christian walk of life" as Jesus has described in the New Testament, one wouldn't have a need to set up a support group.
    I realise you think you're trying to help but in this thread, the reason it was started, the point the OP was making, you're not wanted. You're coming across as a barman storming an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. You don't like Scripture? Here's a bit more. It's a bit offside to be honest.
    but honestly I can say that I have a much healthier attitude to other people, and the place of mere material things in my life as a result.
    According to you and you only

Phil, with all due respect, do you not think your "true Christian experience" comment (in the context of this thread) was unhelpful?

I only posted it to cause the OP to question if he was really talking about Christian experience. Perhaps I was a little quick off the mark.
    While I'm sure you believe your version of Christianity is the right one and you certainly appear to be of one of the more pleasant variety, BUT likewise the nastier Christians also say they are the true Christians and your "Christian experience" is not the true one.

The beautiful thing is, it isn't about my version of Christianity. We can clearly see what Jesus advocated on the pages of the New Testament. It is clear to say the least as to the life that He called us to lead. I'd encourage people just to pick up Mark's Gospel and see.

I guess, I'd be more interested in discussing why people feel the need for one of these, and yeah perhaps I was a little quick off the mark, but I'm mostly certain that very little of this stuff will actually have any grounding in what Jesus actually said.

I'd be fascinated in particular to discuss the experiences of some posters who have said that they would need a support group, and believe it or not, I'd be willing to just listen for a bit!

Rí na hEireann: I had a response ready for you, but I'm not sure if I want to muddy the waters any more by responding to it here. I'll leave you a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

The beautiful thing is, it isn't about my version of Christianity. We can clearly see what Jesus advocated on the pages of the New Testament. It is clear to say the least as to the life that He called us to lead. I'd encourage people just to pick up Mark's Gospel and see.

Just to pick up on this bit, is it not the case that there are allegorical and metaphorical stories contained within the bible? In interpreting these stories, how do you determine that the interpretation you have is necessarily the correct one? In addition to that, given the fact that such an ancient document has gone through many translations and that some of the translations may not have been entirely accurate, how do you come to the conclusion that you are reading a fully accurate account of what the historical person Jesus said/thought. Also, how do you reconcile some of the contradictions within the bible?

My point is that I don't think there can be one definitive version of what christianity is, as evidenced by the fact that there are different interpretations of the message that he supposedly espoused and the manipulation of it by historic and modern figures. So to say that what you believe is the definitive version of the truth of the matter is, to me, a bit presumptuous.

Improbable wrote: »

Just to pick up on this bit, is it not the case that there are allegorical and metaphorical stories contained within the bible? In interpreting these stories, how do you determine that the interpretation you have is necessarily the correct one? In addition to that, given the fact that such an ancient document has gone through many translations and that some of the translations may not have been entirely accurate, how do you come to the conclusion that you are reading a fully accurate account of what the historical person Jesus said/thought. Also, how do you reconcile some of the contradictions within the bible?

My point is that I don't think there can be one definitive version of what christianity is, as evidenced by the fact that there are different interpretations of the message that he supposedly espoused and the manipulation of it by historic and modern figures. So to say that what you believe is the definitive version of the truth of the matter is, to me, a bit presumptuous.

There's parable in the Bible sure. I'm not convinced that parable of necessity means unclear either. There's also a heck of a lot of plain speaking as to how we as Christians should then live in this creation. I'd encourage you to look into Matthew 5 through 8 or Luke 6. It's pretty clear and radical stuff about how those who belong to Jesus should live.

As for alleged contradictions we've had many on the Atheist / Christian debate thread on the Christianity forum. None have held up on scrutiny to date. I'd encourage you to post any you claim to have over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I guess, I'd be more interested in discussing why people feel the need for one of these, and yeah perhaps I was a little quick off the mark, but I'm mostly certain that very little of this stuff will actually have any grounding in what Jesus actually said.
    Why on earth would an "Ex-Christian Support group" have any mention of anything in scripture? Would an Ex-Scientology Support Group talk about Xenu? Would an AA meeting discuss the merits of different types of beer?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

The beautiful thing is, it isn't about my version of Christianity. We can clearly see what Jesus advocated on the pages of the New Testament.
    So your version of christianity is the One True Version and anybody who calls themselves a christian, but who disagrees with you about something, is wrong?

And more generally, as I asked last night, when you suggested that there should be no limits on what you do in the service of your religion, you believe that it's impossible that you could be wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

A lot of former-atheists also attends meetings once a week called "mass". Good luck with your new church, op.

We can clearly see what Jesus advocated on the pages of the New Testament.

To that end, have you given away all your posessions yet?
    tony81 wrote: »
    A lot of former-atheists also attends meetings once a week called "mass". Good luck with your new church, op.

You do realise that not every instance where multiple people meet up is a mass?
    Of course you do. I smell a troll attempt.

To that end, have you given away all your posessions yet?
    I think that bit was metaphorical - Jesus was probably talking about giving away your religion all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

There's parable in the Bible sure. I'm not convinced that parable of necessity means unclear either. There's also a heck of a lot of plain speaking as to how we as Christians should then live in this creation. I'd encourage you to look into Matthew 5 through 8 or Luke 6. It's pretty clear and radical stuff about how those who belong to Jesus should live.

As for alleged contradictions we've had many on the Atheist / Christian debate thread on the Christianity forum. None have held up on scrutiny to date. I'd encourage you to post any you claim to have over there.

"Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."

To that end, have you given away all your posessions yet.

I dealt with that already in another post on this thread. I linked to a post where I look clearly to the context of the discussion and how Jesus deals with Zaccheus in another context.

You should read what I've already posted before responding. robindch could do with going the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Obviously "give away all your possessions" means something completely different when read with an open heart. As doe practising righteousness in front of others.

• Advertisement

You should read what I've already posted before responding. robindch could do with going the same.
    Come on, this is a discussion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I dealt with that already in another post on this thread. I linked to a post where I look clearly to the context of the discussion and how Jesus deals with Zaccheus in another context.

When I click the link to the post where you discuss this:
    Not Found

The page you requested does not exist on the server.

Maybe try a search?

He probably doesn't have time to write it again. Or maybe you're just not ready for a discussion with him.

robindch wrote: »
    Come on, this is a discussion :)

I agree it is. I posted it on this thread.

Edit: Sorry Penn - link is fixed here for some reason IE10 on Windows 8 messes up the URL entry.
    link here .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Let's go to the non drinking forum and tell people, former alcoholics and all, they didn't really understand how to enjoy alcohol properly and they didn't try REAL alcohol if they didn't drink -my favourite brand of drink-
    constructive

I agree it is. I posted it on this thread.

Edit: Sorry Penn - link is fixed here for some reason IE10 on Windows 8 messes up the URL entry.
    link here .

Interesting read I'll give you that. Thanks for sharing. I concede the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

If you had truly experienced the "Christian walk of life" you wouldn't be setting up a support group.

The loss of identify, of acceptance from Christian family and society, when someone leaves the church is certainly something someone would need support for.

Or put it another way, if you found out tomorrow that Christianity is a lie I imagine you would be devastated, your entire world view would have been turned up side down and you would be torn between continuing in the community that has offered so much comfort and peace and accepting the reality that none of it is based on anything real.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

bluewolf wrote: »
    Let's go to the non drinking forum and tell people, former alcoholics and all, they didn't really understand how to enjoy alcohol properly and they didn't try REAL alcohol if they didn't drink -my favourite brand of drink-
    constructive
    Indeed. Regardless of your actual beliefs, posting on an ex Christian support thread to extol the virtues of Christianity shows an astounding lack of sensitivity and empathy towards others.

Jebus is WAY more important than having tact or considering the feelings of other people.

• Advertisement

Ah, I'm sure his intentions were good (if a little misguided).

Advertisement