Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom - More changes - not for the better

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I hate all this "double-act" crap .....it seems to be what we listeners want.....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

thalia_13 wrote: »
    This morning was atrocious, but one plus was not having to listen to Michelle and her awful pretend whiny excitement!

I wasn't mad about her either, but I thought she worked quite well as a subject for Richie to take the piss out of.

Phantom is gonna start at 10am for me from now on. The new breakfast show is like listening to two secondary school kids talking shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

Phantom is gonna start at 10am for me from now on. The new breakfast show is like listening to two secondary school kids talking shite.

For what it's worth, they've said each morning that they're only filling in on breakfast for the next 3 weeks until the "new breakfast show" starts. I'll be very interested to see what that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I hate all this "double-act" crap .....it seems to be what we listeners want.....:confused:

It was far better when Sinister Pete presented it. On his own, read his own news and gave his own weather report via the 'weather bike.'

Bring back Sinister Pete!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

infacteh wrote: »
    It was far better when Sinister Pete presented it. On his own, read his own news and gave his own weather report via the 'weather bike.'

Bring back Sinister Pete!

Hear hear!... And don't forget his speaking clock! Why oh why was Sinister Pete removed from breakfast? That was part of the downhill changes initiated over the last two years.

Also: bring back Bedrock. That was a great show. At least John Caddell is still with the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

At least John Caddell is still with the station.

Caddell is the station's one saving grace!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hichcock

some eve shows are still worth checking out but id imagine the writing is on the wall for them also.

all this got me thinking what if you won euro millions and were in a position to buy phantom with no concerns as to listener figures or advertising revenue and were able to fund the station independently

what would be your new weekday lineup and schedule
    no playlist allowed new station policy

7-9 pearl a week day show Sunday m com down is for sun
    9 - 12 tom Dunne breakfast he has a soft voice (im a late riser i just won the lotto)
    12-2.30 john cadell
    2.30 - 5 Richie
    5- 7 Dave fanning he used to have a good drive show
    7-8 classic album archive Derick Byrne
    8 - 10 paul mcluain

ill post my after hours schedule when i sort out the method I'm Gona use to dispose of Clare becks body

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

oh no....as if his head's not big enough already....:D

My list of shows...

Only one show .....24hr non stop rock/indie ... ,no ads except for a couple of jingles per hour...NO TALKING whatsoever..except for hourly news..

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Well that's another time window that Phantom has lost me for. I already abandoned them for the afternoon in the face of an Alison Curtis onslaught. Goodbye to Phantom in the mornings too.

Regarding Alison Curtis: I go to Phantom to listen to music. The fact that it's mainly a talk show already puts it at a disadvantage in my eyes. What's worse though is that it's not even a particularly good or insightful talk show. Also, it's on at the same time as the vastly superior Moncrieff show, so listeners who want talk can just go to Newstalk and be much better off.

The playlist is obviously an issue for Phantom as well. A few years ago I remember that Phantom's playlist had 100+ songs on it to choose from. You would hardly even notice that there was a set playlist. It's decreased in number steadily over time to 28 songs on this week's playlist. There goes (went) diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I stopped listening to the morning show completely at least six months ago as was fed up with the juvenile dribblings of Richie McCormick. It's depressing how many people on this thread actually think he was good. I had a sinking feeling about Pure Morning the minute they went from Sinister Pete (who was great) to the male/female double act. It was obvious that they were trying to turn the show into yet another "zany" "look at us we're mad we are!!" breakfast show. Because we don't have enough of those on Irish radio.

I listen to Nova now which, while tedious at times, at least has the benefit of only one morning DJ which means more music. RIP Phantom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

I quite liked what I heard on the breakfast show this morning. DJs don't bother me as long as the play good music and while I only heard bits of it this morning, the music selection was more in tune with what I usually listen to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Everlong1 wrote: »
    I stopped listening to the morning show completely at least six months ago as was fed up with the juvenile dribblings of Richie McCormick. It's depressing how many people on this thread actually think he was good. I had a sinking feeling about Pure Morning the minute they went from Sinister Pete (who was great) to the male/female double act. It was obvious that they were trying to turn the show into yet another "zany" "look at us we're mad we are!!" breakfast show. Because we don't have enough of those on Irish radio.

I listen to Nova now which, while tedious at times, at least has the benefit of only one morning DJ which means more music. RIP Phantom.

Sketch! I think he heard you. I surrendered the breakfast show in an attempt to win you back, but after the "juvenile dribblings" comment, I think us meeting for coffee would be too much too soon.

Thank you for the feedback

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Ha ha, Richie loves the haters, they're the only people he responds to!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Ha ha, Richie loves the haters, they're the only people he responds to!

No, neutrals too. See? Will gladly accept positive or negative, but what's to be gained from following up on positive messages?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Ciaran

He's the only one I listen to during the day anymore, I don't have the radio on in the evening so I miss the interesting shows after 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

fair play to pearl - starting off the this morning's show - her last: 'in the next hour, we'll have kings of leon and florence... no, wait, that's next week...'
    Gutted. This is race to the bottom stuff. People tune in to phantom for an alternative and now it seems they will provide us with only popular alternative music unaware? of the contradiction in terms. Well done Pearl, class opening line. Good luck Richie you are the funniest man on radio for my money.

Advertisement