Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom - More changes - not for the better

Options
  • 18-08-2012 11:04am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just posted this over on the phantom board but said i'd put it up here too.

Phantom - The END is in mid Sept.

So a little birdy tells me that Phantom are wiping out the entire weekend evening staff. Well the more obscure shows and replecing them with pre recorded shows from the boring morning and afternoon shows.

Great work phantom, I can safely say I will never listen to you once this happens.

Sunday morning coming down with Pearl - GONE.
    James Byrne - GONE
    Dee Reddy -GONE

Not sure about any others but I'd guess Tim O'D and Derek Byrne are also for the chop.

I'm guessing it's a cost saving measure. But to be honest the little slice of phantom that was worth listening to is no longer with us.

I'd urge you all to tune in the last few weeks and bid a fond farewell to some great music and some great people. I'll update this as i hear more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

That is a shame. Almost time now for a new pirate alternative rock station in a garden shed like the good old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

TBH the only programme i turn off is that afternoon show Feedback...far too much yapping...stick it on when i'm watchin Corrie...:D.....i only listen to the radio for music...i can get yapping at home thanx....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

At this stage of the game why don't they just send a feed from XFM and be done with it..

Since Nova arrived it seems to have dwindled down to the same listeners figures as Sunshine. I'm not sure what the answer is. Perhaps a re launch would be a good start.

I'm not sure who Phantom is aimed at...its certainally not me (48 year old male ).....i like indie/punk/alternative music thats why I listen'
    Not sure theres enough students and non hip hop/r&b listeners out there in the age group they aim for.....And if theres a station on in a shop/business, i'll bet its Nova, with their "safe" rock......
    I've noticed them playing more classic rock stuff too since Nova aired...
    As an x-Nova listener i only listen to Phantom now (xcept Feedback) but as with most stations on air theres far too much chat on the "music " stations....
    I doubt if theres anybody who listens to their iPod or phones that would download endless chat......just my opinions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

For anyone interested, Phantom have a listener survey every month. It might be worthwhile giving your opinions here:
    http://www.mypollsurveys.com/survey.php?option=com_mypoll&view=mypollsurvey&sid=204

It's such a shame to see what has become of the station. It's supposed to be an alternative station so why relegate the truly alternative shows to nighttime and evening slots? While I'm not a fan of a lot of the music on Pearl's show, at least it's something different and not filled with indie pop bands like nearly every other show on the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

I'm sure it's been highlighted before on here...... but their breakfast show is unbearable. I remember they had an ad years ago slagging the typical morning show to be found on other stations, telling listeners that we're different. They sold their soul. Shades of Radio Ireland. To paraphrase Alan Partridge.. 'This world!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

I'm sure it's been highlighted before on here...... but their breakfast show is unbearable. I remember they had an ad years ago slagging the typical morning show to be found on other stations, telling listeners that we're different. They sold their soul. Shades of Radio Ireland. To paraphrase Alan Partridge.. 'This world!'

I totally agree with this. I recently went back to listening to Phantom in the mornings and was shocked how similar it was to the awfulness of 98fm or 104. The only difference is the type of music they play. Thats when they decide to eventually play a song.

Don't they realise how irritating it is when presenters try to be "wacky" or "hilarious" ?

I've found an Aussie radio station that plays 90's indie/alternative non-stop so thats what I listening to at the moment.

Having said that Phantom Anthems is a great show. Shame about the morning one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

That fecking quiz is bloody awful on the breakfast show.
    Bandie about or something.

Richie from stadium rock is terrible. Does he still phone his mum?

I drew a line when they gave that Vogue person from that tv thing Fade St a slot.

It is a shame because it could be so good.

Zamboni wrote: »

I drew a line when they gave that Vogue person from that tv thing Fade St a slot.

I agree, although I don't mind Richie too much

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

I've found an Aussie radio station that plays 90's indie/alternative non-stop so thats what I listening to at the moment.
    What is the station Tommy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

miketv wrote: »
    What is the station Tommy?

If you have a smartphone download the TuneIn Radio (free) and the station is called Tunn90s.

Its a great app actually as it will suggest radio stations based on your listening history.

Let me know what you think.

You can listen online as well http://tunein.com/radio/Tunn90s-s149619/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

As ever, all feedback appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

RichieMc wrote: »
    As ever, all feedback appreciated

Hey if this is actually Richie, please get rid of bandieabout.
    I think yourself and Michelle have probably the best show on the station to be honest but you gotta lose the reverse spelling bee though!
    A quick quiz based on the actual band would result in actual fans winning tickets.

Hey Zamboni, cheers for the feedback.

Listeners enter competitions because they're fans of the act we have tickets for - usually. But, as with any show, we need to be as egalitarian as possible to give everyone a level playing field.

We're always working to improve the show and put the best 3 hours possible on air, and all feedback is indeed welcome. Even (as is often the case here) the negative stuff.

Cheers

Richie

Richie..i beg you to stop Michelle from saying Vooodarfone...it itches me teeth.............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

According to todays Herald Michelle Doherty is leaving Phantom to pursue a movie career.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Zamboni wrote: »

I used to listen to Phantom for years as a pirate, but stopped about a year after it got licenced. But please tell me you're taking the piss about Vogue. If I wanted to sink a radio station and get it to lose any credability, that's exactly who I'd get in.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I used to listen to Phantom for years as a pirate, but stopped about a year after it got licenced. But please tell me you're taking the piss about Vogue. If I wanted to sink a radio station and get it to lose any credability, that's exactly who I'd get in.

You seem more knowledgeable about Vogue/Fade St than you do about Phantom. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You seem more knowledgeable about Vogue/Fade St than you do about Phantom. Pity.
    Fade street has more street cred than Phantom at this stage, so that's a complement.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Fade street has more street cred than Phantom at this stage, so that's a complement.

Where to begin with that one? Enjoy your thread folks. Am always available on Twitter etc.

• Advertisement

I can't wait for the day when a Radio station launches a down beat breakfast show. This could be you Phantom. I don't mind the male presenter in the morning. But the girl from the north strikes me as someone who knew nothing about the 'cool' indie scene until they gave her a quick crash course on all the must know bands. ie. She's like a manufactured indie disc jockey/presenter. The irony

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Deediddums

Nice! You mean irony in it's true sense then, as in "the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning". Because you obviously knew that Michelle hosted Night Shift on Channel 6 and When Under Ether on RTE2 before and after coming on board at Phantom? No crash course needed I'd imagine.

Deediddums wrote: »
    Nice! You mean irony in it's true sense then, as in "the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning". Because you obviously knew that Michelle hosted Night Shift on Channel 6 and When Under Ether on RTE2 before and after coming on board at Phantom? No crash course needed I'd imagine.

She's no Edith Bowman or Jo Whiley.........thats for sure...

Sids Not wrote: »
    She's no Edith Bowman or Jo Whiley.........thats for sure...

By which, I'm sure you mean, she didn't get ahead because of who she married

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Going back to the original post, is there any official announcement on the dramatic changes to the weekend schedule? If it is not official, how reliable is the OP's source of information?

I hope Phantom don't intend to become more automated over the weekends, because it certainly would seem a wee bit ominous if that were the case. Say what you like about Phantom as it currently stands (and let's face it: it couldn't continue in the same way as the pirate days with all the commercial realities and licence conditions etc etc). The point is that if Phantom goes under completely we will never have a hope again of any kind of alternative music-based licenced radio station (at least on this platform anyway)....Oh, and Nova will get complacent and not make any effort at all at being adventurous.

Sadly, I don't have the answers. I am not an expert - just a listener and an anorak.

Maybe the fact that a number of the original lineup of presenters, when it launched with the full licence back in 2006, are still with Phantom suggests that something is going right for some people... or maybe that's just delusional. Still there (for the moment anyway) are: Richie McCormack, John Caddell, Richie Ryan, Ray McGowan, Cathal Funge, Laura Lee Conboy, Shane Galvin, James Byrne, Pearl, Jack Hyland and Nadine O'Regan.

One can but hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Have to agree with most that's been said above. I was a huge fan of Phantom but have started listening less and less since about a year or so after they were granted their licence.

Tuned into Alison Curtis at the weekend and had to turn off, as one texter to the show asked was it the FM104 Phone Show. She spent most of the time talking about the taxi strike and crisp flavours. Not the Phantom I want.

The music has changed over the years. Before it was music that you normally wouldn't hear on the radio. In fact we couldn't get it where we lived but over time we were able to tune in (and XFM London).

Miss Sinister Pete but I cannot stand listening to Richie talking to his mum about football. Arggggg.

EDIT: I see that Communicorp has a 30% in Phantom since 2010, didn't realise that. That explains alot. I have Phantom & Newstalk tuned in beside each others and there have been several instances where I changed from Newstalk to Phantom to hear some music, only to realise I'd been listening to Phantom.

By which, I'm sure you mean, she didn't get ahead because of who she married

NO ..i mean she's crap imo......she's there because of what she looks like ,not her musical knowledge.....but i do like you..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Just want to say I actually really enjoy the breakfast show. I listen most mornings. There's a lot of negativity around these parts...

I used to work in radio, you guys are doing a sometimes thankless job.

silvine wrote: »
    Just want to say I actually really enjoy the breakfast show. I listen most mornings. There's a lot of negativity around these parts...

I used to work in radio, you guys are doing a sometimes thankless job.

"If ya cant stand the heat.....".......:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Going back to the original post, is there any official announcement on the dramatic changes to the weekend schedule? If it is not official, how reliable is the OP's source of information?
    nothing official, but i heard the same thing directly from a Phantom DJ today; that several of the shows will be finishing in a few weeks.

Advertisement