Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom - More changes - not for the better

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

sin0city wrote: »
    IMO Richie is a complete twat.

sin0city wrote: »
    Sorry Richie, nothing personal. :o

heheheh

Thanks for that. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Also noted them playing a Kate Bush pop song as well. The station is now operating in complete joke mode!

Seriously... Kate Bush has more talent in her little finger than most bands have as a whole. Good on Phantom for playing her. The fact that they play the Killers though is just plain sad. How the likes of Kings of Leon and The Killers remain popular despite having produced pure kack from day 1 is just incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Does anyone else find phantom doesn't stay tuned in? Its been happening for about a month on my car radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Does anyone else find phantom doesn't stay tuned in? Its been happening for about a month on my car radio?

Yes, i'm finding that lately too...........although its more to do with me turning the knob.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

squonk wrote: »
    Seriously... Kate Bush has more talent in her little finger than most bands have as a whole. Good on Phantom for playing her. The fact that they play the Killers though is just plain sad. How the likes of Kings of Leon and The Killers remain popular despite having produced pure kack from day 1 is just incredible.
    Seriously! A Kate Bush hit POP song- no matter how good-does not belong on an ALTERNATIVE music station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I can't believe Pure Morning is ending. Gutted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Seriously! A Kate Bush hit POP song- no matter how good-does not belong on an ALTERNATIVE music station.

I'm sorry mate but that's pure bollocks!
    you'd be hard pushed to find a woman who's had more of an influence on alternative music in the last 30 years:she's the female Scott Walker for want of a better comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

punchdrunk wrote: »
    I'm sorry mate but that's pure bollocks!
    you'd be hard pushed to find a woman who's had more of an influence on alternative music in the last 30 years:she's the female Scott Walker for want of a better comparison!

+...its been a long time since Phantom was an "alternative " station.........

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

We love Phantom!

The dial (yea the radio is THAT old) hasn't changed in more that 4 years now but I'm worried after reading a news report recently that they are sinking..

I love Richie Ryan and Sunday Morning coming down, (one of the finest shows to be found on any radio station in the world) and John Cadell mid morning (I didn't like him at first but I warmed up to him very quickly)- I used to love Muireann O connell, she used to have me in stitches - but these last few week while I haven't exactly turned off Alison Curtis I certainly have turned her down - very rubbishy content.

Won't miss Michelle O doherty on pure morning she was better in the 10 o clock slot (or whatever time it was). But the station still plays the best music out of all the stations - I think it just needs a little bit more promotion - tons of people out there who like their music a little different have never heard of phantom - and it's almost impossible to pick up on our radio in work.

Be interesting to see what this shake up brings and please please don't make it like all the other crap radio out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

I won't miss yer wan Dee Reddy.

I tune in in the morning at the wknds sometimes (I think its Sats??) and she plays decent tunes but after EVERY song, without fail, as soon as the song ends she comes in like a foghorn with "WE ARE...PHANTOMMMMMMMM" - after EVERY f*cking song...

its enough to make me turn off the station, which I do. awful. really awful.

I mean, these are simple things surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Stopped listening about 2 years ago, BBC 6 Music is far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

Can't believe they're changing everything up again. I'd only just got used to Charlotte not being co presenter on pure morning. I really enjoyed the show - Richie cracks me up, which is impressive as I'm like a bear with a sore head in the mornings.
    Agree that bandy about was terrible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Anyone know exactly what the 'changes' are?

Richie, will you still be involved with Phantom or moving on completely?

Pure Morning is the only radio show i've bothered listening to for the last 5 years so quite disappointed really. Felt the show worked better with Charlotte but regardless will still bes missed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Anyone know exactly what the 'changes' are?

Richie, will you still be involved with Phantom or moving on completely?

Pure Morning is the only radio show i've bothered listening to for the last 5 years so quite disappointed really. Felt the show worked better with Charlotte but regardless will still bes missed.

I think Richie is gone to another station to do the sports desk? He'll confirm himself i'm sure.

I think it's Keith Walsh taking over in the mornings from now on...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fair play to pearl - starting off the this morning's show - her last: 'in the next hour, we'll have kings of leon and florence... no, wait, that's next week...'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Pearl is putting on a great last show. Really going to miss the show, it was the perfect Sunday morning antidote for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Ciaran

ongarite wrote: »
    Pearl is putting on a great last show. Really going to miss the show, it was the perfect Sunday morning antidote for me.
    Yeah, best thing on the radio for me. A sad indictment of Irish radio that I can't see any other station picking up the show.

I loved the KOL/FATM crack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hichcock

i feel so bad about all this culling of talent on phantom
    i was tuning about last night while waiting for james's show and came across city radio about 103 - 105 quite interesting anyone think there might be room for a few more recently available djs with impeccable taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I won't miss yer wan Dee Reddy.

I tune in in the morning at the wknds sometimes (I think its Sats??) and she plays decent tunes but after EVERY song, without fail, as soon as the song ends she comes in like a foghorn with "WE ARE...PHANTOMMMMMMMM" - after EVERY f*cking song...

its enough to make me turn off the station, which I do. awful. really awful.

I mean, these are simple things surely?

you do know that they are told to do that right? it's not by choice
    Dee has a great voice for radio imho,and what counts is that she genuinely comes across as loving the role of DJ and plays music she loves-as you said yourself she plays decent tunes!
    out of curiosity what bastion of Irish radio do you switch over to??

punchdrunk wrote: »
    you do know that they are told to do that right? it's not by choice
    Dee has a great voice for radio imho,and what counts is that she genuinely comes across as loving the role of DJ and plays music she loves-as you said yourself she plays decent tunes!
    out of curiosity what bastion of Irish radio do you switch over to??

i realise, perfectly, that they must say certain things. but all the Phantom DJs did NOT say it, all the time, after EVERY song.

It was awfully irritating. Which was a shame because she played good tunes. I'm sure other people didn't find it as irritating as me, and then also I'm sure I wasn't the only one too.

I listen to BBC6 primarily for music. I love their music and their DJs. They're just far far better at what they do, pure and simple. I don't blame Phantom for this, small country, budgets and so on...

Some Newstalk every so often.

• Advertisement

how do you get BBC 6
    any shows of note i should check out

BBC6 is digital so its on the interweb or else you can get a DAB radio. http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/

all the shows during the day are great. Sean Keaveny first thing is hilarious, Lauren Laverne next who's great too, Radcliffe and Maconie over lunch time all brilliant, knowledgeable and witty chat and a great mix of music old and new. Steve Lamacq is great too he brings you in to the evening. they also have other cool shows over the wknd with guest DJs like Jarvis Cocker's Sunday Service etc.

i tend not to listen in the evening that much for some reason - mainly cuz i'm doing other stuff probably

ill listen in this week was on their site earlier

cant believe them clowns oral and Eamon were kept on and hyland what a laughing stock phantom has become amed at kids .
    if i had my way i tell ya :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

hichcock wrote: »
    ill listen in this week was on their site earlier

cant believe them clowns oral and Eamon were kept on and hyland what a laughing stock phantom has become amed at kids .
    if i had my way i tell ya :mad:

Yeah, Orla and Eamonn Fennell taking over Pure Morning according to Richie's twitter........ Guess I'm going back to Ian Dempsey!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

infacteh wrote: »
    Yeah, Orla and Eamonn Fennell taking over Pure Morning according to Richie's twitter........ Guess I'm going back to Ian Dempsey!

I thought it was fecking Spin when I turned the radio on there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Only heard about 20 minutes this morning, but jesus it was painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

saw this on twitter, mp3s of the last shows (and some previous final shows):
    http://songbiscuit.tumblr.com/phantom

also, the playlist for Derek's final Lounge:
    http://phantom.ie/blogs/190.191.196.251/697/-/The_Lounge_Playlists%20-%20The_Very_Last_Lounge_-_Sunday_16_September

brilliant
    now wouldn't it be great it a few more of these shows were available on line to download

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Glad to hear it's not just me. Anyone know how to fix it?

Or is there any point with all the changes since I haven't been able to tune in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Only heard about 20 minutes this morning, but jesus it was painful!
    This morning was atrocious, but one plus was not having to listen to Michelle and her awful pretend whiny excitement! I really gonna miss Richie and Pearl. I am not the biggest fan of Naaad-een Oooooo Reeegan. Ridiculous enuncuation! Worse than spin DJs

Advertisement