Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom - More changes - not for the better

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

August 2012 it was announced that a number of weekend presenters would be leaving the station in a bid to boost ratings. They include Pearl, Dee Reddy, Shane Galvin, James Byrne and Derek Byrne. Co-host of Pure Morning, Michelle Doherty will also leave in mid-September to pursue an acting career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Oh no I love that Sunday morning show with Pearl :( She's the perfect cure for a hangover :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Sids Not wrote: »
    August 2012 it was announced that a number of weekend presenters would be leaving the station in a bid to boost ratings. They include Pearl, Dee Reddy, Shane Galvin, James Byrne and Derek Byrne. Co-host of Pure Morning, Michelle Doherty will also leave in mid-September to pursue an acting career.
    i'm not sure getting rid of some of the few DJs that actually pick out the something other than the same playlisted rubbish will make more people tune in on a Saturday night or Sunday morning. it will certainly lose lots of listeners like me who tune in especially for those shows.

of course, if they just get replaced with repeats or "best of" compilations fo the weekday shows, we'll know it was just a money saving exercise...

between these DJs, some of the others who've left in the last year or 2, and a few others that are still there, there's the makings of a great radio station, musically at least...

Sids Not wrote: »
    NO ..i mean she's crap imo......she's there because of what she looks like ,not her musical knowledge.....but i do like you..;)
    a radio presenter there for their looks? :confused:
    whatever about people's issues about her presenting style or accent (how they survive in Ireland with people from 9 counties+ with similar accents i don't know...), she certainly has a decent background and knowledge in alternative music, so i doubt she's there for her looks when people can't see her...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

People generally begrudge women for being good looking. Nothing new there.

• Advertisement

a radio presenter there for their looks? :confused:, so i doubt she's there for her looks when people can't see her...

So she's off to pursue an acting career, where people CAN see her........:rolleyes:

Theres plenty of good female dj's out there who'll never get a chance because of the likes of MD......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I won't miss Doherty when she leaves Pure Morning.

I would hope they bring back Charlotte Flood, she is much more entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Charlotte Flood hasn't gone away exactly. She is still producer of the morning show, as she was when she was co-presenter. Every so often she is brought into the conversation.

It just occurred to me that Phantom is going to be down three female presenters if the report is accurate: Michelle Doherty, Pearl and Dee Reddy. However, still there is Sinead Ni Churain, Orla Ormonde, Orlagh Donnelly, Clare Beck, Alison Curtis, Laura Lee Conboy and Nadine O'Regan. That's one thing about Phantom over the years since it won its current licence: it has had its fair share of female presenters. They included Edel Coffey, Emma Meehan, Sinead Ni Mhordha, Tara Loughney Grant, Fiona Scally and Amber.... and of course all those female newsreaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Flicking between Nova & Phantom this morning and apart from playing the same Nirvana track at the same time Phantom seemed to be playing more 'Nova' type tracks eg Bruce Springstein Dancing in the Dark than previous.

Phantom need to improve their audio - modulation is too low but also needs to play hard ball with the BAI re speech content and playlist restrictions.

Cutting live DJs is not going to solve the bigger issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 koconnell

Jenny Huston leaves 2fm around the same time that Michelle Doherty leaves Phantom...

Hmmmmmmmm. Pure Morning with Richie and Jenny?! Stranger things have happened.

(Nothing behind this by the way, just putting it out there. More than likely just me thinking up things!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Infoanon wrote: »
    Phantom seemed to be playing more 'Nova' type tracks eg Bruce Springstein Dancing in the Dark than previous.

You probably just happened to tune into the top 5 Bruce Springstein songs segment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

to be honest they should have just stayed a pirate.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

to be honest they should have just stayed a pirate.

TBH...i'm finding myself listening to Caroline through an FM/pc transmitter i picked up ....far better mix of rock music.....phantom and nova are sounding very samey lately...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hichcock

I heard pearl announce her penultimate show this morning and now I'm reading James Byrne is to get the chop as well these are two of the best shows on phantom and in my opinion make it worth tuning in.

here is how i roll religiously

Tuesday - far side
    wed - icon
    Thurs - Cinerama sometimes spiral stairs
    Fri - Tim then Shane
    sat- Tim then James
    sun- pearl ,power house,the lounge

as you can see i dint get out much :rolleyes:

all excellent shows due to their lack of play list

phantom is making a savage mistake by removing any of these shows there what keeps 105 on the dial on my radio

i used to listen to pure morning but I'm not up that early and the music can be a bit heavy at times for my old ears that hour of the day

Alison can be good but like a lot of shows on phantom its just play list which i don't think is aimed at my age demographic (38)

its good to see I'm not the oldest listener i see a 48 year old posting

slowly degrading is how i describe whats happening here i look back to theme time radio hour followed by x-1 on Sunday eve and think i will be doing the same in a few years regarding phantom. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I like phantom and the genuine interest their djs have in promoting new bands and live gigs. the majority of them could put any music annorak to shame. They make their best effort to play decent tunes even though they're under the playlist thumb from communicorp or whoever it is. I'm sure if you asked a few of the djs, they would tell you they can't stand some of the music they have to play (like the new muck released by the killers for example).

Its a shame to hear that the further alternative shows are being axed and will ad phantom to the absolute joke that Irish weekend radio is (apart from dave fanning on 2fm).

Bring back Muireann O'Connell BTW, cracking presenter when standing in for A Curtis and great banter with her producer. Get her in for the morning show replacement!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Bring back Muireann O'Connell BTW, cracking presenter when standing in for A Curtis and great banter with her producer. Get her in for the morning show replacement!

I heard Muireann O'Connell this evening on Today FM standing in for KC. She sounded quite comfortable. Of course Today FM is also owned by Communicorp, so anything is possible.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I see these have all been confirmed as of the last week.

Very upsetting to see some of these shows go, while I wouldn't listen every week the weekends I had nothing on, I'd tune in to James Byrne on Sat and Derek on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

There is some current 'hot' rubbish song that Today FM are pushing right now. It's on heavy rotation! Tuned over to Phantom last night to dodge yet another helping of said song. You guessed! Within a few minutes they were playing the same rubbish pop song. Also noted them playing a Kate Bush pop song as well. The station is now operating in complete joke mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Jumped in the van the other day...that wailing manwoman Marina and the machine or wetf theyre called was on...Hit another preset...same song, sh1t, must have pressed the same button...but alas no, the same song was on Today fm and Phantom at the same time.......:eek:......

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hichcock

has anyone noticed that at the end of Alison's show they now do news stories aka ray Foley today FM and a couple of times recently Alison has joked that there was so much they didn't get to do in todays show another ray foleyisim
    now ether she admires his style,or is being completely cynical
    or as they are within the same building with ultimately the same cooperate boss nudging her in to a zany afternoon show format by following his lead

heres a idea why not keep today FM the junk mainstream station it is
    allow news talk to tell the news without sensationalizing everything
    and keep phantom alternative

oh and cut all the big earners across your wireless empire to keep the true music loving ,passionate DJs on the air

pearl came in on Christmas day to do her show live ,and brilliant it was
    easter as well

James turns up live on Saturday night at 12 am - 2 most weeks live now thats dedication

sun eves Derick does 11-1 also dedication as is Shane on a Fri eve

only Tim and Cinerama left to tune in to all other shows ar homogenized and bland

Jesus comunicorp ***k off :eek:

• Advertisement

Charlotte Flood hasn't gone away exactly. She is still producer of the morning show, as she was when she was co-presenter. Every so often she is brought into the conversation.

It just occurred to me that Phantom is going to be down three female presenters if the report is accurate: Michelle Doherty, Pearl and Dee Reddy. However, still there is Sinead Ni Churain, Orla Ormonde, Orlagh Donnelly, Clare Beck, Alison Curtis, Laura Lee Conboy and Nadine O'Regan. That's one thing about Phantom over the years since it won its current licence: it has had its fair share of female presenters. They included Edel Coffey, Emma Meehan, Sinead Ni Mhordha, Tara Loughney Grant, Fiona Scally and Amber.... and of course all those female newsreaders.
    Orla Ormonde left a few weeks ago, gone off to Canada i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

james byrne and tim o donovan's shows will be missed by me. such a shame.
    always made driving a pleasure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

I don't think MD was ever comfortable doing Pure Morning.
    I don't blame her, IMO Richie is hard to listen to.

I thought Finest work songs was at its best when MD did it, I used to listen to it every day. Why they took her off it I've no idea.

I heard Muireann O'Connell this evening on Today FM standing in for KC. She sounded quite comfortable. Of course Today FM is also owned by Communicorp, so anything is possible.

I hate today fm. Just saying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sunday morning coming down was the only show on phantom i would deliberately tune in to listen to.
    do they really expect to get that many more listeners by sticking in some shoddy playlisted crap at ten on a sunday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Rumour has it ms Doherty won't be the only one leaving Pure
    Morning the week after next...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

sin0city wrote: »
    I don't think MD was ever comfortable doing Pure Morning.
    I don't blame her, IMO Richie is a complete twat.

I thought Finest work songs was at its best when MD did it, I used to listen to it every day. Why they took her off it I've no idea.

I LOVE praise, thanks :)

RichieMc wrote: »
    I LOVE praise, thanks :)

Sorry Richie, nothing personal. :o
    It was a bit harsh anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CJ_

I used to find Phantom Feedback quite entertaining, but lately it's been boring as hell! In fact, I've just tuned out of today's show.

Rubbish topics. Talking about flags the other day! :confused:

Hope they can improve it again.

• Advertisement

Rumour has it ms Doherty won't be the only one leaving Pure
    Morning the week after next...
    yep,
    https://twitter.com/RichieMcCormack/status/244058429231079424
    Next week is going to be my last presenting Pure Morning on @phantom1052. 100% my call too. Meself & @michelledohrty are going out in shtyle

Advertisement