Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom - More changes for the worse in mid Sept.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

con1982 wrote: »
    I thought Orla and Eamonn had good chemistry. It's a pity they weren't give a chance.

I thought it was a pity they were put on the radio at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Is Alison Curtis gone now too? Her show is still listed on the schedule but Finest worksongs and phantom drive now take up the slot. I assumed it was a temporary thing and that she might be sick or on holidays, but now they're talking like the new schedule is permanent.

Can't say I'd miss it as I never listened anyway. Not that I disliked her, there was just way too much talk. But if someone needed to be removed from the daytime schedule she certainly wouldn't be top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Is Alison Curtis gone now too? Her show is still listed on the schedule but Finest worksongs and phantom drive now take up the slot. I assumed it was a temporary thing and that she might be sick or on holidays, but now they're talking like the new schedule is permanent.

Can't say I'd miss it as I never listened anyway. Not that I disliked her, there was just way too much talk. But if someone needed to be removed from the daytime schedule she certainly wouldn't be top of the list.

According to a post in the Radio Forums, Alison Curtis and her producer (and weekly presenter) Orlagh Donnelly have indeed been dispensed with.

You can see the trend here - stretch each program so there well be less presenters, and, if there is any spare hour, put out a repeat. Or, am I being too cynical?

It is amazing that some of the original guys and girls from the 2006 launch managed to avoid the axe: John Caddell, Richie Ryan, Ray McGowan, Cathal Funge, Laura Lee Conboy, Nadine O'Regan and Jack Hyland. And I see that Derek Byrne has got his own show again.... at the expense of another casualty - Jim Carroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RadioAnalyst

This is the thread Declan is talking about:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056822166

Sad to see Alison and Orlagh go, but perhaps they will still remain as part-time presenters. Interesting that presenters so publically dismissed by Phantom recently and who made their feelings on the decision very clear on air are now back presenting programmes! A very strange corporate culture there, makes no sense. Just for clarity Declan, I think Jim Carroll left of his own accord.

Hopefully for Phantoms future, the new 4 hour shifts will help boost their overall minutes listened or at least the recall element of the JNLR and the perceived freshness may win back some disenfranchised Nova listeners who were probably Phantom listeners anyway. I feel I'm clutching at straws there however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Interesting that presenters so publically dismissed by Phantom recently and who made their feelings on the decision very clear on air are now back presenting programmes! A very strange corporate culture there, makes no sense. Just for clarity Declan, I think Jim Carroll left of his own accord.
    such as? :confused:

• Advertisement

One of the apparent victims of the September cull was on tonight - Dee Reddy. It looks like she was standing in for Tim O'Donovan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Michael_1

Miss that sexy Michelle though!!!

I heard Richie McCormack over the weekend doing the sport news on Newstalk.

so Tim O'Donovan is stopping presenting the Friday/Saturday night show:
    http://www.facebook.com/phantom1052/posts/514057775294831
    Time for me Tim O'Donovan's 2nd last ever Wkndr show on @phantom1052 tune in for chance to win tix for mine & @clairebeck1052 's NYE party at Pacino's Suffolk St :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISZacjyerqc

wonder if he's moving to a different slot, or leaving completely....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blumisalp

A long shot but......since a number of you seem to recall presenters from Phantom's pirate days, I was wondering if anyone might have any recordings of the Karl Baker show. Karl was on Phantom during its pirate days (think it was on Thursday evenings). Very long time listeners may remember him from Phantom's days as Spectrum and even 'longer time' listeners may also remember him from Alcatraz FM (which also featured Paul Clarke AKA Aidan Lynch from Phantom's ICON show).

If anyone has even a few minutes of any of these shows I'd love to get in touch and get a copy.

• Advertisement

blumisalp wrote: »
    A long shot but......since a number of you seem to recall presenters from Phantom's pirate days, I was wondering if anyone might have any recordings of the Karl Baker show. Karl was on Phantom during its pirate days (think it was on Thursday evenings). Very long time listeners may remember him from Phantom's days as Spectrum and even 'longer time' listeners may also remember him from Alcatraz FM (which also featured Paul Clarke AKA Aidan Lynch from Phantom's ICON show).

If anyone has even a few minutes of any of these shows I'd love to get in touch and get a copy.

Interesting reference there - can't help you on this one. Thanks for giving me a new name for my anorak notes!

While we are on the subject of Alcatraz, there is at least one person and most probably two people from that station currently with Phantom. The definite is John Caddell, because I saw references to his stint on Alcatraz on Phantom's website when it was a temporary station. The almost definite is Jack Hyland. If memory serves me right, I first heard Jack Hyland on Alcatraz. Otherwise, it would be Spectrum, where I know for sure I did hear him and got to know his voice. Funnily enough, I don't think John Caddell was on Spectrum. I know I first actually heard him on Phantom in its pirate days.

This is another sad thing about the way personnel has changed on Phantom. Apart from these two, there are no more links left to the pirates which led on to Phantom. The Coast FM connections are gone completely now: Smon Maher, Ger Rowe, Aidan Lynch and John Walshe.

Thought it might be a long shot....you're bang on with the other names Declan. If it helps to jog the memory at all, Karl presented the show on Alcatraz on Sunday afternoons, just before Aidan Lynch's slot (well one of his slots!).

Thought it might be a long shot....you're bang on with the other names Declan. If it helps to jog the memory at all, Karl presented the show on Alcatraz on Sunday afternoons, just before Aidan Lynch's slot (well one of his slots!).

I only intermittently tuned into Alcatraz because I was living in the southside and Alcatraz broadcast from Glasnevin. This meant that I could not always pick up the station - it really depended on where I was (usually involving the car!).

As regards Sundays, it was often not possible for me to listen to the radio at all on a Sunday afternoon as I was busy doing outdoor pursuits quite often.

It should also be noted that I liked listening to Coast FM (elder cousin of Alcatraz!), which I usually had no difficulty picking up....not to mention the fact that I also did a bit of anoraking on the radio dials - licenced and unlicenced!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

I can't help with recordings but I think I remember Karl Baker on Phantom. Was that the show from 7-10 on thursday? Was he the guy that appeared on an episode of RTE's Wanderlust programme?

Does anyone remember the guy who presented on thursday afternoon between 4 and 7 around '98/'99? He was funny. Don't think he lasted that long. And what about the girl who had a show on saturday morning around that time? She used to do a thing called the sci-fi segue?

So, before this gets awkward...I should hold my hands up here and declare my reason for looking for a recording. Fact is that Karl Baker was actually me and in order to massage my ego (joking!) I was looking for a recording of one of the shows :-) Stupidly I never did it myself and I'm coming up with dead ends so far in the places I have tried. So, don't flame me please....just looking for this for posterity!

As to your question, the guy who was on before me on Thursdays was called Mike Morrow and I believe the guy who was with him was possibly called Conor McQueen ( I could be wrong there!). And yes, I was on between 7 and 10 (or it could have been 6 and 9 - long time ago!). And no, I wasn't on Wanderlust...although that did make me laugh as I did wonder for a minute if I had been and had somehow forgotten!

Actually have been thinking about this some more today and realise my last post was wrong. Mike and Conor were on after me on Thursdays, not before. Unless my memory is totally smashed there was, in fact, no one on before me as I used to have to open the station up with the keys at 7PMish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Hmmm. Maybe the chap I thought was on thursday afternoon was on a different day? But there were definitely presenters on from 4pm on at least some week days around that time. Maybe it was from '99 but I'm pretty sure in '98 too.

Anyway good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

So, before this gets awkward...I should hold my hands up here and declare my reason for looking for a recording. Fact is that Karl Baker was actually me and in order to massage my ego (joking!) I was looking for a recording of one of the shows :-) Stupidly I never did it myself and I'm coming up with dead ends so far in the places I have tried. So, don't flame me please....just looking for this for posterity!

As to your question, the guy who was on before me on Thursdays was called Mike Morrow and I believe the guy who was with him was possibly called Conor McQueen ( I could be wrong there!). And yes, I was on between 7 and 10 (or it could have been 6 and 9 - long time ago!). And no, I wasn't on Wanderlust...although that did make me laugh as I did wonder for a minute if I had been and had somehow forgotten!

Simon Maher might have some old recordings. He's on twitter @Simon8Radio

Yeah, he's on my list of people to try....not defeated yet!

Richie McCormack was standing in for John Caddell today. I had heard John mention him a few weeks ago in relation to updating something to do with Phantom.

Whatever about his sportsdesks on 98FM and/or Newstalk, clearly Richie still has some involvement with Phantom. Maybe he will end up back with Phantom presenting programs on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭kieslowski

Sadly Phantom is rapidly going very middle-of-the-road. At certain times of the day 2FM and TodayFM seem more alternative and imaginative in their playlists. What is Pearl at these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

kieslowski wrote: »
    Sadly Phantom is rapidly going very middle-of-the-road. At certain times of the day 2FM and TodayFM seem more alternative and imaginative in their playlists. What is Pearl at these days?

Pearl is on 8Radio (94.3 in Dublin). She's taken her usual time slot Sunday mornings till 12. You can find her there.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Ooh! 8radio is Simon Maher too, right? Thought they were online only, great to hear they're on fm too, will defo give a listen - I've heard good things!

The dial on my kitchen radio was kinda stuck, it had been so long since I moved it, until recently during the breakfast show. Broke my heart to do it but I just can't cope with the "banter", interspersed only occasionally with high rotation tracks of the week.

Also, Declan - Richie McC has still been doing short "music news" segments on John caddell's and Claire Beck's shows. Guess he wanted to move more towards reporting / journalism rather than presenting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Ooh! 8radio is Simon Maher too, right? Thought they were online only, great to hear they're on fm too, will defo give a listen - I've heard good things!

The dial on my kitchen radio was kinda stuck, it had been so long since I moved it, until recently during the breakfast show. Broke my heart to do it but I just can't cope with the "banter", interspersed only occasionally with high rotation tracks of the week.

Well your poor neglected dial will have to wait until the weekend. They broadcast online during the week and on FM at the weekends.

Steve Conway's dulcet tones are also back on Saturday night and Simon himself does the final show on Sunday (as far as i remember)

Generally very pleasing stuff. Really nice to be hearing old and new Irish Indie bands.

Also, Declan - Richie McC has still been doing short "music news" segments on John caddell's and Claire Beck's shows. Guess he wanted to move more towards reporting / journalism rather than presenting?

It has been on a temporary license since Easter weekend, as well as being on-line 24/7. If you want to hear it on FM on the weekends, you had better start listening!

There is already a thread on this forum about 8Radio.com:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056914351

There is also a thread (started by me!) about 8Radio.com on the Radio forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056912267

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Listened to 8radio for most of Sunday, loved it! Reminded me of phantom in the old days :) can't really see why it's getting the criticism on the other thread for abrupt changes in music style - Pearl's show had its (lovely) old reliable vibe, while the rest of the day was more of a mix, which is more what you'd expect from daytime radio (rather than thematic evening output), but with the massive bonus of not hearing the same three or four tracks fifteen times within the day. I loved. V sorry to hear they'll only be on fm for a limited time! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Junk Adele

Now, there is nothing wrong with the following bands but.. Do Phantom have to play The Smiths Depeche Mode on every show, all day every day? I mean, great bands, but all day? Every day? Jesus. How many Bands has the World Born?
    While I'm whining... I Follow Rivers was played to Death when it came out but when it was re-released, Phantom decided to play it to Death "Again"!!!!!! Cos they always played the Original in the Olden days and Youz are all Suckers for playing that New Version coz we always played the Original Version. Jesus

Junk Adele wrote: »
    Now, there is nothing wrong with the following bands but.. Do Phantom have to play The Smiths Depeche Mode on every show, all day every day? I mean, great bands, but all day? Every day? Jesus. How many Bands has the World Born?
    While I'm whining... I Follow Rivers was played to Death when it came out but when it was re-released, Phantom decided to play it to Death "Again"!!!!!! Cos they always played the Original in the Olden days and Youz are all Suckers for playing that New Version coz we always played the Original Version. Jesus
    a lack of imagination, variety, and repetition is fairly emblematic of Phantom's slow slide to mediocrity over the last 2/3 years.

why bother playing much other than the old reliable classics and the new singles from the "safe" bands of the last 10 years?

you would think that the pretty abysmal JNLRs lately would have meant a re-think about playing lots of the same tripe as Today FM from 7am-7pm, but clearly the culture of safe, bland musical direction has spread to the top floor...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

But what are ye bleeding expecting lads? Napalm Death and Autechre all day???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Junk Adele

Nah. Tune into the Golden Hour for that.

Advertisement