Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom - More changes for the worse in mid Sept.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Why get rid of the presenters though? Unless again they're trying to bring in a completely different sound to the station and have Fearne Cotton types to appeal to the yooths?

I'm guessing maybe it is exactly what you said, just there. Derek Byrne, I don't really get. But Richie / Michelle / Pearl were all of the non-yoof demographic (saying that as diplomatically as I can since I fall within that same demographic!) It just all smacks of homogenisation generally; of music, voices, etc.

Either that, or it is simply cost-cutting cos they're screwing up their revenue incomes. Re-runs cost less than live voices. Maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm guessing maybe it is exactly what you said, just there. Derek Byrne, I don't really get. But Richie / Michelle / Pearl were all of the non-yoof demographic (saying that as diplomatically as I can since I fall within that same demographic!) It just all smacks of homogenisation generally; of music, voices, etc.

Either that, or it is simply cost-cutting cos they're screwing up their revenue incomes. Re-runs cost less than live voices. Maybe?

According to Richie and Michelle they left of their own volition. Other presenters might have been turfed out but they said they weren't.

Richie posts on here though - you could PM him and ask.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    According to Richie and Michelle they left of their own volition. Other presenters might have been turfed out but they said they weren't.

Richie posts on here though - you could PM him and ask.

Yes, they said Michelle decided to leave first and kind of implied that Richie had been thinking about it anyway and thought he might as well go at the same time.

Just seems odd that so many of them are clearing out at once. Maybe contracts were all signed in September? So they're all up at once? Dunno. It just seems like very big and dramatic changes happening all at once.

Fair point, I guess we should give the benefit of the doubt to them. Though cynical me wonders if they jumped to avoid being pushed? I can't imagine the atmosphere is very nice in there at the moment, I guess if you're thinking about where your career / life is going and you see the axe falling on so many of your colleagues, it makes you question what's in store for you in the future.

But I am starting to feel a bit bad, speculating about 'real' people's lives here... I guess there's a feeling of ownership of media personalities by the public, when in fact we're all just human beings, facing the same concerns (how to be happy in your job / how to make enough money to keep your business afloat, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Ginny wrote: »
    We lose the doc, Derek and pearl for this z list celebrity tosser? screw that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 The kidloco

Thanks to all the djs for the tunes over the last long long time. Another step backwards for phantom. Sadly i don't see them staying in the game for long; killing the core of what makes the station what it is makes no sense. (I hope I am wrong)
    I only get to listen to Phantom at the weekends and local & national radio in Waterford during the week. More inane chatter is not what I would like from a radio station.
    2 more fine djs also moving on; up and down radio last show 30th September

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Ragnillum wrote: »

.... I certainly wont be listening to donnelly/fennell as neither are funny or bring anything remotely entertaining to the table. Phantom hang your head in shame..

The old pure morning crew were neither funny or remotely entertaining either so it's not like anything has changed. They were also quite bitchy and condescending on top of that, only saving grace was they played better music than other stations. I think the morning slot on phantom has been poor since Sinister Pete left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

saw this on twitter, mp3s of the last shows (and some previous final shows):
    http://songbiscuit.tumblr.com/phantom

That is absolutely brilliant; listened to Simon Maher's last show last night, seriously emotional stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Listened to half an hour of the new breakfast show this morning and it was pretty poor stuff. Sounded like community/college radio with the two presenters spending half an hour arguing whether a kids street game was called kick the can or tip the can.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

If people are interested check my twitter timeline for a link to the last shows by DJ's over the weekend.

I think it was Derek Byrne or RichieMc that I RT'd.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

Moghead wrote: »

The old pure morning crew were neither funny or remotely entertaining either so it's not like anything has changed. They were also quite bitchy and condescending on top of that, only saving grace was they played better music than other stations. I think the morning slot on phantom has been poor since Sinister Pete left.

Had a vastly increased listenership than its predecessor, so I guess each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

^^ just want to point out that's not my quote, i quite liked Richie and Michelle and wasn't a huge fan of Pete at all :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I for one enjoyed Sinister Pete. Of course, this might be a case of rose-tinted glasses. He was unique. Remember his speaking clock! If you ask me, that was part of the two-year downhill changes to the station.

0FRYb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭kieslowski

What ever happened to Sinister Pete? Was the guy all there?

I preferred Richie and Charlotte/Michelle I must say. Great banter. Christ, I flicked through a few stations today and it was Tubridy, D'arcy or Colm thingy. Talk about Hobson's Choice.

0FRYb.png

It's the two guys that were on spin/98 wayyy back.
    Keith Walsh and some other clown. (Joe something or other)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

lordgoat wrote: »

Is that just speculation/a piss-take on your part?

Keith is now the programme director on Phantom so maybe he's decided that he's the best man for the job (hmmm).

Joe is the producer and occasional gag-monkey on the Tom Dunne show on Newstalk, not sure if the breakfast show on Phantom would be regarded as a promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

That's me finished with Phantom so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Sounds like it's gonna be wacky and/or zaney with a good helping of havin the crack and/or banter. They're probably getting trianed up by the crazy guys on 98fm just so they're primed and ready to bore and irritate in a couple of weeks. Ugh.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Keith was grand when filling in on phantom, but Keith and joe? Jesus I hope not, train wreck springs to mind. Didn't they do all those cringetastic prank calls?

• Advertisement

Oh. Dear. God.

Also, another elimination of female DJ voices off the radio. I'm not saying all female DJs are great and deserve to be there (or indeed deserve to be there just cos they're female) but the lack of gender diversity in radio felt like it was improving slightly on Phantom... shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

Well at least Stadium Rock dodged the chop. It's a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Dear god no. If that's the case, there's something seriously wrong.

Keith is now the programme director on Phantom so maybe he's decided that he's the best man for the job (hmmm).
    And how did Keith end up as Phantom's programme director??

They'll have an XFactor tie in to replace the weekend shows next....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

sorry who is this lad? links to a blog or profile anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The curious thing about Keith and Joe is that as a double-act they go back to Phantom the pirate.

On the female dj or presenter front, Phantom still has the following: Orlagh Donnelly, Alison Curtis, Clare Beck and Laura Lee Conboy.

On the subject of Laura Lee Conboy (someone who hardly ever gets mentioned), she is one of the presenters left from the original fully-licenced lineup from 2006.

Initially, Laura Lee presented "Nitelink" from Midnight Sundays until 2am. After about a month, she took over from Sinister Pete as presenter of "Spiral Stares", a program she has presented ever since. Eventually, her Sunday show was dropped. "Spiral Stares" went from Wednesday at 8pm to Thursday at 10pm. One of the unsung heroes/herioines of Phantom. I cannot understand how she has only got two hours every week, unless that suits her of course.

Nadine O'Regan too.

is Sinead still there Sunday mornings? i'm never up that early :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hichcock

how much cash is management saving at phantom by removing some of its better dj's

take James Byrne's show prob the best that phantom had on air 12-2 sat eve/sun morn and id imagine at that hour it isn't chewing up too many resources that a play list / repeat track wont equally consume
    so are they only saving what they pay the presenters which i can only imagine the guy is not driving a Aston martin with the proceeds.
    there was no adds so no income but the credibility shows like this give a station are invaluable

you would have to question why this was a show with no advertising or little cross promotion between presenters

just to compare to pearls show another asset to the station ,ran adds and was hugely popular. so the decision to finish s.m.c.d is one i cant figure as it encouraged people to tune in from a early hour on sun morning and I'm presuming paid for its self . win win

if removing weekend staff = savings why keep carcrash orla & eamon on air sun eve
    if i happend across them station hopping i would never tune to 105 again

i just dont get it id love the reckoning behind the cull of talent to be explained to a empty head like me :o

i guess we'll have a better idea this weekend when we see what's replacing them...
    if it's just repeats/best-ofs then it's obviously just a money-saving move.

Nadine O'Regan too.

is Sinead still there Sunday mornings? i'm never up that early :o

Sinead still does the kiosk on a Saturday morning. Sinead Ni Curmain does an Irish show on Sunday mornings, no idea if she avoided the chop. Pretty decent show too. Very early though!
    hichcock wrote: »
    how much cash is management saving at phantom by removing some of its better dj's

take James Byrne's show prob the best that phantom had on air 12-2 sat eve/sun morn and id imagine at that hour it isn't chewing up too many resources that a play list / repeat track wont equally consume
    so are they only saving what they pay the presenters which i can only imagine the guy is not driving a Aston martin with the proceeds.
    there was no adds so no income but the credibility shows like this give a station are invaluable

you would have to question why this was a show with no advertising or little cross promotion between presenters

just to compare to pearls show another asset to the station ,ran adds and was hugely popular. so the decision to finish s.m.c.d is one i cant figure as it encouraged people to tune in from a early hour on sun morning and I'm presuming paid for its self . win win

if removing weekend staff = savings why keep carcrash orla & eamon on air sun eve
    if i happend across them station hopping i would never tune to 105 again

i just dont get it id love the reckoning behind the cull of talent to be explained to a empty head like me :o

Ironically one of the reasons given the people being axed is that they played music that 'regular listeners whould not be used to' and would encourage them to change station.

I laughed heartily and sadly at that one.

Kinda hoping the ones who leave apply for temp licenses and get their shows back on the air... I'd listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Ironically one of the reasons given the people being axed is that they played music that 'regular listeners whould not be used to' and would encourage them to change station.

I laughed heartily and sadly at that one.

Kinda hoping the ones who leave apply for temp licenses and get their shows back on the air... I'd listen.

I could be wrong here but surely the Music Director would dictate what the presenters play? I've often heard Phantom presenters make the odd remark in relation to 'having to play' a particular track.

Advertisement