Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetary Annihilation kickstarter

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So apparently we have a PC Gaming forum. Here's what I said in the main forum.

There's a whole bunch of things I could talk about, like how the 3D spherical maps are just an annoying gimmick, or how the gameplay favours spamming over anything else, or how the UI has no tooltips for ambiguous buttons, but the main gripe is that the single-player mode, with you vs the AI, still has to use the online servers, cannot be saved, and is completely lost if there is a disconnect.

They're still talking about the game on their own forums as if it wasn't released yet, saying they want to do X, Y and Z to fix problems in the future, as if that wasn't a ludicrous attitude to have for a game that is supposed to be a full release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

Skerries wrote: »
    I bought it on sale for something like €15 during the summer sales

As did I and I still regret doing so. Not having looked much into it led me to believe it was going to be akin to SupCom where instead it's another multiplayer-focused clickfest.

Oh well.

I haven't been following this one at all but loved TA, one of my all time favs. I presume it's a spiritual sequel? Doe's it have a single player campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Reviews are coming back very poor now from reputable sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

just curious, like who? I vowed back when this was 90 quid not to buy it unti lit went on full release and now i'm not even sure of that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Rock, Paper, Shotgun have an opinion piece "Wot I Think: Planetary Annihilation" that is favourable overall.
    Planetary Annihilation is a slick, modernised RTS, engineered from the ground up to appeal to the fast-paced, competitive, hotkey-loving esports crowd. For people like me, it is a bruising gauntlet of defeat. But even I can see the appeal. Putting aside the fact that to play online you need a quad-core processor instead of a brain, the game itself has a huge amont of character. Even if it doesn’t supplant StarCraft as the RTS du jour, I’m confident it’ll attract a sizeable following. The ‘story’ of Planetary Annihilation’s universe is that humans have gone extinct and self-replicating robots have woken up to carry on their endless war against one another. Judging from the multiplayer servers, that seems about right.
    A lot of the user reviews on Steam on the other hand are negative, with unfinished polish, poor balancing, limited strategies available, and server issues ruining the single player and multiplayer alike. Hope this is improved because it looks like it could be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Rock, Paper, Shotgun have an opinion piece "Wot I Think: Planetary Annihilation" that is favourable overall.

A lot of the user reviews on Steam on the other hand are negative, with unfinished polish, poor balancing, limited strategies available, and server issues ruining the single player and multiplayer alike. Hope this is improved because it looks like it could be fun.

I could forgive a lot of the flaws if it was actually finished at release. I was very very patient and forced myself to not buy until it was formally released, because I am 100% done with playing half-baked betas and the issues and excuses that come with them. I was delighted when I saw it out on Steam, bought it at a discount (thankfully) and was really annoying to find it was basically still a beta, but they needed more funding to finish it so they released it before it was ready.

Talking about it online can be tricky as well, because there is a core group of fanboys who have been committed since the start and can't see the forest for the trees anymore. They're posting a bunch of 10 star reviews on Metacritic and giving out about negative reviews from people who didn't spent $100 on the Kickstarter. Also a lot of the ten star reviews seem to be from kids going WOW YOU CAN BLOW UP PLANETS AWESOMEEPICNESS and little else.

just curious, like who? I vowed back when this was 90 quid not to buy it unti lit went on full release and now i'm not even sure of that
    IGN, Eurogamer, and the metacritic user review average is 6/10 which to me isnt a game you would buy unless you were really determined to look past its flaws and unfortunately there seems to be a group of people out there willing to give it 10/10 no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

IGN, Eurogamer, and the metacritic user review average is 6/10 which to me isnt a game you would buy unless you were really determined to look past its flaws and unfortunately there seems to be a group of people out there willing to give it 10/10 no matter what.

I never trust those user reviews on metacritic, have a look at the COH2 one it's hilariously low compared to the critic reviews. feck it, i'll stick to my guns until a steamsale makes it too tempting to resist

I never trust those user reviews on metacritic, have a look at the COH2 one it's hilariously low compared to the critic reviews. feck it, i'll stick to my guns until a steamsale makes it too tempting to resist
    Yeah i dont trust user reviews too much on that site either as you can see the fanboys giving it all 10s and haters giving extremely low scores whereas the reality is its probably a good 6 rising into the 7s with updates i would say.

i will probably keep an eye on it too and depending on how it pans out i may pick it up in steam sale.

That being said there are plenty of quality PC titles out between now and christmas to swallow up my cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

Planetary Annihilation on bundlestars for €11.20, seems like a decent price, am playing forged alliance on the FAF client tho not sure if I'll play it over it.

Advertisement